Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Man Final Fantasy 13 is so crap.

MiffyMiffy Member Posts: 244

Just got the game yesterday and so far what I've played, I might aswel not have. I basically push forward the whole time and in battles there is one button you need to press and that is it so far. Frigging Final Fantasy 7 had more depth than this at the start, Final Fantasy 8 had me running round a giant complex for abit of freedom. So far all I've come across is what might aswel be quick time events in a poorly voice acted cut scene, I wish they just went back to text only. 

: What aload of shite!

Comments

• SonikFlashSonikFlash Member UncommonPosts: 561

yea it was basically the worst final fantasy to date.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by SonikFlash

yea it was basically the worst final fantasy to date.

Ahem...

Ask anyone and they will tell you that 20 hours into FF13 and the game starts to get good. I haven't even played it, but there is enough feedback for that point to take it serious. Either truck on, or give up and let those guys make fun of you.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Actually I loved the combat system of x-2 and would love if they did enhanced it and made it in another FF game of their's.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

x-2 was the suck.

13 is good once you get over the on rails play.

The story is nice.

I will say that i've spent almost no time with the game since clearing it. With other FF titles i will usually beat the game a couple more times.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

After 20 hours into Final Fantasy X-II it also starts to get good.  Thats because you finished the game 4 hours prior and doing something else.

• sn0wblind00sn0wblind00 Member UncommonPosts: 388

having played all of them years ago, I stopped playing the series after 10.  To me, 8 was mediocre, 9 was very mediocre and 10 was awful.  Didn't really want to waste anymore time on the series.  From what i've read, things haven't improved. 

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I have no idea how you thought 10 was worse than 9, and there are people out there arguing over whether 7 or 8 was the best one ever. 10 was the highlight of the series as it led into mediocrity, I remember that using the in-game models for the majority of cutscenes was an industry-changing move at the time, plus the story's outcome is still talked about to date.

Maybe if you played FFX last year I could see your point, much like people saying Oblivion sucked after being years late to the party.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Any game that you have to play almost an entire day before it gets 'good', did something severely wrong...

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by Deivos

Any game that you have to play almost an entire day before it gets 'good', did something severely wrong...

Ya its so wrong that theres more to this game before it gets good then there is to most games in total.

Yup thats so horrible.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

I don't know why people complain about it, just take it back if you don't like it. I enjoyed the game personally and continue to enjoy it even after I finished it once.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Originally posted by Cleffy

After 20 hours into Final Fantasy X-II it also starts to get good.  Thats because you finished the game 4 hours prior and doing something else.

YES. :D

It's like when some people say "oh, FF13 gets good after 15-20 hours"... who in their sane mind would invest 20 hours into something if he hates what he/s seen thus far? I mean, seriously. And yes, people as paying customers have every right to complain if they don't like the game.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • jokerthag2jokerthag2 Member Posts: 37

square was trying to tell you a story and thats what they did even tho i think 13 should have open up more a few chpaters earlyer but its still a good game. but i wouldnt want square to do it this way again at the same time

• 9GreenMen9GreenMen Member Posts: 62

I'm a 7 nostalgic, in my opinion one of the greatest games ever, never have I experienced a greater and more involving story, and I quite liked the materia system. There was so much freedom in 7 with the world map and many side quests to explore (well they weren't labelled quests, which made them cooler, you just explored them) like chocobo breeding and racing and killing ruby and emerald weapon, and getting knights of the round and the alexander summon in the snow place. Damn this thread it's bringing back all the memories!!

I still enjoyed 8 and 9 but not as much, was particularly against the art-style of 9 (monkey boys aren't for me). 10 I thought was fun, I didn't play 12 because of too much uni work, but got 13 and must say I was gravely disappointed. Controlling 1 characters actions in battle! What the hell?! And half the time it's just auto-attack! I will let it play out more but the others dragged me in for one reason or another right from the start, Shinra ftw!

O yes, and watching the opening cutscene of 10-2 just plain embarrassed me, I don't remember playing it much.

Currently playing: No MMOs
    Played properly: WoW
    Tried: AoC, WAR, Aion, Darkfall
    Looking forward to: FFXIV, Earthrise, The Secret World, Guild Wars 2 (very much), Project Copernicus (and Mercury for that matter), Everquest and Planetside Next (finally a meaningful mmofps again)
    Wants to play in 2 years time if it survives from the subscriptions of fanatics and turns into the game with all features stated on the website: Mortal Online

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

I don't think FF 13 sucks. What you do is comparing it to some top class titles like FF 7 and other games of the series which might have been just too good especially when they first appeared.

But I still would play FF 13 over many other games this year has to offer.

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

Here's the problem you get a game like ff12 that has barely any flaws. It's open you can do what you want and follow the story only when you feel like it, there is plenty of other things you can do. The battle system was awesome for the first conversion from a traditional ff combat system. Not to mention you could have a decent arsenal to choose from.

Then you get ff13, a long maze to a piece of cheese until you can even openly explore. Ya the battle system is cool but personally it wore thin after a while. Who the hell likes to switch 50 times in a boss battle, it's tedious and seems more like a button smasher than anything that could be related to an RPG. The story.... probably the worse in the final fantasy series with the argument of X-2. You can't have a open world title and then take it away on the next one it just doesn't work. They wanted to evolve ff to a more modern scheme but it's like they stopped halfway on this one. It's the first ff I never finished and doubt I'll even continue it some day.

Being a very long time ff fan it's quite sad to something of this caliber.

[[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • KuchizakiKuchizaki Member Posts: 6

I liked Final Fantasy X-2, yeah it was a bit short but the combat / class system was fun. Catnip combo boo-yaa!

• MiffyMiffy Member Posts: 244

My fave is 9 then 7 then 8 and I've played the Final Fantasy games before but I just didn't like them cause of their graphics really. Why I love these 3 the most is because they had the prerendered backgrounds which were fantastic and just the best worlds to explore. The previous games just didn't have the cinematic feel to me and I hate the old top down 2D RPGs because their worlds are just boring. The newer games I don't like because of the poor voice acting, It ruined 10 so I couldn't get past that and 12 had a horrible combat system and uninteresting setting. Everyone knows 11 was shit cause it is an MMO and 13 is far too linear. It looked like 7 so I had high hopes and while I really love the action of the combat, you can't control your characters and you just hit one button. 

9 had the best opening of all the Final Fantasy games, it was just amazing. 7 had all the kool side quests and I loved the arcade and the racing and snow boarding and the roller coaster etc etc. 

I really love them prerendered backgrounds though because I can go back to older FF games or even FFX and they look so dated. However I go back to the three PS games and they still look great and just have that look that is unmatched by other FF games.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by Panther2103

I don't know why people complain about it, just take it back if you don't like it. I enjoyed the game personally and continue to enjoy it even after I finished it once.

I did, sold it on Craigslist the next day after I bought it. Maybe the fact that the guy who created Final Fantasy, Hironobu Sakaguchi, left Square_Enix and made his own company, releasing games like Lost Odyssey ( now there was an RPG worth playing that would have worn a FF title well ) has a little bit to do with it.

In any case, I at least managed to beat FFXII, which in my opinion was the worst of them before XIII. I couldn't stick with FFXIII past 10 hours. It will be a long time, if ever, that I again blindly buy a FF title solely because it's a FF title.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

FF8 killed the franchise for me. Crappy characters, crappy dialogue, crappy gameplay, crappy story... the whole game was just a festering pile of shit. Unfortunately, this trend has continued ever since.

I don't know how Squeenix lost it, but they sure as hell did. They went from one of my most respected dev houses to one which I hold in absolute contempt. It's like they don't even try any more, they just crank out some garbage, slap an FF logo on it, and watch the fanboys devour it.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by Rednecksith

FF8 killed the franchise for me. Crappy characters, crappy dialogue, crappy gameplay, crappy story... the whole game was just a festering pile of shit. Unfortunately, this trend has continued ever since.

I don't know how Squeenix lost it, but they sure as hell did. They went from one of my most respected dev houses to one which I hold in absolute contempt. It's like they don't even try any more, they just crank out some garbage, slap an FF logo on it, and watch the fanboys devour it.

I think people need to learn what shit is before they open there mouths, as its fairly obvious most people have never played an actual bad game.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• benwinsbenwins Member UncommonPosts: 21

Yeah sadly the truth is the game gets better after 20 hours, which doesn't really help its credibility but i trudged along, being pretty disappointed of the game but once you hit chapter 11 (I think this is the chapter where it gets "open world") it picks up. It made me enjoy the game so much from then on to attempt to platinum the game. I got all 5 stars on every mission but i have basically given up on the treasure hunter trophy because farming ingots got way to boring for me.

I'm surprised so many hated the story, it was unique enough for me to enjoy, however i HATED the fact that you had to read through all the damn journal entry things to even understand what the hell is going on. 

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

FF10 was my favorite and last FF game i played. FF8 was good until i got towards the end and just got tired of it. After so many, it just got tiring as they all kinda seemed the same but not the same. Dunno how to explain it better, just got tired of the franchise, i think they milked it enough. Still waiting on a legend of dragoon 2 game though...

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

What I don't get (haven't played ff13 don't have ps3/xbox) is that ALL final fantasies when you just start are all cutscenes and whatever to explain you the story and what is happening.

Yes FF13 probably made it longer then the rest but ALL FF start like that.

1 thing from seeing friends playing is that the combat takes too much imo but I haven't played it myself so opinion could change.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Originally posted by Panther2103

I did, sold it on Craigslist the next day after I bought it. Maybe the fact that the guy who created Final Fantasy, Hironobu Sakaguchi, left Square_Enix and made his own company, releasing games like Lost Odyssey ( now there was an RPG worth playing that would have worn a FF title well ) has a little bit to do with it.

In any case, I at least managed to beat FFXII, which in my opinion was the worst of them before XIII. I couldn't stick with FFXIII past 10 hours. It will be a long time, if ever, that I again blindly buy a FF title solely because it's a FF title.

I played the very first FF, then didn't play another until FF7. Loved that game, and replayed it a few times.

Played the following games up to and including FF12 (with the exception of FFX-2). Now that one only appealed to me for the gambit system which was excellent if you have an interest in AI (which I do). If it had had a new game+ option, then I would have replayed it a few times, but no way was I going to start again with no gambits to use.

I have no interest at all in FF13. Frankly, since I got into MMORPGs, solo games bore me.

I will likely try FFXIV - assuming I don't have to jump through the ridiculous hoops that FFXI required to maintain a subscription.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

FFXII was complete dog shit.

After about ten hours I was missing the old turn based style of combat from previous games.

It felt like a rpg with mmorpg knock off combat.

FFXII was my Mario Brothers 2(straying completely from a tried and true design).

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP