Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Runic Games 'putting serious effort' into console Torchlight

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Just more proof that consoles are becoming more of the future for developers and publishers. Pretty soon all the good mmso will be on the console too. Might as well get used to it. Oh and yes, I'll be getting my console version of Torchlight. :)

Link - http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/10/runic-games-putting-serious-effort-into-console-torchlight/

Comments

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Because a small developer is putting effort into a console version of Torchlight, this means that consoles are the future?

Cool, maybe I can jump ship now before it gets worse.

• Mellow44Mellow44 Member Posts: 599

/sarcasm

Yes, why develop on a format that has a common standard when you can just develop it on a format that will become obsolete in a few years time.

/end sarcasm

And as regards to devs thinking that consoles are the future because of software piracy, console games will get heavy pirated too once a sertain console has sold a large amount of units, say 50 million plus or so.

All those memories will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.

• elusivexelusivex Member Posts: 86

Console mmorpgs  never end up grabbing much market share.  

A man or "gamer" should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.

It's a hack and slasher actually and not massively at all. image

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558

Did you expect them to say "we're putting little effort into development"  ?????

• MiffyMiffy Member Posts: 244

The game wont even sell on the consoles : What they shoulda put effort into was online coop for Torchlight.

• pojungpojung Member Posts: 810

Knowing the backstory to Runic I was inclined to pick up a copy of Torchlight to support who they are and their design vision. Coursework prevents me from doing anything these days, however.

These being the geniuses (people, not company) behind many of the industry's greatest titles, this would be something to watch.

That is exactly right, and we're not saying NO to save WoW, because it is already a lost cause. We are saying NO to dissuade the next group of greedy suits who decide to emulate Blizzard and Cryptic, etc.
    We can prevent some of the future games from spewing this crap, but the sooner we start saying no, the better the results will be.
    So - Stand up, pull up your pants, and walk away.
    - MMO_Doubter

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

The point is that we see yet another developer going the console route. They wouldn't be making Torchlight for the console if they thought they weren't going to make money out of the deal. As time passes on you will see less and less developers do pc only games. Developers like turbine CCPand Undead Labs are making console only mmos so to say console games will not be good or profitable is totally false. Microsoft and Sony each have over 10 million people playing on their consoles.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

Here is what will happen.. They will make the game for consoles AND it will have coop forcing the people who bought it on the PC to buy it yet again if they want to play with others.

Obvious money grab plan.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by Mellow44

/sarcasm

Yes, why develop on a format that has a common standard when you can just develop it on a format that will become obsolete in a few years time.

/end sarcasm

And as regards to devs thinking that consoles are the future because of software piracy, console games will get heavy pirated too once a sertain console has sold a large amount of units, say 50 million plus or so.

The XBox 360 basically uses a streamlined version of Windows as it's OS so I guess you think PCs will be obsolete in a few years as well? LOL image

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• AlysenMinaseAlysenMinase Member Posts: 361

Originally posted by Brenelael

/sarcasm

/end sarcasm

The XBox 360 basically uses a streamlined version of Windows as it's OS so I guess you think PCs will be obsolete in a few years as well? LOL image

Bren

I think he meant how you can upgrade PC's, but for consoles you have to buy a new one every gen.

Playing - EVE, Wurm

Retired - Final Fantasy XI, Anarchy Online, Mabinogi

Waiting - ArcheAge, Salem

Originally posted by AlysenMinase

/sarcasm

/end sarcasm

Bren

I think he meant how you can upgrade PC's, but for consoles you have to buy a new one every gen.

True, but when you consider a current generation Console costs less than a single current generation Processor or Video Card... I think you know where I'm going with this. image

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

/sarcasm

/end sarcasm

Bren

Yes, thats exactly what I meant. image

/sarcasm

/end sarcasm

Bren

True, but when you consider a current generation Console costs less than a single current generation Processor or Video Card... I think you know where I'm going with this. image

Bren

Do you think that a high-end graphics card for the PC will deliver the same visuals as your console?

The Xbox 360 or whatever costs that little because it has a graphics card thats several generation old, try and wrap your mind around that.

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558

Torchlight is pretty crappy anyway.  It's a hack-n-slash with no interesting storyline.  It will be overshadowed by Diablo 3 (when if finally releases).

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

<sigh>

Another PC vs. Console thread.....

