Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: MMORPG.com is Hiring!

Comments

• KorhindiKorhindi Member CommonPosts: 395

Originally posted by negentropy

Originally posted by Korhindi

True professionals almost never have to brag, for they simply let their work do the bragging for them.

Unless they are politicians.

True.

But then again, that is why they are almost universally hated.  They brag all the time, but what do they really get done?

My sentence above doesn't apply to every politician, but I would say it is an accurate assessment for the vast majority of them.

• VestasVestas Member Posts: 55

As for your assertion that "studies" have shown Wikpedia's accuracy rate is identical to other established sources. Links please. I don't believe that for a second.

http://news.cnet.com/Study-Wikipedia-as-accurate-as-Britannica/2100-1038_3-5997332.html

There ya go, that's the easiest one to find and it leads into many constnat debates on Wikipedia's accuracy. A little searching will find both sides of the argument.  Generally in my opinion if something is hotly contested like this both sides have some truth to them. But long before Wikipedia we used to be educated in schools not to trust Encyclopedia's as they are often 3rd or 4th sources and so far removed from what they are writing that odds are, they are wrong.  Heck the good teachers even had us question our own textbooks, again 3rd/4th sources on information.

And if you were to ask me if I was to say, trust Wikipedia to present me multiple viewpoints on something recent in the past 20 years, over some off-the-shelf periodical like a magazine it all depeneds.  Wikipedia is /invaluable/ as a default place to go to get some basic information.

If however your premise is "never believe everything you read" this is true, regardless of source.  Something being written down does not make it gospel no matter the source.  People need to be taught to /think/ not just take what they read as the only truth.

All that said, I use Wikipedia almost daily to find basic factual information on dozens of things.  Would I trust Wikipedia to be %100 accurate on controversial issues? Like the JFK assasination? Or BP and it's latest blunders? No.  But show me a source that is authoritative on those subjects in the first place.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

I doubht that someone who has 5 to 7 years of professional writing experience will be looking to join the MMORPG.com weekend warriors crew.

I have friends who are writers that have three or more "jobs" they work part-time.

5-7 years writing experience is what I would hire as a "junior" position. I've been a professional writer for 23 years. If I had time, I'd do it. It sounds like a lot of fun.

However, I highly doubt MMORPG.com could afford me. image

..Your modesty knows no bounds....

I am actually interested.  I used to write for one of those "online blogs" a few years back, but my job picked up and I couldn't handle a 40 hour work week along with writing 5 articles over various topics a week.   The pay was minimal but the experience was nice.  My schedule is a little more lax now. Chances are, the MMORPG.com staff knows me all too well from posting here and probably wouldn't hire me based on that alone.  Personally I wouldn't blame them.

It's not an question of modesty. I can't very well reduce my rate because something sounds interesting to me. If my customers find out, they all expect a similar reduction.

Besides, self-promotion is what fosters new business. Unlike many people, I don't have the luxury of getting a paycheck just because I happen to "show up" between the hours of 9-5. I don't have the luxury of doing a good job -- I must to a great job or I don't get repeat business.

It my line of work, modesty doesn't make you successful, it makes you a loser.

I'd be interested in reading some of your work. Perhaps you could give a few references to peruse?

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• GozerTCGozerTC Member UncommonPosts: 119

Hmm.. working on my application now.  My only problem is that my newest samples are over 800 words. 

Current Game: Asssasins Creed 2(PS3, Gamer Tag: Happy_Hubby)
    Current MMO: World of Warcraft and World of Tanks
    Former Subscribed MMO: Star Trek Online, Aion, WoW, Guild Wars, Eve Online, DAoC, City of Heroes, Shattered Galaxy, 10six.
    Tried: Too many to list

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by GozerTC

Hmm.. working on my application now.  My only problem is that my newest samples are over 800 words. 

They may not require you to shorten it, though in many instances sites require you to stick to a certain amount of words so you capture the reader without having them read three pages and lose interest.  If this is just an application process I doubt it would be that big of a deal, though it kind of sounds like MMORPG.com may take your article and run with it as your first article. (They would probably have it edited first)

I'm just guessing though.

• GozerTCGozerTC Member UncommonPosts: 119

Oh I know that's what they'll probably want on the job.  Just wondering if I should do something about my samples. :)

Current Game: Asssasins Creed 2(PS3, Gamer Tag: Happy_Hubby)
    Current MMO: World of Warcraft and World of Tanks
    Former Subscribed MMO: Star Trek Online, Aion, WoW, Guild Wars, Eve Online, DAoC, City of Heroes, Shattered Galaxy, 10six.
    Tried: Too many to list

• negentropynegentropy Member Posts: 241

Originally posted by Vestas

As for your assertion that "studies" have shown Wikpedia's accuracy rate is identical to other established sources. Links please. I don't believe that for a second.

http://news.cnet.com/Study-Wikipedia-as-accurate-as-Britannica/2100-1038_3-5997332.html

There ya go, that's the easiest one to find and it leads into many constnat debates on Wikipedia's accuracy. A little searching will find both sides of the argument.  Generally in my opinion if something is hotly contested like this both sides have some truth to them. But long before Wikipedia we used to be educated in schools not to trust Encyclopedia's as they are often 3rd or 4th sources and so far removed from what they are writing that odds are, they are wrong.  Heck the good teachers even had us question our own textbooks, again 3rd/4th sources on information.

And if you were to ask me if I was to say, trust Wikipedia to present me multiple viewpoints on something recent in the past 20 years, over some off-the-shelf periodical like a magazine it all depeneds.  Wikipedia is /invaluable/ as a default place to go to get some basic information.

If however your premise is "never believe everything you read" this is true, regardless of source.  Something being written down does not make it gospel no matter the source.  People need to be taught to /think/ not just take what they read as the only truth.

All that said, I use Wikipedia almost daily to find basic factual information on dozens of things.  Would I trust Wikipedia to be %100 accurate on controversial issues? Like the JFK assasination? Or BP and it's latest blunders? No.  But show me a source that is authoritative on those subjects in the first place.

I've read it. You're kidding, right?

Bing/Microsoft, 3rd largest benefactor to Wikipedia through the Wikimedia Foundation is good buddies with Timo Hannay and that doesn't set off any red lights? Who's Timo Hannay, you ask? Well Timo Hannay is none other than the publishing director of nature.com. Yep, no ulterior motives behind that article.

I thought that was common knowledge at this point, but I guess not.

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -Winston Churchill

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

I'd be interested in reading some of your work. Perhaps you could give a few references to peruse?

Heh, right. That's all I need -- a group of snot-nosed brats from MMORPG.com causing me grief with my customers because they didn't like something I said in a post here. Nice try, though. I appreciate your creativity.

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -Winston Churchill
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Heh, right. That's all I need -- a group of snot-nosed brats from MMORPG.com causing me grief with my customers because they didn't like something I said in a post here. Nice try, though. I appreciate your creativity.

This reply could've been seen from a mile away.  Personally I don't care what you do with your writing, but you could have phrased that quite a bit better then mud-slinging.    

Only on MMORPG.com do we go into a wild debate about a job posting.

At this time I haven't seen any posts indicating MMORPG.com is headhunting specific forum members, (be them professional , self-proclaimed professional or otherwise) so perhaps this thread should stay on the topic of the job posting specifically.

This reply could've been seen from a mile away.  

Of course it could. You have to be a special kind of stupid to give your real name on a forum. 

• BlazzBlazz Member Posts: 321

Nawwww... it's a shame the trolls have caused you to perhaps overthink something like linking your work. But besides that, a writer's work is liked by people subjectively. Some people will like your work, others will hate it, all based on some of their own personal experiences and opinions. Also, don't feed the trolls.

I'm interested in the position, but have no real experience in the field. I suppose I'll throw my hand in though, or I'll never know if my bluff will beat the guy with a three of a kind.

May I ask what you mean by weekend work, though? What place in the world do you mean? Will I have set hours during the week where I am expected to be online? Would Australian Time make me need to be 'working' at 11pm over here? I shall send all of these (and more!) in an email. Cheers.

I am playing EVE and it's alright... level V skills are a bit much.

You all need to learn to spell.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Originally posted by Agricola1

Well this is very interesting, I'd like to apply for the position and I'd like to submit a recent interview I did with Bill Roper as a sample of what you could expect from me click :)

I, for one, would love to see Agricola1 as a writer. This guy is a creative genius!

• dar_es_balatdar_es_balat Member Posts: 438

Originally posted by Murphman

I doubht that someone who has 5 to 7 years of professional writing experience will be looking to join the MMORPG.com weekend warriors crew.

I have friends who are writers that have three or more "jobs" they work part-time.

5-7 years writing experience is what I would hire as a "junior" position. I've been a professional writer for 23 years. If I had time, I'd do it. It sounds like a lot of fun.

I am actually interested.  I used to write for one of those "online blogs" a few years back, but my job picked up and I couldn't handle a 40 hour work week along with writing 5 articles over various topics a week.   The pay was minimal but the experience was nice.  My schedule is a little more lax now. Chances are, the MMORPG.com staff knows me all too well from posting here and probably wouldn't hire me based on that alone.  Personally I wouldn't blame them.

