Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A couple of questions

ajs08ajs08 Member Posts: 35

Resolved

Comments

• SpiderpopeSpiderpope Member Posts: 69

Originally posted by ajs08

I was somewhat interested in playing this game for a month or two, but I had some questions about it. If you can answer them, thank you.

i. How's the community - are there many groups, guilds, etcetera?

ii. Is there any RP in the game?

iii. Is there much PvP going on?

iv. How difficult (rather, how long) is the levelling?

v. I've heard a lot of negative feedback. Is there any positive feedback out there?

i. The community outside of the game i.e the official forums is absolutely horrid, one of the worst around. In game there is the usual mix of nice people and buffoons. Although by the time i quit it was tremedously quiet.

ii. There were RP guilds, but the game seems to have been actively designed to make roleplaying as difficult as possible.

iii. There was plenty of PvP for both factions up until they released Fed Vs. Fed. Now Klingons get stuck waiting for ages.

iv. Pathetically easy. Absolutely no part of the game is a challenge at all and you'll be max level well within your free month just by playing 2 or 3 hours every other day.

v. The graphics look pretty good when maxed out. Thats about the only real positive i can think of.

Your friendly neighbourhood Spider-pope.

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381

I was somewhat interested in playing this game for a month or two, but I had some questions about it. If you can answer them, thank you.

v. I've heard a lot of negative feedback. Is there any positive feedback out there?

1. The community on the forums is absolutely atrocious. If you bother logging into the game or cryptic's website, be prepared for tons of gold spam. Bunch of frigid gollum-wannabes, if you dare question their precious,  although I've encountered one or two cool people there. 

2. I am unfamiliar with RP in this game.

3. The best PVP you're going to find is on the Star Trek online forums. It's superb.

4. It's as easy as flipping a lightswitch. Most people reach end game in a week or two with regular playing.

5. The only thing these people at Cryptic have managed to do right is their forums. Best AAA PVP-based game I've ever seen.

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• Maverz290Maverz290 Member Posts: 447

Originally posted by saxifr

1. The community on the forums is absolutely atrocious. If you bother logging into the game or cryptic's website, be prepared for tons of gold spam. Bunch of frigid gollum-wannabes, if you dare question their precious,  although I've encountered one or two cool people there. 

3. The best PVP you're going to find is on the Star Trek online forums. It's superb.

4. It's as easy as flipping a lightswitch. Most people reach end game in a week or two with regular playing.

5. The only thing these people at Cryptic have managed to do right is their forums. Best AAA PVP-based game I've ever seen.

From someone who plays the game still.

1, Community in game, fine. Perfectly helpful with problems and rather amusing topics always being discussed. The community recently lost a player whom many had had the pleasure of knowing so most have come together over that. The forum's are half loyal CDF (Cryptic Defense Force) and Disillusioned gamers who wanted something entirely different. So it's usually a nasty place to be, but thats the forum. Not the game. Nay sayers in the game now are usually just ignored because they don't come about often. At least not anymore.

2, Roleplay is something I can answer in depth. It is there. It's rather fun provided you meet the right people. I'd say if you want the best RP experience, wait until the new interior's and mini games are released that allow content to be played out fully on a ship. Along with player generated content further down the line, Roleplay will be one of the most attractive features of the game. Currently we make do, but we do exist.

3, PvP Is quite exciting. In space anyway. Ground can be abit frustrating as there are characters that specialize in ground combat so essentially are 'Rogue' players, sneak upto in stealth and kill you quickly. However, teamwork > all. Aslong as you get a good fleet/team together, your set. Space is interesting from the start to the final whistle. The combat in space is really engaging. Especially when you get past the visad of simplicity which isn't true. People who think that will get punished in PvP by the ones who take the time to learn their starships inside and out.

4, Leveling is rather quick. At least compared to other MMO's. You won't think so until you reach Commander, as then it really picks up. There are some nice and 'Oh thats cool' moments along the way in the episodes, like the Mirror into time, guardian on the edge of forever and a rather impressive fleet battle against Reman and Romulan ships. It can be a downside to some people though, leveling speed wise. If your casual you have nothing to worry about.

