Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scariest Game

Comments

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Jagarus

Only game that I actually got a fright from is RE2 and only in the beginning of that game wandering around the police station.

One game that came out for Gamecube i think was ment to be scary, Enternal Darkness, completely messed with its players. Anyone who has played it knows what I mean. It was actually kind fun the sanity bar was a nice effect.

OMG...I had COMPLETELY forgotten about Eternal Darkness!  I didn't know a THING about that game before I played it and I am SO GLAD, because that made it wicked fun!  lol

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Ya eternal darkness was amazing, but my copy had problems freezing during loadscreens, so I never finished it. Man does that still burn me up to this day...

Otherwise, I reinstalled VTM:Bloodlines last night and redid the hotel level. Still a good segment, but the only time I jumped was when going down a dead end on the bannister in the lobby, where turning around shows the model of a ghost for a brief second. Maybe it's because I've done it before and realise where all the scripted events are, but I don't remember it being all that scary the first time around either. No enemies, no latent fear, just some interesting set pieces.

In fact, fighting the Garou was closer to making me shit myself than the hotel ever could.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

Originally posted by girlgeek

Originally posted by Jagarus

Only game that I actually got a fright from is RE2 and only in the beginning of that game wandering around the police station.

One game that came out for Gamecube i think was ment to be scary, Enternal Darkness, completely messed with its players. Anyone who has played it knows what I mean. It was actually kind fun the sanity bar was a nice effect.

OMG...I had COMPLETELY forgotten about Eternal Darkness!  I didn't know a THING about that game before I played it and I am SO GLAD, because that made it wicked fun!  lol

Yea Eternal Darkness got really creepy and scary as you progressed through it.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• ThrakkThrakk Member Posts: 1,226

I agree that Alone in the Dark 1 is good scary oldschool stuff. It's sort of like a prototype for resident evil

Anyways, here's the abandonware list of horror games you can download

I never played it but this game, Realms of the Haunting, looks particularly good

• kinzokukinzoku Member Posts: 29

My vote is on Dead Space, I loved it :)

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

Not being a big SPG'er for me it would have to be Vendetta Online.  Number 1 just because it was my first pure Pvp game and popping through the jump holes out near grey space used to just leave me sweating.  Pure psychological, popping out into the unknown, not ever knowing who was waiting for you .....

Now here's a couple of funny one's from my 12 year old.  He absolutely HATED the Myst series.  Would not even be in the same room when his mom played it.  Just totally creaped him out.  As a player he hated anytime we would go into a dungeon in DDO.  The whole dark atmosphere, sound effects, the works.  He finally dropped it  just cuz he refused to go into any more dungeons.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

I can't believe no one has mentioned this game yet.

http://www.callofcthulhu.com/

Call Of Cthulhu: Dark Corners Of The Earth.

Wear a diaper.

This is BY FAR the most terrifying thing I have EVER played. No contest. Just TRY to play this thing in the dark.

Fair warning: the first part of the game is kinda unnerving, but pretty mellow.

And then, out of nowhere....you're gonna be terrified.

The MAJOR drawback of the game is not being able to quick-save, or save at all between save spots. Yes, it increases the tension, but in some areas of the game it can lead to some very frustrating moments. But if you can get past that, I really can't recommend the game enough, at least for one play through.

There's a scene toward the end of the game (kind of a boss fight) that takes horror to a whole new level....my eyes literally watered, they were bugged so far out of my skull, as I cowered behind cover thinking "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT THING?!!"

Another wonderful part of this game....your character feels fear as well....and will go insane if you're not careful. Blur shaders impart his sense of vertigo, and his fear of heights. Rapid heart beat, and a tendency to start babbling to himself will clue you in to the fact that he's sliding off the deep end.

There is no health bar. You can break bones, and bleed to death very easily. You will need to use painkillers, sutures, bandages, splints, and other tools of the medical trade to stay alive. The game does not pause as you are hiding in the shadows, hoping to not be found by them as you bandage yourself up.

