Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Monitor and Graphics Card

rhepplerhepple Member Posts: 4

I'm currently running a single monitor for playing Eve but as I've just got a second account I thinking of upgrading the graphics card and buying a second monitor. Looking for people's view of the best card for a dual monitor eve setup.

Rich 

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

The HD5870 is the best card for multi-card setups.  On monitors it would be nice to get an IPS panel, but they can be difficult to weed out and even then picking one thats modern is tougher.  There is the Dell u2410 that is supposedly pretty good.  If you can find a well priced LG that would be best.

• rhepplerhepple Member Posts: 4

Thanks the HD5870 looks good I still need to shop around for a monitor

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

What's your price range for a monitor?

• BrifBrif Member UncommonPosts: 529
  • Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

I highly suggest Asus monitors. Newegg has some great deals on them once in a while.

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Originally posted by Cleffy

The HD5870 is the best card for multi-card setups.  On monitors it would be nice to get an IPS panel, but they can be difficult to weed out and even then picking one thats modern is tougher.  There is the Dell u2410 that is supposedly pretty good.  If you can find a well priced LG that would be best.

Right, just assume the OP is mega rich in todays economy to suggest one the most expensive types of panels. IPS is extremely expensive, a normal 22 inch can cost anywhere from $400 to 500 and some are cheaper under $400 but the quality and the accuracy of colors is terrible and contrast.

If you want a good IPS panel 24 inch or higher it will cost you $900+ and going beyond a 28 inch your looking at 3grand or more.

For normal gaming and dual monitor support the HD5870 is a good card but for the monitor stick with a normal panel, your not really concerned about viewing angles when your siting dead center of the monitors anyway. And truthfuly alot the TFT panels for the 23 inch size have better color and contrasts then the cheapest IPS panels in that size range. You want the best you pay a lot for it.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

IPS is going down in price, newegg is even starting to stock LG IPS panels for under $500.

I think the IPS stuff is still a little out of my price range for the monitor. Dell are selling the same monitor as I have at the moment for just over £300. I had a look at the LG W2261VP http://www.ebuyer.com/product/168144 for £130.

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Originally posted by rhepple

I think the IPS stuff is still a little out of my price range for the monitor. Dell are selling the same monitor as I have at the moment for just over £300. I had a look at the LG W2261VP http://www.ebuyer.com/product/168144 for £130.

Currently 2 of the best monitors you should look at for non IPS

ASUS VW246H  $220

and

ASUS VH242H $200

The above monitors are awesome game monitors and awesome price/performance.  Now I see you used Pounds but not sure what these would cost in your country, newegg doesn't ship international so you might have to pay extra but these 2 monitors are great.

• TheTookeTheTooke Member Posts: 55

It isn't a bother that with only two screens that you have a split right in the middle of your center of view?  I would think that with multiple screens you wouldn't want anything less than three or just stick with one screen altogether.

Robots will kill you!

The main reason for going with 2 monitors it that I can run 2 toons in EVE online simultaneously and be able to see what they are both doing.

• TheTookeTheTooke Member Posts: 55

Ah-ha, and that makes perfect sense!  image

Robots will kill you!

• hogscraperhogscraper Member Posts: 322

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3326540&CatId=3774

I use two of these and have never had anything bad to say about them