Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Two points about Vette

"An unquenchable spark, Vette is older than her years but far from mature, delighting in silly pranks and always ready to laugh at people who think too much of themselves".

1/. She sounds like a clone of Ahsoka Tano, the revolting 'Snips' from The Clone Wars. In 2008 Ahsoka, you will remember, was voted 2nd Worst Star Wars Character (the poll being topped by Jar-Jar Binks) in PC Gamer Magazine. Ahsoka was introduced, according to George Lucas because he wanted a character like Yuffie from Final Fantasy VII to attract younger teen feemales to his franchise.

2/. If this girlish tween prose that would be rejected by the crappiest manga comic - "...delighting in silly pranks and always ready to laugh at people who think too much of themselves..." - represents the quality of writing we're going to meet in game, then every cent Bioware has sunk into 'story' is wasted.

Comments

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Use your straws for drinking cool beverages instead of attacking a game. You're grasping.

• safetysafety Member Posts: 219

Originally posted by Comnitus

Use your straws for drinking cool beverages instead of attacking a game. You're grasping.

Ha ha.

It's rotten writing, real Twilight-meets-iCarly stuff, and you know it - even if you can't admit it.

Ha ha.

It's rotten writing, real Twilight-meets-iCarly stuff, and you know it - even if you can't admit it.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by safety

Ha ha.

So you're telling us it's *too close* to what George Lucas would do himself?

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Ha ha.

I don't find it so.  I think this gripe is a little over the top, even for you safety.  Out of the tons of storylines that have been released, the explanations of the planets and voiced videos outlining the history, you chalk all further writing based on one..single...character profile.   

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Originally posted by GTwander

Ha ha.

Exactly!

Wait...

DAMMIT!

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Ha ha.

I don't find it so.  I think this gripe is a little over the top, even for you safety.  Out of the tons of storylines that have been released, the explanations of the planets and voiced videos outlining the history, you chalk all further writing based on one..single...character profile.   

Obviously, if the game isn't completely perfect, it's not good enough for safety. Besides, BioWare is stupid. Trying to have a variety of character personalities, pfft. What were they thinking?

Originally posted by GTwander

Ha ha.

You mean the George Lucas, the father of Jar-Jar Binks?

http://www.madeofawesome.net/site/comments/george_lucas_loses_mind_how_he_ruined_the_clone_wars/

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

"An unquenchable spark, Vette is older than her years but far from mature, delighting in silly pranks and always ready to laugh at people who think too much of themselves".

1/. She sounds like a clone of Ahsoka Tano, the revolting 'Snips' from The Clone Wars. In 2008 Ahsoka, you will remember, was voted 2nd Worst Star Wars Character (the poll being topped by Jar-Jar Binks) in PC Gamer Magazine. Ahsoka was introduced, according to George Lucas because he wanted a character like Yuffie from Final Fantasy VII to attract younger teen feemales to his franchise.

2/. If this girlish tween prose that would be rejected by the crappiest manga comic - "...delighting in silly pranks and always ready to laugh at people who think too much of themselves..." - represents the quality of writing we're going to meet in game, then every cent Bioware has sunk into 'story' is wasted.

Really? I don't know, but you should check out the back cover of some novels and you'll see the same sort of hackneyed thumbnail sketch of characters. Writing thumbnail sketches is a different art to deveoping characters and dialogue, it means nothing in terms of the quality of the writing in-game. And generally those snippets are written by marketing, not by the game writers/novelists.

And what's wrong with putting a companion character in there, y'know, for kids. If they bug you, you won't have to keep them out with you...

Originally posted by Hopscotch73

Originally posted by safety.

Really? I don't know, but you should check out the back cover of some novels and you'll see the same sort of hackneyed thumbnail sketch of characters. Writing thumbnail sketches is a different art to deveoping characters and dialogue, it means nothing in terms of the quality of the writing in-game. And generally those snippets are written by marketing, not by the game writers/novelists.

And what's wrong with putting a companion character in there, y'know, for kids. If they bug you, you won't have to keep them out with you...

That's not strictly speaking true. Companions are class-based. If you're  Sith Marauder - say - and Vette is assigned to your class, then like it or not, she's your companion. You may choose not to take her out but then that would be like a WOW Hunter choosing not to use a pet.

• hardsuithardsuit Member Posts: 10

Originally posted by Hopscotch73

Originally posted by safety.

