Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think I may be one of only a very few....

... but my hype for this game has gone up little lately. Probably because they was soooooo very low in the first place that I didn't even spare it a second thought.

Anyway, to the point of the thread, I know there is very, very little information out atm but has there been anything mentioned about pvp? It's one of the more important mechanics of a game for me and I wondered if there had been even any hints let alone a nice juicy interview.

Praying there are no BG's.

Edit ffs proof read

-----
“The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

Comments

• BesttheiswowBesttheiswow Member Posts: 301

Nobody really knows what type of game this is...the info out is almost irrelevant in termas of what the game has and whats about.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

There will be PvP, there will be PvP rewards, there will be battlegrounds...

And also: "Liked Mythic's way of doing PvP..."

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by mrw0lf

... but my hype for this game has gone up little lately. Probably because they was soooooo very low in the first place that I didn't even spare it a second thought.

Anyway, to the point of the thread, I know there is very, very little information out atm but has there been anything mentioned about pvp? It's one of the more important mechanics of a game for me and I wondered if there had been even any hints let alone a nice juicy interview.

Edit ffs proof read

Lots of info:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/208576/SWTOR-Information-Walkthroughs-Guides-and-the-like.html

PvP is just that look to the most recent video out they state PvP will be in what more do you want(and no i haven't posted the link for you, just like i'm not going to do your shopping for you), for the majority PvP is not a key element more factional.

Shame you find your hype draining away fortunatley there are lots of other games you can go play.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Originally posted by Isane

Edit ffs proof read

Lots of info:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/208576/SWTOR-Information-Walkthroughs-Guides-and-the-like.html

PvP is just that look to the most recent video out they state PvP will be in what more do you want(and no i haven't posted the link for you, just like i'm not going to do your shopping for you), for the majority PvP is not a key element more factional.

Shame you find your hype draining away fortunatley there are lots of other games you can go play.

On the contrary, I had originally written the game off (at least until a lot closer to release) but spent a bit of time going through all the gameplay vids this weekend and liked quite a bit of what I saw. Hence writing "my hype for this game has gone up little lately."

Obviously with so far to go theres no point in getting any hopes up. None of the vids I saw or the show reviews I read had anything about pvp, so I thought I'd come here and see if I missed something.

Thanks for the link, I'll look through plenty there, lets hope some of it is to do with pvp.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

Obviously with so far to go theres no point in getting any hopes up. None of the vids I saw or the show reviews I read had anything about pvp, so I thought I'd come here and see if I missed something.

In fact you did, the latest video (Video Documentary #4 -- Combat) has quite some PvP parts...

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• dar_es_balatdar_es_balat Member Posts: 438

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

Battlegrounds?

Thanks for solidifying my opinion of this game.  It is nothing short of WoW in Space.

I will not be playing it.

Crappy, petty people breed and raise crappy, petty kids.

• TaoMcDohlTaoMcDohl Member UncommonPosts: 103

Originally posted by dar_es_balat

Battlegrounds?

Thanks for solidifying my opinion of this game.  It is nothing short of WoW in Space.

That's either a lack of knowledge or hyperbole to prove a distaste.  

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by TaoMcDohl

Battlegrounds?

That's either a lack of knowledge or hyperbole to prove a distaste.  

Hehe. Wow you can wield a sword in this game. Its nothing but WoW in Space.

I will not be playing it. Broken logioc Broken argument. Tao all you can do is hold your hea in your hands and laugh.

• AmorienAmorien Member Posts: 142

i dont care about graphics , or story. Just EPIC battles , the sense of kicking ass and taking names be it pve or pvp. but ill tell you all now im going to play the F out of this game.

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

Battlegrounds are a big disappointment if it's true they are being implemented. But what can you expect I guess, I'm pretty sure this game will be a cookiecutter, at least hopefully a very good one.

But my expectations for MMOs have dropped lower and lower, I know longer care much for innovation, but the genre is in a sad state when all I'm longing for is just a decent game, as long as its got a big open world and a lot of variety I'm happy.

O_o o_O

Battlegrounds?

Battlegrounds = WoW - clone

Therefore that also means

Battlegrounds = WoW

Logic, yours is truly jaw-dropping sir.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

See, what I figure is as follows:

Mythic is also part of EA.

EA not happy with how Mythic implemented PvP and the failure (in their eyes) of WAR.

They are investing crazy money and resources (people) in SW:ToR.

They (Bioware/Mythic) surely understand that pvp = huge to a great many MMO gamers, and the potential for factional PvP in the Star Wars universe is boundless... I mean, come on it's Star Wars it's ALWAYS been about factional warfare. 

They also surely understand arenas ala WoW would not work in SW:ToR so no arenas.

They also understand battlegrounds ala WoW or Scenarios ala WAR very popular and easy to implement for ToR, but HOPEFULLY they understand that victory/loss needs to have some meaning, as in effecting outcome/flow of factional war.

They also surely understand that people (some) like PvP servers and open world PvP. Factional setting works perfectly for PvP server rule set (look no further then WoW and popularity of PvP servers.)

They likely see that 1. people did like leveling in PvP in WAR and 2. even WoW is adding/expanding ability to level through PvP and doing rated BG's.

So given these assumptions:

1. I'd expect to see PvP servers where you can always attack and be attacked by players from the opposite faction in the open world. 

2. I can NEVER see them adding in or creating "neutral" areas like WoW did with Dalaran/Shattrath I'd expect things much more like WAR where you will always have two camps; one Order/Destro (Repub/Sith) constantly battling.

3. My idea- Scenarios/Battleground will be primary focus of PvP. Evenly matched and a variety of game types, NOT cross realm. Scenario outcomes will help push control of certain zones/areas in the open world towards Sith/Republic.

4. Zone control via Scenario outcome and POSSIBLY open world objectives (mix of WoW and WAR).

5. Zone control might open up special factional vendors, new fast/instant travel options, maybe new raid/dungeon encounters "themed" for each side (like WoW did Trial of the Crusader) or maybe even daily quests (like WoW is doing with new open world PvP zone in Cataclysm.)

Will it be perfect and great? I don't know... probably not. As long as the PvP is balanced (please for the love of GOD don't do rock/paper/scissors balancing) and the scenarios are fun and there is plenty of incentive to engage in open world PvP and as such reason to "flag" for PvP on the normal PvE servers...

I'll be happy.

• fcazaresfcazares Member Posts: 190

I'm more interested in story and character development. You can keep your PvP servers. I don't mind PvP but I don't want it to be the focus of my game experience. I loath open PvP realms because it attracts 10 year olds and the immature player.. all the ganking, griefing and corpse jumping... its all for the mentally dimished.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

That's the thing, I do agree in most cases open pvp doesn't really work. Primarily I think this is the case much of the time because these games are designed as invisioned, then once finished they slap out a few servers with a 'pvp' tag and let everyone kill each other.

I guess the thread was created with unrealistic aims, I was kind of looking for a vid with commentary of a couple of devs going at each other and that's not going to be around at this stage. I wouldn't care if it was crap, just the fact that they were even looking at it would be enough.

-----