Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: What if... A Rifts MMO

Comments

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by TheMaelstrom

Dude, the whole point of a world like RIFTS is that there's going to be MASSIVE imbalances. That's the frikkin' idea! The thing that keeps you looking over your shoulder is knowing that no matter how bad-a$$ you think you are, something could step out of a nexus point at any moment and smash you into jelly.

And that is what mmorpg's should be about :)

• TheMaelstromTheMaelstrom Member UncommonPosts: 393

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

Dude, the whole point of a world like RIFTS is that there's going to be MASSIVE imbalances. That's the frikkin' idea! The thing that keeps you looking over your shoulder is knowing that no matter how bad-a$$ you think you are, something could step out of a nexus point at any moment and smash you into jelly.

Hehehe. Thanks Cik_Asalin. I couldn't agree more.

One of the funniest things that ever happened to me back in EQ1 was taking my evil warrior into East Commonlands and wandering around. Suddenly I was <SPLAT> all over the place. Sergeant Slate... a level 50 wandering Freeport guard (to whom I was KoS) had aggro'd on me before I even knew who or what he was, or where he pathed.

Every time I entered that zone from that day on I was ***always*** aware of my surroundings. Good times!

Btw... I did go back at level 60 and gank him to get even. Mwah-hahaha!

No godless person can comprehend those minute distinctions
    in doctrine that provide true believers excuse for mayhem.
    -Glen Cook

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

+1 over here.

• KryalisKryalis Member UncommonPosts: 30

For those that are complaining about imbalance in Rifts classes, you've somewhat missed the point. And no I don't know how you translate the power mismatch into an MMO (only use classes of the same "tier", or just give characters of different powers different things to do?).

There's always bigger fish in Rifts, always. Plenty for your godling classes to worry about at night.

Considering how divergent the N-Gage RIFTS game was from the source material, I wouldn't worry about the micro managing very much.

Having been fortunate enough to have attended the last Palladium open house, Kevin (who is quite an awesome guy btw) did mention some developments on the MMO front with two companies having contacted him about the IP. Both big name players, one quite literally the one and only company I think that could actually pull it off. But it's mega long term stuff well in the 5-6 years off range.

I suspect this is why they had to move quickly with the legal action on the name (which less face it wasn't a good one for them to pick). There's also some fairly solid action on the Rifts movie front (which was optioned by Jerry Bruckheimer eons back), which should be fun!

• TheMaelstromTheMaelstrom Member UncommonPosts: 393

Originally posted by Kryalis

Having been fortunate enough to have attended the last Palladium open house, Kevin (who is quite an awesome guy btw) did mention some developments on the MMO front with two companies having contacted him about the IP. Both big name players, one quite literally the one and only company I think that could actually pull it off. But it's mega long term stuff well in the 5-6 years off range.

I suspect this is why they had to move quickly with the legal action on the name (which less face it wasn't a good one for them to pick). There's also some fairly solid action on the Rifts movie front (which was optioned by Jerry Bruckheimer eons back), which should be fun!

C'mon then, spill the beans. If he didn't want anyone to know, he shouldn't have mentioned it to some random guy at their open house. :p

No godless person can comprehend those minute distinctions
    in doctrine that provide true believers excuse for mayhem.
    -Glen Cook

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

C'mon then, spill the beans. If he didn't want anyone to know, he shouldn't have mentioned it to some random guy at their open house. :p

Tell us! If you are on the level this is big news!  Also if you see Big Kev again, tell him we all want parts in the movie. I will be third coalition soldier from the left.

• AriesianAriesian Member UncommonPosts: 20

I want a Cosmo-Knight with Giga Damage Capacity!!!

Rifts was always fun. Silly rules, but easy to tweak and play.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Cryptic and SOE.

If that doesn't make him come rushing back in to contradict me and spill the beans, nothing will.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• SnowdoniaSnowdonia Member Posts: 21

Personally, I would rather see a Shadowrun MMO. Or even an In Nomine MMO.

