Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An actual update!!!

2»

Comments

• jokerthag2jokerthag2 Member Posts: 37

Originally posted by Thorpeyrox

One man, one mission, several forum accounts - to convince everyone MO is going to fail.

I've seen the desync fixed for myself, all I want now is the mob pathing / AI to be fixed and I'm happy.

i dont think there going to forget to fix i think it was alow priority issue. it might be be fixed in todays/tommorrow patch we will see

• ThorpeyroxThorpeyrox Member Posts: 125

Originally posted by jokerthag2

One man, one mission, several forum accounts - to convince everyone MO is going to fail.

I've seen the desync fixed for myself, all I want now is the mob pathing / AI to be fixed and I'm happy.

i dont think there going to forget to fix i think it was alow priority issue. it might be be fixed in todays/tommorrow patch we will see

Yup, *fingers crossed* but if they don't fixed it just yet I can wait, there's nothing better around.

• jokerthag2jokerthag2 Member Posts: 37

Yup, *fingers crossed* but if they don't fixed it just yet I can wait, there's nothing better around.

no maybe in bug free stable and some what complete wise but for gameplay wise no. im really looking forward to ff14 should be an awsome pve mmo

• HerculesSASHerculesSAS Member Posts: 1,272

Originally posted by merieke82

Originally posted by HerculesSAS

Originally posted by randomt

Coming from a networking background, I can pretty safely say that this statement does not inspire any kind of confidence in the viability of their software.

Tracking software, or lack of it, has no effect on network sync, or rather, having to track each packet would add overheard and would make the problem worse.

Perhaps the meaning of his statement was lost in translation though, being that they are swedish and all that..

That's why I mentioned the UDP/TCP point earlier -- TCP is configured to be "tracked" by the packet form itself, and UDP is not. And since Unreal3/Atlas uses UDP (as most games do), I have to laugh at the notion they are tracking packets specifically designed *not* to be tracked.

funny thing is the udk supports tcp and udp so your lil notion just went out the window.

here ill paste this

Nov 9, 2009 ... Unreal Engine 3, Now Free for Non-Commercial Use: Go 3D Eye Candy! .... UDK supports UDP and TCP network communication

I think the confusion is that tracking doesn't mean tracking down where the user lives who sent the packet. It means monitoring what happens when the server receives a packet and what the server does with that data. It doesn't matter what protocol you're using. If data is sent to a server you can insert debugging steps and breakpoints within your code to monitor the life of that packet within your server.

Honestly though, I would guess that the issue comes up after the packets are received and converted to internal system variables. I doubt they actually need to track the packets themselves.

Agreed on that point, but if you're wrapping your packets, it's only for debug purposes -- nothing that should be in the game that's releasing in less than two weeks from now.

As for Unreal3 supporting TCP it may well be true, but from what I've seen and read on the Epic Games site and forums -- the UDP transmission is the only thing being used for Atlas. If they added TCP you'd more than double your needed CPU because of what has to be translated within each packet. The packet *size* is the same, but the amount of computing you'd lose is huge, and basically unusable for any MMO. For a multiplayer game with 16-32 players, I suppose it's doable -- but again, it stresses the server heavily. That's why all multiplayer games use UDP rather than TCP, but it's nice to see that UE3 supports TCP too. Maybe there will be a day where the packets are translated with less CPU, but that day isn't now.

Either way... to have a solution in place that is tracking packets, less than two weeks before launch (as I said), is just a great way to show what a sorry state MO is in right now.

• SaorlanSaorlan Member Posts: 289

FFIX? Er your joking right? That is for kiddies and kiddy fiddlers.

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326

Originally posted by merieke82

Originally posted by randomt

Coming from a networking background, I can pretty safely say that this statement does not inspire any kind of confidence in the viability of their software.

Tracking software, or lack of it, has no effect on network sync, or rather, having to track each packet would add overheard and would make the problem worse.

Perhaps the meaning of his statement was lost in translation though, being that they are swedish and all that..

That's why I mentioned the UDP/TCP point earlier -- TCP is configured to be "tracked" by the packet form itself, and UDP is not. And since Unreal3/Atlas uses UDP (as most games do), I have to laugh at the notion they are tracking packets specifically designed *not* to be tracked.

funny thing is the udk supports tcp and udp so your lil notion just went out the window.

here ill paste this

Nov 9, 2009 ... Unreal Engine 3, Now Free for Non-Commercial Use: Go 3D Eye Candy! .... UDK supports UDP and TCP network communication

I think the confusion is that tracking doesn't mean tracking down where the user lives who sent the packet. It means monitoring what happens when the server receives a packet and what the server does with that data. It doesn't matter what protocol you're using. If data is sent to a server you can insert debugging steps and breakpoints within your code to monitor the life of that packet within your server.

Honestly though, I would guess that the issue comes up after the packets are received and converted to internal system variables. I doubt they actually need to track the packets themselves.

Agreed on that point, but if you're wrapping your packets, it's only for debug purposes -- nothing that should be in the game that's releasing in less than two weeks from now.

As for Unreal3 supporting TCP it may well be true, but from what I've seen and read on the Epic Games site and forums -- the UDP transmission is the only thing being used for Atlas. If they added TCP you'd more than double your needed CPU because of what has to be translated within each packet. The packet *size* is the same, but the amount of computing you'd lose is huge, and basically unusable for any MMO. For a multiplayer game with 16-32 players, I suppose it's doable -- but again, it stresses the server heavily. That's why all multiplayer games use UDP rather than TCP, but it's nice to see that UE3 supports TCP too. Maybe there will be a day where the packets are translated with less CPU, but that day isn't now.

Either way... to have a solution in place that is tracking packets, less than two weeks before launch (as I said), is just a great way to show what a sorry state MO is in right now.

You are right. TCP is used for lobbies and login parts. They are too "heavy" to be used movement and other stuff.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

-------------------------------------------------------

this