Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raid problem

Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Just built my new gaming system and got a weird problem.

It is a AMD (Asus MB) and I decided to raid my 4 Intel X-25 SSDs in raid 5, as I had the last year without any problems in my old intel q9400 computer.

Putting up the raid in bios. no problem.

Installing W7 64 bits. No problem.

Installing drivers. Suddenly 1 of the SSDs just jumps out of the raid and I can't get it back in. So I have 3 disks without parity.

Checking cables and stuff, everything ok and I can use the last SSD as a regular drive.

Cursing I do it all from start (can't seem to add a parity disk to the configuration, something I could on my Intel raid).

Same thing happens but another SSD this time.

Right now am I trying raid 10 instead....

Anyone know what is going on or have some tips?

Comments

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

sorry I dont have too much to offer, but I have heard through various forums etc (toms hardware, anandtech) that raid on ssd's can be tricky... and sometimes not work at all (and even destroy ssd's)

youre working with something on the bleeding edge.  hell, even with sata's raid can be really flakey to setup at times.

good luck, keep us posted as to how you resolved it.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I had no problems with Intels raid system, it was a lot better actually. Ran it for a year.

Raid 10 seems to work right now however, I believe at the moment that the problem is that the driver for speeding up SATA is messing with AMDs raiddrivers. It seems to mess up right when I install that at least. It is a theory at least.

My computer have the following Components:

Processor: AMD Phenomena II x6 3.2 Ghz

Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600 mhz

Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV

Graphicscard: ASUS 480 GTX

PSU: Corsair 950W

It also have a Corsair water cooling system for the PSU, I have the feeling that the combination of a AMD hexa core and a 480 GTX would be somewhat hot to say the least, now all that seems to be working fine.

Anyone else who had problems like this with raiding?

• fourleaffourleaf Member Posts: 16

Possibly buy a different raid card?  they are really cheap.  

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by fourleaf

Possibly buy a different raid card?  they are really cheap.  

Well, it seems like everything is working as it should right now.

But I couldn't buy a new one without a lot of problems. I have only 1 PCI slot (well, there is a second one behind my GFX card) and I have my wireless lan card there. Changing motherboard is out of the question, it costed me 250 bucks and it was messy to install the liquid cooling system on it, I will only change it if it breaks. Besides, not all cards can run 6 processor cores.

But I blame AMDs crappy raid drivers, it seems to mess up when I install the drivers for faster sata. It could also be something with RAID 5, I use 10 now (not super happy with that but it will have to do).

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

How long have you had these intel ssd drives? And how much write data do you think you put on them, because earlier gen ssd drives can only be written to so much before they start to fail. Perhaps the one jumping off is the one that is broken. Just a suggestion cause everything else you said you did is what I would of told you to do.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

I'd check for mobo bios update and SSD firmware update.

SSD's do have limited write lifetime but they come with spare hidden space that replaces the failed space as it dies, they should last at least 5 years and then the cells that die should just be marked unusable and you'll just start losing space.