Shadowrun has all the sci-fi goodness mixed with the magical realm (just like Rifts), a diversity in classes and races that's not over the top, and I believe a well rounded sense of balance between those classes. It is very much overdue for consideration as an MMO and I hope someone wakes up soon and snatches this IP up and does it proud!

In Nomine... Well, it would probably be the most contraversial IP based MMO to ever be made if SJG managed to somehow get it created and published. That alone would make it a winner IMO. ;P But come on, with the current trend in TV serials, who wouldn't want to play in a world where angels and demons not only war with eachother openly, but we also see that fine line crossed as they work together openly and the good and bad side of both are seen, with of course, the human pawns to assist either side (Supernatural anyone? ;) ).

These are the IPs I would LOVE to see made into an MMO waaaaay before any Rifts MMO was considered.

• TolrocTolroc Member UncommonPosts: 111

I would love to play a RIFTS MMO.

• ChuckanarChuckanar Member UncommonPosts: 210

Would be great as long as Atari/cryptic stays away from it.

• rerednawrerednaw Member Posts: 23

I always enjoyed the fluff in Rifts.  Lots of great stories, heck I even bought the novels, horrid editing and all. 

While I'd rather see a level-less system (GURPs, um Steve Jackson, you listening?) I certainly would pick up Rifts if it became an MMO...well as long as it doesn't get Star Wars Galaxies NGEd. 

• EchelonsEchelons Member Posts: 80

The lawsuit in general makes you wonder if this isn't already in some sort of early planning stage. 

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Oh GOD YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even if its the First book and its 300 Bucks and 50 a month. ID PAY!!!!!

Wide open Sandbox with each book being a New chapter in the game. /dies.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• screenpetescreenpete Member Posts: 14

if sony makes Rifts the MMO, i say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

but if cryptic makes it, maybe.

Rifts if made into an mmo, would have to do away wiht classical class idea, and go more for a proffession style system. kinda like pre CU SWG.  that way they can add as many proffessions as they need or better yet make them just skills you can pick up so there are no classes its just some skills take more xp than others to learn.

• sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684

Hell yeah I'd play. Lots of great memories of Palladium system and RIFTS.

I'd also like to see a Shadowrun as mentioned earlier. Also some good times there and probably much easier to fit into the current style of MMO.

And of course White Wolf's stuff to hopefully come out at some point or another.

• Lex_TalionesLex_Taliones Member Posts: 38

I've been talking about a RIFTS MMO since MMOs 1st came out!  If I was to spend an assload of money developing an MMO ... it would be either RIFTS, Dune, or Terminator.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Originally posted by Snowdonia

Shadowrun has all the sci-fi goodness mixed with the magical realm (just like Rifts), a diversity in classes and races that's not over the top, and I believe a well rounded sense of balance between those classes. It is very much overdue for consideration as an MMO and I hope someone wakes up soon and snatches this IP up and does it proud!

In Nomine... Well, it would probably be the most contraversial IP based MMO to ever be made if SJG managed to somehow get it created and published. That alone would make it a winner IMO. ;P But come on, with the current trend in TV serials, who wouldn't want to play in a world where angels and demons not only war with eachother openly, but we also see that fine line crossed as they work together openly and the good and bad side of both are seen, with of course, the human pawns to assist either side (Supernatural anyone? ;) ).

These are the IPs I would LOVE to see made into an MMO waaaaay before any Rifts MMO was considered.

Shadowrun doesn't have classes. They have a list of pre-packaged skills (that are named) for those whoeither are overwhelmed by or just don't want to bother with their skill system. That misconception is one of the major reasons I don't want to see a Shadowrun (being my favorite IP) made into a MMO. Making it into some level-based  quest grind, which is what all companies with the money to do it with the exception of probably CCP, is not where I would want to see Shadowrun.

