Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you recomend wow?

pussaykatpussaykat Member Posts: 791

A friend of mine has updated his clockwork computer. He never tried wow and i was hesitent to recomend it because of the added costs of the game and expansions and monthly fees.

Would you recomend it or some other game maybe?

-Would you like cheddar or swiss cheese?
-Yes.

Comments

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155

I would recommend it yes.

• ColdSunColdSun Member Posts: 210

No way in hell.  Unless you want to ruin your "friend's" life.

ColdSun

• pussaykatpussaykat Member Posts: 791

Up until recently he was playing diablo 2 so he's a fan of blizzard made games still. He'd probably like it.

-Would you like cheddar or swiss cheese?
    -Yes.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

I couldn't recommend someone starting this now so late into the game, the initial cost to get up to date and the monthly fee's on top of it surely doesn't seem to be practical for them. Not to mention this person may end up not enjoying it all that much, so I think it would be best to try a f2p WoW "clone" like Runes of Magic before shoveling out all that cash.

RoM isn't all that different, the basics of WoW is are there. So after a month or two, if they still found that game to be enjoyable, then making the move to WoW would probably work out for them.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Since I've not played it since 3 weeks in to the EU launch, NO I'd not recommend it for anybody looking for a little depth to their MMO and not chase a gear grind as content.

• rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539

Depends really does your friend like challenge to his game or something casual he can get right in that doesn't really require much skill and isn't difficult.If the later then yea I would probly recommend it.If he is old school mmoger then no he will probly want and is used to more difficult games.WoW has a habit of also making older mmogers lazy I noticed after playing WoW I would go back to older games that i enjoyed playing amd was having a diffcult time getting use to playing a game again that made me actually think a lil before I foguht a mob.

WoW is a fun game but it is very shallow and easy imo 90% of the wow community sadly is made up of alot of immature people who tend to be rude to anyone and everyone because unlike the older mmogs or smaller mmogs there is no downside to there actions.In older games uo,eq1,daoc.,AO.AC1 and so forth you cared about your rep and it was easy to get blacklisted out of games,teams,guilds.There is no fear of that in WoW its pretty accepablt to just be rude to whoeever and not care if they like it or not.I wouild wager 80% of the wow sub.player base wouldn't make it a week in a old school mmog.They are so used to owning everytihing in a game a even con mob kicking there a** would be enough for them to take to the forums crying and go back to playing something else.

• CavallCavall Member Posts: 272

Personally, I could not  reccomend a game on the last legs of its developmental lifespan such as WOW. We've got Cata, then developmend will likely slow down quite a bit or, more than likely now that Bobby Kotick and the shareholders have the final say, completely cease. I would more likely reccomend a game such as Aion as far as age goes (not gameplay, Aion is a bit off in that  category unless youre an oldschool MMO'er who's played Lineage 1 and/or 2), but if their PC can handle it and they are willing to wait a few months, I would suggest TERA, FFXIV, GW2, and posssibly the new Star Wars MMO.

Note, I currently play WOW so this is just an honest opinion. I cannot, in my right consceince, suggest someone begin this game from scratch this far into the game's lifespan.

• sultharsulthar Member Posts: 298

Do you really ask this in a WOW hater forum?

It is the most played MMO, anything more needs to be said?

The game is well desinged, those who dont agree is because they arent honest, they might not like it the way it is done but its well made. about the 90% immature players... guess this guy aint lucky. Every game has about the same % of immature people, hacker, gold sellers and people that take advantage of the new players, If there is more pleople in a game there is also more immature people since the ammount is folling the ratio. Try Eve as an exemple, noob traps are eveywhere, yellow abandonned cans that when u loot em u get pvp tagged and get ganked, false mining ops announced only in noob sector... etc etc.

Wow has its own game style, clone by many, and its popularity frustrate many people that doesnt like its gaming style.

I suggest you to get a friend pass.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Easiest learning curve, ease of playability and a fun game, with a large playerbase, the largest in fact, granted there is also an immature element, but they are by no means atypical of the game, nor is it a game in decline even, despite claims to the contrary, WoW appears to be 'evolving' which, compared to numerous other MMO's of its genre (and quite a few not!) is no mean achievement. But despite its detractors, it is a fun game, which probably is why its as popular as it is, i dont think so many people would play this game if they werent having fun after all, the only real complaint i have about the game, is the graphics, they are a bit too cartoony, maybe some find that appealing.. i dont .. personally.. but despite that, its a very playable game. so would i recommend this game to anyone. i have.. admittedly, mostly to family members under the age of 20...male and female, and so far they seem to have enjoyed the experience!

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Absolutely, however, I don't think the experience of getting to maximum level is great in WoW atm, with everyone running around in heirlooms and everything being a streamlined machine to go into instances and finish them and quests as quickly as possible.