5, I've tried to address both sides of the coin. I am by no means a fanboy as I play several MMO's currently. I was just smart enough not to build up hype and hope, thus not come crashing back down to Earth when I realised it was nothing like the Star trek I would've wanted in my dreams. However, don't let people fool you. It's the best star trek game out there, provided you get in the right fleet.

Ground combat can be tiresome. I only find it fun when playing with other friends and RP'ing out the action. Add's abit more depth to it. That is, until you have to run upto a door and load into the next area, but they have been working on improving that to be fair to them.

Personally, if you haven't tried it yet. You should. Just for the space combat. Go through the content. If you don't like what you see by the end of it, then unsubscribe. You never know, it may please you enough. Or, wait ten months when the 'little things' are added. Like mini games and quite probably the Romulan faction, along with PvP Sector control space zones.

Longing for Skyrim, The Old Republic and Mass Effect 3

• GaldereGaldere Member Posts: 27

Originally posted by Maverz290

Disillusioned gamers who wanted something entirely different.

Oh, you mean those who expected what Cryptic had said they were making, and for the game to actually constitute what an MMO is.

Seeing as you falsely polarize what the forum is, and are posting this long after the post has been closed as resolved, it is clear you are a Cryptic apologist "CDF".

Originally posted by Galdere

Oh, you mean those who expected what Cryptic had said they were making, and for the game to actually constitute what an MMO is.

Seeing as you falsely polarize what the forum is, and are posting this long after the post has been closed as resolved, it is clear you are a Cryptic apologist "CDF".

Yes because I say such nice things about Cryptic.

No I expected it to be crap from past attempts, so I'm CDF 'Oh noes!'

Seriously, CDF? I feel like I need to wash, excessively.

Seriously though, not all gamers who play the damn thing are Cryptic Defense Force!, Some people (myself included) Couldn't give a flying **** about MMO politics and morals.

So I felt I should give a more balanced view for the original poster.

Bub before going off on one, you really should re-read the definition of disillusioned:

dis·il·lu·sion play_w2("D0271100") (dimagesimageimage-limageimagezhimagen)

tr.v. dis·il·lu·sioned, dis·il·lu·sion·ing, dis·il·lu·sions

To free or deprive of illusion.

n.

1. The act of disenchanting.

2. The condition or fact of being disenchanted.

I'd say Maverz use of the word is fairly accurate, more than half the posters on the STO boards have certainly had Cryptics illusion of being a competent games company completely shattered. And i am certainly disenchanted with both Cryptic and the game.

Originally posted by Spiderpope

Bub before going off on one, you really should re-read the definition of disillusioned:

n.

I'd say Maverz use of the word is fairly accurate, more than half the posters on the STO boards have certainly had Cryptics illusion of being a competent games company completely shattered. And i am certainly disenchanted with both Cryptic and the game.

Eh? I was bringing him up on claiming that half of the players just wanted something different. Many just wanted what was claimed. He also makes out that it is an us vs them situation which is nonsense. There are a range of people on the STO forums, even if some post the same stuff over and over. He implies his own distinction because he probably falls into one of those groups.

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Out of boredom I've recently tried the trial and then subscribed.. It's actually pretty amusing. As for the speed at which one can go through it, how does that compare to what one would do with an offline game? I approach it like such, when I'm done, I'm done, and it'll be time for the next game, eh!

In other words, if you finish it while still on the included first month of the game purchase, and don't subscribe after that, then it's just like an offline game heh

n.

Eh? I was bringing him up on claiming that half of the players just wanted something different. Many just wanted what was claimed. He also makes out that it is an us vs them situation which is nonsense. There are a range of people on the STO forums, even if some post the same stuff over and over. He implies his own distinction because he probably falls into one of those groups.

Okay, a few things.

Thats the biggest load of horse crap I've ever read Galdere. It's called being brief. Yes there are a few other posters, but those are the two sides that seem to slug it out in arguements.

I also think you'll find more than half of the players wanted something different also! Even the ones still playing for that matter.

For the last time, I'm not a STO forum go'er. Nor do I refer to the STO forums as the best PvP seen in years. Stop assuming what I'm conveying and actually read the damn post.

This is the problem with these boards. You post something, that quite frankly doesn't fire at any group, is a in the middle kind of post and you get attacked by someone who feels the need to battle it out for the grand prize of nothing.