Go ahead.....give it a shot. I dare you.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Would have to say F.E.A.R and second by Dead Space

• mokoleusmokoleus Member Posts: 142

alien vs predator 2. playing as the marine is scarier then anything i've played or watched. the perfect sound of the motion tracker, predator purrs and cackles, alien hissing, in the dark. the first 15 minutes you don't encounter a single enemy.... still wasted a whole clip of ammo...... that pipe won't mess with me again....

love the silent series. shattered memories is a great game. just an awesome story, with some scares along the way. though it does miss out due to you know if there are enemies around

the fatal frame series is pretty good to. it does suffer from crap controls though, making the scares more artifical.

F.E.A.R was awesome. great musical score, and honestly, whats more scary to a man then a supernatural, blood covered little girl? huh?

eternal darkness was an amazing game. sadly the scares weren't all that great, but the various psychological tricks were awesome. like, going to save your game, and it saying your save file was corrupted, and then pretending to format your memory card. plus when it would start adjusting the volume, it used the same exact volume graphic as my tv... kept looking for the damn cat.... anyone that hasn't played eternal darkness, really needs to try it out.

• sanitysendsanitysend Member Posts: 123

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Wear a diaper.

This is BY FAR the most terrifying thing I have EVER played. No contest. Just TRY to play this thing in the dark.

The MAJOR drawback of the game is not being able to quick-save, or save at all between save spots. Yes, it increases the tension, but in some areas of the game it can lead to some very frustrating moments. But if you can get past that, I really can't recommend the game enough, at least for one play through.

There's a scene toward the end of the game (kind of a boss fight) that takes horror to a whole new level....my eyes literally watered, they were bugged so far out of my skull, as I cowered behind cover thinking "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT THING?!!"

Another wonderful part of this game....your character feels fear as well....and will go insane if you're not careful. Blur shaders impart his sense of vertigo, and his fear of heights. Rapid heart beat, and a tendency to start babbling to himself will clue you in to the fact that he's sliding off the deep end.

There is no health bar. You can break bones, and bleed to death very easily. You will need to use painkillers, sutures, bandages, splints, and other tools of the medical trade to stay alive. The game does not pause as you are hiding in the shadows, hoping to not be found by them as you bandage yourself up.

Is this game actually worth buying? Very curious about it....

By the way, just finished Alan Wake... It was amazing and the forests are incredibly creepy... sometimes the shadows and going to far off the path is downright scary.

Wildstar:
    Phantazm, Pago(PvP), Exiles

Guild: Socks with Sandals

Playing: Wildstar
    Retired/Tried: DCUO. The Secret World, Darkfall UW, Darkfall, Mortal Online, DDO, Rift, Fallen Earth, Aion, APB, EQ, EQ2, PoTBS, WoW, WAR, SWG, CoX, Vangaurd, CO, GW, EVE, DAoC, LotRO, SW:ToR, GW2, Dragon Nest

Originally posted by sanitysend

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Wear a diaper.

Is this game actually worth buying? Very curious about it....

By the way, just finished Alan Wake... It was amazing and the forests are incredibly creepy... sometimes the shadows and going to far off the path is downright scary.

Rumor has it you can pick it up at Direct2drive for $5.

I got it when it came out....replay it about once a year. It's worth the experience, IMO.

• pureckjpureckj Member Posts: 28

deadspace for sure

Bring back Vanilla WoW pvp

• Eternal Darkness is still number one for me. I still replay it every so often. The whole sanity meter was very well done, and some of the sanity effects were just really clever/creepy. Oddly enough, with all the stuff in that game the thing that always bothers me even today is when you start hearing someone slamming on the walls in the mansion.

Silent Hill 2 was my favorite of the series. I think it just messed with your head the most. The style and relationship of the normal enemies and Pyramid Head was really disturbing. Who can forget hiding in the closet during the first Pyramid Head cutscene and thinking 'did he really just do what I thought he did to that mannequin?' The crowning moment for me came when you see the video of the hospital room. I've disliked protaganists in games before, but it made me think 'damn, this bastard deserves to be here.'

F.E.A.R. had a number of great moments, and the way some of the Alma sightings worked actually made you nervous to turn around in-game. The one that made me jump was the ladder in the level Bad Water. Very well done.

Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth was also very well done. I enjoyed the sanity mechanic, especially when my character turned his shotgun on himself during one encounter that lasted a bit too long. The begining was so faithful to A Shadow Over Innsmouth that when I was stuck at one point I reread the story to give me a hint. I was almost dissapointed when I finally got my first weapon well into the game; it really drove home how terrifying it was to be defenseless apart from stealth and running speed. And my favorite moment was jumping around building rooftops, and suddenly realizing that the player character has a bad case of vertigo.

