Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who played WoW in vanilla that still plays?

Comments

• XarruXarru Member Posts: 37

Playing since beta, with occasional 2-3 months breaks if i get bored. I also play EvE sometimes to get fantasy overdose treatment ;)

I try to play casually so i don't get burned to fast, i do raid (but nothing hardcore) pvp (arena/bg/world) again nothing serious, and do other content like quests and collecting pets/mounts.

Actually i like direction they took the game with WotLK (all zones heavily connected with story/quests, phasing, working against main villain from the moment you enter Northerend, and ability to see all content even if you play very casually)

I'm not happy about everything (wasted potential of Wintergrasp, or removing ability to dismount other players, are just two random examples from the top of my head) but still general direction is good.

• RhowinRhowin Member Posts: 36
    I still log on from time to time, but for me those things I really enjoyed in the first days are almost gone - the reason for playing is mainly doing a few BG's with friends from time to time or the occasional raid.
    I see the reasons why WoW evolves the way it does and I'm not saying it's bad (doesn't appeal to me as simple as that) - but I really liked the days when 5-man instances such as scholomance or stratholme were really challanging + huge and the first explorations of the big raid instances. Nowdays we know all bosses and their tactics + loot even before things are on the live servers incl. videos and I don't get the same thrill from a boss in hardmode instead of a boss that was really hard to begin with - the whole exploration feeling seems missing. Even though I didn't really enjoy the farming of flasks, pots etc. needed to continue raiding it was even more satisfying to clear BWL after months of trial&error. Oh and I loved the good old alterac bg's - they took many hours, it was a really fierce fight and people enjoyed that.
    Drifting off a bit - the reason I play are mainly the people and it's not easy to find a different MMO that appeals to everyone - WoW offers something for almost everyone.
  • HarkkumHarkkum Member Posts: 180

Been playing since European closed beta and after some breaks and pauses I am enjoying the game again. The intensive raid days are in the past but even the leveling game in WoW is so much better than anything any other MMOG currently provides that I see no reason to change for the sake of changing alone. At one point I was looking for a replacement rather activly and went through virtually all the major releases and a number of sandbox titles but none of those could provide the sense of progression that WoW does.

I also seem to be an oddity in not having fond memories of vanilla raids; they amounted for nothing but frustration when after 30 weeks of Ragnaros killing I was still missing Bloodfang Pants and Perdition's Blade. And AQ40 with runs on pointless dungeons in order to farm enough nature resistance gear must've been the pinnacle of fun I don't recall with fuzzy fondness. All-in-all, WoW is a much better game at the moment than it was back when UBRS runs were end-game. Also, the early Burning Crusade with entry-level raids requiring more coordination than most of the subsequent raid tiers was not really such an illustrious scenario many seem to think.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I've been playing since Vanilla.

Still playing wow, because a better game has not come along yet.  The market is just filled with to much inferior crap or games that are trying to be wow. 

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Played since UK launch along with a couple of Corporation members from EvE originally. Shifted servers a couple of years ago and stayed there ever since with a great group of people from around Europe (Norway and UK mainly).

Stay for the social aspects of the game more than anything else, but also because i enjoy the game as a whole from levelling to end game. Never been one of the rose tinted 'vanilla rules' crowd, have enjoyed watching the game evolve to where we are today and looking forward to the further evolution in Cataclysm.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• VoltlivesVoltlives Member Posts: 280

Played an ally human until BC, friends came over and we tried out horde.  Since then I have seen the light and been Horde.  It's been and off and on love afair, lately it's been more off.  Vanilla wow memories are a lot like pulling a ring out of the disposal.  You clean it off, polish it up, and pass it off for more than it is worth.  The game was good back then, but nothing more than most games launch infatuations. 

END OF LINE_

~V

• knotasknotas Member Posts: 5

im playing since launch with some small breaks

• pussaykatpussaykat Member Posts: 791

Played in vanilla wow.

I go back for like half a month sometimes.

