Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Users Review: Red Dead Redemption!

RaythorRaythor Member Posts: 134

I know that the usual suspects reviews of RDR are stellar. My issue with those reviews(ers) is that I'm not sure if they are my kind of gamers to begin with, ie mmo gamers. I tend to trust an mmo gamers views more than that of some possible shills when it comes to non-mmo games.

The most important part of this thread is that mmorpg.com users get to be our reviewers for the game!

Anyway, since I have not purchased RDR yet. I thought I would start a topic to be added to by those mmorpg.com users that have.

So, lets hear it... the good, the bad, and the ugly!

Comments

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Havent played it yet... though I would like to soon.  About how many gameplay hours would you say is available if I decided to to do as many missions as I can... which includes all the primary and secondary missions?

• shadout00shadout00 Member Posts: 253

I'll give some pros and cons about the 360 version and online play.

The game is huge. I began playing for a few hours and didn't even bother to check the map.

If you enjoyed GTA, there is no doubt you will enjoy RDR. It is in essence the same game with a different face. You run around and do missions and are part of the storyline. You can deviate from what you need to do and do some "stranger" quests which are just mini stories that you take part in. You can hunt, skin animals, gather herbs, herd cattle, rope a horse, go shooting, etc.

I don't really know what  to say about the game honestly. This is a classic Rockstar title. As with other GTA titles for myself, I find the game to get repetitive and boring after 1-3 hours of playing, in which I take a break. I would say this game offers nothing innovative or ground breaking, but exactly what you would expect from Rockstar.

Multiplayer is where I was thoroughly disappointed. The hyped "Free Roam" mode is nothing more than playing the singleplayer but online. When you login, you are thrown into a 16 person max game. Here, you spawn randomly. You can meet up with friends or kill any other players on site. You obtain experience for killing other players and doing quests, and you obtain a fraction of that from killing NPCs with your friends. There are 50 "levels" in RDR, all in which you get from gaining experience. Leveling up allows you to play other multiplayer modes online (which I find stupid).

Other than Free Roam, you can play in organized matches such as FFA, a CTF variant, a neutral CTF type game and a few others. The one thing that threw me off the most about multiplayer is the usage of autoaim. I cannot believe that Rockstar implemented this. There is different mode to play that does not have this feature though, which makes the game interesting and more fun in my opinion. From all the games i have played in, the best players take cover, wait, and unload on people who walk around. FFA is full of spawn campers, since it is the best way to get kills and stay in cover. The best game mode would be the CTF type games, since one person cannot actually rule the entire game. There is a great deal of teamwork needed. You show up on radar if you sprint or shoot, so most people crouch walk or go very slowly around. Each map in multiplayer features a set of weapons you start out with (Sometimes knife+pistol+rifles, sometimes just pistol+knife). Weapons on the map are always upgrades to what you initially have, so expect people to either horde a weapon or camp the weapon spawn (spawns are not dynamic, they are static). The upgrades in weapons make the biggest difference in damage and fire rate like the high powered pistol shoots like 5x faster than the magnum and the semi-auto shotgun basically just sprays the entire clip compared to the pump shotgun.

Singleplayer - Great, what I expected, fun for awhile

Multiplayer - can be fun if you don't get camped, expect lots of cover and waiting, play the non-autoaim modes, expect weapon hording and camping.

I bought the game to play the multiplayer thinking it would be some new type of experience that would take all my free time away. Needless to say I have been playing singleplayer more. I expected a bit more out of multiplayer and the mechanics of skill needed to be good at the game. I think the bigger picture with multiplayer is that it does not feel rewarding and the Free Roam mode seems like a quick put together by the developers to allow people to play with their friends (hence why it was announced so close to launch). 

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

So, from what ive read, i take it that the Multiplayer & Free Roam is basically just like most FPS games with various modes, only instead of sitting in a lobby for a few minutes waiting for people to join/ready up/etc before you launch the round, you get to actually run around and play the game and kill stuff while waiting on others.

Sounds like a hell of a lot more fun to me than what you would get in a typical shooter. Of course its not as complex & full of multiplayer content as an MMORPG, but it's not like they ever claimed to be one, if anything, it was more like combining elements of MMORPG with FPS, which they seem to have done pretty well.

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

Its a great interactive sandbox novel/game! Lots of fun to play, things to do!. The game's npcs interact with you according to how you play your character.  I highly recommend the game!

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

RDR is one of the best free roam sp(non-rpg) games i've ever played.

If you love just roaming around and doing your own thing get this game asap!

If your one of those people that need to rush through everything to get to the end your going to find any game similar to RDR repetitive. These people don't have the ability to restrain themselves and change gameplay directions mid game.

They need to do everything now!!!! so they get caught running 100 side missions real fast and put themselves in a repetitive funk. Treat the game as if its a World and you will enjoy these kinds of games to the fullest, treat the game as if its in the way of your ultimate goal and you will think its nothing special.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

I found the game to be quite good and that coming from someone that doesn't play console games too much due to a lot of titles short gameplay span and nickel and dime DLC, multiplayer can be beefed up more, there is lots of camping  I horde weapons and do gang hideouts to rank up, I suspect there is boosting like other titles like COD MW2 and BF BC2, I dealt with a couple of campers last night in a place called Bearclaw Country or whatever a little run down house surrounded by bears and there was these 2 guys talking smack killing people as they came up to the house I went around behind them up on the hill hidden by some trees and sniped them out needless to say they didnt get back into the house as they got mauled by bears constantly.

Single player mode I've barely touched upon the main story and just run around doing the random side stuff , gamble, breaking horses and exploring, and hunting animals and herbs. So far its made me feel like I was in a virtual world (sort of) wish more MMOs would have this kind of worlds in their games. But I give the game the same as all the rest 9.50 well worth the buy and the replayability I suspect will be more down the road with expansion packs ala GTA. Few minor bugs but none too gamebreaking.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Completely off topic, I know, but does it seem to anyone else that Rockstar is using RDR to test the waters for potentially making an mmorpg as one of their next products?  Sure seems that way to me.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• RaythorRaythor Member Posts: 134

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Completely off topic, I know, but does it seem to anyone else that Rockstar is using RDR to test the waters for potentially making an mmorpg as one of their next products?  Sure seems that way to me.

I think a western mmo done right would rock. Done right meaning sticking to period items, lore and such.

Of course I'd still like a set of dorf skin saddle bags for my unicorn pony image

• 9GreenMen9GreenMen Member Posts: 62

Originally posted by Raythor

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

I think a western mmo done right would rock. Done right meaning sticking to period items, lore and such.

Of course I'd still like a set of dorf skin saddle bags for my unicorn pony image

Or your motorbike or gyrocopter.....but yeah would be very cool. Keep it sandboxy and I would love this type of game.

Currently playing: No MMOs
    Played properly: WoW
    Tried: AoC, WAR, Aion, Darkfall
    Looking forward to: FFXIV, Earthrise, The Secret World, Guild Wars 2 (very much), Project Copernicus (and Mercury for that matter), Everquest and Planetside Next (finally a meaningful mmofps again)
    Wants to play in 2 years time if it survives from the subscriptions of fanatics and turns into the game with all features stated on the website: Mortal Online