Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Adult Tonsillectomy

DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

Anyone have? Good, bad. ugly experience?

Mine are so enlarged I could not breathe last night. I am so sick right now, but they are overall very large.

Comments

• //\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767

Originally posted by Dekron

Anyone have? Good, bad. ugly experience?

Mine are so enlarged I could not breathe last night. I am so sick right now, but they are overall very large.

Can't say that I have, or I ever will, but I have a similar problem. Mucus tends to accumulate at the base of my tonsils and sometimes they will swell up. I treat myself, however, with copious amounts of vitamin C (5-12 grams).  Should I neglect taking vitamin C for more than one day at a time ,or if I get sick, they tend to swell up again.

I used to get a lot of sore throats as a kid (and still do), especially when the weather changes; almost always it was a form of strep throat.

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Nope, mine were out before I was ten.  Bill Cosby's riff on Tonsils is worth a listen though.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/bill-cosby/tracks/tonsils--523283

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524

A friend of mine at university had his out.  I think he was about 25 or so.  He had a rough time of it.  It was really painful.  Once it started scabbing, his breath was just atrocious.  He was very self concious about it.  It took him a good three weeks to recover.  He says he wouldn't do it again knowing what he knows now, but you probably don't always have that option.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

I came in here expecting graphic pictures. I am sorely disappointed.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Nope, still got mine, but I had my wisdom teeth chiseled out about a year back. I used to scoff at people saying their wisdom teeth hurt, I mean I had toothaches before and they were nothing. When my wisdoms started kicking I had to bury my head in a pillow and fight the four horsemen of pain for days. That really sucked.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• cooldevocooldevo Member Posts: 371

I had mine out at 27.

It wasn't fun, but it wasn't the end of the world either.  It was sore, had a lot of liquid (meal replacement drinks), and lots of ice cream.  When the stitches dissolve and let go a bit of bleeding is expected, but should be about a spoonful.  And as mentioned above the scabbing and healing leaves your breath a bit undesirable.  I was really tired of the meal replacement drinks by the end of the healing time though.  I was off for a couple of days.  When my stitches let go, there was a significant amount of bleeding, which can happen in a very small percentage of people.

Overall, it wasn't so bad that I wouldn't do it again, as they were big enough that they interfered with my breathing when I slept.  Since having them out I sleep much better and feel more rested.  Definitely worth it in my books.

As a side-note, tonsils are quite helpful as part of your immune system they are finding.  Unlike when you were scheduled to have them out as a kid, they prefer to not take them anymore if they don't have to (or at least they shouldn't be quick to remove them).  Also, you still can get sore throats without tonsils.  There is a very small chance they may grow back as well.

Hope that helps.

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

I have to go for a sleep study first so they can verify that is what is causing my breathing problems. My doctor told me he has to do it even though he feels their size warrants removal. He said it was for basically covering his ass - such a wasteful test. He knows, and I know, but for malpractice reasons, I am having to go through a $5000 test - yay, group insurance goes up because of me! :)

Anyways, I am 31 and have read the horror stories, so I am getting a bit freaked out. I work with a girl who recently had hers done and she had major bleeding when the scabs came off and had to go into ER surgery.

There is a new method called thermal welding I am hoping they will do - it heats the tonsil tissue to about 400C, but the surrounding tissue only increases in temp by ~5C so no burning damage. In standard electrocautery it heatws the surrounding tissue to 300-400C and makes it more painful.

They are about walnut size now - they were golf ball size when I was sick (when I posted this).

• CharPlumCharPlum Member Posts: 5

O.O I'm planning to remove mine this coming August... hope it turns out well..

Razor Ramon,I will hunt you down!

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

Mrs Baff needs one.

She snores.

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524

Originally posted by baff

Mrs Baff needs one.

She snores.

Don't put her through that!  Buy earplugs.