Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

think java is too slow?you are probably wrong!

drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

http://soupgames.net/guimark2/

Firefox 3.7a5-pre ,received an update on the 21 of may, Windows 7 (64),amd x2 550,ati 5770 . This build has Direct2D acceleration enabled,and directwrite enabled.

java bitmap 600:buffer:strategy:647.63 fps

:buffer:image   :43.5 fps

if you tested with the latest nightly firefox and activated hardware accelaration you will get see a big diffrence too

so the question is !why arent all web app online using this !

they probably dont even know it can do this lol.but if you are a web programmer or watchemacallit there should be an option on the page to activate it because i can live with 647 frame per second on java online !can you

i bet lot of runescape player could too maybe!

Comments

• kinzokukinzoku Member Posts: 29

It wouldn't load up for me :S

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

just tested on chrome and it worked fine so this test isnt linked to any particulae browser ,just the difference between:

buffer:strategy(setting)

buffer:image   (setting)

it didnt load!mm!first time i hear this anyone else cant load the test need to be a 32 bit aside from that it should work!

• DreathorDreathor Member Posts: 537

Impressive, huge difference between the two.

"If all you can say is... "It's awful, it's not innovative, it's ugly, it's blah.." Then you're an unimaginative and unpolished excuse for human life" -eburn

• lowendahllowendahl Member Posts: 102

Java is great - when it works, which is not always, and Sun/Oracle have a nasty habit of breaking things during updates.

Flash pretty much always works and since it's needed for some high profile web-apps just about everyone have it installed. And it certainly doesn't help that java has such poor video support. It is a pity that Sun has managed java on the client-side so badly.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

lol.. rofl..  Theres a HUGE difference between displaying some bitmaps and displaying a true 3d game.  While Java by any means is not slow. It's far from being a true 2D or 3D Solution for games.

• lowendahllowendahl Member Posts: 102

Using libraries like Slick or jMonkeyEngine java is perfectly capable of both 2D and 3D games. Though I wouldn't have too much faith in applets even after the recent improvements. Both java and applets can be used, but they are probably not the best solution. Java is a true solution for games, just not the best one.

The MMO Poisonville is made with jME for instance:

http://www.poisonville.com/

It can be done.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Oh I'm not saying it can't be done. Look at Wurm Online and such.  I am just saying the time trade off and the performance between using Java vs a C/C++/C# solution is so large that the only reasion one would pick one over the other is is there project and team only knew java over another option or they where targeting a mobile platform.

mm im not sure on this i say java but the exact name might be ecmascript!not sure since im not the one that wrote the little

program that show the potential but the code and the autor is on the test!

Originally posted by lowendahl

Using libraries like Slick or jMonkeyEngine java is perfectly capable of both 2D and 3D games. Though I wouldn't have too much faith in applets even after the recent improvements. Both java and applets can be used, but they are probably not the best solution. Java is a true solution for games, just not the best one.

The MMO Poisonville is made with jME for instance:

http://www.poisonville.com/

It can be done.

pirate galaxy

runescape

probably lot of others

the thing is not many know how to use ecmascript and those that do are frowned upon till theopposite side see they were wrong

by the way flash also use ecmascript!so does a lot of other stuff .the trouble is a lot say they know the name of each code but not many can use them to do great stuf, they often copy and paste so their boss dont see they never really learned the subtle stuff

its like you seeing me change a carburator !oh if my boss ask you to change one, you will be able to. but if he ask you to adjust the carburator this way and that for a planned project that doesnt exist you wont be able because only experience can do it once its learned.and often only creativity and grunt work and patience will do!

its a shame tho because we began to see a while ago that it wasnt the code the issue(google)but coder had to learn new imaginative ways to use the code