Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me to like LOTRO

2»

Comments

• HunterbaineHunterbaine Member Posts: 23

Lotro is a decent game, but I found it to be wanting after awhile. Slow combat, endless grinding for gear at the higher lvls. The quests had well thought out story lines but, price was right but I just lost intrest while in moria. I am enjoying AOC much much more.

• SwoogieSwoogie Member UncommonPosts: 399

Originally posted by Robsolf

Having done the same thing, tried the game 3-4 times and couldn't really like it, then one final time last March and I got hooked, I'll provide some input.

As far as it seeming "safe" in the beginning.  If by "safe", you mean, you have no fear of another player coming to gank you, then you should know you'll only get that feeling in Monster Play.  LotRO is largely a PVE game.

If you mean, the environments seem safe and cozy and all the supplies are all made to sound like comfort food, then that is because of the Tolkein lore.  Places like Bree, The Shire, etc are almost completely untouched by the Dark Lord, and aside from the occasional bandit companies, life is good.  With the exception of the Barrow Downs and the Old Forest, things don't start getting dark until areas like Fornost, and areas east of Trestlebridge.  Things grow gradually darker through the zones, getting full on surrounded by orcs, creeps, and haunts by the time you hit Angmar.  Then Moria is mostly dark(literally), Lothlorien is broodingly cheerful, then Mirkwood is just dark dark dark... the most comfortable feeling place is called the Haunted Inn.

It really does help to appreciate the areas if you've read the books, or at very least seen the movies, though LotRO follows the mood of the books more than the movies do.

Finally, take a close look at your character info screen and try to get an idea of what the different stats all mean.  Take a look at how Deeds customize your character.  Look at the list of skills you have and what they do.  This isn't WoW where you hit with the highest damage manuever then move to the next highest based on what has recharged.  By level 20, you should have a good number of options and at max level, you'll have a ton.  You'll be able to optimize your favorite skills via Deeds and Traits.  They seem insignificant at first, but get much more powerful when combined together strategically.

Progression isn't just deep, it's WIDE.  There are few MMO's that allow this kind of customization, let alone the ability to change up via the nearest Bard for a fee.  And that's before you get to Legendary Items.

This.

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785

Originally posted by Swoogie

Originally posted by Robsolf

Having done the same thing, tried the game 3-4 times and couldn't really like it, then one final time last March and I got hooked, I'll provide some input.

As far as it seeming "safe" in the beginning.  If by "safe", you mean, you have no fear of another player coming to gank you, then you should know you'll only get that feeling in Monster Play.  LotRO is largely a PVE game.

If you mean, the environments seem safe and cozy and all the supplies are all made to sound like comfort food, then that is because of the Tolkein lore.  Places like Bree, The Shire, etc are almost completely untouched by the Dark Lord, and aside from the occasional bandit companies, life is good.  With the exception of the Barrow Downs and the Old Forest, things don't start getting dark until areas like Fornost, and areas east of Trestlebridge.  Things grow gradually darker through the zones, getting full on surrounded by orcs, creeps, and haunts by the time you hit Angmar.  Then Moria is mostly dark(literally), Lothlorien is broodingly cheerful, then Mirkwood is just dark dark dark... the most comfortable feeling place is called the Haunted Inn.

It really does help to appreciate the areas if you've read the books, or at very least seen the movies, though LotRO follows the mood of the books more than the movies do.

Finally, take a close look at your character info screen and try to get an idea of what the different stats all mean.  Take a look at how Deeds customize your character.  Look at the list of skills you have and what they do.  This isn't WoW where you hit with the highest damage manuever then move to the next highest based on what has recharged.  By level 20, you should have a good number of options and at max level, you'll have a ton.  You'll be able to optimize your favorite skills via Deeds and Traits.  They seem insignificant at first, but get much more powerful when combined together strategically.

Progression isn't just deep, it's WIDE.  There are few MMO's that allow this kind of customization, let alone the ability to change up via the nearest Bard for a fee.  And that's before you get to Legendary Items.

This.

Absolutely. Great post.

• gurthgorgurthgor Member Posts: 279

Is happening the same to me, all great but there is no risk , no war, so what is the fun here, just killing virtual things, get virtual lvls and keep going up to the max. Its like the lotro book without any war, would be boring to hell, you could feel chars in the story were safe then where is the risk and the fun?
    Also its quite unrealistic, dying means nothing, less than nothing, why keep the road in a mountain if you just can jump from the top and keep walking.

Blade with whom i have lived, blade with whom I now die. Serve right and justice one last time. Seek one last heart of evil. Still one last life of pain. Cut well old friend. Then farewell!

• xx19kilosoldxx19kilosold Member Posts: 209

Originally posted by gurthgor

Is happening the same to me, all great but there is no risk , no war, so what is the fun here, just killing virtual things, get virtual lvls and keep going up to the max. Its like the lotro book without any war, would be boring to hell, you could feel chars in the story were safe then where is the risk and the fun?

Also its quite unrealistic, dying means nothing, less than nothing, why keep the road in a mountain if you just can jump from the top and keep walking.

I dont think a game tap the higher mainstream gaming market without some well rounded aspects including pvp. A game has to have a good mix and be well balanced in all areas to really not be a "niche" game. Lotro is a niche game.  Its a good adaptation by Turbine of  the LoTR. But IP alone will not make a game great. (see STO, SWG) . As a result many will have the same view of the game that you have.  This is a casual pve game. Its def not on mainstream gamers radar, and its not ever going to see huge success like the game it "tried" to imitate.

• levin70levin70 Member Posts: 87

Fall in love with lotteries and RNG's.  It's pretty much the only way you will end up liking Lotro after hitting level 45

Regards

• ElectriceyeElectriceye Member UncommonPosts: 1,171

Originally posted by gurthgor

Now, a few years after reading the book, just thinking of Sam and Frodo exhausted, terrified, having no food or water, desperately walking towards Mordor during their last hurdle still sends chills through my spine.. No game can ever do it justice.

That's not to say lotro is a bad game because it's still possibly the most immersive game out there, but it simply can't come close to giving you the same spectacular experience. It's only a game afterall. Going into it expecting to have the same experience (or close to it) you had with the book will doubtlessly leave people disappointed more often than not.