Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My gts 250 temperature

ThanosxpThanosxp Member UncommonPosts: 177

Hi! I've got a new rig,and don't know much about this GPU. Is 50ºC when idle in desktop and 83ºC when running a heavy game maxed, a good or even normal temperature? I mean,if that's acceptable, when is the "turn off before it blows!" point? Somewhere around 90ºC?

Oh,and details of the rig here:

http://www.xfire.com/profile/thanosxp/

Thanks

Comments

• HrothmundHrothmund Member Posts: 1,061

I'd say those around 10-15C above the norm. You probably have some ventilation/spacing issue in your PC.

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Originally posted by Thanosxp

Hi! I've got a new rig,and don't know much about this GPU. Is 50ºC when idle in desktop and 83ºC when running a heavy game maxed, a good or even normal temperature? I mean,if that's acceptable, when is the "turn off before it blows!" point? Somewhere around 90ºC?

Oh,and details of the rig here:

http://www.xfire.com/profile/thanosxp/

Thanks

Yup it is normal, however most GPU fans run at a fixed percentage and will run max only when the GPU hits 90 to 110 celcius which stinks.  You can fix it by going into your settings most like ATI offer an area to control fan speed or you can download a third party app that can controlt he fan speed, you can make it max or whatever percentage you want. Check your card manufacturers site for an app they might have one.

Also a GPU is set to start failing at about 200 to 230 celcius for most video card specs, so heat really isn't an issue unless your card is OC from factory or you OC it then you may start to see artifacts if it gets real hot, then you need to set fan speeds max or get a new cooler.

I seen lab tests of these cards reaching over 250 celcius for over an hour and still work. But most tend to breakdown around their set limit 200 rated.

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Originally posted by Hrothmund

I'd say those around 10-15C above the norm. You probably have some ventilation/spacing issue in your PC.

Nah that is normal for that card to be 80+ celcius at full, hes fine. Most cards run uper 90's after full after a few hours gaming. Replacing the thermal paste with MX2 or arctic silver usually can lower gpu temps by 5 to 10.

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

Get one of thesehttp://a-power.com/product-14756-0-1

Got one for my 4870x2 and went from 90s to high 50s at full load, deffinitely worth the cash.

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• CatamountCatamount Member Posts: 773

50C is hardly a high idle for a GPU, and 80C is absolutely normal for full load. It's at the upper end of normal, but it's still normal. Now, if you start hitting 90C, then that's getting a bit too high (and 100C is when you really need to worry). If you are worried, then just see if blowing out dust from the heatsink with a compressed air can reduces it, and if it doesn't the cheapest fix is just to get some better thermal compound for the video card (which will probably buy you 5-10C at load and a couple degrees at idle). After that, you've looking at aftermarket coolers.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

I have that same graphic card on my pc and it's one of the cons they give to this card the temperature.

Don't forget this graphic card is very big compared to most graphic cards but it's not a bad gaming graphic card mine is usually around that temperature specially now that summer is coming by.

Don't be worried a lot but adding a fan if you have space won't hurt because making the graphic card fan speed at 100% is very noisy and I made it at 60% but added a big fan behind.

Atm after playing some savage 2 (has some performance issues meaning takes too much for what it really shows I can hear the fan go higher to wistand the heat) and browsing web it's something near 65C and if I play it would be on 70-80C unless I restart or let it sleep for a few minutes to cool down to like 40-50C on idle.