Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: MMORPG.com is Hiring!

Comments

• negentropynegentropy Member Posts: 241

Originally posted by Sarayu

@Negentropy: Success is very relative. I'm sure your idea of success would make my stomach turn, but that's just how it is. As for your modesty comment, modest people, from my personal experience, tend to be more well rounded, humble, and a caring type of person. I may be alone, but I'd rather read someone with that  type of personality than the self bolstered English snob sitting in Starbucks sipping a late and thinking their going to be my personal messiah in written form.

You don't understand creative people. Ask any writer, musician, or artist what their most successful work was, and they will tell you, "the work where I stopped caring what my audience thought and created solely for myself."

In fact, I recently heard an interview with one of the most successful chefs in the US and when asked how he knows his diners will like what he creates, he said, "I could care less what they think, I make the food to please myself." Yet, they are beating down his door to eat his food.

I think you confuse immodesty and self-confidence. You also have a very prejudicial view of people who don't fit into your definition of modesty. Not every prideful person is self-centered, arrogant, and unwilling to communicate in an appropriate way. Personally, I've found those who are humble and modest to be afraid to act, wrapped up in their own little fantasy world, and therefore even more self-absorbed than those you rail against. I wouldn't call that healthy.

Unfortunately, people who think like you do probably have grown up being force-fed biblical phrases like, "and the meek shall inherit the earth."

Sorry, but the only thing the meek will inherit is shit.

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -Winston Churchill

Originally posted by Vagrant_Zero

Originally posted by negentropy

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

I doubht that someone who has 5 to 7 years of professional writing experience will be looking to join the MMORPG.com weekend warriors crew.

I have friends who are writers that have three or more "jobs" they work part-time.

5-7 years writing experience is what I would hire as a "junior" position. I've been a professional writer for 23 years. If I had time, I'd do it. It sounds like a lot of fun.

However, I highly doubt MMORPG.com could afford me. 

Possessing the basic ability to formulate sentences in a coherent fashion does not automatically make you interesting to read.

Exactly, and it also doesn't make you a professional writer.

Most professional writers I've had the displeasure of working with - while technically proficient - are sterile and lacking in character (their writing that is, not them personally).

True, and like ball players, musicians, etc, there are good ones and bad ones. People misunderstand the word 'professional'. It has nothing to do with skill -- the word refers to your vocation. It always amazes me how many people are confused about it's meaning. For God's sake, even the IRS, who are three IQ points away from being required to wear a protective helmet, know this fact.

Gaming journalists on the other hand, due to the nature of their work, are not only allowed but are in fact expected to be somewhat...colorful in their approach to the English language.

Please stop referring to gaming writers as journalists. Journalism, by definition, obliges the journalist to report fact, not opinion. The articles here on MMORPG.com are so rife with opinion, they are practically oozing the stuff. However, in MMORPG'com's defense, the news items found here are more in line with what is known as journalism.

The biggest problem is the Internet. People are basically stupid and lazy, and consequently take any opinion they read online as fact. Wikipedia is a good example. A friend of mine, who teaches at a large university, returns papers to students constantly because they use Wikipedia entries as references. The difference between Wikipedia and an encyclopedia is that the latter is fact-checked BEFORE publication. Wikipedia's model is, "let any poor schmuck provide an entry and hope for the best."

You college grads out there remember what the word 'empirical' means, right?

Now, if you actually read my post instead of skimming over it and reacting to whatever key-words sent you into a tail-spin, you would have noticed that I did not ask Mike to hire professionals -- I asked him to hire people with 5-7 years of writing experience. So your assertion that the 'professionals' you have worked with are not good writers is either a smug jab at MY capabilities as a writer (which basically makes you a p**ck, since you don't know me), or is a reflection of your ability to read AND COMPREHEND. Care to tell tell us which one?

But thanks for confirming my postulate about people's acumen.

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -Winston Churchill
  • VestasVestas Member Posts: 55

The biggest problem is the Internet. People are basically stupid and lazy, and consequently take any opinion they read online as fact. Wikipedia is a good example. A friend of mine, who teaches at a large university, returns papers to students constantly because they use Wikipedia entries as references. The difference between Wikipedia and an encyclopedia is that the latter is fact-checked BEFORE publication. Wikipedia's model is, "let any poor schmuck provide an entry and hope for the best."

