Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I was skeptical, then I learned how to play and love it

merieke82merieke82 Member Posts: 165

First impressions count for a lot and MO certainly punches you right in the junk. However, if you stick with it and read the forums a whole new gameplay experience opens up to you.

I rolled 10 different characters in different locations and could never figure out how to get anywhere. Nothing I gathered or crafted was sellable, I could barely kill any animals worthwhile, and I had no clue where to find anything in the world.

Then I found the info I needed to get a leg up. I'm going to post it here for others to benefit from.

1) Your first task regardless of your starting skills should pretty much be to log or mine until you can cap out your strength and constitution. This makes you less gankable and able to run longer. You can do this outside any starting area, but keep in mind most starter mats can't be sold to NPCs

2) Don't try to sell starter materials. If you want to sell materials that you gather you need to venture out farther from town. I'm still a newb but if you start in Fabernum you want to be on the lookout for Brownwood. It sells for 2cp a piece.

3) You will not be able to craft your own armor, weapons, and be super effective at combat. It takes a lot of skill books to even do one of those things moderately well. I recommend starting as an armorsmith though. After maxing your stats you can kill some pigs and turn that leather into a starter set of gear. Then with the money you make from selling Brownwood you can hang out at the bank or ask for a weapon crafter to sell you a basic sword. Pick up a few combat skill books and read them while you're logging.

4) Once you've got some basic armor and a weapon if you want to venture into combat a good choice for income are Wisents. If you find yourself below 50 health it's time to turn tail and run to rest up. When you come back the Wisent won't have gained any health back. You want to run before you get low though so you have adequate time to get away and to keep opportunistic players from targeting you.

5) Yes lag and desync are sitll an issue but you can reduce the chance of it happening to you. Desync tends to occur when latency from the server causes a response from one of your actions to not get sent back. In the meantime if you try to perform another action when the server finally responds to the first you become out of sync. So basically if you ever hit a hotkey to do something and it doesn't register just don't activate anything else until the server responds. Alternately you can just try relogging.

6) Google the various MO wikis that are out there. I'm not going to post them here. Each one has different info which will help you.

7) Helpful map --> http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/2787/audacianmapnew.jpg

Anyway, there are many ways to play this game and be effective but I finally found some strategies that worked for me so thought I would pass them on. Even with the bugs I find this game extremely enjoyable. I was close to uninstalling this because I just didn't get it ... now I'm glad I didn't.

Comments

• rlmccoy1987rlmccoy1987 Member Posts: 1,722

The personal hype you are feeling will wear off soon enough once you see how broken and incomplete the game is.  I would give it 2 weeks at most. 

PS - Forcing yourself to enjoy the game is not a good sign...

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

Originally posted by rlmccoy1987

The personal hype you are feeling will wear off soon enough once you see how broken and incomplete the game is.  I would give it 2 weeks at most. 

Pretty much that. I appreciate the subtle nuances like the talking during taming which is clearly a throwback to UO taming, but the general gameplay is abysmal right now. Decided to pop in to see how things were after not even going anywhere near it half a year. Good to know animals still zip through the air like hummingbirds on crack and everything has a delightful delay to it. Bonus points for still not being able to remove items from the hotbar once they're placed. 

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,981

Originally posted by Kordesh

Pretty much that. I appreciate the subtle nuances like the talking during taming which is clearly a throwback to UO taming, but the general gameplay is abysmal right now. Decided to pop in to see how things were after not even going anywhere near it half a year. Good to know animals still zip through the air like hummingbirds on crack and everything has a delightful delay to it. Bonus points for still not being able to remove items from the hotbar once they're placed. 

You may want to check your account since it sounds like you pre-ordered at some point.  Folks have said that their accounts were set to autorenew even though they had never chosen a subscription and had simply pre-ordered many months ago.   to avoid a nasty charge card surprise I suggest you go and look to see if you are set to autorenew...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• merieke82merieke82 Member Posts: 165

Thread derailment aside ... I stand by my original post. Those points will help you if you are new to MO and trying to get a feel for what's going on.

There are a hell of a lot of bugs and I'm not even going to argue that the game is really really rough. This thread doesn't have anything to do with what's broken. Despite it all you can still enjoy MO in many unique ways if you know what you're doing. This is the point of the post.

If you want to sing the "broken game" song there are a thousand other threads to do it. 

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Originally posted by Kordesh

You may want to check your account since it sounds like you pre-ordered at some point.  Folks have said that their accounts were set to autorenew even though they had never chosen a subscription and had simply pre-ordered many months ago.   to avoid a nasty charge card surprise I suggest you go and look to see if you are set to autorenew...

