Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I wonder how many casual players fall for these scams?

RaythorRaythor Member Posts: 134

Here is a c&p of the most recent phishing attempt email I received (this morning). Good thing that there is still some broken engrish. But this made me wonder how many casual players get their accounts jacked when they get these things mailed to them. I'm afraid to guess, but I would speculate that many fall for it.

To me, theft is theft, no matter if the item in question is tangible, or digital. I would think that since you sign (click) your life away on the eula and tos, that the true 'owner' could prosecute en-mass the people who run these scams. But suing a foreign entity, in their own country is rather difficult I assume.

Your thoughts? 

Greetings!

Recently, the problem of account invasion is getting worse and worse which cause enormous players’equipments and virtual currency stolen. This severely damages the benefits of mass players, also causes our company lose a lot of customers.

Our company has to adopt some measures to safeguard our common benefits in order to strengthen the safety of mass players'accounts, and firmly resist the account to be stolen again.Through our company's research and investigation to xxx customers,we will make the following decisions: we launch a package of updated code strengthen system and dynamic code protection card which can effectively prevent the accounts invaded. We will send this package of code protection system to players free of charge.

Please open this connection:  (Hook Hyperlink for the email was here)

If your account passes the check successfully, we will send this package of dynamic code protection card to you in the form of e-mail.

In 3 days after you receiving the e-mail, if you don't submit your information, we have right to freeze your account, every player is obligated to protect the safety of the account. You must work together with us to be determined to crack down all the behaviors of destroying games.

If you had already authenticator your account, please disregard this automatic notification.

Regards,

The World of Warcraft Support Team

Blizzard Entertainment

(Fake Blizzard Hyperlink was here)

Comments

• VeldekarVeldekar Member Posts: 220

All of these phish-mails that I have recieved have shown up in my spam folder in my gmail account. Anything official always shows up in my inbox. The first time I got one of these scams, I opened the mail and a big banner appeared at the top of the box and said (paraphrasing) 'warning: this e-mail may not be from who it says it is" in big bold red letters, so I immediately deleted it and never looked at another one again.

Gmail ftw!!

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

Alot of people fall for these mails.

That's buisness for someone in the east, why bother if it didnt work, right?

What people need to understand is, every man and his mother is scammers on the internet, do not trust anyone unless you know them irl.

NEVER GIVE YOUR ACCOUNT DETAILS TO ANYONE!

That is the main reason people get hacked.

Runner up is keyloggers, but that is no way near phishing.

• CavallCavall Member Posts: 272

More than enough to keep them targetted at the WOW community as opposed to some other game. Entry level MMORPGs tend to be easy to trick players of, as opposed to "advanced" MMORPG games, due to the playerbase. Many WOW players just don't know any better, even with the constant warnings ingame and out.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Originally posted by Raythor

Good thing that there is still some broken engrish.

Haha, you weren't kidding either. That should have been anyone's first clue that it was fake, but then again most mmoer's aren't generally known for having the best grammar, so I could see how some people may overlook that and fall for these types of scams.

As for taking legal action for theft aggainst the people behind this, they technically aren't stealing anything, it is being given to them. It would be up to blizzard to take action for impersonating their company with malicious intent, but since they instead chose to charge people more to help secure their accounts, I don't see that ever happening.

• CavallCavall Member Posts: 272

That and it's very difficult to sue someone from across the world, especially these phishers/keyloggers/hackers who have been at it for longer than WOW has existed. They don't get jailed for a reason =p One of which being that Chinese law has a lot of things that prevent American law from being applied to Chinese citizens.

• nemo38nemo38 Member Posts: 143

I have been recieving about one a day in my chat window. The first one I ever recieved read something like: "Congratulations! you have won an exclusive mount! Please got to this site to claim your prize" not quoting word for word but you get the idea.