I'd tell them to wait at least until after cataclysm.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

WoW is a good starter MMO. It's easy to learn how to play it and pretty much plays at a kindergarten level throughout most of the game. Once you get into raiding its more about math and memory (stats and raid encounter placements).

If anything your friend should give it a shot, especially if he enjoys other Blizzard titles. I mean whats he got to lose? If he ends up liking it and decides to keep playing, more power to him. If not, hell, he's only out what, a few gigs worth of downloading and a couple of days of play time?

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• fawdownfawdown Member UncommonPosts: 186

I would say that there are things to consider beforehand.

It is rather easy to get into.  So if your friend likes a game that starts easy and remains simplistic for some time after with a fairly easy learning curve, it would probably be ok.  But on the flip side, it is rather easy to get to the end game.  It seems to me to be an arcade or console-like version MMO, that isn't as much of a time sink as many other ones.  It really depends on how much time they have.  There are some games out there where there is so much content that you could roll 3-4 characters, nearly to the top without seeing all of it.  That might not be for them.  Knowing them, you could tell which is best. 

But there is the concern of cost to get started and play.  The software has an initial cost to get it all and it's probably the most expensive one out there to get all the content.  Plus there is the 14.99 monthly fee.  There are other games that either have a free software download or else an all in one retail pack that is all inclusive and much cheaper.  But they still have the 14.99 fee.  The free trial is probably the best way to start to see if it is worth it to them to spend on all the software needed.

Most games have a free trial.  That might be the best way to start.  If they would prefer something that has a longer road to the top due to larger content, and diversions like crafting that has some actual usefulness, there are other options.

But again, you know them better than we do.

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

I would suggest that they get the free trial to get a feeling for what the game is like.  if they like it they can get the whole thing.  Apart from expansion costs and the monthly fee wow is a pretty good deal: the only expenditure above the aforementioned is time.  And someone can get to max level and fully geared in emblem stuff within a month, month and a half.  most servers still have leveling guilds and apart from the preponderance of complete a-holes (and what mmo doesn't have that) its not a terribad game.  It is rather soulless tho which I find ironic seeing as how it sucks the souls of so many of its users lol.

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

Two years ago, I might.  Not now.  But maybe after Cataclsym, it might be noob-friendly again. 

But if he played now, he'd find a solo experience, albeit a free-range one.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

I would advise someone to wait for cata before starting, if the 4 new races don't appeal to them then they can go spend $15 and pick up vanillia WoW and play for 30 days.

With or without the cata expansions they will see and play the new 1-60, and a good many will be rerolling to see this new 1-60, to try out the new class/race combinations and the 2 new races.  The 1-60 zones will be heaving with players, PVP servers will come alive again and it will almost be like launch day.

I cannot wait.

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

To a friend, who happened to never play WoW : Do you wanna lose your life, money, time and become completely addicted to something for few years? Spend most of your day discussing some stuff noone else understand? Then realising your mistake and after some time repeating this whole process? Yes? really? Then come over here. I have this game it is called World of Warcraft and it is an MMO....

We all went through that sadly:D

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Originally posted by Pigozz

To a friend, who happened to never play WoW : Do you wanna lose your life, money, time and become completely addicted to something for few years? Spend most of your day discussing some stuff noone else understand? Then realising your mistake and after some time repeating this whole process? Yes? really? Then come over here. I have this game it is called World of Warcraft and it is an MMO....

We all went through that sadly:D

But surely it's the person to blame not the game if they cannot stop playing and neglect more important things? 

Been playing off and no for 5 year's and I am doing just fine.  I got this odd twitch but I am sure it was no caused by WoW.

Thus I conclude, only recommend WoW, and any MMO to others after they have undergone numerous tests to see if they are easily addicited to things, if they are then lock them away as they have no place society. image

• DreathorDreathor Member Posts: 537

I'd recommend WoW, but I'd also suggest waiting until Cataclysm as the new player/leveling experience will be far superior.

"If all you can say is... "It's awful, it's not innovative, it's ugly, it's blah.." Then you're an unimaginative and unpolished excuse for human life" -eburn

• DerrialDerrial Member Posts: 250

Originally posted by Dreathor
    I'd recommend WoW, but I'd also suggest waiting until Cataclysm as the new player/leveling experience will be far superior.

^

• GrakelGrakel Member Posts: 92

At this point I would with a warning of the cost he's going to incur though. Make sure he enjoys the trial and has friends playing that will play with him too. As much as I regret the changes Blizz has made to WoW, for instance SW Harbor, no one runs through Wetlands anymore, I still think it's an interesting game to a point. Pretty much anything after you hit 80 seems like a waste to me at best. But if he enjoys the trial and can get into the addon aspect of the game, one of my favorite parts, he might enjoy it for the first few runs to 80.

