Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Okay, Hacking is getting much worse

SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351

This past week has been one of the worse weeks in history for my guild. Raids have been delayed. GB destroyed.

Let me start from the beginning, 3 Weeks ago my main Serenes Stormrage was hacked she was stipped of all sellable items even gear. She took everything she could have are GB this includes about 3 stacks of every kind of gem and about 600 infinite dust. 2 Weeks later my Gulld Leader is hacked then entire guild bank wiped and the same done to hes toon as mine. 1 Day Later my GF's account my friends account and 2 other Guildies accounts hacked GB's robbed and everything sold. which leads me to the question has blizzads servers been comprimised is it now only safe to log on if you have a authinticator?

This is becoming a much bigger problem for me and my guild then I ever though it could be.

Comments

• DreathorDreathor Member Posts: 537

Your guild website may be infected with something.

Maybe all of you followed a link someone posted to a 'dodgy' website (unknowingly) - would seem likely.

Maybe all of you had your email address publicly visible on a forum or something like that - and you all got brute forced.

The possibilities are endless - but yes - an authenticator GREATLY improves your security, but of course nothing is 110% safe.

"If all you can say is... "It's awful, it's not innovative, it's ugly, it's blah.." Then you're an unimaginative and unpolished excuse for human life" -eburn

• DalmontDalmont Member UncommonPosts: 272

Sounds like your forum got hacked and your all using the same names/passwords.

And I know people with authenticators that have been hacked too...so thats not even safe

• KilraneKilrane Member UncommonPosts: 322

This is just a guess but could it be a common mod you and your guild uses?  I know that mods have been subject of being infected in teh past, including popular mods.  Other then that you really should put an authenticator onto your account, its a small one time fee and totally worth it IMO.

• SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351

I don't follow links in emails. nor does my GF my Guilds Website password varies from my Account Info same as GFs and Guild Masters and this problem is growing on my server I have had many friends on the server say they have just got back from a hack.

Originally posted by Serenes
    I don't follow links in emails. nor does my GF my Guilds Website password varies from my Account Info same as GFs and Guild Masters and this problem is growing on my server I have had many friends on the server say they have just got back from a hack.

Irrelevant.

It's not your fault as such - but it's not Blizzard's either. You were just all unlucky in some way or another - probably an infected flash video that was linked in guildchat you all visited or something like that, just to give yet another example.

"If all you can say is... "It's awful, it's not innovative, it's ugly, it's blah.." Then you're an unimaginative and unpolished excuse for human life" -eburn

Thats lovely but this is a growing problem 6 people I know hit. Little more then just bad luck and not all of these people are guildies some are just In game friends.

• JakeadunkJakeadunk Member Posts: 142

Sounds to me either you are a really unlucky group of peeps or these hackers have the best luck ever in hacking. Either way if you change your password on a bi-weekly or even a weekly basis it will keep hackers from hacking you. Also a authenicater is I would say hack proof only way I see hacker getting it if it is given out by the owner. I feel in alot of cases where people have a rash of hacks it is because they visited a website they shouldnt of, or trusted someone they didn't know well with their password and account. Seems to me to coincidental to happen in the way you mention. Become wiser on your security and I feel you will avoid hackers alltogether.

Smarter than the average bear? That is assuming bears are smart.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Originally posted by Kilrane

This is just a guess but could it be a common mod you and your guild uses?  I know that mods have been subject of being infected in teh past, including popular mods.  Other then that you really should put an authenticator onto your account, its a small one time fee and totally worth it IMO.

It should be free.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

Thats lovely but this is a growing problem 6 people I know hit. Little more then just bad luck and not all of these people are guildies some are just In game friends.

Yes, it's obviously a growing problem.

But no - it IS plain bad luck if you get hacked when you're very good at keeping your account safe, staying up to date with security in general and being wary of any kind of link to a website you're not familiar with.

If someone is careless, well they have it coming to them - then it is a little more than just bad luck.

I thought you came here looking for advice or any ideas why you got hacked - but now it just seems that you're trying to trash Blizzard to vent your anger.

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Originally posted by Kilrane
    It should be free.

For once I actually find myself agreeing with you - we can be the best of friends for ever after :).

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Yea. I got hacked as well.  Didnt lose my account though.  I sent a ticket to blizzard and so far they have been very helpful in getting everything back.

• JakeadunkJakeadunk Member Posts: 142

Originally posted by marinrider
    Yea. I got hacked as well.  Didnt lose my account though.  I sent a ticket to blizzard and so far they have been very helpful in getting everything back.

Blizzard are extremely helpful in doing so if you are legitimly hacked. They don't just not do anything about it. if you weren't they usually know and will leave it up to you to stop it. If you get hacked more than once, then Blizzard feels it is your fault and you need to get educated on defending your accounts better.