As for OP's response. Good, thats the idea anyway. Not once has anyone said that this game is a long term MMO anyway, at least not from what I've seen. Enjoy what there is, I just think that a year's time that 'Enjoy what there is' line will have more meaning to it.

n.

Okay, a few things.

Thats the biggest load of horse crap I've ever read Galdere. It's called being brief. Yes there are a few other posters, but those are the two sides that seem to slug it out in arguements.

I also think you'll find more than half of the players wanted something different also! Even the ones still playing for that matter.

For the last time, I'm not a STO forum go'er. Nor do I refer to the STO forums as the best PvP seen in years. Stop assuming what I'm conveying and actually read the damn post.

This is the problem with these boards. You post something, that quite frankly doesn't fire at any group, is a in the middle kind of post and you get attacked by someone who feels the need to battle it out for the grand prize of nothing.

As for OP's response. Good, thats the idea anyway. Not once has anyone said that this game is a long term MMO anyway, at least not from what I've seen. Enjoy what there is, I just think that a year's time that 'Enjoy what there is' line will have more meaning to it.

Crap would be incorrectly stating what the forums are like, when you now say you don't even go there!?! :)

Saying that it is significantly about people who wanted the game to be something entirely different, who signed up for what the game was claiming to be (see the broken promises thread), is a valid point to refute.

I haven't assumed that. You replying to a dead thread, claiming to be middle of the road with a sales post, does make me assume you are what you yourself described and abbreviated.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

v. The graphics look pretty good when maxed out. Thats about the only real positive i can think of.

I'm going to have to disagree. The graphics look pretty dumbed down and crappy in my opinion. They are quite colourful, and Cryptic puts as much stuff on the screen as possible (this is what they did with the Star Wars prequels. You are tricked into thinking the CG is quite good because of all the stuff going on on the screen at once. Your eyes and brain simply can't handel that much sensory input so you're tricked into accepting it as good graphics. This is why there are so many huge nebulae, asteriods, planetary rings, and moons in the game even though space was quite empty in Star Trek itself.) That, combined with the default zoom being quite far out, can trick you into thinking the graphics are good.

The ships are very polygony, and Star Trek games released 4 years ago or so have better ship graphics than this game does (they trick you in the ship customization screen by zooming the camera out very far, you can't zoom in close at all so you won't notice how polygony it looks and so you won't notice all the flaws in the canon ships.) The interiors don't look anything like Star Trek, and they are so comically large that it really detracts from the overall graphics. The interiors also suffer from having quite noticable polygons (just look at any curved surface.)

Go to Deep Space 9 in the game and compare the interiors and exterior with screenshots from the show and the shoddy graphics become very noticable. The exterior of the station is missing all the greebles and subtleties of the real station and the interiors look like an extremely simplified (and hugely overblown) version of the show's sets.

STO's graphics also look better in screenshots than it does when actually playing the game. If you've never played STO before, you might be tricked into thinking the graphics are better than they actually are.

Also, asw a side note: In my experience the in-game community is non-existent. It's not that nobody plays, it's just that nobody ever talks. You never see people asking for more to join their team, no random chatter, nothing. It's very much a solo game, no talking or conversing at all.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

1, Community in game, fine. Perfectly helpful with problems and rather amusing topics always being discussed. The community recently lost a player whom many had had the pleasure of knowing so most have come together over that. The forum's are half loyal CDF (Cryptic Defense Force) and Disillusioned gamers who wanted something entirely different. So it's usually a nasty place to be, but thats the forum. Not the game. Nay sayers in the game now are usually just ignored because they don't come about often. At least not anymore.

Nay-sayer are usually banned and/or have their topics locked as fast as possible. The CMs and devs who post in the forums actively encourage flaming of nay-sayers and praising of the dev team. This excludes the bi-monthly Cryptic PR snaffu where everyone, even the CDF gets pissed off at Cryptic and simply can't hold their tingues anymore (the most recent was the recruitment rewards program.)

2, Roleplay is something I can answer in depth. It is there. It's rather fun provided you meet the right people. I'd say if you want the best RP experience, wait until the new interior's and mini games are released that allow content to be played out fully on a ship. Along with player generated content further down the line, Roleplay will be one of the most attractive features of the game. Currently we make do, but we do exist.