-Would you like cheddar or swiss cheese?
    -Yes.

• RaztorRaztor Member Posts: 670

I began the day it launched, started raiding MC as decent guilds were beginning to form, and I still raid to this day. In fact there is a core of about 10 people in the guild that are still raiding from the MC.

• DalmontDalmont Member UncommonPosts: 272

Still playing and still raiding top end..

Not doing bugger all else, PVP is ruined and no longer fun, grinding is boring and even the top end raiding is getting dull.

• DreathorDreathor Member Posts: 537

Still playing since Vanilla, raided then and still raid now. A month break here and there. Playing very casually at the moment though as I can't keep interest in any MMO at the moment for more than an hour or so at a time.

"If all you can say is... "It's awful, it's not innovative, it's ugly, it's blah.." Then you're an unimaginative and unpolished excuse for human life" -eburn

Originally posted by bobbadud

Ask the question again when CATA will be launched: 

• Guild levelling in PvP and PvE.

• The promised rated BG competition with guilds and a new world  RvR system (Lake Wintergrasp “changed”).

• A new end game levelling system (PoT) that would be updated with each new content patch and is based on world exploring.

• Reforging (changing) the gear stats to your own personal taste and redesigning the classes and their talent setting.

Enough to not quit or come back.

I think that this new PvP system could be the steady backbone of WOW done right after simply too much repetitive PvE content in these last years.

The fact SC1 and WC3 are still being played is based on their PvP status. WOW's future life is based on a casual but expansive PvP competition.

I might be wrong but I think this is the path Blizzard will be walking in future years with WOW. The basis of all their other long lasting games has always been the PvP competition. Casual and hardcore e-sport is so much easier to design.

I seriously hope not, I'll quit.

Most people doing PVP are a bunch of idiots and arena's is too short not tactical in any way....just who has the best stuff. WC3 and SC1 are too quick and boring for me to do player vs player games, a bums rush will pretty much win most times or who can click the fastests...boring

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

Played WoW since about two months after it went out. I was always leaving the game for months at a time, last time i left was about a month after WotLK came out, doubt I will be back. The Graphics have never really appealed to me, the community is less sociable and friendly than what I'm used. Crafting is pointless, which is a big drawback for me and having to put up with all the nerfs and resets is an annoyance I don't want. As for the endgame, it's just a grind a bore doing the same thing over and over again.

• x3r0hx3r0h Member Posts: 186

Came back after four years to a game I really didn't like and seemed nothing like the WoW I enjoyed, but everything I didn't like. The community was horrible, moreso than vanilla WoW...Everyone felt like they had to give me advice on how to play my class. Every...dungeon....I....joined. I was a top healer back in the day, and still am, even after getting used to the game. You could see through all my gear that I was part of a top raiding guild, back when gearscore meant nothing and the gear you had represented skill, which is absolutely untrue now.

I left this game again, and no matter what expansion, or whatever they plan to bring, I will never play WoW again. Worse community ever.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
    "Your pride, good sir, far exceeds your worth." -x3r0h

Oldest mmorpg.com member with the least amount of post counts. That counts for something, right?

Originally posted by Dalmont
    Most people doing PVP are a bunch of idiots

I'm not, thanks.

and arena's is too short not tactical in any way....just who has the best stuff.

Luckily for you, with some of the changes in Cataclysm people aren't going to get global'd anymore if they are silly enough to get caught infront of a destro/ele or similar - leaving plenty of time for you to create elaborate tactics in arena matches.

Have you played in a high bracket before? Lots of strategy. It is very fast - yes, I don't disagree with you, that's the nature of the arena- but that doesn't mean there isn't any strategy to be made or tactical thinking to be done.

"If all you can say is... "It's awful, it's not innovative, it's ugly, it's blah.." Then you're an unimaginative and unpolished excuse for human life" -eburn

Originally posted by Dreathor

Most people doing PVP are a bunch of idiots

I'm not, thanks.

and arena's is too short not tactical in any way....just who has the best stuff.