Smarter than the average bear? That is assuming bears are smart.

Its been 3 weeks and I still have no Items... They gave back the stuff I stole from the GB but not anything else I'm still naked unable to raid or even dungeon grind.

• deadhopedeadhope Member Posts: 52

Getting your mods in websites other than the official ones will and i say WILL get you hacked. Cursed is the worst piece of crap website for mods. I think i saw a bluepost saying Cursed was one of the main reasons for hacked accounts. It's a gold mine for the Chinese and script kiddy kids.

Its been 3 weeks and I still have no Items... They gave back the stuff I stole from the GB but not anything else I'm still naked unable to raid or even dungeon grind.

Maybe they're investigating further as so many people in your guild got hacked - try asking for an update.

• CavallCavall Member Posts: 272

Do we really need another "I got hacked" post that will just end up as an argument for/against battle.net/activion-blizzard/facebook's selling of email adresses/lack of security/greed? Think I pretty much covered all the reasons that people cite in one form of another as ways accounts get hacked/bruteforced/stolen that have nothing to do with 3rd party sites or keyloggers.

Now that that is out of the way, please try to stay on the topic of comforting the OP and making them feel welcome here, okay? Since we've got all the argumentative issues out of the way and all, should be easy as pie. So try not to let it degenerate into any form of argument, especially against the personal character of another person, as 1 or 2 posts have been.

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

It would be interesting to know what add-ons are being used by people who claim to have been hacked. The funny thing is that, initially, WoW was going to ban any sort of add-on, but the modders did so much of the developers' jobs for them on the cheap that people now think that the game can't be played without them. Talk about opening Pandora's Box!

I've never used add-ons and never been "hacked". I bought an authenticator just for the the core hound pet, but using the thing is a damned nuisance when every other game is login and go.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• I would say 99% of people who claim to be "hacked" were in fact not hacked. They are ignorant gamers who went to a fishing site and filled out their password. I'd say a very small percent were hacked. Key loggers account for such a small minority of compromised accounts it is a moot point, and pretty much only becomes an issue when say Curse Gaming or other wowaddon sites become compromised. A lot of common sense issues that the ignorant crowd of WoW seems to forget is that NO and I repeat NO addon will require you to use a .exe which some people are like o let me click and install etc...

I would say that ignorance is getting much worse, and people need to take the initiative to prevent being phished and handing out access to their computer without a care. Although I have talked to some people over the years who love WoW, and don't even know the basics of even what runs or controls their system or how they even connect to the internet. They just know they are. Awareness is key, and people are just not being educated.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Originally posted by namelessbob

I would say 99% of people who claim to be "hacked" were in fact not hacked. They are ignorant gamers who went to a fishing site and filled out their password. I'd say a very small percent were hacked. Key loggers account for such a small minority of compromised accounts it is a moot point, and pretty much only becomes an issue when say Curse Gaming or other wowaddon sites become compromised. A lot of common sense issues that the ignorant crowd of WoW seems to forget is that NO and I repeat NO addon will require you to use a .exe which some people are like o let me click and install etc...

I would say that ignorance is getting much worse, and people need to take the initiative to prevent being phished and handing out access to their computer without a care. Although I have talked to some people over the years who love WoW, and don't even know the basics of even what runs or controls their system or how they even connect to the internet. They just know they are. Awareness is key, and people are just not being educated.

I agree with this.

There have been millions and millions of gamers who play this game.  Yet a very tiny percentage of people get hacked.

I really doubt that right now, there is someone sitting at their computer trying to "hack into JUST your account", or "Just your friends account".

If people used common sense when dealing with something that you put 20-40+ hours a week into, depending on how you play, there would be a lot less problems.  I've posted in a few threads about a few ideas to help with that issue.

As someone said, they should offer the authenticator for free, or some service like clicking numbers on a field in game from a number sequence you gave them.  But they won't.  Is having almost zero worries about your account you spend so much time on not worth a one time fee of $6.50?  If it isn't, then losing your account shouldn't be a big deal.  If it is, then why don't you have one?  You can't afford it, or the principal of not paying for it since it's blizzard?

• Harpy_LadyHarpy_Lady Member Posts: 137

I get the phishing emails all the time. There's at least 4 in my spam folder right now. Funny thing is, they were all sent to the email address I use for this site and others. The actual email I use for my wow account is used for only that purpose. I don't list that email anywhere else. So far, I haven't received any phishing emails to my registered account.

After reading threads like this one, I did order an authenticator. It would be nice if it was free, but $6.50 is not too bad for another layer of protection.