Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dos box still needed?

picommanderpicommander Member UncommonPosts: 256

From last time I played the trial account I seem to recall that I had to use dosbox for running AC, which turned out to be very sluggish. Is this still the case or am I confusing this with another game perhaps? But maybe it was just an attempt to run AC on Linux, since I had no windows box at this time...

In case of the latter, would AC run on a netbook (Samsung NC10 with Windows XP and DX9)?

Comments

• dar_es_balatdar_es_balat Member Posts: 438

AC will run fine on a Windows XP based system.  You should have no issues.

Crappy, petty people breed and raise crappy, petty kids.

• picommanderpicommander Member UncommonPosts: 256

Fine, thanks. Guess I'm in for a new trial next week, when I'm back from the wedding ceremony of my son in London. I hope they'll give me a new trial since Turbine still should have my old Visa data from the last trial. I know from EVE that you could (can?) have as much trials as you like. This is probably not the case with Turbine.

The bad news: My flight to London has been canceled. The good news: time to play. But now the next problem occurs: I've got a brandnew e-mail adress but turbine don't send me the trial key. And w/o a product key I even can't get access to turbine's forum or support. When I try to repead getting the trial key, the formular says: "The email address '****@****.**' has already been used to redeem a key. You can only have one trial key per e-mail address." So at least I know there wasn't a typo with my mail adress. In the support forum I've read about the same issue recently (this one actually created 3 mail adresses, to no avail), but this guy had at least forum access and someone was able to help him.

What now?

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Originally posted by picommander

The bad news: My flight to London has been canceled. The good news: time to play. But now the next problem occurs: I've got a brandnew e-mail adress but turbine don't send me the trial key. And w/o a product key I even can't get access to turbine's forum or support. When I try to repead getting the trial key, the formular says: "The email address '****@****.**' has already been used to redeem a key. You can only have one trial key per e-mail address." So at least I know there wasn't a typo with my mail adress. In the support forum I've read about the same issue recently (this one actually created 3 mail adresses, to no avail), but this guy had at least forum access and someone was able to help him.

What now?

Did you make sure to check your spam folder? some e-mails have been known to send AC trial keys there. If you have any kind of automatic spam blocking then it could of been stopped before it even got in, in which case you would have to make sure to add Turbine to your accepted contacts.

I would either call them and tell them what happened, or make a new e-mail just to get a key.

Thanks for taking care, but I've already used a brand new e-mail address (as mentioned in my last post). This new one was even an "original" address from my provider where I double-checked the junk folder of course. I can say for sure there was no response from Turbine.

Fortunately I was able to activate my old turbine account. So it's not a "trial" account now, but I lost my patience for further trouble. Always hated the account management of turbine that I knew from my DDO times. As I can see with my current trial attempt, nothing has changed. I wonder how many custumors Turbine already have lost due to their strange account management system... They have still too much subscribers I guess. image

EDIT: I just have read your post again and obviously must have overlooked that part where you say

"If you have any kind of automatic spam blocking then it could of been stopped before it even got in". Since I'm not comfortable with my providers e-mail account (it's Alice, I'm a googlemail user), I can't exclude this possibility.

• scottnsscottns Member UncommonPosts: 231

I played the trial on Windows 7 and it ran fine.

Just for the records: AC runs very well on my NC10 and with an external 23" Monitor I don't have to suffer from the small screen. AC is actually one of the very few games and together with UO probably the only remaining MMOs still running well on a netbook like the NC10 (which in the first place means silence to me image).

So I guess I'm one of the very few players actually appreciating AC's outdated graphics! image

I'm pretty sure that with a hypothetical AC3 the fun would be over for me.

• maxtlionmaxtlion Member Posts: 79

Have Turbine done anything regarding their connection tech yet? I think the game would benefit much more from an update in connection technology, so more past and new players could access the game, than from an update in graphics, which won't bring the game up to modern standards, when probably most players play it for the gameplay - not the graphics.

I'd play in a flash if my BT Broadband would connect and update - but it won't, so I am left bemoaning the state of today's games, which fade into insignificance next to this pillar of longevirty and achievement.

• jybgessjybgess Member Posts: 355

Originally posted by maxtlion

Have Turbine done anything regarding their connection tech yet? I think the game would benefit much more from an update in connection technology, so more past and new players could access the game, than from an update in graphics, which won't bring the game up to modern standards, when probably most players play it for the gameplay - not the graphics.

I'd play in a flash if my BT Broadband would connect and update - but it won't, so I am left bemoaning the state of today's games, which fade into insignificance next to this pillar of longevirty and achievement.

Any news on the modem/isp/router network fix they have been working on????

Originally posted by jybgess

Originally posted by maxtlion

Any news on the modem/isp/router network fix they have been working on????

No, Sev said it was something on the list of things to fix. And that was only about 2 weeks ago now I think, doubt they'd have that fast of a turn around with all the other stuff they're working on.

I'll make sure to make a post here as soon as they mention something.

http://forums.ac.turbine.com/showthread.php?t=46223

They are having a patch on Tuesday with what they hope will be a fix to people with router issues.

• jybgessjybgess Member Posts: 355

Sweet. I hope it works. Ive been wanting to play again for a long time. Got to go and tell my co-workers about this patch

Originally posted by jybgess

Sweet. I hope it works. Ive been wanting to play again for a long time. Got to go and tell my co-workers about this patch

The worlds are back up after patching, should be a good time for you to try it out.