Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard: WoW to Grow in 2010

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Ok that it is all fine and dandy that Blizzard wants to start touting how it will exceed 11.5 million. Someone please give a logical reason just because a company releases an expansion that it will automatically raise subscription numbers. In order for you to reach max level you must have the original game, TBC,WOTLK and Cataclysm. Do you actually think brand new players will spend over 100 dollars just to play WoW ? If anything they will just regain the old players who left for while. What do you think will happen ? I admit playing the Worgen does sound enticing but I'm not so sure players will remain for the long term.

Link: http://pc.ign.com/articles/109/1092640p1.html

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Ok that it is all fine and dandy that Blizzard wants to start touting how it will exceed 11.5 million. Someone please give a logical reason just because a company releases an expansion that it will automatically raise subscription numbers. In order for you to reach max level you must have the original game, TBC,WOTLK and Cataclysm. Do you actually think brand new players will spend over 100 dollars just to play WoW ? If anything they will just regain the old players who left for while. What do you think will happen ? I admit playing the Worgen does sound enticing but I'm not so sure players will remain for the long term.

Link: http://pc.ign.com/articles/109/1092640p1.html

The same thing was said about BC and WOLTK. Look what happened.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

When I picked up LotRO, I didn't pay for Shadows of Angmar (original game), Mines of Moria, and Siege of Mirkwood. I just paid for Siege of Mirkwood and got $15 off the 3-month sub plan price.

Now, Blizzard isn't Turbine, but I doubt they'll charge over $100 just for brand new players to get into WoW. That's a stupid business decision. Money in MMO comes from subs, not initial box sales (which they'll get an obscene amount of once Cataclysm releases, as usual).

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Pretty much agree with you, it won't do much but bring vets back. Sure there may be a small % increase of new players, but very small compared to the total. Pretty much everyone already knows what WoW is, and if they don't like it and play it already, Cataclysm isn't going to change that in most cases.  The game is just awful and unappealing to some, and no expansion is going to change that.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Originally posted by Comnitus

When I picked up LotRO, I didn't pay for Shadows of Angmar (original game), Mines of Moria, and Siege of Mirkwood. I just paid for Siege of Mirkwood and got $15 off the 3-month sub plan price.

Now, Blizzard isn't Turbine, but I doubt they'll charge over $100 just for brand new players to get into WoW. That's a stupid business decision. Money in MMO comes from subs, not initial box sales (which they'll get an obscene amount of once Cataclysm releases, as usual).

If a brand new player wanted to get to max level he will need to buy all the previous boxes which is is somewhere near $100 to do so.  Also what I find interesting is this... "  Pearce fully expects the release of Cataclysm to "win back" players who have since canceled their accounts." So the whole "staying at 11.5 million" was totally false.

• bambookbambook Member UncommonPosts: 180

my friend I am sorry, but you are either a troll a hater or an idiot. you can get wow with all expensions for 39 dollars. and 1 month free. when new expension comes out it becomes all 3 for 39$

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544

If a brand new player wanted to get to max level he will need to buy all the previous boxes which is is somewhere near $100 to do so.  Also what I find interesting is this... "  Pearce fully expects the release of Cataclysm to "win back" players who have since canceled their accounts." So the whole "staying at 11.5 million" was totally false.

Only way they are "winning" me back is by opening a vanilla WoW server. This game keeps going more and more downhill, i cant see why vets would return to the PoS this game has become. All the people i played with back in the early days of WoW dont play it anymore, and never will.

Oh how i miss the good old days of lvl 60:(

Currently Playing Path of Exile

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Yeah... no, I still don't believe that you have to pay that much to start off. No sane MMO company would slap the face of a potential customer with a nearly $100 starting fee. It's like having a "Welcome" doormat with a blood-splattered buzzsaw inside the doorway. Not very welcoming, and you certainly wouldn't go in.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Originally posted by bambook

my friend I am sorry, but you are either a troll a hater or an idiot. you can get wow with all expensions for 39 dollars. and 1 month free. when new expension comes out it becomes all 3 for 39$

um... expansion alone is going to be $40 (yes its, 40... 39.99 is a long way from 39), not expansion + everything else

battlechests which contain all expansions up to WOTLK cost somewhere around 40 right now, but theyre not going to do up to Cataclysm for the same price at launch, maybe a year down the road. They might do a package possibly for something like $60-70. They have never realeased an expansions + past games for the same price as just the expansion, the expansion is always either alone, or sold in a pack for nearly double the price. hell even Diablo2 packages still run $30-40

Come on, this is Blizzard we're talking about. You really see them selling their new expansion + everything before it for just the price of the expansion when they can sell $25 mounts?

• CavallCavall Member Posts: 272

Originally posted by kaiser3282

Originally posted by bambook

um... expansion alone is going to be $40 (yes its, 40... 39.99 is a long way from 39), not expansion + everything else

battlechests which contain all expansions up to WOTLK cost somewhere around 40 right now, but theyre not going to do up to Cataclysm for the same price at launch, maybe a year down the road. They might do a package possibly for something like $60-70. They have never realeased an expansions + past games for the same price as just the expansion, the expansion is always either alone, or sold in a pack for nearly double the price. hell even Diablo2 packages still run $30-40

Come on, this is Blizzard we're talking about. You really see them selling their new expansion + everything before it for just the price of the expansion when they can sell $25 mounts?

Exactly, they make a new battle chest almost a year after an expansion releases. I am sure in some screwed up ay you can "acquitre" all 4 for 40, just like I can "acquire" a stolen watch for half off.

Also, in regards to the article, its very short and simply does not contain the entire truth. 11.5 subscscribers? Lies based on Blizzard's lack of a PR since then. Its currently around 3 mil EU/NA/AUS Subscribers, 5-6m ASIAN HOURLY PAYMENT PLANS. Still number 1, even if 500k of their subscribers are chinese bots and multiboxers.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

You dont need to buy the expansion to see and play the new 1-60, you wont be-able to play the newraces or their respective 1-20 zones or play the 80-85 content.. but I could walk into game pick up vanillia wow for $15 and be playing the new 1-60 content with 1 month access. 

I could download the 7 day trial and play the new 1-60.

So will cata bring back old players.. yes because unless they want the new races they only need to shell out for 1 month subscription to see the 1-60.