And noone is going to snatch up the IP. It rests firmly with one of its co-creators, Jordan Weisman, as well as a few other heavy hitters from the old FASA catalogue and at current Jordan is only doing something with the Mechwarrior IP from that group. Anything Shadowrun will most likely be a single player RPG considering Microsoft's failed FPS attempt and that Weisman has recognized it was a failed attempt and away from what Shadowrun is: RPG.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• SoraksisSoraksis Member UncommonPosts: 294

Wow I cant belive no one has mentioned Titan Juicer FTW!  I loved my Titan Juicer, heh i even had a special d20 the size of a baseball just for when I played my Titan Juicer.  A Rifts MMO would just utterly rock.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I think a Rifts based mmo could go a really long way if done properly.  The rifts world is filled with really interesting areas to develop for players to explore and interact with, even the parts where the game jumps the shark. 

Like others have pointed out, the rules system isn't very good and has problems all over the place.   Most people I have encountered tweaked the rules and systems  to make more sense.  That has little to do with the balance of the game either, just the flow of it.  For a role playing game it is filled with pretty cool things for players, but mechanically it has troubles. 

A lot would have to change to make it an mmo though.  There are just way to many classes in the books, but that would give a developer plenty of choices.  I'm not sure it could be made classless like UO or SWG.  On top of that I not sure how "factions" could be handled like the coalition and things of that nature.  It would be pretty cool though.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I posed the question of Rifts as an mmo about a year ago on this site. I received a response equivalent to the sounds of crickets chirping. Hell yeah this would be so versatile. It could start with a few worlds then each patch could at add a little more to existing worlds until they are fully fleshed out. Then expansions would  introduce new worlds at one xpac every year or year and a half.. Endless material to work with and with all the genres it would cover...something for everyone. Providing the core system was somewhat balanced and fun to use. Probably way to difficult to pull off  though.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

I agree wholeheartedly on the nod to In Nomine.  If they could create a system that successfully brought that gameplay into an MMO, it would be absolutely fantastic.

I'd also love to see a Paranoia MMO.  Or a Morrow Project MMO.  Or a Harnmaster MMO.  Or an Aftermath MMO.  Or....

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

In Nomine would be a terrific MMO.  I'd love to see it.

As far as the Rifts rules go, I hardly remember them at all.  My first and only character I played was a Juicer and I made a point of not knowing the rules, hence having little idea of when I was crossing the line from playing risky to playing suicidally.  Luckily I had a forgiving GM, who I was able to keep entertained with my antics.  I think if it were otherwise I would have quickly become little more than a drug-laced blood smear.  People get too hung up on the rules and number-crunching these days.  Sadly, with today's MMOs (even the RPGs), success is often built on one's skills with a spreadsheet and a calculator instead of inventive and gutsy play.

And don't get me started on balance issues.  If you want balance, play checkers.  The world all around us is full of imbalance, which is one of the things that makes it interesting.  There's no reason this needn't hold true for an online world as well. 

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542

Rifts would be a good Sandbox MMO, but it would have to start "smallish" and then work on expanding outwards.  

But then a Battletech (based on the classic Battletech universe circa 3025) would be also another large market.    Perhaps a Robotech MMO. 

Then there is the Cyberpunk:2020 by R. Talsorian Games.  

Perfect genre for a open world PvP MMO sandbox game set in a cyberpunk universe.

You could also fallback to the classic Twilight:2000 by GDW.    Nothing says fun like the 3rd world war. 

And who says they have to be PnP games.   I would love a MMO based on the classic game X-COM:UFO Defence.     That would be a GREAT game.   

So much crap, so little quality.

• KryalisKryalis Member UncommonPosts: 30

Originally posted by spookydom

Tell us! If you are on the level this is big news!  Also if you see Big Kev again, tell him we all want parts in the movie. I will be third coalition soldier from the left.

To be entirely fair it wasn't some just me, he did mention it in a panel talk to pretty much everyone there. Was just real early stuff and he probably shouldn't have mentioned it at all (you know how all these big companies get scared off) - but nobody can accuse the guy of lacking enthusiasm. Was just trying to point out someone other than us have noticed you could probably print money with a Rifts MMO ;)

Would be suprised if either of them weren't interested in trying a single player RPG first either, since Rifts is well geared to compete against a game like Fallout (which shares more than a few of it's core ideas). Which sold tons.