Funny thing is studies have revealed that Wikipedia's accuracy rate is nearly identical to most major encyclopedia's found in College libraries.  Just because it got published in a hardcover book and put in some prestigious university does NOT make more right than any other source.  History books are rife with "common opinion" or "opinion of the day".  Despite claiming "fact checking".  Anything written is influenced by the writer period.

For the most radical example I can think of, take someone who firmly believes in creationism, ask them to write  a formal, fact filled analysis, of Darwin's writings on evolution.  It's not going to happen no matter how much integrity they have as a writer (vice versa is also true, have an evolutionist write a fact filled report on the Bible).  Human beings warp all they perceive into their own view.  "Journalists" are no exception.  Some are better than others and many try to present both views but this constant "Wikipedia is shit because it's public domain" is funny as hell.  Encyclopedia's are full of the same BS responses on answers etc.

The advantage to Wikipedia is that there is simply content there and information, that no encyclopedia would ever write about.  And often Wikipedia can be a great jumping off pointt o 3rd and 2nd sources (which in turn can lead you to 1st sources).  Granted anyone who writes with Wikipedia as their only source is a fool, but to no more so than anyone else who only uses one source as "Authoritative" especially when it's 3rd or 4th hand.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

Originally posted by Vagrant_Zero

Not all journalism is pure fact.  Many times its opinionated or slanted by view of the writer.  The news articles here are more straight forward.  They mostly revolve around an already written news piece or story.   Other articles, columns, or interviews seem to be much more involved.

As for you taking less money for writing for this site then your other "customers",  I would only say that life isn't always about money.  Writing for something you care about would be reason enough for me to apply for a job.  The perks of a job I'm interested in would outweigh the extra money I could bring in from a job I would be less happy with.  

To each their own though.  I suppose five to seven years experience, in a non-professional environment isn't too much to ask seeing as how anyone who's gone through high school would easily have five to seven years experience in writing.  That doesn't ensure that they are good writers though.   That would be the same for professional writers too.  It is absolutely possible for a less experienced writer to be more enjoyed , or show greater talent than a professional.   I have no doubt in my mind that MMORPG.com will choose the candidate that they feel would best fit the job.  

• bjgladitschbjgladitsch Member Posts: 88

Here is my argument..if everyone asks for 5-7 yrs experience..how are any new writers whom just might be fantastic, going to get any experience if no one is willint to take a chance on them?  Good writers don't come magically with 5-7 years experience...that is earned through working for people wililng to take a chance on them.

Kudos to MMO for being willing to take a chance on a less experienced writer.  May you find that rare uncut gem in your quest.

• AemiAemi Member Posts: 148

Is this a work from home thing, or do you need to live near the office?

Originally posted by Aemi

Chances are you would submit articles to the editor either via an online portal or e-mail.  Its doubtful they would require you to come into the office.

Originally posted by Vestas

Funny thing is studies have revealed that Wikipedia's accuracy rate is nearly identical to most major encyclopedia's found in College libraries.  Just because it got published in a hardcover book and put in some prestigious university does NOT make more right than any other source.  History books are rife with "common opinion" or "opinion of the day".  Despite claiming "fact checking".  Anything written is influenced by the writer period.

For the most radical example I can think of, take someone who firmly believes in creationism, ask them to write  a formal, fact filled analysis, of Darwin's writings on evolution.  It's not going to happen no matter how much integrity they have as a writer (vice versa is also true, have an evolutionist write a fact filled report on the Bible).  Human beings warp all they perceive into their own view.  "Journalists" are no exception.  Some are better than others and many try to present both views but this constant "Wikipedia is shit because it's public domain" is funny as hell.  Encyclopedia's are full of the same BS responses on answers etc.

The advantage to Wikipedia is that there is simply content there and information, that no encyclopedia would ever write about.  And often Wikipedia can be a great jumping off pointt o 3rd and 2nd sources (which in turn can lead you to 1st sources).  Granted anyone who writes with Wikipedia as their only source is a fool, but to no more so than anyone else who only uses one source as "Authoritative" especially when it's 3rd or 4th hand.

...but this constant "Wikipedia is shit because it's public domain" is funny as hell...

I don't think anyone is saying that (at least I'm not). The main issue with Wikipedia is that quality control takes place "after the fact". Yes, even encyclopedias can be inaccurate, but the material is fact-checked by people widely considered experts in their fields. The incidence is much lower. Anyone with a remedial cognitive ability can see that. Those who can't are selling something.

