Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

M11x, is it worth it?

madmagic27madmagic27 Member Posts: 24

http://gdgt.com/alienware/m11x/specs/

I was planning on buying it but I heard that the core i3, i5, and i7 will be available next month for it. Should I wait or buy it now? 

and are there any awful specs for it that should keep me away from it if I plan on gaming alot?

Comments

• daemondaemon Member UncommonPosts: 680

well.. u dont want that thing for gaming.

the screen is so very small,  the cpu is a very poor choice, no clue about that gpu but it doesnt sound it can handle much, 2gb memory could do for most games but hell... dont buy that unless you are playing WoW or some other kind of old games.

dont see what gaming experience you can get on that thing. i wouldnt pay 500$ for it.... its really not a gaming laptop.

• madmagic27madmagic27 Member Posts: 24

Ive read that it can run pretty much everything on high settings. except aoc and crysis

I was thinking it'd just be something for somewhat portable grinding while doing other stuff.  I just hate sitting at my desktop for too long.

And I might play eve on it. It seems ideal for eve imo

• radarloveradarlove Member UncommonPosts: 4

I play everything on my M11x. It has a smaller screen than my old laptop, but it's very lightweight and I can run all of my games at medium to high settings. 

• madmagic27madmagic27 Member Posts: 24

thanks for your inputs. When I first saw this I decided I'd get a bigger laptop with similar specs for around 650-750ish  but when the only thing that matches it is $50 less than the price of the m11x, id rather not give up the ultra portability and awesome lights for $50 

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

IMO it isn't worth it, you are paying for the name pretty much.  You can get a better game laptop with bigger screen for that price or slightly more. 1.3Ghz dual core on that thing is kinda weaksauce, most mid range game laptops around this price I see have a dual core 2.1 to 2.6 GHZ with 4GB DDR2 memory, 2gb DDR3 on the alienware isn't making it faster. If your going to do any type gaming a 11.6 inch screen isn't going to help you, the other laptops are mostly 16 inch starting sizes for same price range. Asus comes to mind.

• rumplemanrumpleman Member UncommonPosts: 34

I think the this laptop is totally worth it.

Everyone is missing the point - it's super portable. If he wanted the highest end graphics, he'd get a desktop. Sure you could buy a 17inch laptop, but have fun lugging that beast around.  

It's not the fastest, but it's not the priciest either (starts at $899). And I would totally wait for the i-processors to come out.

Those are just my thoughts though.

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Originally posted by rumpleman

I think the this laptop is totally worth it.

Everyone is missing the point - it's super portable. If he wanted the highest end graphics, he'd get a desktop. Sure you could buy a 17inch laptop, but have fun lugging that beast around.  

It's not the fastest, but it's not the priciest either (starts at $899). And I would totally wait for the i-processors to come out.

Those are just my thoughts though.

The OP did not mention that he was after ultra portability as why he was buying it, he stated if I game on it.  So I gave my opinion a better game laptop exists for this price with larger screen, sure if you plan to lug it all over the extra size would be issue for some, but mostly laptops got lighter over the years and the issue really isn't one anymore for most. For me anyway the extra inches and almost similar in weight as this isnt an issue, I am a strong guy I can lifts those extra pounds.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Price is a bit too high for what you get.  You can get a much better ASUS or MSI for the same price.  It has a Core 2 Solo and a rebranded low-end discrete video card so the way I see it, you are paying extra for the Alienware badge.  It should be worth $600, not $800.

• CatamountCatamount Member Posts: 773

The Geforce GT335M isn't the worst GPU out there by any means, but it's still vastly inferior to what one can get. Compared to, say, the Mobility Radeon HD 5650, the GT335M is constently slower in every game across the board, with the 5650 sometimes edging it out by a only a marginal amount (10%-20%), and sometimes by huge margins (50%+). That also doesn't take into account the horrible bottlenecking that CPU is going to produce; it runs noteably slower in Notebookcheck.net's testing than other notebooks with that GPU (the Asus N82 scored about 15% higher in 3dmark 06 with the same GPU, and up to 50% faster in some game tests, and even 100% faster in Anno 1404).

What's more, the GT335M probably has power draw comparable to a GTS250M (or a hair less?), which means you're looking at something in the range of maybe 25 watts of consumption, compared to the 5650, which consumes 15-19 watts, according to Notebookcheck. That's a big difference.

In fact, I wouldn't even put a GPU like that into an 11' notebook in the first place! I find it unlikely that that chassis is able to adequately keep that thing cool under serious load unless.

Just to give an idea of a better notebook for the money, gamingwise, the Gateway Nv5920 series comes with a Core I5 430, 4GB of DDR3 and a 1GB Radeon HD 5650, all for the same $800. It's 16' 1366x760 screen is also better.

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

I always tend to use http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html to keep an eye on notebook Graphics and CPU.

Personally though if i was going for a notebook I would go for http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&sku=683695&Q=&is=REG&A=details

So no, its not realy worth it, your paying for the name.

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• smile9999smile9999 Member Posts: 57

wow, sorry man but thats one really worthless labtop for a very very high price, there are better fish in the market man, just check, I cant help you though as to where, not much knowledge on labtops

They cripple the bird's wing, and then condemn it for not flying as fast as they.Malcolm X

• viddsterviddster Member UncommonPosts: 220

I assume on the fact that you are posting here, that you will be playing MMO's on it. Well 2GB RAM is not enough to play MMO's, and just that in itself will cause alot of problems.

The graphics card is passable, but you will only be able to run demanding games on medium, less demanding games on high.

If you are gaming, do not go for the ultraportable/ultrathin Laptops, they have very slow cores and weaker GPU's.