Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The one problem with Voice Acting and MMO's

tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

There is one sole problem with Voice Overs in a MMO gameworld and that is ...

It has to be right from the start, you cant go in an edit a dialog after since the voice has already been pre recorded..

These problems arise in EQ2 aswell that was fully voiced over from the start, this changed after the expansions came however..

Then if they wan't the world to be dynamic they need the same voice actors for later use...

Will these issues be a problem for this MMO's future ?

Comments

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

They probably made continued contracts with the actors, some of them have also worked on a lot of BW games, like Jennifer Hale (Kotor / Mass Effect).

When someone dies, get sicks or quits, they either have to make that character disappear or find someone with a similar voice and maybe change that characters appearance a bit to match that new voice.

Not a problem that is unique to this type of games btw, it happened before in game series as well and it frequently happens in movies (think about Dumbledore in the Harry Potter movies).

It's not really a big problem imo.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• safetysafety Member Posts: 219

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

They probably made continued contracts with the actors, some of them have also worked on a lot of BW games, like Jennifer Hale (Kotor / Mass Effect).

When someone dies, get sicks or quits, they either have to make that character disappear or find someone with a similar voice and maybe change that characters appearance a bit to match that new voice.

Not a problem that is unique to this type of games btw, it happened before in game series as well and it frequently happens in movies (think about Dumbledore in the Harry Potter movies).

It's not really a big problem imo.

Also, from a similar experience in another industry, if the actor has a digital phone line, sometimes they can literally 'phone it in' when it comes to small additions and revisions.

• BenjolaBenjola Member UncommonPosts: 843

I have problems with VOs.

There are always few that I just cant stand listening to, they sound very cheesy and annoy me to no end.

Example is that char from the personal story video they were showing everywhere, that Sith dude that kills the captain blah blah.

So right off the bat I encountered annoying cheesy voice that i cant stand heh.

On the other hand, when done right it adds to the game.

Example is Martin Sheen  in ME2.

Thats top notch VO there and added a lot to the game for me, Martin just sounds cool.

I care about your gaming 'problems' and teenage anxieties, just not today.

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

Martin Sheen did an amazing job, I also think Joker is Seth Green's best work, Keith David, all of them did great. Nothing about the SWTOR flashpoint annoyed me, I thought the voice acting was great, not ME great, but still good. Just be thankful it sounds nothing like this

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Originally posted by greed0104

Martin Sheen did an amazing job, I also think Joker is Seth Green's best work, Keith David, all of them did great. Nothing about the SWTOR flashpoint annoyed me, I thought the voice acting was great, not ME great, but still good. Just be thankful it sounds nothing like this

Oof, that was pretty bad, but so is this. Even though it's not a game, I'm glad TOR won't sound like it.

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

Originally posted by Comnitus

Originally posted by greed0104

Oof, that was pretty bad, but so is this. Even though it's not a game, I'm glad TOR won't sound like it.

Lol, that was actually more enjoyable then annoying.

• YunbeiYunbei Member Posts: 898

Originally posted by thark

It has to be right from the start, you cant go in an edit a dialog after since the voice has already been pre recorded..

These problems arise in EQ2 aswell that was fully voiced over from the start, this changed after the expansions came however..

Then if they wan't the world to be dynamic they need the same voice actors for later use...

I love VOs! The more the better! :D

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Originally posted by Yunbei

Well..That was the question really,Will Bioware be able to maintain and produce new voices for that game..

EverQuest 2(SOE) did not, and also did not produce any new voice overs with the expansions

Well..That was the question really,Will Bioware be able to maintain and produce new voices for that game..

EverQuest 2(SOE) did not, and also did not produce any new voice overs with the expansions

As I said, they already are keeping up with their other franchises like Mass Effect, I don't really see the problem.

This is also not a series, so new content could be different and feature different actors, excluding the ones for your characters.

Everquest 2's voice acting, although hyped, was pathetic tbh, it was just a couple of NPC's yelling out some lines for the most part.

I wanted to freaking kill that bitch over when you entered the human district in Qeynos:

"NOW WHERE DID I PUT THAT LEDGER.........."

*/ Here I'll stick up up your arse real slowly*

... Sorry, build up frustration from playing that game :p

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

As I said, they already are keeping up with their other franchises like Mass Effect, I don't really see the problem.
    This is also not a series, so new content could be different and feature different actors, excluding the ones for your characters.

Everquest 2's voice acting, although hyped, was pathetic tbh, it was just a couple of NPC's yelling out some lines for the most part.
    I wanted to freaking kill that bitch over when you entered the human district in Qeynos:
    "NOW WHERE DID I PUT THAT LEDGER.........."
    */ Here I'll stick up up your arse real slowly*

... Sorry, build up frustration from playing that game :p

That was the so called dynamic voices of EQ2, and wasn't that dynamic as the hype foretold ,as you also took note from, the voice acting was from all the questgivers were rather good and Christopher Lee(Saruman )did the voice of Lucan D´Lere for instance

That was the so called dynamic voices of EQ2, and wasn't that dynamic as the hype foretold ,as you also took note from, the voice acting was from all the questgivers were rather good and Christopher Lee(Saruman )did the voice of Lucan D´Lere for instance

I know, there was some quality voice work done in EQ2, but the times were you got to actually experience it were few and far in between as I recall.

And the other voice work, like the looping dialogue of some NPC's, while fun and impressive at first, made you pull your hair out after you'd been playing for months.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I like Voice Overs - they give some atmossphere to thegame as grafik and ohter sound does.

Dragon Age Origins (english) was well made and other games like Vampire Bloodlines (english), Outcast (german) had Voice Overs too that were really good.

Two Worlds (english) is not so good at all with its Voice Acting but i dont remeber yet any really bad voice over in the last few years.

Today the tech is that davanced you can make a man sound like a woman and an old one sounds like a baby so there is no need for the same voice actor but for a good one that can speak in a given style - the voice can be adjusted then.

Voice Acting should be no more a problem in the nearest future!

BTW: Two Worlds and Outcast are officially sold online digital at GOG.com for dirt cheap without DRM running on todays computers and Windows XP/Vista/7 as a hint for anyone who hasnt played the games yet but wants to...

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

No not really , they have designed this element as key to the demographic they want  to see playing. I think you are looking for issues where they don't exist.

Dynamic and consistent are two totally different things. UNless the voice over is not even to the original then most people wont be able to tell.

So the answer is No.

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558

What took you so long to figure this out?

Originally posted by FreddyNoNose

What took you so long to figure this out?

lol, hmm

Well..I think many of you thinks about singleplayer games and voice overs, my experiences with VO and MMO's wich are very slim and unless you have played EQ2 you havent played a MMO that had everything voiced at all...

The problem that arose with EQ2 was that when they wanted to change or add new quests or even edit some errors in dialoges, they coudnt do it "on the fly" unless they had a full fledged team that created voices all the time, so they skipped it for the future expansions..Atleast this was the reason given to it's players at the time..

The problem that arose with EQ2 was that when they wanted to change or add new quests or even edit some errors in dialoges, they coudnt do it "on the fly" unless they had a full fledged team that created voices all the time, so they skipped it for the future expansions..Atleast this was the reason given to it's players at the time..

They have a full team that is busy with voices all the time here, not at BW themselves, but at Lucasarts ;)