That's not strictly speaking true. Companions are class-based. If you're  Sith Marauder - say - and Vette is assigned to your class, then like it or not, she's your companion. You may choose not to take her out but then that would be like a WOW Hunter choosing not to use a pet.

Yes they're class based and you end up with multiple companions so your stuck with her until you get another one or are forced to use her because of the quest. Which means people with have to just deal with her or not play the class at all.

Can't complain about the writing as we know NOTHING about the story. If your going to complain about something, complain about the lack of information there is about the game. Or the bad writing used in the bits of information we do receive. Or maybe that they released information about a single companion for a single class. What about companions for the other classes?

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

She's being paired with a Sith Warrior.  I'm fairly certain she will be designed specifically to provide an option to temper the seriousness that a Sith warrior embodies.  I'd guess its up to the player if he wants to give her a "pass" and allows her to be herself or whether he wants to bully her into submission and break her lightheartedness... either way provides an interesting dynamic to the growth of your character.

I also suspect the character herself is designed to attract male gamers, and not female gamers.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Indeed, I mean... seriously

She's a person who's always ready to laugh at others -------> OMG she's Ahsoka Tano....

Do you equate other people in life just because they share one similar character motive, I don't even saw Ahsoka laugh much, and she's certainly not a former slave and current scoundrel.

If anything, Vette is somewhat based on Mission Vao; from KOTOR.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Ha ha.

Obviously, if the game isn't completely perfect, it's not good enough for safety. Besides, BioWare is stupid. Trying to have a variety of character personalities, pfft. What were they thinking?

I am really starting to struggle with the repeated negative pointless posts. Oh well...

Having companions for the story arc being offered to all the classes to play along with is nothing short of excelent. The more Bioware put out there the better the game and the play options look. Having a nice story arc to work through when time does not allow for PvP/PvE or other world activities is a great idea.

The OP seems to have 150 million reasons why SWTOR will not work, I wonder if he manages to list them all before the game releases... ?

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

She's a person who's always ready to laugh at others -------> OMG she's Ahsoka Tano....

Do you equate other people in life just because they share one similar character motive, I don't even saw Ahsoka laugh much, and she's certainly not a former slave and current scoundrel.

Oh for goodness sake. They're both sparky young Twi'lek girls apprenticed to older, more serious men and theiur impetuousness and eagerness often get them into trouble! And yet despite the fact they're both about fourteen, they're also expert in their comba professions.

Pardon me while I vomit at the lame lack of imagination that crapped out Ahsoka and now Vette.

Just my personal opinion, of course.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Oh for goodness sake. They're both sparky young Twi'lek girls apprenticed to older, more serious men and theiur impetuousness and eagerness often get them into trouble! And yet despite the fact they're both about fourteen, they're also expert in their comba professions.

Pardon me while I vomit at the lame lack of imagination that crapped out Ahsoka and now Vette.

Ahsoka is not a Twi'lek, Vette's age is never mentioned; their histories are completely different.

If I had to sum up every woman character in gaming that had prone combat skills and got into trouble a lot, there'd be a freaking shitload of Ahsoka's running around using your logic; there's only so many ways you can write a character outline that makes sense in a game setting.

Barely half a page of character outlining, with by far most of it not being anywhere similar to eachother and yet you decide they are the same thing and the writing is rubbish or based on the writing for a freaking cartoon (which the team is totally unrelated with).

Stop grasping at straws for anything you can even remotely use to throw shit at this game..

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

Ahsoka is not a Twi'lek, Vette's age is never mentioned; their histories are completely different.

If I had to sum up every woman character in gaming that had prone combat skills and got into trouble a lot, there'd be a freaking shitload of Ahsoka's running around using your logic; there's only so many ways you can write a character outline that makes sense in a game setting.

Barely half a page of character outlining, with by far most of it not being anywhere similar to eachother and yet you decide they are the same thing and the writing is rubbish or based on the writing team for a freaking cartoon (which the team is totally unrelated at).

Stop grasping at straws for anything you can even remotely use to throw shit at this game..

Vette's age is never mentioned, you're also correct about Vette being closer to being Mission Vao.

And since Saftey grabbed the age "14" out of thin air, figured I should mention Missions Vao was also 14....Not that it matters, this thread is completely silly. I doubt safety even knows who Mission was, he thought Ahsoka was a twi'lek.