Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No press is bad press ;)

Azen77Azen77 Member UncommonPosts: 125

Well all the nerdrage over beta experiences/etc. with this game has attracted me to come and check it out for myself. The concepts seem amazing, and I would love to play a game that could deliver something even close to what is proposed. Since I did not however play the beta, I was curious to find out from anyone who beta tested Anarchy Online, how the experience compared.

AO had one of the most amazingly aweful start ups from crashing, HD grinding mem leaks, sync, no zoning, etc. and I STILL kept logging in after every computer restart, just because I liked so much, the things I COULD do.

Not looking for another thread on whether you think it sucked or not. Just hoping that someone who has played both is out there to give their opinion so I can guage the merits of all the subjectivity out there.

UO,AC1&2,EQ1&2,DAOC,SB,SWG,FFXI, Horizons,EvE,E&B,AO,WoW,VG, Lineage,GW,TR,LotR,AoC,CoH,DDO a myriad of FtP...and still looking...

Comments

• rlmccoy1987rlmccoy1987 Member Posts: 1,722

I remember the days of first playing MO, saying how amazing it was, the graphics looked incredible...  Then a few days later I was wondering "doesn't this look like a pre-alpha" ?  I soon got over the hype and found out how empty and bland the game was.

If you have not played the beta yet, I would recommend waiting.  The unprofessionalism from SV from the past ~9 months is probably the worst I have ever seen from an indie company.  Try to stay clear for a few months, or even completely get it out of your mind before it collapses and the company goes bankrupt due to not knowing what they are doing.

• Azen77Azen77 Member UncommonPosts: 125

lol, alrighty thanks for the heads up. Normally it takes a good month or two for a MMO to turn me off that bad, so 2 days gives a pretty good idea how that 1800 feeling would go.

UO,AC1&2,EQ1&2,DAOC,SB,SWG,FFXI, Horizons,EvE,E&B,AO,WoW,VG, Lineage,GW,TR,LotR,AoC,CoH,DDO a myriad of FtP...and still looking...

• osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087

Originally posted by rlmccoy1987

I remember the days of first playing MO, saying how amazing it was, the graphics looked incredible...  Then a few days later I was wondering "doesn't this look like a pre-alpha" ?  I soon got over the hype and found out how empty and bland the game was.

If you have not played the beta yet, I would recommend waiting.  The unprofessionalism from SV from the past ~9 months is probably the worst I have ever seen from an indie company.  Try to stay clear for a few months, or even completely get it out of your mind before it collapses and the company goes bankrupt due to not knowing what they are doing.

If it took you "a few days" to make that assessment, how bad could it really have been?

Which few days was that? You started criticizing Mortal on this forum July 13th 2009 (i.e. before beta started) and specifically said that "everything is still in alpha" on July 14th.

"Pre-alpha" would look like you were sitting at a table with Henrik and Mats, playing D&D, when someone says "This would make a cool MMO"

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Originally posted by osmunda

If it took you "a few days" to make that assessment, how bad could it really have been?

Which few days was that? You started criticizing Mortal on this forum July 13th 2009 (i.e. before beta started) and specifically said that "everything is still in alpha" on July 14th.

"Pre-alpha" would look like you were sitting at a table with Henrik and Mats, playing D&D, when someone says "This would make a cool MMO"

Everyones Threashold of Pain is Diffrent. I Loved playing Vanguard at launch. And was able to put up with some REALLY game breaking Bugs, To do it.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• ThorpeyroxThorpeyrox Member Posts: 125

I wouldn't come to these forums to get any level of accuracy on the game, head over to the Mortal Online forums and remember in the past two weeks the features have be disabled so don't let people compare it in the disabled state.

• SomeGuy123SomeGuy123 Member Posts: 3

I played for months before realizing that MO is going nowhere. Do what Thorp says and you will only find a bunch of fanboys raving about how it will be better tomorrow. Well I seen enough tomorrows with them to know that day will never come. I would stay clear of this game.

• jokerthag2jokerthag2 Member Posts: 37

Originally posted by Thorpeyrox

I wouldn't come to these forums to get any level of accuracy on the game, head over to the Mortal Online forums and remember in the past two weeks the features have be disabled so don't let people compare it in the disabled state.

yea patch is tommorrow. sone said hes having trouble with the (something to do with the patcher ) and he has to contact support in canada but there on vacation today lmao. well heres to tommorrow

I did decide to take Thorp's advice and spent alot of time lurking their forums. Like all forums theres the big warring factions on who's opinion is better, but I tried to get past that.

After reviewing a ton of video's, the main site, and alot of posts my opinion of the game went up and down like a rollercoaster between the hyped features and the current realities.