It's not an question of modesty. I can't very well reduce my rate because something sounds interesting to me. If my customers find out, they all expect a similar reduction.

Besides, self-promotion is what fosters new business. Unlike many people, I don't have the luxury of getting a paycheck just because I happen to "show up" between the hours of 9-5. I don't have the luxury of doing a good job -- I must to a great job or I don't get repeat business.

Lol at the spelling mistake. Professional writer my hairy arse. Your ego is astounding.

Yes, because all writers are perfect and never make any mistakes, even when they are typing on a netbook sitting in a coffee house. Your stupidity is astounding.

Whats astounding is that Mike is actively reading this thread, yet has allowed the bickering and personal attacks to continue.  This contradicts the new Terms of Service on MMORPG.com --- and calls moderation of posts here into question as posts seem to be selectively allowed to ignore rules.

Just wanted to point that out.   Oh and also youre right in your replies... but in being correct you are feeding the trolls on this board as they are primarily under achievers who ascribe to a welfare state, pity the weak mentality because to do so is to ensure their own survival!

Crappy, petty people breed and raise crappy, petty kids.

Actually, I had a genuine desire to see some of your work as you seem so confident in its value I was sure I may find some of it to my liking. I would have refrained from mixing your projected persona into my critique of your writing, as I have met people who are even bigger assholes than you who have a particular gift with the written word.

By the way, at 37 years old, I hardly qualify as a "snot-nosed brat", as I'm sure many here don't. If you make such assumptions with your literary prose as you seemingly do here in an informal environment, then perhaps your writings would not be worthy of my time after all.

Good day, sir.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-

Actually, I had a genuine desire to see some of your work as you seem so confident in its value I was sure I may find some of it to my liking. I would have refrained from mixing your projected persona into my critique of your writing, as I have met people who are even bigger assholes than you who have a particular gift with the written word.

By the way, at 37 years old, I hardly qualify as a "snot-nosed brat", as I'm sure many here don't. If you make such assumptions with your literary prose as you seemingly do here in an informal environment, then perhaps your writings would not be worthy of my time after all.

Good day, sir.

What I find so funny about all of this is that NO WHERE did I ever say I was a great writer or boasted about being better than anyone else and I challenge you to prove me wrong. Please, show me the posts.

The only statement I made about my role as a writer was that MMORPG.com couldn't afford me. It's not a boast -- its a fact.

Mike, how about I send you a PM with my rates and you decide if you can afford me? We'll put this to rest right now. If I'm wrong, I'll gladly admit it.

You (eyeswideopen) and several others who seem to have the ability to read my thoughts -- I hope you are not applying for the job. You obviously can't read, how the hell are you going to be able to write.

Originally posted by dar_es_balat

Originally posted by Murphman

Lol at the spelling mistake. Professional writer my hairy arse. Your ego is astounding.

Yes, because all writers are perfect and never make any mistakes, even when they are typing on a netbook sitting in a coffee house. Your stupidity is astounding.

Whats astounding is that Mike is actively reading this thread, yet has allowed the bickering and personal attacks to continue.  This contradicts the new Terms of Service on MMORPG.com --- and calls moderation of posts here into question as posts seem to be selectively allowed to ignore rules.

Just wanted to point that out.   Oh and also youre right in your replies... but in being correct you are feeding the trolls on this board as they are primarily under achievers who ascribe to a welfare state, pity the weak mentality because to do so is to ensure their own survival!

Maybe its a test. Looking at who has a tendency to be a rage-o-holic so he can throw their resumes in the trash. image

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Guys lets keep this civil and on topic. Cut it out with the insults and back-and-forth.

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Originally posted by Vagrant_Zero

However, I highly doubt MMORPG.com could afford me. 

