Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My experience with MO

BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

I would like to share with you my first experience with MO.

At the start, lets say that I never intended to play MO. I am not a friend of open PVP, but what I read about crafting system of MO seemed interesting, so I thought, well, it is free in open beta, so lets just try crafting for a while and then leave it.

So I created a character (more or less blindly, since there are not any description (it is still a beta) and since I just wanted to try crafting, I didnt really care that much), selected Apprentice Blacksmith as my starting skillset and logged into game.

HUD seemed a bit week and there was no mouse cursor, so I started pressing random keys to find the active ones (some were rather obvious, I for inventory, L for skills etc.) and rather soon I did found that H brings up help. So I did open harvesting section and read how to harvest: open skills, drag mining/lumberjacking skill into quickbar, come to resource, press X to start combat, then press quickbar number to start harvesting. Easy enough. So i did opened skills, dragged mining skill to quickbar .... and nothing happened, when I released my LMB, skill didnt appear in quickbar. Hm. Tried couple more times, different slots on quickbar, but nothing happened. So I went back to help, to read it again, but I didnt find anything new, just "drag skill to quickbar by leftclick". So I left harvesting help window open and went back to trying. Nothing.

Then I found out, that I cannt even close harvesting help window. When I opened other window, it just opened on top of it, when I tried to click on closing "X" symbol, nothing happened ....

I was trying for like a minute ...... when suddenly some player in full plate and twohanded sword appeared and started to kill me. I managed to start combat (which I know how to do only because it was needed to harvest). but with worn shortsword, pickaxe and some rags on body and legs I didnt have a chance. Dead. Logout. Uninstall. Install time: 3 days (problems with patcher) Total time: cca 3 days and 5 min.

P.S. I left out some parts like equipping weapon and pickaxe, which was rather easy, or opening some Book, which I was then not able to close until I moved it from the top of the screen, because at place it opened closing "X" symbal was "outside" of the screen.

Comments

• pye088jpye088j Member Posts: 228

Yep in a free for all PvP settings those things happen. If you´re in town you can write "Guards" in say and you´ll get some help. You can be a full crafter in this game but you´ll need a guild to help you out.

All statements I make is from my point of view unless stated otherwise.

• NeoptolemusNeoptolemus Member Posts: 242

Personally I think it's not so much the existence of full loot PvP that's the issue, it's the implementation. Newer players need better protection so that they aren't robbed blind and murdered while still trying to get to grips with the game. Once they have established a foothold, then you hit them with the less forgiving stuff because at least they have a chance of doing something about it.

Full loot PvP is fun and adds extra spice and danger to the game, but just treading a newbie's face into the dirt for the hell of it isn't fun for anyone, not even the person doing the treading. If you find facestomping a newbie fun, it's probably because there's nothing better to do.

I point to Eve as a good example: newbies start in high security space where they are protected and generally able to play with little risk of being ganked. Once they are strong enough (or foolish enough), they might want to venture into nullsec space as the rewards and adventure are much better. That's when the FFA loot kicks in, and everyone has a good time.

• EverSkellyEverSkelly Member UncommonPosts: 341

Yeah, at the current state only a fanboys can play mortal online for a longer times. It's too buggy and unfinished. I liked the world though. It's realistic and beautiful.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

From what I heard, the Murder system isn't even properly implemented.  Which makes the game a giant  BG scenario with full loot.  I could be wrong, but I thought i read that on some recent patch notes. 

You're right though, the implementation is all wrong.  These companies that make FFAPvP games make the same mistake over and over again.  They all have crappy UI's.  They all offer nothing to newbies, not even in information.  They just push you into the game with nothing.  The game should be moderately difficult to become very powerful, it shouldn't be hard to log in and do the simplist tasks.  Mundane activities should not be hard to do.  Becoming a renown blacksmith or adventurer should be hard to do.  Opening a window and selecting a skill should not. And THAT is the problem with these companies that make sandbox games.  Sandbox doesn't mean hard to play.  It means open ended.  You shouldn't have to scour the internet to find out how to play a game. 

I just hope they don't make a bad choice here.  The U3 engine is poweful and over time I'm sure Starvault will learn and add more to the game.  If the murder system isn't harsh enough and they don't allow for new players to easily become aquianted with the basics of the game, it will fail along with the games that came before it.  It's not the FFAPvP and full loot that scares people away.  it's BAD GAMES that scare people away.  If EvE didn't take 8 years to become a good game, there'd be a lot more people playing it.  That's proof that FFAPvP/full loot sandboxes can be successful.  How about someone finally figures it out..

• rlmccoy1987rlmccoy1987 Member Posts: 1,722

I heard the guard system is still a placeholder (aka broken)  Is that still true?  image