Luckily for you, with some of the changes in Cataclysm people aren't going to get global'd anymore if they are silly enough to get caught infront of a destro/ele or similar - leaving plenty of time for you to create elaborate tactics in arena matches.

Have you played in a high bracket before? Lots of strategy. It is very fast - yes, I don't disagree with you, that's the nature of the arena- but that doesn't mean there isn't any strategy to be made or tactical thinking to be done.

You must be horde or something not to have idiots in your pvp :P Usually its a bunch of honour farmers that won't work together and just run lemming like into the horde...

As for arena being tactical...its dueling...thats all...nothign special there, as for being in the top bracket, I even be bothered to play it any more, was ok in TBC but wotlk its just degenerated into people playing the 'most suitable' classes and epeening everywhere.

Plus I have 1 lvl 80 (don't class my death knight as a level 80) as I can't get past 55 with most of my alts as I just get sooo bored leveling.

Strategy and tactics is what you used to find in places such as WSG, AV, and AB these are all now just so quick. My old knight captain title is still my most treasured possession from the old days especially on my server where every time we signed up for a battle it was 20-50 minutes to get in because the horde was so out numbered.

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

I played beta through to about 2 or 3 months before bc.  Came back about a year ago and not sure how much longer I will continue playing.  its an ok game, it does what it does pretty well, its just very shallow and the vast majority of players across the half dozen or so servers I play on all pretty much suck.  Rude, obnoxious individuals of inferior breeding and intellect.

• WildvixennWildvixenn Member Posts: 23

If anyone actually reads all this I'll be surprised..... anyways

From a womans perspective. I played for along long time. I was in it for 5 1/2 years, and I loved this game. After the changes in Wrath of the Lich King. Me and my bf quite. The game is way wayyyy too easy now, and you can even start out at lvl 1 with gear that lvls with your character and is better then the loot you get in dungeons. So it pretty much makes the whole point of getting nice loot in dungeons useless. I quite WoW for alot of reasons and I'm not bother going to get into it, because theres to many things to list, but for the most part this game Used to be a half descent game and fun to play, but the original was overall the best. Some didn't like bruning crusade but I didn't mind it. It still was challanging, but Wrath of the Lich King killed it for me for the most part. There has never been anything new that they have done to the game for long long time. The game is all about gear, lvls, and rep thats it. Most of the people who used to play are eather moved onto other things and got a life, or still play it every now and then, or are just utterly bored of it.

However I can sit here a complain and say all this negative crap about the game there is one thing why this game did so well. I feel that Blizzard did a really good job with the gameplay aspect of the game Just like how the Everquest 2 character movements are. Your character moved very smoothly, and I loved being a little cute gnome. Just watching her move with her little legs was hularious. Unlike most MMO's the gameplay seems clunky, or feels like your character moved like a robot instead of an actual person. To me WoW has had always the best gameplay out of all the MMO's. Period

But for the people going back to Cataclysm, don't get your hopes up too much. It's just going to be the same thing over again just like Burning Crusade. It's just the same thing over and over again, and blizzard are very good at manipulating the nieve people who play World of Nocraft.

I for one will never play WoW again. It's a complete waste of time, and money. Theres more to life then spending half your life in a MMO getting gear and listen too 20 years olds who act like 9 year olds argue over loot in raids. I'm pretty much done with MMO's all together. For the past 6 years nothing good has really come out at all. To me the majority of MMO's are just a waste of time and money. Right now I'de rather play Dragon Age, or Oblivion then any MMO. If Starwars: The Old Republic, or All Points Bullitin dosn't turn out any good. I'll probably call it quites on all Online MMO's. I feel they are all just the same thing over and over again. Just like what WoW has become.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

I play since day one of US release in November 2004, still play... why? Because I still have a lot of fun.

Oh, and a little hint for the poster just above me... all GAMES are basically a waste of time. That's what games are all about... occupying leisure time. Oblivion is just as much a waste of time as WoW is.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

Originally posted by Wildvixenn

But for the people going back to Cataclysm, don't get your hopes up too much. It's just going to be the same thing over again just like Burning Crusade. It's just the same thing over and over again, and blizzard are very good at manipulating the nieve people who play World of Nocraft.

I read your post and agree with you mostly. But isn't every game expansion/patch/update "the same thing over and over again"? Talking content, not new features (which Cataclysm does have as well). More dungeon content, more battleground content, more zones, etc. Every game is the same.

• yayitsandyyayitsandy Member Posts: 363

I joined WoW as soon as broadband became available in my area so it had been out for around 4-5 months by the time I joined . I loved the game in its first couple of years but things started changing for the worse around 6 months after the release of the Burning Crusade . I did carry on into the Lich King and leveled up serveral characters to 80 which I enjoyed but the real killer changes for me were the ones int he battlegrounds which encouraged honor farming and the cross server looking for a group system .  I did go back for a month a while back but things had got so bad (imo) I deleted all my characters and threw away the game disks . I can't see Cataclysm changing anything significantly , to do that you would have to reverse all the changes Blizzard have implimented to make the game more accessable (easier) for the casual player . The Warcraft we see today while it looks the same as the game we played in its initial couple of years is a totally different game and not half as much of a challenge and not half as much fun .

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by Dreathor

Originally posted by Wildvixenn

I read your post and agree with you mostly. But isn't every game expansion/patch/update "the same thing over and over again"? Talking content, not new features (which Cataclysm does have as well). More dungeon content, more battleground content, more zones, etc. Every game is the same.

Naw, really good games add Planetary Interaction.  (yesterday's expansion)  Totally new to the EVE universe and yet again proving expansions don't have to be the same ol' same ol' every time out.

Planetary Interaction

• The planets of EVE and their resources are now yours to use. There are a small number of exclusions, such as major hub systems, shattered planets, and sites of historical significance.

• Planetary Infrastructure can be built using Command Centers, Extractors, Processors, Storage Facilities and Spaceports. These are all connected using Links.

• Planetary commodities and products can be imported to and exported from a planet using the Customs office, connected to all spaceports built on a planet.

• See CCP Soundwave’s dev blog Impossible is our Middle Name for more information on Planetary Interaction.

But back on topic, I have a couple of friends who started WOW about 6 months into the game and they are still going strong.  They've switched servers a couple of times, and with a new baby on the way their play time's gone down some but they'll probably stick with WOW until their child can play.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ShariShari Member UncommonPosts: 746

WoW in vanilla?

Vanilla is a flavoring derived from orchids of the genus Vanilla native to Mexico. Etymologically, vanilla derives from the Spanish word "vainilla", little pod. It's mainly used in cooking and aroma's.

What does World Of Warcraft have in common with Vanilla?

We'd have to add an "excludes EVE and sandboxes in general" clause to my post for it to ring true I guess ;).

• AlteraAltera Member Posts: 9

I first stepped foot in WoW in 2005 as Alliance, playing alone mostly I ended up playing Guild Wars for a while instead.  I introduced my sister to gaming around this time and as a result have some good memories of GW, it's a good game but didn't manage to hold my interest after a year or so...yup, I got out my copy of WoW and reinstalled it and tried again taking a friend and my sister along with me, this made all the difference!  Went back as Horde and not really looked back since, the reason I still play aside from having responsibilities to my guild as a main healer and the fact that my boyfriend now is my Guild Leader (gives me little choice!) is the people in the guild...friendship and feeling a sense of belonging, I try not to play too much to avoid burnout as it's something that I fight with sometimes, I log in to raid and gather herbs for flasks and chat with guildies and thats about it these days.

I admit though that if I feel a bit nostalgic I log a low level alt and quest for a bit in the old world, thats where my fond memories are, from levelling back in vanilla, I didn't raid back then (started in BC)

p.s Everyone should take a group to strat to experience it at min level...oh the fun!  5 man instances are nothing like that anymore, it's sad...