Possessing the basic ability to formulate sentences in a coherent fashion does not automatically make you interesting to read.
    Exactly, and it also doesn't make you a professional writer.
    Most professional writers I've had the displeasure of working with - while technically proficient - are sterile and lacking in character (their writing that is, not them personally).
    True, and like ball players, musicians, etc, there are good ones and bad ones. People misunderstand the word 'professional'. It has nothing to do with skill -- the word refers to your vocation. It always amazes me how many people are confused about it's meaning. For God's sake, even the IRS, who are three IQ points away from being required to wear a protective helmet, know this fact.
    Gaming journalists on the other hand, due to the nature of their work, are not only allowed but are in fact expected to be somewhat...colorful in their approach to the English language.
    Please stop referring to gaming writers as journalists. Journalism, by definition, obliges the journalist to report fact, not opinion. The articles here on MMORPG.com are so rife with opinion, they are practically oozing the stuff. However, in MMORPG'com's defense, the news items found here are more in line with what is known as journalism.
    The biggest problem is the Internet. People are basically stupid and lazy, and consequently take any opinion they read online as fact. Wikipedia is a good example. A friend of mine, who teaches at a large university, returns papers to students constantly because they use Wikipedia entries as references. The difference between Wikipedia and an encyclopedia is that the latter is fact-checked BEFORE publication. Wikipedia's model is, "let any poor schmuck provide an entry and hope for the best."
    You college grads out there remember what the word 'empirical' means, right?
    Now, if you actually read my post instead of skimming over it and reacting to whatever key-words sent you into a tail-spin, you would have noticed that I did not ask Mike to hire professionals -- I asked him to hire people with 5-7 years of writing experience. So your assertion that the 'professionals' you have worked with are not good writers is either a smug jab at MY capabilities as a writer (which basically makes you a p**ck, since you don't know me), or is a reflection of your ability to read AND COMPREHEND. Care to tell tell us which one?
    But thanks for confirming my postulate about people's acumen.

I have to admit, that was pretty boring to read. Hell I didn't even read it all to be honest, skipped the parts where it seemed you got ranty and defensive and not because ranty and defensive writings tend to err on the boring (actually it's usually quite the opposite); but because you somehow managed to take the passionate artform of the flame and turn it into the online equivalent of a public service announcement. Must be your 23 years of experience in the field.

Which really just goes back to my original point of "professional" writing vs interesting writing. Which is odd I suppose, seeing as how - and even though I failed to actually read most of what you wrote I'm still fairly positive that - you did not intend to argue my point for me, and yet you solidified my position marvelously.

Still, in an effort to combat your multiple paragraphs of snooze, I propose that we initiate something fun for the whole family (and also to get off this entirely sullen and irreverent topic).

Story Time!

I'll go first.

Once upon a time there was a peaceful village by the name of HappyLove in the land of AlwaysWonderful, secluded in the Bay of NothingInterestingEverHappensHere.

Sephiroth burned it to the ground, making orphans of the children, and then killing the newly minted orphans. Then, and only then, in his final act of ultimate badassery, he jacked up the sound to My Chemical Romance on his newly priceline-negotiated (courtesy of the Shat'Man) 4G iPhone as he proceeded to cut himself.

The End. I call it, Emo with Sephy.

And I managed to keep it totally within the bounds of MMORPGs TOS.

• AemiAemi Member Posts: 148

I'm applying for this, and am writing a cover letter. What would the name of the employer be? Also thier Title? I assume Editor?

And the company addresss is?

Originally posted by Aemi

I'm applying for this, and am writing a cover letter. What would the name of the employer be? Also thier Title? I assume Editor?

It tells you right int he first post.

If you think you fit all the above, send over your resume and cover letter to [email protected] and [email protected] with the subject line MMORPG.com News Reporter Application: (your name).  Applications without the above subject line will be discarded!

• AemiAemi Member Posts: 148

If you think you fit all the above, send over your resume and cover letter to [email protected] and [email protected] with the subject line MMORPG.com News Reporter Application: (your name).  Applications without the above subject line will be discarded!

That isn't what I'm referring to. I know where to send it.

I'm trying to follow this, http://www.trincoll.edu/depts/career/guides/cover_ltr.shtml

So I do everything correctly.

• DreamorbDreamorb Member Posts: 20

Could be a very fun, thrilling and a great experience for me, but my grammar is too off sadly - even in my native language. Good luck to all who wishes to give it a try, if nothing else.

When the enemy is driven back, we have failed, and when he is cut off,
    encircled and dispersed, we have succeeded.

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829

I would love to be a writer for MMORPG.com even though I have next to no professional writing experience. Can't hurt to apply though...how do I email a urine sample to you guys for testing? :P

• lorddeath101lorddeath101 Member UncommonPosts: 315
    since it does not list how much you get paid , I WOULD ASSUME YOU GET PAID $1 PER HOUR. who want to get paid that low ? huh ???

That isn't what I'm referring to. I know where to send it.

I'm trying to follow this, http://www.trincoll.edu/depts/career/guides/cover_ltr.shtml

So I do everything correctly.

Your employer would be:

Cyber Creations Inc. 

73-5563 Olowalu St. Suite #B203

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii 96740

And the editors name is Jon Wood.