I did pre-order back when I thought the game had some hope. Already read the thread regarding the autosub and switched it off already. Thanks for the heads up though. If the game was actually, you know, playable, it would actually be pretty good. Don't get me wrong, I want to see this game develop and take off. I just don't think it's going to happen at this point.  The main problem is it's entirely unresponsive and mob pathing is a complete joke. Not much point in having active combat when it doesn't respond correctly. 

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

Well, I downloaded and gave Mortal Online a try today.

No sir, I didn't like it.

It has potential. I thought the graphics were ok, but outside of that the game mechanics are stiff and unresponsive. Just trying to swing my sword was an exercise in patience with a healthy dose of frustration.

I didn't try harvesting because the background I chose didn't provide me with a harvesting ability, even though it provided me with a wood chopping axe that I couldn't use except perhaps as an offhand weapon.

The customization was pretty much non-existent with the few options including skin tone and some minor facial changes.

I like some of the concepts like lineage, but where as it's a good concept it really effects very little.

I'm sorry, because I hate to pick apart games that people have hopes for, but this game has a long long way to go.

• Cpt_PicardCpt_Picard Member Posts: 300

My dip into mortal online was quite discouraging... It was at night, and I had though my video settings were messed up or something so I spend 10 minutes trying to change my gamma... They should really start you out with a torch...

Make it so...

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

The game is actually not that bad.

But the fact there is no other mobs except pigs, wolves and weasels... well thats just bad

Originally posted by Lobotomist

But the fact there is no other mobs except pigs, wolves and weasels... well thats just bad

And the AI is broken image

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Well that isn't a fact actually, unless I was hallucinating when those skeletonss attacked me?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

Originally posted by Agricola1

Well that isn't a fact actually, unless I was hallucinating when those skeletonss attacked me?

Exactly, in fact if anyone bothers to check the map that I linked in the original post you can see all of the other creatures that are out there. Yeah it's a small list but let's at least be truthful.

To everyone else who had a discouraging first impression:

1) Starting during nighttime: Yes that really sucks, especially when you have no clue where to go.

2) Not able to swing your sword and kill mobs? As a new player your combat skills are crappy which makes it appear that combat doesn't work. Once you get a decent amount of stamina it makes a lot more sense. The rocket propelled mobs are a huge issue but if you're smart you'll venture out and find some stuff to attack that is aggressive and doesn't run away.

3) Not able to gather from a tree? I'm not sure how you pulled that off all you have to do is equip your axe, move the woodcutting skill onto your hotbar, hit x to draw weapon, and punch the hotbar button.

As I said I spent a lot of time hating this game ... and it's not easy to figure out what to do. If you invest some time into it you just might see what I do and really start to enjoy it. I don't really personally care whether you do or not, but the info I posted will help you if you're lost.

Thats all.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Gather resources, kill pigs and other animals and eventually be able to craft your own stuff doesnt sound too fun in my book.

Cant you get some decent equipment, go to a dungeon and kill some more interesting mobs?

Originally posted by Yamota

Gather resources, kill pigs and other animals and eventually be able to craft your own stuff doesnt sound too fun in my book.

Cant you get some decent equipment, go to a dungeon and kill some more interesting mobs?

Dungeons exist but they are not populated. It's another thing that SV hasn't been able to deliver yet. They have teased at the idea of various creatures being there for release like spiders and possibly a dragon. But yeah, that's all yet to be seen.

Even so, unless you spend time building up your combat skills and either crafting or buying some gear you wouldn't last long in a dungeon anyway. Unlike other games you can't go out and kill a frog and have a random piece of blue chest plate drop. You kill animals and other monsters and use those resources to outfit yourself. It's a great system that feeds well into the crafting system.

If you played UO think about how difficult it was to make a new character and just go out and slay monsters. I remember chopping logs and selling them to gear up with some NPC bought chain and a sword. I went out and bears and great harts would hand my ass to me. The roaming trolls and orcs weren't even possible. Then you slowly upgrade to better armor and combat skills and eventually you're out doing all sorts of crazy stuff. The player has to evolve his/her play style as you progress in the game. It's not for everyone.

If you enjoy MMOs for the sake of killing mobs and gearing up then MO isn't going to appeal to you. It takes a lot of time and patience to really enjoy this one. Many argue that it's a stupid way to approach a game, and a couple weeks ago I would have agreed. I'm eagerly awaiting bug fixes and the release.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I played UO when it was released and it was true that the game had a threshold before you could go into a dungeon and slay orcs and what not. But all that was really requires was to hit the training dummy for a couple of hours or so, get some gold to buy some decent armor and weapon, learn some basic healing spells and then off you were to the nearest dungeon to have some fun.

So dont make it sound like UO was all about boring crafting. It had alot of fun PvE and PvP action going on and I didnt have to craft a weapon a single time. I bought it from vendors or crafters.

Originally posted by Yamota

I played UO when it was released and it was true that the game had a threshold before you could go into a dungeon and slay orcs and what not. But all that was really requires was to hit the training dummy for a couple of hours or so, get some gold to buy some decent armor and weapon, learn some basic healing spells and then off you were to the nearest dungeon to have some fun.

