Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raiding: Is guild membership necessary?

dyermaker714dyermaker714 Member UncommonPosts: 192

Do you have to be in a guild to have any real chance of attaining some nice pve gear? I ask because I work a lot during the week and thus can only really devote my weekends to raiding so im wondering if you have to be a fulltime or "hardcore" player to have any realistic expectations of getting all decked out with ICC items and such. Also how do you go about getting PvP specific gear.

Sry, im a returning player from vanilla and early bc so im kinda behind. thanks :)

Comments

• DreathorDreathor Member Posts: 537

Not necessary at all - there are PuG/random raids going every day to most tiers of content (at least on very populated servers - it may be more difficult on a low pop).

There are probably a few casual/weekend raiding guilds you could join - have a look around on your server forums.

PvP gear :
    - Off-pieces obtained from Honor points (from battlegrounds)
    - Latest season set pieces obtained from Arena points (by playing 10+ arena matches each week)
    - Previous season set pieces from Honor points or PvE badges

"If all you can say is... "It's awful, it's not innovative, it's ugly, it's blah.." Then you're an unimaginative and unpolished excuse for human life" -eburn

• eisenryueisenryu Member Posts: 157

For raiding? No.

For doing good in raids? Yes

For getting gear in raids? Most Indubitably.

World of Warcraft is the original creation of God. Real Life is in fact a WoW clone.

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

You used to have to be in a good guild.  The changes that they have made to the game, however, have made things far more accessible and with the probable addition of the random raid finder (which is supposed to be much like the random dungeon finder) the need for a guild is less and less. 

Now, one catch: alot of what I said is very much server dependent.  My mains are all on one of hte slowest progression servers in all of wow.  On my alliance server they are far more serious about raiding and its harder to get into good ICC groups.

• CavallCavall Member Posts: 272

The US realms have recently taken after the idea of CN and Taiwan WOW's servers GDKP (Gold DKP) raids. Basically you buy the gear from the pug or guild, which is usually made up of the best people on the realm willing to pug along with their clients. A Full ICC clear can run anywhere from 5-10k per person  and the pot is split among all members at the end of the raid who did not use their "gold DKP".  I'm not exactly sure how it works but it seems to be similar to that.

So no, you do not need a good guild anymore, just alot of gold to hire one.

• DreathorDreathor Member Posts: 537

Originally posted by Cavall
    . . and the pot is split among all members at the end of the raid who did not use their "gold DKP".  I'm not exactly sure how it works . .

The pot is split between everyone who is still in the raid when it ends; regardless if they bought anything or not. At least the GDKP raids I've been in worked like that.

"If all you can say is... "It's awful, it's not innovative, it's ugly, it's blah.." Then you're an unimaginative and unpolished excuse for human life" -eburn

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

In EQ2 (server Valor) we mostly raid in raidforces instead of official guilds. This is great, because so you can stay in your guild and you dont need to be a guild hopper to become a good raider. This guild hopping destroyed my guild in wow long long time ago..

• NewtNewt Member UncommonPosts: 69

Originally posted by severius

You used to have to be in a good guild.  The changes that they have made to the game, however, have made things far more accessible and with the probable addition of the random raid finder (which is supposed to be much like the random dungeon finder) the need for a guild is less and less. 

Now, one catch: alot of what I said is very much server dependent.  My mains are all on one of hte slowest progression servers in all of wow.  On my alliance server they are far more serious about raiding and its harder to get into good ICC groups.

Where I come from, the guilds running pick-ups require you to have 5000-5500 GS, basically no 'blue' gear with mostly Triumph and Frost badge gear to boot.  They also  ask for Achievements.  So to raid ICC-10 without a guild, you have to have raided ICC-10 to show achievements.  Catch-22.   IF you're in a decent guild, even one that doesn't raid often, you can sometimes get in a PUG as a 'friend of a friend' and pickup boss kills.  Even casual guilds are doing ICC-10, its not that hard and you don't have ot have full Frost/Triumph badge gear to survive and be able to contribute meaninful damage/healing/tanking.

Just last night I got in an ICC-25 on my lock, who still has some blue (ilevel 200) items, with 0 ICC kills on any character since week 1 of ICC.  All on the recommendation of a guildie, who was in the raid already.   Granted, the rest of his items are ilevel 232-264 and I didn't do less DPS than the tanks :), but you gotta be in the right place at the right time on some realms to get in like that.  Our realm also has a bad habit of requiring people have full tier 10 gear to get into a Trial of the Crusade 10 man raid. 

I imagine other servers are easier to get into a pickup group, but does it really hurt to join a casual guild for the off chance of getting into a mostly guild raid or riding the coattails of someone else into a raid?

• bobbadudbobbadud Member Posts: 268

CATA introduces 2 new leveling systems:

- Path of Titans new end game leveling (through World gathering of Artifacts).

- Guild leveling in both PVE and PVP, giving awards to progressive guild play.

Taking the wind out of all troll posts once again.

It’s embarrassing when an NPC compliments you in an MMo, the only relevant, cool and epic things come from players whispering you “Grtz, mate, we did it”. copyright Pilnkplonk

• HrothmundHrothmund Member Posts: 1,061

Originally posted by dyermaker714

Do you have to be in a guild to have any real chance of attaining some nice pve gear? I ask because I work a lot during the week and thus can only really devote my weekends to raiding so im wondering if you have to be a fulltime or "hardcore" player to have any realistic expectations of getting all decked out with ICC items and such. Also how do you go about getting PvP specific gear.

Sry, im a returning player from vanilla and early bc so im kinda behind. thanks :)

For normal raids, no. But for the later heroic/hard mode raids, yes.

• CavallCavall Member Posts: 272

Originally posted by bobbadud

CATA introduces 2 new leveling systems:

- Path of Titans new end game leveling (through World gathering of Artifacts).

- Guild leveling in both PVE and PVP, giving awards to progressive guild play.

Taking the wind out of all troll posts once again.

You know, there's a large lack of troll posts (other than your snide remark, possibly the EQ2 post) in this thread.

Now, on to the rebuttal.

Path of the Titans is for that character only, and Guild leveling seems to be lacking without some form of guild housing system. As is, it will do nothing for raids a great pug group cannot do, and seems to be primarily focused on pvp (mostly rated BG) content. Guild Levels, when properly used, of course, are primarily PvP related anyways. See games such as Atlantica Online, Lineage 1/2, and Guild Wars.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

@Original poster

No you don't need a guild to raid.  There are plenty of raids that are always looking for members to join.  Pugs, semi-pugs, alliances, etc.  You may have to work a little harder to find a group that suits your playstyle, but that is the great thing about wow.  Wow is so big that you can always find a group of people with similar interests.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Depends on what raids you want to do. If you want to progress in the current raid, then yes you'll need a guild (past the first 4 bosses in ICC anyway).  If all you want to do is the weekly and VoA or previous raids, you can pug all of that.

• dyermaker714dyermaker714 Member UncommonPosts: 192

thank you for the info! question answered