Still, there are many horror games that I haven't played yet and really want to. I've heard good things about that Condemned game, and if I owned a console I'd be playing Alan Wake right now. I also always wanted to play The Thing video game, seeing as the movie it's based on is one of my favorite horror films. I hope I can find it or buy it on a digital download some day.

Originally posted by Sawtooth

Still, there are many horror games that I haven't played yet and really want to. I've heard good things about that Condemned game, and if I owned a console I'd be playing Alan Wake right now. I also always wanted to play The Thing video game, seeing as the movie it's based on is one of my favorite horror films. I hope I can find it or buy it on a digital download some day.

Condemned is very good. I like the melee combat mechanics. Most of the time you're using some random piece of the surroundings as an improvided weapon.....a board with nails in it, a power conduit pipe ripped from a breaker box, etc.

Very creepy, and immersive.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Dead Space, if played on hard alone at night, with headphones volume up. Amazing horror atmosphere

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

Originally posted by spookydom

Vampire the masquerade: Bloodlines. The Hotel. Anybody who has played it knows what i'm talking about. Played it again a few months ago. Even though I knew every quick time event that was going to hapen I still got very bad poopy pants. Work of genius.

I remember that part, wasn't that it was scary, it was the fact that everything was trying to kill you, including lamps.

As for scarriest game, I haven't experienced anything to actually put me in a situation where opening a door takes time because you're trying to work up the nerve. RE 1-2 did this, so did the original Silent hill. Dead space was good, nothing scary though.

Also, the game as a whole may not have been scary but one creature will haunt my dreams because of it's breathing, stretching head, and constant regenration.  Say hi to this bastard

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

Doom 3, there was this one room filled with mainframes, as you go through it you hear this messed up childrens laughter, once you're about halfway through what little lighting there was fails and you become surrounded by evil spiders with babies heads. I went through that content as quick as I could to say the very least.

O_o o_O

• Winter_FoxWinter_Fox Member Posts: 1

One of the more scarier games I've played would be the Penumbra series, getting lost in the arctic wilderness, going into a desolent mine, and a desperate search for your father!

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

For me, off the top of my head, I can name 3 titles that stood out.

FEAR 2 - some great moments that had me on the edge of my seat.

Dead Space - From the first moment you encounter the aliens/monster/w/e your scared shittless till the end on the planet.

Doom 3 - The game was so dark, and had so many gotcha moments.

The winner of al time tho has to be dead space, it just HAS to be!

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by sanitysend

Simple question: What is the scariest game (games?) you have ever played and what made them so scary? Was it jump scares, slashers, gore, psychological, or just the general atmosphere?

I only ask because I'm playing through Silent Hill: Shattered Memories on the Wii and while it isn't exactly "scary" it does nail a pretty unnerving atmosphere. I just think it needs danger to not be as predictable (monsters only appear when the world freezes over).

/discuss :D

I'm pretty relaxed playing games or watching movies. I'm not "scared" that quickly. But Half Life was one that realy worked on my nerves. The whole atmosphere of the game made me nearly jump whenever something unexpected happened...

• AgentcoraAgentcora Member Posts: 4

I love yet hate playing Silent Hill 2 in the dark with the sound turned up. That damn siren will haunt me forever!  For me this is the scariest game i've played.

Although if i'm drunk, Left Dead witches creep the crap out of me!

Agentcora - Anarchy Online (Rimor)
    Razcull - WoW (Executus) (EU)
    Razcull - Eve Online

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

Here's my picks:

Silent Hill 1 & 2

Resident Evil 1 & 2

System Shock 2

Condemned

• AztheticaAzthetica Member Posts: 6

The Resident Evil Zero game scare the shapoopy out of me.

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

Ive passed on a lot of horror games mainly because theyre just too predictable. 

Deadspace was pretty damn good though.  Ive also heard some fantastic things about "Alan Wake" so I'm gonna try and pick that one up this week.

• arikingariking Member Posts: 7

i would go with resident evil : code veronica. Yes it scared me.