Close to the end of my search it was seeming as if I would finally write this MMO off as being in the same vein as what I imagine DFO to be; a glorified gankfest within a fantasy battlemap. But something redeeming still seemed to be there.

I think it might be the fact I've been zombiefied by recent MMO's to the point that I forgot what 'sandbox' meant. It's not as much what is given in terms of content, etc. but instead what you can do with it in terms of creativity.

It was the RP forums that got me thinking about the true spirit of the game and not the general forums where MMO's so frequently get picked apart to nothigness. That said, I'm still not sold either way, so will keep feeling it out.

• HanoverZHanoverZ Member Posts: 1,239

Originally posted by jokerthag2

yea patch is tommorrow. sone said hes having trouble with the (something to do with the patcher ) and he has to contact support in canada but there on vacation today lmao. well heres to tommorrow

Support in Canada? You mean the random fan that built the first patcher as charity?   Geeee hope he doesnt give up on MO....image

Less than 2 weeks from release and they dont even have a working patcher, plus the game is worse than it was 4 weeks ago. FAIL

I win!!! LOL@U

• AllSeeingGuyAllSeeingGuy Member Posts: 143

Originally posted by HanoverZ

Support in Canada? You mean the random fan that built the first patcher as charity?   Geeee hope he doesnt give up on MO....image

Less than 2 weeks from release and they dont even have a working patcher, plus the game is worse than it was 4 weeks ago. FAIL

That seems to be the "par" to patchers considering Xsyons patcher was written by a fan as well.

Originally posted by AllSeeingGuy

That seems to be the "par" to patchers considering Xsyons patcher was written by a fan as well.

On "par" with inept developers.... 

I win!!! LOL@U

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988

Originally posted by AllSeeingGuy

On "par" with inept developers.... 

Yeah.. I don't know what this facination is with comparing Mortal to Xsyon.  Like I said.. when you accept the lowering of the bar.. the next guy down the line is going to lower it even further.    We need to draw a line in the sand and tell ALL developers to stop shoveling crapware to us.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by Ekibiogami

Everyones Threashold of Pain is Diffrent. I Loved playing Vanguard at launch. And was able to put up with some REALLY game breaking Bugs, To do it.

Same here. But after a few months, it was just too much. I had the same experience with Horizons(I still shudder about the first few months). AO on the other hand wasn't even playable for the first few weeks. It had to be one of the WORST launches of a major MMO in history.  I was amazed that Funcom was able to come back from that,  and make the game into what it turned out to be.  I'd love to try MO(the graphics look amazing). But I've LONG since had my fill of free for all full loot gank fests.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by Wraithone

Originally posted by Ekibiogami

Same here

Key difference with MO is, once you get past the horrible bugs and instability, there is hardly any gameplay or content there, because its all off or doesn't work or not made yet. 

Vanguard if you were stable, you could have a blast. 

Originally posted by Garvon3

Key difference with MO is, once you get past the horrible bugs and instability, there is hardly any gameplay or content there, because its all off or doesn't work or not made yet. 

Been saying the same thing regarding the "desync issue".  Even if they did fix it....MO is still MO.  I dont know anyone that has written it off based on technical issues, rather its just a bad game. 

I win!!! LOL@U

bad game compared to what? WoW rep gringing? DF community? AO launch? I have pregrammed enough to know the thrill of getting ANYTHING to work, and so am not that bothered by stuff thet can be fixed as far as bugs go. It's whether the community id complete crap, and the game WILL be utter crap that makes my decision.

Like a prev poster saif its your level of tolerance. I played AO THROUGH all the crap because I wanted to play it and not another....does MO have that kind of feel?

• pojungpojung Member Posts: 810

What's the adege? 'Publicity is good, and bad publicity is still publicity'?

That is exactly right, and we're not saying NO to save WoW, because it is already a lost cause. We are saying NO to dissuade the next group of greedy suits who decide to emulate Blizzard and Cryptic, etc.
    We can prevent some of the future games from spewing this crap, but the sooner we start saying no, the better the results will be.
    So - Stand up, pull up your pants, and walk away.
    - MMO_Doubter

Originally posted by pojung

What's the adege? 'Publicity is good, and bad publicity is still publicity'?

yah hehe kinda like that...MO still draws a crowd...even more with all the haters.

Originally posted by Azen77

bad game compared to what? WoW rep gringing? DF community? AO launch?

Bad as in everthing... Its a sandbox, but filled with dog excrement and mud.  Every mechaninc in game is either broken, non existent or just poorly implemented.  This was before they disabled most of the features. Crafting seems to be the only thing not entirely screwed up, but  with all the dupes its rather pointless.  Then theres the host of performance issues and exploits.  MO problems go much deeper than simply fixing bugs.  Community is on par with DFO, but that a plus in my book. 

I win!!! LOL@U