Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: UPS Shipping

KravisKravis Member UncommonPosts: 186

Putting together a system, think I had everything nailed down until I looked at my shipping options and expenses. All I can say is ouch! Was kinda hoping to avoid UPS but the cheapest FedEX option was over $160.00 plus I live in Ca. so you also get hit for the sales tax. UPS 3-day was only like $10.00 but keep reading UPS horror stories. Please vote and share your opinion.

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

More FedEx. US Postal Service, and DHL horror stories.

• MuddleglumMuddleglum Member Posts: 19

FedEx lost my computer a few years back, never found it, never got back to me, would give me the run around till I finally gave up. I will never use FedEx again even if it's the cheapest/best option heh.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

I actually worked at UPS for a summer and learned how packages get destroyed, so I can say Newegg packages should be pretty safe for a variety of reason :)

Personally I've never had a problem with UPS and almost all my computer shipping has been with them cuz of Newegg. Having worked there I'd also say them destroying packages was pretty rare, and most packaging was really good enough to protect the contents anyway.

• pythipythi Member UncommonPosts: 63

I did not vote on your poll, but I can say that UPS is garbage. USPS is much slower but doesn't seem to deliver as many destroyed packages. Fedex is fast and for me always reliable. UPS has delivered packages during rainy days, and put them in the middle of my driveway insted of bringing them to the door like they are supposed to, along with leaving them near my mail box, about an 1/8 mile away from my door. If you can wait go for USPS, otherwise Fedex is good for some extra cash, UPS if you want a medium.

Exocide

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I order just about every computer peripheral from newegg. This includes a whole new system about a year ago. It all came promptly and in good condition. However..UPS does tend to just leave it at your door if your not home. Also..on many occasions..they never bothered to knock (with 3 cars in the driveway) and just left stuff at my door...usually in the recycle bins...and once on a porch shelf...in plain sight ...in the rain....without knocking.....and I was home. So the order is pretty safe...the entire time..until it gets to your door. Then you may have trouble. I generally try to monitor the tracking online and make sure I'm home during projected delivery times (which , despite being too broad at times, are usually pretty accurate) Then I just keep checking the porch. Ridiculous but then again..so is the pricing on competing delivery services. I remember the times..maybe 10+ years ago..when UPS seemed golden...but now...they really have gone downhill. What happened to leaving a slip on the door 2-3x then telling you to pick it up at the facility?...I feel safer with this option rather than leaving my order in the rain.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

I've yet to have a computer or computer component destroyed by either UPS or FEDEX. And if you think $160.00 is a lot for shipping, you should try getting something shipped to Australia some time.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• BloodDualityBloodDuality Member UncommonPosts: 404

My father had a package delivered by UPS that they lost and were not really helping too much with finding it or solving the problem. All they knew was that it left one shipping area and never showed up at another. After a month of dealing with them and waiting we were forced to send them a letter showing a breakdown of the packages costs, and amazingly right after they would have gotten the letter showing that it would have been $15,000 they miraculously found it, and we were delivered a very beat up box with holes all over it.

I also know of a set of one of a kind antlers that were being shipped to Cabelas for a display that were shipped UPS and never showed up. Feel sorry for the taxidermist who shipped it too, because Cabelas was blaming him for the loss.

I will not use UPS unless it is the only available option. Fedex is just faster, and I have so far never had a problem with them. 

• MehveMehve Member Posts: 487

Being a Canadian who orders lots of stuff from the US, I've got extra grievances with UPS stemming from their cross-border fees that seem to be determined by a magic 8-ball, are impossible to determine ahead of time, and require a lot of paperwork to bypass.

Nevermind that they've left two boxes full of expensive computer parts on my open doorstep, without so much as an attempt at ringing the doorbell, and I only noticed one of them an hour before it started to rain.

The company's entire operating system stresses speed, speed, and speed, and the end results are predictable. These days, UPS-only shipping is usually grounds for me shopping elsewhere. I'll pay a few extra bucks for USPS if it means fewer headaches and better delivery.

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

I've purchased countless componants from Newegg over the years. Never had a problem with Fedex, and only once had an issue with UPS, which may have not even been their fault.

Only problem I have with UPS now is, as another poster mentioned, they tend to dump stuff by the door somewhere and scurry off.

This, even though I live in a gated housing community in Colorado, and packages are SUPPOSED to be left at the front office if the home owner is not home. They just dump stuff on the patio after knocking ONCE.

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

when I lived in an apartment I used to have a lot of trouble with where and when they would decide to deliver packages. Sometimes they would leave a package at my door, sometimes at the office.  They would frequently attempt to deliver at the office after it had closed and not come by my actual building to attempt delivery.  That used to piss me off to no end.

I should add, since Ive been living in a house I havnt had any issues with UPS at all.  In fact, they purposely deliver after 5pm to our residence allowing us time to get home from work.  Deliveries are always between 5-6pm like clockwork.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by BloodDuality
    My father had a package delivered by UPS that they lost and were not really helping too much with finding it or solving the problem. All they knew was that it left one shipping area and never showed up at another. After a month of dealing with them and waiting we were forced to send them a letter showing a breakdown of the packages costs, and amazingly right after they would have gotten the letter showing that it would have been $15,000 they miraculously found it, and we were delivered a very beat up box with holes all over it.
    I also know of a set of one of a kind antlers that were being shipped to Cabelas for a display that were shipped UPS and never showed up. Feel sorry for the taxidermist who shipped it too, because Cabelas was blaming him for the loss.
    I will not use UPS unless it is the only available option. Fedex is just faster, and I have so far never had a problem with them. 

See I wouldn't ship anything oversize or overweight cuz I know what happens to those and it isn't pretty, but Newegg size boxes are pretty safe, especially because packages from a retailer like that come in big shipments which means everything coming down the slide is pretty uniform size and weight and nothing is gonna get smashed up.

As far as their delivery etiquette it seems to depend on the driver for me, some knock and some just leave it by the door. I think you have to get 2nd day or get delivery notification service or package insurance to force them to knock/make sure you're home. Also if they're suppose to leave a package someplace specific you are suppose to fill that in at the site's order form, dunno if the drivers actually follow it though.

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

I never had an issue with UPS but have with Fed Ex before.  I think it is true about all these major shipping companies, is that some just have careless slow workers on some routes. I use UPS for years and they always are on time.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

I have a lot of expereince shipping through ups, dhl and fedex.

And it can be hit or miss depending on a lot of things. However, the thing is, you won't ever be stuck with the bill for a damaged package. It's more of an inconvenience than anything else.

Listen, UPS is fine. it's as good as any other.

However, they are sometimes loathe to leave a package, especially if it's an area they think is prone to someone stealing it.

My advice is to have the package delivered to your work place. This way there will definitely be someone there to sign for it and you won't have to deal with them leaving a note indicating  they need a signature.

In any case, don't sweat it. Heck, my former company and I used to mail computer components back all the time. They used ups and I used fed ex (as that was the cheapest option due to our contract) but we never really had any major problems.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I worked at and with FedEx before.  I would not recommend them for that vary reason.  Because of the Union FedEx is apart of many of their grunt employees are fresh hires and get treated like shit while they are understaffed and they overspend on fuel costs because they predominantly use Air instead of train or truck.  The only times I could recommend them is if you use next day air or an even faster delivery method since they usually hand those off to couriers who only handle a couple packages at a time instead of a few hundred.  DHL is slightly worse then FedEx.

On the leaving packages, its hard to blame them.  They have to deliver so many packages they can't take the 5 or so minutes it takes to make sure a package is secure where it was left.