Hahahahaha! Apart from a few people RPing in Quark's on DS9, role-playing is non-existent. It will be for the foreseeable future.

3, PvP Is quite exciting. In space anyway. Ground can be abit frustrating as there are characters that specialize in ground combat so essentially are 'Rogue' players, sneak upto in stealth and kill you quickly. However, teamwork > all. Aslong as you get a good fleet/team together, your set. Space is interesting from the start to the final whistle. The combat in space is really engaging. Especially when you get past the visad of simplicity which isn't true. People who think that will get punished in PvP by the ones who take the time to learn their starships inside and out.

PvP is horrible. All myou do is spawn, zerg rush, die, spawn zerg rush, etc.

4, Leveling is rather quick. At least compared to other MMO's. You won't think so until you reach Commander, as then it really picks up. There are some nice and 'Oh thats cool' moments along the way in the episodes, like the Mirror into time, guardian on the edge of forever and a rather impressive fleet battle against Reman and Romulan ships. It can be a downside to some people though, leveling speed wise. If your casual you have nothing to worry about.

5, I've tried to address both sides of the coin. I am by no means a fanboy as I play several MMO's currently. I was just smart enough not to build up hype and hope, thus not come crashing back down to Earth when I realised it was nothing like the Star trek I would've wanted in my dreams. However, don't let people fool you. It's the best star trek game out there, provided you get in the right fleet.

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

Ground combat can be tiresome. I only find it fun when playing with other friends and RP'ing out the action. Add's abit more depth to it. That is, until you have to run upto a door and load into the next area, but they have been working on improving that to be fair to them.

Personally, if you haven't tried it yet. You should. Just for the space combat. Go through the content. If you don't like what you see by the end of it, then unsubscribe. You never know, it may please you enough. Or, wait ten months when the 'little things' are added. Like mini games and quite probably the Romulan faction, along with PvP Sector control space zones.

n.

Okay, a few things.

Crap would be incorrectly stating what the forums are like, when you now say you don't even go there!?! :)

Saying that it is significantly about people who wanted the game to be something entirely different, who signed up for what the game was claiming to be (see the broken promises thread), is a valid point to refute.

I haven't assumed that. You replying to a dead thread, claiming to be middle of the road with a sales post, does make me assume you are what you yourself described and abbreviated.

Oh really? So you can tell me that there isn't really two groups who hammer it out all the time over stuff that cryptic do in game and out? Oh and not once did I say I'd never been on the forums. Anyone who looks at them will see the crap that goes on there.

TBH they should've made a sub forum for complaints, instead of banning people who quite frankly paid money.

I replied to a thread that quite frankly had no damn answers in it. Nothing that showed both sides of the game. If you take offence to that then Cryptic must've really hurt you, and for that I'm sorry, but grab a ticket, take a seat, and wait for something to complain about. No doubt their PR team will give everyone a reason to grab the pitchforks again.

Originally posted by Xondar123

Nay-sayer are usually banned and/or have their topics locked as fast as possible. The CMs and devs who post in the forums actively encourage flaming of nay-sayers and praising of the dev team. This excludes the bi-monthly Cryptic PR snaffu where everyone, even the CDF gets pissed off at Cryptic and simply can't hold their tingues anymore (the most recent was the recruitment rewards program.)

Agreed. It's common knowledge and if you don't go to the forums, you hear about it in game. That is not in dispute. Infact I don't think i covered the bannings, so cheers for that. Slipped my mind.

Hahahahaha! Apart from a few people RPing in Quark's on DS9, role-playing is non-existent. It will be for the foreseeable future.

Well thats rather amusing when I'm part of a RP fleet?? We have nine players on most nights which is enough to be honest. There is also a rather ****ing large fleet called the league of extroadinary captains who have a hell ova lot more. Don't ask me how, but RP'rs come together in any situation, so if you consider that it is just one server, then it makes sense that RP'rs group up.

Oh and if you need a bar to RP in Star Trek then you should really watch more shows. Roleplay nightly, usually involves missions and social activities. That is, until Cryptic stop making fluff and give us some more areas to go.