With Wikipedia, the material can be wrong at any point in time -- at MULTIPLE points in time. And, yes, it can be "fixed", but there is no guarantee it stays fixed. Therein lies the problem. This poses a risk to people who tend to believe what they read without question. I'm sorry, but there are a lot of people who are just too lazy to think for themselves. As a society, we can sit back and say, "that's their problem." But IMHO, we should not contribute to misinforming the populous. We know what people are capable of when they have incorrect information in their hands. Can you say "Iraq War"?

I don't know about other countries, but here in the US, people are constantly up-in-arms about improving our educational system, sometimes to the point of holding teachers to unreasonably high standards. But we don't even raise an eyebrow at something like Wikipedia, which also educates our children? Something is seriously wrong about that.

In all the years I've been writing papers, articles, and books, I've only found four items in established tomes that have been turned out to be incorrect. I find at least two entries a week on Wikipedia that are wrong after further research. Yes, I use Wikipedia, but not as data source -- mostly as a jumping off point for further research.

The value of Wikipedia is in exposing a lot of people to information they may not normally encounter. That's all. But the maintainers have a responsibility to provide accurate information. I guess you could say my beef is less with the idea of online information sharing and more with the method used (wiki).

As for your assertion that "studies" have shown Wikpedia's accuracy rate is identical to other established sources. Links please. I don't believe that for a second.

• hooptyhoopty Member UncommonPosts: 788

I work for free...image

Some people rob you at gun point..Others will rob you at "Ball Point Pen"

• LickitungLickitung Member Posts: 35

Wow.... all these replies...

MMORPG's attempt to put a job posting out there has degenerated, in public response, into a troll-fest peppered with personal arguements.

Stop freaking arguing about 5-7 years of prior experience.  Yes, it's an important thing to look for... but if you take a look at any paper's classifieds, the only time they bother asking this sort of thing is if they're looking for FULL TIME people.  This is a PART TIME position.  And if MMORPG doesn't want to do it, THEY are the ones hiring, not you.

Stop the arguements and continued stabs at personal credentials and 'proffesional' crap.  BOTH SIDES have valid points and BOTH SIDES are being jerks in the way they are responding.  Part of 'proffessionalism' is also not allowing people to get under your skin with criticisms.  As a 'proffessional', you should be USED to recieving critique, both colorful and constructive, and be able to handle it like an adult.  Instead, you go off on tagents about the difference between humble and self confidence, self centeredness and meekness, wikipedia and encyclopedia.  How's this for a comparison?   Self Confident and Humble: Knowing you have the skills, but acknowledging that perhaps others do as well and not throwing yours out there.  Not demeaning others to make yourself look better.  Self Centered and inconsiderate: Touting yourself as the end all, beat all guru of awesome above anyone else.  Arguing that no one else could possibly be correct and that you are worth far and above a current topic.  Not recognizing the truth within other's words AS WELL AS your own.

Seriously...  I could watch the same quality of conversation on a kindergarten playground.

Good luck on getting the best person for the job, Mike B.  This lot of people aren't gonna be 100% happy one way or the other.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Originally posted by hoopty

I work for free...image

I don't work, even for the people that pay me image

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I cant write , i can barely read, i havent taken a bath in 3 weeks and my keyboard is full of food and sticky beer, I think i would be perfect for a staff writer on mmorpg, oh yes if one of the requirements of a staff writer is to have a staff infection  im your man

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Originally posted by eddieg50

I cant write , i can barely read, i havent taken a bath in 3 weeks and my keyboard is full of food and sticky beer, I think i would be perfect for a staff writer on mmorpg, oh yes if one of the requirements of a staff writer is to have a staff infection  im your man

If it wasn't for the grammar I think they'd snap you right up.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Originally posted by bronecar

I wish I were an American image

Which part? South, Central or North America?

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

If you Hired me would have have to cease My Rodo Reports?

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

I vote for JestorRodo.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Home.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Chances are you would submit articles to the editor either via an online portal or e-mail.  Its doubtful they would require you to come into the office.

The office is in Hawaii.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • MurphmanMurphman Member Posts: 5

I doubht that someone who has 5 to 7 years of professional writing experience will be looking to join the MMORPG.com weekend warriors crew.

I have friends who are writers that have three or more "jobs" they work part-time.

5-7 years writing experience is what I would hire as a "junior" position. I've been a professional writer for 23 years. If I had time, I'd do it. It sounds like a lot of fun.

However, I highly doubt MMORPG.com could afford me. image

..Your modesty knows no bounds....

I am actually interested.  I used to write for one of those "online blogs" a few years back, but my job picked up and I couldn't handle a 40 hour work week along with writing 5 articles over various topics a week.   The pay was minimal but the experience was nice.  My schedule is a little more lax now. Chances are, the MMORPG.com staff knows me all too well from posting here and probably wouldn't hire me based on that alone.  Personally I wouldn't blame them.

It's not an question of modesty. I can't very well reduce my rate because something sounds interesting to me. If my customers find out, they all expect a similar reduction.

Besides, self-promotion is what fosters new business. Unlike many people, I don't have the luxury of getting a paycheck just because I happen to "show up" between the hours of 9-5. I don't have the luxury of doing a good job -- I must to a great job or I don't get repeat business.

It my line of work, modesty doesn't make you successful, it makes you a loser.

Lol at the spelling mistake. Professional writer my hairy arse. Your ego is astounding.

Originally posted by Lickitung

Wow.... all these replies...

MMORPG's attempt to put a job posting out there has degenerated, in public response, into a troll-fest peppered with personal arguements.

Stop freaking arguing about 5-7 years of prior experience.  Yes, it's an important thing to look for... but if you take a look at any paper's classifieds, the only time they bother asking this sort of thing is if they're looking for FULL TIME people.  This is a PART TIME position.  And if MMORPG doesn't want to do it, THEY are the ones hiring, not you.

Stop the arguements and continued stabs at personal credentials and 'proffesional' crap.  BOTH SIDES have valid points and BOTH SIDES are being jerks in the way they are responding.  Part of 'proffessionalism' is also not allowing people to get under your skin with criticisms.  As a 'proffessional', you should be USED to recieving critique, both colorful and constructive, and be able to handle it like an adult.  Instead, you go off on tagents about the difference between humble and self confidence, self centeredness and meekness, wikipedia and encyclopedia.  How's this for a comparison?   Self Confident and Humble: Knowing you have the skills, but acknowledging that perhaps others do as well and not throwing yours out there.  Not demeaning others to make yourself look better.  Self Centered and inconsiderate: Touting yourself as the end all, beat all guru of awesome above anyone else.  Arguing that no one else could possibly be correct and that you are worth far and above a current topic.  Not recognizing the truth within other's words AS WELL AS your own.

Seriously...  I could watch the same quality of conversation on a kindergarten playground.

Good luck on getting the best person for the job, Mike B.  This lot of people aren't gonna be 100% happy one way or the other.

If you can't handle people discussing things in forums, don't visit forums.

Originally posted by Murphman

However, I highly doubt MMORPG.com could afford me. image

..Your modesty knows no bounds....

I am actually interested.  I used to write for one of those "online blogs" a few years back, but my job picked up and I couldn't handle a 40 hour work week along with writing 5 articles over various topics a week.   The pay was minimal but the experience was nice.  My schedule is a little more lax now. Chances are, the MMORPG.com staff knows me all too well from posting here and probably wouldn't hire me based on that alone.  Personally I wouldn't blame them.

It's not an question of modesty. I can't very well reduce my rate because something sounds interesting to me. If my customers find out, they all expect a similar reduction.

Besides, self-promotion is what fosters new business. Unlike many people, I don't have the luxury of getting a paycheck just because I happen to "show up" between the hours of 9-5. I don't have the luxury of doing a good job -- I must to a great job or I don't get repeat business.

It my line of work, modesty doesn't make you successful, it makes you a loser.

Lol at the spelling mistake. Professional writer my hairy arse. Your ego is astounding.

Yes, because all writers are perfect and never make any mistakes, even when they are typing on a netbook sitting in a coffee house. Your stupidity is astounding.

Originally posted by grunty

The office is in Hawaii.

Well then lets go to the office!

• KorhindiKorhindi Member CommonPosts: 395

It seems that some have mistaken ego for confidence.

A professional must have confidence in his abilities and his work.  That does sometimes include self promotion and very occassionaly defending one's work agressively.  Some folks may mistake such confidence and ardent support of one's work, and their steadfast belief in themselves, as ego, but there is a difference.

It is all about candor and tone.  Ego is self plugging and downgrading of others for its own sake.  The flaunting of credentials or the stomping on others' credentials and accomplishments is the most base forms of ego flexing.  Such actions is never considered professional though many "professionals" engage in such behavior, often at alarming regularity.

True professionals almost never have to brag, for they simply let their work do the bragging for them.

Originally posted by Korhindi

True professionals almost never have to brag, for they simply let their work do the bragging for them.

Unless they are politicians.