When is everyone on the PC side going to figure out that games are not just graphics?

when are the people on the console side going to figure out that antagonizing PC elitists is pointless.

the only people that really care about cutting edge graphics are CG professionals, technophiles and graphics whores. The first group cares because it's their job, the second group cares because they get off on the hardware itself and the last group just wants to impress other people with what their rig can do.

Gamers, by contrast, care about how a game plays. I don't play RTS games on consoles because that genre is really better suited to a keyboard and mouse. I don't play sports games on the PC, because those games are better suited to a gamepad. I don't play fighting games on PCs or Consoles because those games are best suited to the arcade and require a custom made MAME cabinet.

In short, a gamer  will play a game whether its on a PC, Console or cereal box. We like to play games. Not look at them. Not dick around with hardware and graphics settings. But play them.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

While I actually agree that consoles will eventually be getting a large portion of mmos that come out, I can't say I'm real enthused about the Torchlight mmo.

I thought the game was rather boring myself.  I've just played way too many of those hack/slash types to get interested in them any more especially when they don't really have much gameplay or story to them. 

It reminded me of a watered down version of Dungeon Runners.  Not that Dungeon Runners was anything special but it was multiplayer and seemed a lot more fleshed out than Torchlight was overall. Of course, I suppose since Dungeon Runners is no more and you enjoyed that style of game than Torchlight would be your thing especially if they make an mmo out of it.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by Jimmy_Scythe

Another PC vs. Console thread.....

When is everyone on the PC side going to figure out that games are not just graphics?

when are the people on the console side going to figure out that antagonizing PC elitists is pointless.

the only people that really care about cutting edge graphics are CG professionals, technophiles and graphics whores. The first group cares because it's their job, the second group cares because they get off on the hardware itself and the last group just wants to impress other people with what their rig can do.

Gamers, by contrast, care about how a game plays. I don't play RTS games on consoles because that genre is really better suited to a keyboard and mouse. I don't play sports games on the PC, because those games are better suited to a gamepad. I don't play fighting games on PCs or Consoles because those games are best suited to the arcade and require a custom made MAME cabinet.

In short, a gamer  will play a game whether its on a PC, Console or cereal box. We like to play games. Not look at them. Not dick around with hardware and graphics settings. But play them.

I agree with this 100%. A gamer really doesn't care about any of this. A gamer just wants to have fun... period. It really doesn't matter what the platform is as long as the game is designed for it and is fun to play. I play games in very much the same maner as Jimmy_Scythe describes above. If the game is fun who really cares what platform it's on?

I used to be a rabid PC-Elitist(Comes with being an IT professional) but when I finally got over myself and tried the current generation of consoles I realised just how stupid I was being.

Edit: Oh and I think a Torchlight console port will probably be great fun to play. I'm also happy that they are taking their time and porting it right so it will have the right 'feel' on the consoles. I already played the hell out of it on the PC so I probably won't get it but it should be very enjoyable to all those that haven't tried this great game yet.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• merieke82merieke82 Member Posts: 165

I'm an adult so I can afford a high-end computer that plays games and let's me do work.

Like many of my generation I've grown up using computers and know how to buy parts on the cheap and upgrade the same system over the course of many years. I can multi task work, email, games, web surfing all on one system.

If you can't afford a good PC, I get it. It's ignorant to think that the gaming market is going to consoles. It's an entirely different target audience.

Oh and on topic: Torchlight was only an average game ... amazing for it's price, but just average overall.

• Redline65Redline65 Member Posts: 486

Maybe I've just been out of the loop, but I thought they were supposed to take Torchlight in a multiplayer direction? Wasn't there talk of turning it into an MMO or something?

• merieke82merieke82 Member Posts: 165

Originally posted by Redline65

Maybe I've just been out of the loop, but I thought they were supposed to take Torchlight in a multiplayer direction? Wasn't there talk of turning it into an MMO or something?

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3245

1) Will there be multiplayer in Torchlight (the single player ARPG that is currently released)?

No. The developers do not plan to add a multiplayer to the currently released version of Torchlight. There is a very rare possibility a 3rd party multiplayer mod could arise, but it is unlikely, and isn't official.

2) Then what is this Torchlight Multiplayer I keep hearing about?

The Torchlight MMO is a separate game from the Torchlight ARPG that has already been released. It will be a free-to-play + online shop MMO game set in the Torchlight world. This will be an MMO, and thus multiplayer. This is not a multiplayer mod to the Torchlight ARPG and you will not be able to carry over your current Torchlight character into the MMO version.

• pureckjpureckj Member Posts: 28

they should. it will be worth it

Bring back Vanilla WoW pvp