Played in some form:
    UO til tram, AC, EQ, AO, WW2O, PS, SB, CoH, AC2, Hor, LoTRO, DDO, AoC, Aion, CO, STO
    Playing: WoW (for gf), WAR
    Waiting For: SWTOR, FFXVI
    Hoping For: DCUO, Secret World, Earthrise
    -S- (UO Sonoma)

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

Originally posted by just2duh

I couldn't recommend someone starting this now so late into the game, the initial cost to get up to date and the monthly fee's on top of it surely doesn't seem to be practical for them. Not to mention this person may end up not enjoying it all that much, so I think it would be best to try a f2p WoW "clone" like Runes of Magic before shoveling out all that cash.

RoM isn't all that different, the basics of WoW is are there. So after a month or two, if they still found that game to be enjoyable, then making the move to WoW would probably work out for them.

Why not recommend it .... it takes 2-3 weeks to hit 80 and be decked out in epics. For a new player who may or may not be able to keep that pace, it cost 19 bucks with a free month. Not to mention he can try the free trial. So If he likes it up to level 60, he should enjoy the rest of the game enough to purchase each xpac.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Free Trial, let him make up his own mind.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218

If your a real friend then dont.

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Originally posted by Bama1267

Originally posted by just2duh

Why not recommend it .... it takes 2-3 weeks to hit 80 and be decked out in epics. For a new player who may or may not be able to keep that pace, it cost 19 bucks with a free month. Not to mention he can try the free trial. So If he likes it up to level 60, he should enjoy the rest of the game enough to purchase each xpac.

Why not recommend it?  There are plenty of reasons not to recommend it:

Nothing you do has any meaning in the game.  Nothing you do affects the outcome of the world in any fashion.  Everybody is pretty much sporting the same gear (those bosses must have factories in China and Mexico cranking out their loot) and everybody has pretty much the same build.  You will be one of hundreds if not thousands of the same exact thing for your class and role.

As opposed to content, Blizzard has focused on gear disparity as the means of progression.  Take a look at the stats on the gear of a fresh 80 compared to somebody running a few heroics and notice about how many levels that works out to be.  Then compare that to those that are raiding and see the same.  Instead of providing actual content to justify the increase in a particular character's abilities as they continue to level, you end up running the same few raids basically to double or more the stats on your equipment - basically giving you almost another 80 levels from the tedious grind of a few instances.

Various channels are full of spam from gold sellers, you receive messages randomly from morons trying to get you to compromise your account, and in general the community is full of ADHD prepubescents waiting for their testes to drop.  Everything possible to destroy any sense of immersion in the game exists for your displeasure.

The few original ideas or innovations in the game exist from trying to fix things they broke, otherwise - almost everything about WoW has been ripped off from some other IP or another.  It is hilarious when people refer to other games as WoW clones, when WoW itself is a hodgepodge clone in of itself of unoriginality.

Because of the continued dumbing down and increased ease of leveling in the game, vast areas of the game world are completely ignored now as you can bat an eye and be at 80.  There is not a lot of reason to do much of anything in the game, because everything has been streamlined to get you to a non-existent end game of repetitive inaction.

With nothing to do, you will find that many people are bored and working on their 6th, 7th, or more level 80 on that particular server.  Some run twinks at the various levels.  This has unbalanced the economy, making low level items and resources unaffordable for those that do not have higher level farming characters already available to them.

I could go on and on about what is wrong with WoW, and it is a shame that when you cancel your account you are so limited in explaining to Blizzard everything that is wrong with the game - having instead to chose a single item, when in reality - no single item is really all that reason to quit the game; but when you look at everything that is wrong - you kind of end up doing a /facepalm each time you log in.

If you are looking for a great time sink (having come to the conclusion that there is nothing on TV), want to spend less money (because those single player games that cost $50+ usually last a weekend if that), want something that requires more buttons and mouse movements than Bejeweled (though not as much thought), and you have seen videos of the female Night Elf dance (but not the male Human dance)... then perhaps giving WoW a try might be a good idea...

...personally, I would only recommend it to people that I do not like and want to go away short of wishing they die in a fire.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• bobbadudbobbadud Member Posts: 268

Originally posted by VirusDancer

50 lines of frustration... and then this:

...personally, I would only recommend it to people that I do not like and want to go away short of wishing they die in a fire.

Could Blizzard even ask for a better publicity?

It’s embarrassing when an NPC compliments you in an MMo, the only relevant, cool and epic things come from players whispering you “Grtz, mate, we did it”. copyright Pilnkplonk