Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does everyone still use WSAD?

2»

Comments

• pojungpojung Member Posts: 810

Absolutely. As a complement to mouse movement. Being able to use abilities with both hands and control movement with both hands is paramount. The right covers down for the left, and vice versa.

Edit: complement, not compliment!

That is exactly right, and we're not saying NO to save WoW, because it is already a lost cause. We are saying NO to dissuade the next group of greedy suits who decide to emulate Blizzard and Cryptic, etc.
    We can prevent some of the future games from spewing this crap, but the sooner we start saying no, the better the results will be.
    So - Stand up, pull up your pants, and walk away.
    - MMO_Doubter

• DerrialDerrial Member Posts: 250

Originally posted by Agricola1
    WASD? I haven't used them in long time thanks to my Merc Stealth Keyboard and I don't think I could go back now either.

That does look pretty nice... I like that it doesn't mess around with the regular keyboard part for typing. I might have to treat myself to one of those someday.

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

Originally posted by CayneJobb

WASD? I haven't used them in long time thanks to my Merc Stealth Keyboard and I don't think I could go back now either.

That does look pretty nice... I like that it doesn't mess around with the regular keyboard part for typing. I might have to treat myself to one of those someday.

The thing that scares me about $100 keyboards, i dont want to spend tons of time trying to get it to work right, will it work with every game, will i have to reprogram it if i decide to play 2 difrrent mmorpgs.  What if it doesnt work right.  Oh and damaging or destroying a keyboard at $10 a pop isnt a big deal.

But yes that keyboard, if working properly, looks to be perfect for mmorpgs.  I would consider buying that, if the above mentioned worries were put to rest.  Oh and if it didnt look like it would scare the shit out of any non gamer who may use my computer.

• DaywolfDaywolf Member Posts: 749

Yup, WSAD is home row, so it’s common especially as I don’t want to look at my ugly keyboard… especially the worn off letters on the WSAD keys lol.

Other than that, 10-key is usable. Like in Earth and Beyond, 10-key (custom keybinding) was perfect for that.

M59, UO, EQ1, WWIIOL, PS, EnB, SL, SWG. MoM, EQ2, AO, SB, CoH, LOTRO, WoW, DDO+ f2p's, Demo’s & indie alpha's.

• Hrayr2148Hrayr2148 Member Posts: 649

WSAD for the last 7 years of mmo gaming.  Got the G13 two weeks ago and will never be going back.  I use the G13 joystick for movement/strafing and my mouse for camera/looking.  The WSAD are now bind keys for abilities.

Before, I couldn't move and use abilities at the same time.  I realize now why I was getting completely owned in PVP. 

If people don't think there's a competitive advantage from mouse clicking < key binding < gaming device (Razor Naga mouse or G13), you are seriously mistaken.

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Used WASD for ages, then I gave ESDF a try when I started playing Aion last year. It is just so much more natural having my index finger on 'F' for both typing and character control. And then you have pinky finger access to QAZ if you want. Now I have to rebind for every new game I play because WASD just feels awful.

Another trick I use now is to rebind Mouse4 to Alt, and set a second row on the hotbar to Alt+key.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Originally posted by crunchyblack

The thing that scares me about $100 keyboards, i dont want to spend tons of time trying to get it to work right, will it work with every game, will i have to reprogram it if i decide to play 2 difrrent mmorpgs.  What if it doesnt work right.  Oh and damaging or destroying a keyboard at $10 a pop isnt a big deal.

But yes that keyboard, if working properly, looks to be perfect for mmorpgs.  I would consider buying that, if the above mentioned worries were put to rest.  Oh and if it didnt look like it would scare the shit out of any non gamer who may use my computer.

I have it myself and there's a list of games that support it, now not all games but it supports many.

The numbers 1 to 11 can still be used as num pads in an mmo if no let's call it "game mod" has been applied and same for the rest of the buttons because they are keyboard keys excluding the number 11 button.

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

Originally posted by stayontarget

Originally posted by Brixon

I use a Belkin n52te. I've been using this controller and the previous one so long I can't even play using the keyboard anymore without my hand cramping up. I only use the keyboard to type messages anymore.

Same here.

same here i got the n52 not long after i started playing pc mmos i don't even remember using a KB anymore.i have a reclyner at my desk, N52 on left arm of the chair and trackball mouse on the other. the only time i bother using  the kb is to type, wih isn't often since i always use vent.

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

Wowers use the WASD-Space system. What is movement without jumping :P

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

I use WASD. It does make a little more sense to use ESDF as someone mentioned earlier because of access to extra keys but I'm used to WASD, and besides that I got plenty of options now that I got a Naga. I love that damn mouse! I'm never playing a MMO again without one, hell for that matter just about any game! A little pricey but a sweet gaming mouse for sure.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Originally posted by crunchyblack

It works right, the software that comes with it allows you to make mods for each game and save them. So if you play WoW one day you select that mod or have it automaticaly activate when the game is started and when you play Aion you change or have it auto switch. It's also a pretty tough keyboard, the toughest I've ever had. I type pretty hard and it is still fine a year later.

Also I've found I prefer the red backlight to blue and it makes non gamers piss their pants in fear when they see it ;)

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis