Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does everyone still use WSAD?

hogscraperhogscraper Member Posts: 322

Had some friends over and they all freaked out over me using Z-RFDG-SPACE instead of CTRL-WSAD-SPACE. I originally did it as I'm 6'6" 280 and have pretty big hands so not feeling scrunched up made gaming more comfortable. Realizing I have more keys around my main movement keys for quick hot key hits sold me on not using the default ever again. Just curious if anyone else has moved on from the default?

Comments

• CatamountCatamount Member Posts: 773

Honestly, WSAD works fine, and is easy to locate on the keyboard. If I did want to change it, however, ESDF would make the most sense, as home row positions for one's hands already put one's fingers in that position (for those of us who are touch-typers)

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

It really all depends on ones hand size and which hand they use, but the majority still use WSAD and space.

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544

WSAD here, doubt ill ever change it. but its just a case of "getting used too" i can see how RDFG could work fine, atleast ifor people with long fingers, but it takes some time getting used too. have to change up everything so meh, ill stick with WSAD,

Currently Playing Path of Exile

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Everytime I type words containing those damned letters.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Originally posted by hogscraper
    Had some friends over and they all freaked out over me using Z-RFDG-SPACE instead of CTRL-WSAD-SPACE. I originally did it as I'm 6'6" 280 and have pretty big hands so not feeling scrunched up made gaming more comfortable. Realizing I have more keys around my main movement keys for quick hot key hits sold me on not using the default ever again. Just curious if anyone else has moved on from the default?

I'm with you. Got big paws. Can easily hit alt and ctrl with the pinky. They're just being short sighted.

Altough I've more recently been using the Logitech g13. Can control my 'wasd' or 'rdfg' with the joystick on the thumb.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

I once played using WASD keys so much that the sweat melted small wholes in my keyboard.

Since then I switch around my buttons and even turn on point to click when im just soloing.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• DerrialDerrial Member Posts: 250

What's WSAD? I still use WASD. I have done ESDF before for games where I needed more keys in reach, but I haven't needed to do that in a long time (not since Thief 2, I think). These days the majority of games are designed for the limited buttons of an X-Box or PS3 controller, so there isn't a need for more buttons.

• ReeperReeper Member UncommonPosts: 121

Always used the Arrow keys, but now i use the MERC keyboard, ahhh relaxation.

• MazinMazin Member Posts: 640

Originally posted by CayneJobb

What's WSAD? I still use WASD. I have done ESDF before for games where I needed more keys in reach, but I haven't needed to do that in a long time (not since Thief 2, I think). These days the majority of games are designed for the limited buttons of an X-Box or PS3 controller, so there isn't a need for more buttons.

I was thinking the same thing lol, and look at all the folks he got to follow hes lead into wsad.   It's not a big deal really, just seeing person after person repeat wsad it was kinda funny.

• BrixonBrixon Member UncommonPosts: 259

I use a Belkin n52te. I've been using this controller and the previous one so long I can't even play using the keyboard anymore without my hand cramping up. I only use the keyboard to type messages anymore.

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481

As I'm primarily a multiplayer person, WASD has my hand on the home row, so I don't have to move anything to begin typing. Other than that, it's what I'm used to, and I'm a bit stubborn when it comes to change.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

WASD? I haven't used them in long time thanks to my Merc Stealth Keyboard and I don't think I could go back now either.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

yeah, I still use WASD. Nice and comfy for me.

Although, my actual WASD keys long ago lost their lettering....along with shift and ctrl on that side.

I've considered some of the cool gaming keyboards.....but I have my Naga mouse, and it has enough programmable buttons for me.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by Brixon

I use a Belkin n52te. I've been using this controller and the previous one so long I can't even play using the keyboard anymore without my hand cramping up. I only use the keyboard to type messages anymore.

Same here.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by Agricola1

WASD? I haven't used them in long time thanks to my Merc Stealth Keyboard and I don't think I could go back now either.

I just bought one for my son a few days ago,  He likes the hell out of it.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• viddsterviddster Member UncommonPosts: 220

Belkin n52 here too, good for most hand sizes as it is adjustable.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

I use ESDF for everything now, keeps your fingers on the home row for typing in mmo's and opens up more keys.. not as many as RDFG but I'd never though of using RDFG before and the home row advantage is nice for typing.

Did take me a while to switch off of WASD though, using anything else seemed silly but now I'm glad to have switched.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Also use a Belkin N52.

• VoltlivesVoltlives Member Posts: 280

Used WASD for years now and I really don't see myself switching anytime soon.  Yeah I could shift if over a character to free up usage of the number keys a bit but the level of destruction I would cause for the next few weeks with misclicks and type errors would be staggering.

END OF LINE_

~V

• FraxtureFraxture Member UncommonPosts: 121

Using the Logitech G13. Have been using left handed controllers for years, pretty much since they started selling them.

I couldn't get use to WASD to save my life now. I can only move my toons by thumb.

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

I used a combination of mouse and WASD movement. I use the mouse for games that have the option to hold down the left and right mouse buttons to move forward, and it makes for much easier movement. I would use S if I needed to back up still, adn every now and then I find myself using the WASD while hold down the right mouse button, so I am basically moving forward and stuff with the W key, and the right click lets me turn my guy around. 

But I rarely use the WASD exclusively unless the controls suck otherwise.

• hogscraperhogscraper Member Posts: 322

You know, at first, I was worried that I would mis type or have other issues but it seemed like second nature after a day. For all the people above that use the keyboards with the add on pads, is it that big of a pain to move over to type? That belkin pad looks pretty sweet tho.

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

They light up on my keyboard so I have to use them now! lol

But I would find it harder to hit the numbers 1,2 if over that much more.

And having to change away from defaults in everything!!!! Nightmare....

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Yes it is a hastle to type with an N52te unless you are really tall.  Luckily I am tall and have desk real-estate.  Also I typically type with 2 hands, so I am accustomed to take my hands off the mouse before I type.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Originally posted by stayontarget

Originally posted by Agricola1

I just bought one for my son a few days ago,  He likes the hell out of it.

Meh, can't see that ever working on my gaming laptop. image

I'm sticking with WASD.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon