Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Red Dead Redemption a Suprise hit for Gamestop

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

During an investors call today, GameStop executive VP of Merchandise and Markerting Tony Bartel mentioned that the company's recent earnings had been boosted by a title that apparently wasn't expected to be such a powerhouse. "Red Dead Redemption has been one of the very positive surprises," Bartel explained. "It probably has outperformed as large as any title has so far year-to-date." (Redemption was released this week, so presumably Bartel is largely referring to pre-order figures.)

As we see it, this could mean one of two things: Either Red Dead Redemption is doing outrageously, phenomenally well, or GameStop didn't expect a game made by Rockstar, which had a marketing budget of a hojillion dollars, to have much sales power. Considering the company isn't run by baboons, we doubt it's the latter.

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/20/red-dead-redemption-a-surprise-hit-for-gamestop/

Comments

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Just picked up my copy about 30 minutes ago. cant wait to get off work and check it out in a few hours. pretty much everything ive heard of the game so far has been positive. Maybe a couple minor issues here and there, but overall it seems nearly everyone playing it is enjoying it a lot.

• scruffoscruffo Member Posts: 38

Looks awsome hope it is :)

i thought age of conan was ment to be new and exciting...

• sanitysendsanitysend Member Posts: 123

The multiplayer is just one small step away from being a sandbox MMO... Free roam = best multiplayer "lobby" ever!

The game itself is pretty amazing through and through. Almost finished it, I'm loving ever second.

Wildstar:
    Phantazm, Pago(PvP), Exiles

Guild: Socks with Sandals

Playing: Wildstar
    Retired/Tried: DCUO. The Secret World, Darkfall UW, Darkfall, Mortal Online, DDO, Rift, Fallen Earth, Aion, APB, EQ, EQ2, PoTBS, WoW, WAR, SWG, CoX, Vangaurd, CO, GW, EVE, DAoC, LotRO, SW:ToR, GW2, Dragon Nest

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Considering the amount of hype both amongst gamers and in the media related to this game, the history of how Rockstar games tend to perform saleswise,  and the fact  Red Dead Revolver had impressive sales within itself  - how in the hell could this be a surpise hit to anyone except someone that spent the last six months in a coma?

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by sanitysend

The multiplayer is just one small step away from being a sandbox MMO... Free roam = best multiplayer "lobby" ever!

The game itself is pretty amazing through and through. Almost finished it, I'm loving ever second.

Can you craft your own gun ammunition, saddle and store-front?

• JSchindlerJSchindler Member Posts: 87

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

Nope, Nope and Nope.

Red Dead Redemption is a great game, but it's a LONG way from being an MMO.

The multiplayer is basically just a graphical 15 player lobbly with a few PVE areas.

That is the one thing the game does seem to be lacking, any sort of crafting. A shame too, since there is so much stuff you collect between gathering herbs/plants and especially the amount of stuff you get from animal skinning (meats, claws, furs, fangs, etc). If they had added a little bit more, like wood gathering and mining (havent gotten too far yet, so i could be wrong maybe thats also in there) you would have everything you need to craft, rather than just selling all those mats off to NPCs for cash.

Only other issue ive got with the game is the insta-drowning when you enter water higher than your waist. No warning, no chance to even swim a short distance bak to safety, just happen to walk a little too far out into the bigger rivers and it's insta death.

Beyond those 2 issues though, it's definitely one of the best & funnest games ive played in long time. The look & feel of the game, out in the desert wilderness is amazing. I live in the desert myself, Phoenix, AZ, and the recreation of the desert wilderness is awesome, great immersion. So fun going out in the middle of the night in the wild stalking prey and suddenly getting attacked by a pack of wolves, or coyotes, or a roaming cougar. They did an amazing job with the sound too, it can be real tough to see things at a distance at night, but by listening closely to the sounds around you, you can pinpoint animals and people nearby.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

Person running a company called "Gamestop" was surprised when an extremely anticipated "Game" called Red Dead Redemption sells many copies... What the hell is happening to these companies. Are you all literally just choosing to be idiots. Blatant fucking retards.... other words and terms to describe how 1 or a group of individuals can be complete morons.  AH!

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

I totally scond that ! :)

and its making me wonder why someone has'nt made a wild west Mmo yet , if this game is anything to go by it would be hugely successful, also I dont think I have ever had as much fun in a game before as this one !

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Nope ,  no need .... just shoot em and stea l" whutever"  you want partner !   :p

Originally posted by aleos

Person running a company called "Gamestop" was surprised when an extremely anticipated "Game" called Red Dead Redemption sells many copies... What the hell is happening to these companies. Are you all literally just choosing to be idiots. Blatant fucking retards.... other words and terms to describe how 1 or a group of individuals can be complete morons.  AH!

Well, granted, they should have expected it to be a hit, but i think its just a matter fo it being a bigger hit than expected. Most of the time, youve got 1 group who make a game a success, such as FPS fans making games like CoD, R6, GR, etc hits, because of that niche of the market, but i think this was one of those game sthat they expected a group like that to get, but instead several groups who are into other genres besides FPS bought the hell out of the game.

I know several friends and coworkers who normally dont play the type of game that RDR is, who either already picked it up and love it, or are getting it this week because of all the great things theyve heard about it. Its kind of like with WoW. Sure it was expected to be succesful amongst MMO players, but they didnt foresee the vast influx of non-MMO gamers who became WoW players because it appealed to those outside of its own genre too.

• pureckjpureckj Member Posts: 28

looks nice

Bring back Vanilla WoW pvp