Get your facts straight next time though. I wouldn't play the game if there was no RP. Not everything is like SWG and requires a bar to commence Roleplay.

PvP is horrible. All myou do is spawn, zerg rush, die, spawn zerg rush, etc.

If your poor at it, in an uncoordinated team. I'll admit, if your not in a fully specced out cruiser and your on your own in the team with no knowledge of the other players in your team, then yes, that will happen, again but I clearly stated ASLONG AS YOU GET A GOOD FLEET/TEAM TOGETHER. I feel sorry for you if you havent't seen the effect of co-ordinated team work in STO. It's probably the best part.

Wow, guess you agreed.

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

Well if you'd paid attention to what I wrote, then you'd realize I'm not. Not of Cryptic anyway, just Star Trek. Then again you should know about that with a display picture like you have. Howeverlike it or not, this post was honest from my experience. You should know, online 'Experiences may vary'. This is exactly what it means. You've had a bad time, I've had an alright time. (For now..)

I'll say it again though. I didn't trust Cryptic. At all. I hated CoH, and Champions. There are similarities but there are enough differences, even just the skin that keep it fresh for me. If you can't accept another set of views than your own then you have no place on a forum. That goes to both of you.

There. Don't think theres much more to explain or say, because quite frankly if you can't understand after that, then you are too engulfed in hate for Cryptic that you can't see the neutral point of view.

I'm going to have to disagree./snip

Go to Deep Space 9 in the game and compare the interiors and exterior with screenshots from the show and the shoddy graphics become very noticable. The exterior of the station is missing all the greebles and subtleties of the real station and the interiors look like an extremely simplified (and hugely overblown) version of the show's sets.

STO's graphics also look better in screenshots than it does when actually playing the game. If you've never played STO before, you might be tricked into thinking the graphics are better than they actually are.

The graphics always looked fine to me, didn't notice any extreme polygoning at all to be honest. But you are correct that i should have said the graphics IN SPACE look pretty good. Deep Space 9's interior, if it were at the correct scale would look mediocre at best. But given that Cryptic likes everything to look like it's been imported from 'Land of the Giants' every single flaw is magnified to the extent where i couldn't even stand visiting DS9 anymore by the time i quit.

Bridges in turn would look pretty good, if they weren't 7 or 8 times larger than they should be. And their excuse of needing the space for "camera movement" just shows that they don't even know how to get the best out of their own engine.

I'm going to have to disagree./snip

The graphics always looked fine to me, didn't notice any extreme polygoning at all to be honest. But you are correct that i should have said the graphics IN SPACE look pretty good. Deep Space 9's interior, if it were at the correct scale would look mediocre at best. But given that Cryptic likes everything to look like it's been imported from 'Land of the Giants' every single flaw is magnified to the extent where i couldn't even stand visiting DS9 anymore by the time i quit.

Bridges in turn would look pretty good, if they weren't 7 or 8 times larger than they should be. And their excuse of needing the space for "camera movement" just shows that they don't even know how to get the best out of their own engine.

< Hates oversized interior's and environments.

n.

Okay, a few things.

Oh really? So you can tell me that there isn't really two groups who hammer it out all the time over stuff that cryptic do in game and out? Oh and not once did I say I'd never been on the forums. Anyone who looks at them will see the crap that goes on there.

TBH they should've made a sub forum for complaints, instead of banning people who quite frankly paid money.

I replied to a thread that quite frankly had no damn answers in it. Nothing that showed both sides of the game. If you take offence to that then Cryptic must've really hurt you, and for that I'm sorry, but grab a ticket, take a seat, and wait for something to complain about. No doubt their PR team will give everyone a reason to grab the pitchforks again.

Quite frankly, I already was able to tell you what you are questioning me back about, yet you ignore responding about dismissing people who complain as just "wanting something entirely different".

Resolved.

n.

Okay, a few things.

Quite frankly, I already was able to tell you what you are questioning me back about, yet you ignore responding about dismissing people who complain as just "wanting something entirely different".

Resolved.

If you think that I was 'dismissing' people then I'm sorry to have directed you away from the truth.

I have no ill thought to those who didn't like the end product, not once did I say that, but if it was portrayed as such, it was a misunderstanding.