So dont make it sound like UO was all about boring crafting. It had alot of fun PvE and PvP action going on and I didnt have to craft a weapon a single time. I bought it from vendors or crafters.

What you describe is true. After the game grew and players developed, then at that point you could buy decent gear from other crafters without doing it yourself. I highly doubt that you were doing any major PvE or PvP using your vendor bought gear, though.

At best you could run Shame and farm some earth eles within a couple of weeks of playing. But this is all in retrospect. UO seems a lot easier when you look back at it knowing what you know now. Anyone who started playing UO when it first came out can tell you that nothing was obvious in the beginning and no one just went out and started looting dungeons right away.

Sorry, but that's just not the way it was in the beginning. In the early days of UO if you wanted to focus on combat you had a tough path ahead of you fighting rabbits, snakes, deer, mongels, and great harts (if you were lucky). That's about all you could kill with low tactics, swords, and a vendor bought weapon.

• FeragFerag Member Posts: 23

Great OP! Nice to see a post on here that isn't just pure troll.

I wouldn't recommend making your character a crafter to begin with, it will just mean you need to learn a lot of extra books when you switch to a combat character.  Instead, take the materials you get from killing animals and find a crafter in town, most people will make you armour if you supply the materials, and some will even make you newb gear for free so that you come to them later when you have money and want the good stuff.

I can say that i made a warrior character and am completely decked out in good gear without doing any crafting at all.

Originally posted by Ferag

Great OP! Nice to see a post on here that isn't just pure troll.

I wouldn't recommend making your character a crafter to begin with, it will just mean you need to learn a lot of extra books when you switch to a combat character.  Instead, take the materials you get from killing animals and find a crafter in town, most people will make you armour if you supply the materials, and some will even make you newb gear for free so that you come to them later when you have money and want the good stuff.

I can say that i made a warrior character and am completely decked out in good gear without doing any crafting at all.

Awesome, I'm glad that approach worked out for you. I was having difficulty earning enough income killing the little critters to buy anything in town. It must have just been how I was playing. Finding the right people at the right time really makes a big difference since you can only talk to and trade with those in your area.

Good to know that you can start as a warrior and still be successful.

• ange10ange10 Member Posts: 307

this game just  keeps getting better and better, and all the ploblems that existed in the beta due to disabled features or the devs trying to fix desync will not be at release and well this game is just going to rock so everyone should at least try it, if you love rpgs like elder scrolls then this is the game for you.

Originally posted by ange10

this game just  keeps getting better and better, and all the ploblems that existed in the beta due to disabled features or the devs trying to fix desync will not be at release and well this game is just going to rock so everyone should at least try it, if you love rpgs like elder scrolls then this is the game for you.

May I ask how long have you followed this game?  Has to have been a week...  the hype your experiencing will wear off once you see the truth image

May I ask how long have you followed this game?  Has to have been a week...  the hype your experiencing will wear off once you see the truth image

people know me as princereaper in the forums.

maybe you can guess how long ive been playing for? oh and ive been watching mo for more then 6 months and i played darkfall and i bought xyson.

so tell me what do you dislike about mortal online? and i think you should try it again, its not really that bad.

maybe you can guess how long ive been playing for? oh and ive been watching mo for more then 6 months and i played darkfall and i bought xyson.

so tell me what do you dislike about mortal online? and i think you should try it again, its not really that bad.

1) No clue who you are, don't really care image

2) MO is a disaster with a development company that has no experience, just look at how poorly it has gone so far. 

1) No clue who you are, don't really care image

2) MO is a disaster with a development company that has no experience, just look at how poorly it has gone so far. 

poorly? lol? this game is so cool? its a beta right? how can the game gone wrong when it has not even released yet?

and for developers with no experince? they sure have built a pretty cool game, damn i do not know how to make a game myself? and are you a game developer do have experince creating games? do you know the people at sv? because dude even if they did not have experince they have done a pretty sweet job and well im sure they got alot of experince now from building mortal online and have you seen the sweet trailers they made? man? someones got to have experince creating that dragon and demon because they look epic, hey maybe sv are geniuses and are just gifted developers who was born knowing how to code games and never went and got a eduction how to build games?

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

Weird, a few weeks or so back even farther so. People were all complaining about the empty game booklets, the de-sync and crashing issues, etc etc. Now people say this game is great?

What is wrong with you pvpers. Your so damn fickled. Whine when things don't go your way and turn into an uptight zealot of the game when it has a few stupid updates. News flash. All games update there content with time. Guys are so jumpy back and forth with being on and off the band wagon. Can't any of you stick to 1 thing and stay true to it instead of flopping around like a bunch of retards?

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

This discussion has been closed.