Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Possible Playable Races, Part Two

Comments

• kharlankharlan Member UncommonPosts: 19

Lets hope they dont do an SWG and bring Ithorians as a playable race, They are pacifists after all and have a herd mentally

personally i say bring on the Bothans they rule

• wasabi11wasabi11 Member Posts: 11

Ya, I've seen a couple people asking for Ithorians. Which are one of the most pacifist species in the universe as far as I know. Even the Ithorian Jedi were almost always in a support role like librarians / historians, or someone who just uses battle meditation far from the battlefield. Like the race, but I don't think they would make a great playable race.

• EchelonsEchelons Member Posts: 80

I think Bioware is in a tough spot with races like the Nautolan and Feorin simply because they look a lot like each other and Twi'leks.  I think most developers would shy away from having too many races that look too much alike.  I mean you can argue Elves vs. Humans vs. Dwarves vs. Etc.  for fantasy, but in a universe so diverse in species, it is tough to justify making all three. 

I personally have always been under the impression that Twi'leks are one of the shoe-in's for playable race.  They are one of the more iconic races in the Star Wars universe if for no other reason than the hot tentacled slaves of Jaba in Return of the Jedi.  They also have taken spots in KOTOR (Mission) and the expanded universe.  So if this is true, then I don't know if there is creative room for the other races that look similar.

I think the other shoe-in would be Kel Dor.  Mon Calamari are slightly questionable but definitely high on the list.  The shadow that casts the most doubt is that we don't know (like you mentioned in the article) if there are going to be faction restrictions as well as class restrictions (see WoW for examples).  If they are going to try to make it so that any race can be any class of any faction, then I think it is going to be a necessity that all of the playable races are versatile in what roles they can play.  Which is why it is also hard to say Mandalorians in the same sentence as Playable Race right now.  But, at the same time, one of the demo videos that Bioware have given to us, is the walk through of a Bounty Hunter going through the "Great Hunt".

It's hard not to attempt to read between the lines.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

How about something completely unusual? Have em make the Rancor Monster a playable race. Allow them to be Sith. A Rancor with a light saber and force powers, how terrifying an enemy would that be?

Or they could always add Gungans. Though I only mention that because I can just imagine how many people will smash their keyboard to pieces with their faces after they read it.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Originally posted by Comnitus

Originally posted by Czanrei

Yay for more speculation and an article that has no facts in it about the actual game to drive up more hype! ...seriously?

Yes, we should all be punished for using our imaginations and making logical opinions.

Keyword right there you said yourself..."opinions". The OP shouldn't label the thread as "Possible playable Races" when the thread is based only on opinion and no facts stated by BW. So let's stick to those instead of trying to twist my words and claiming I suggested to punish anyone for using their imagination which i didn't. thanks

• SaorlanSaorlan Member Posts: 289

Why are we speculating about a yet another theme park MMO?

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

Originally posted by Saorlan

Why are we speculating about a yet another theme park MMO?

because it is human nature to speculate about things they are interested in. Just visit a pub and listen to the people. Most of it is specualtion about all possible topics like sports, politics, weather, whatever they like.

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

How about just releasing the game so I can play any one of these races!

• wardog250wardog250 Member Posts: 249

Originally posted by Lokath

Originally posted by alkarionlog

miraluka I don't think will be on the game, it was mentioned in Kotor 2, visas was most likely be the last miraluka alive, and they home planet was destroyed by the sith

Visas's home planet was actually only a colony of the Miraluka. Their original planet is still safe and sound with a whole bunch of blind guys!

As for Mandalorians, I doubt ToR will make them a playable race. HOWEVER, there may be some sort of special selector under the Human where you get to choose a specific planet of birth. Mandalore, Alderaan, Tatooine... Or, if that's not available, you can simply make a Human character and RP as any of the species that are indistinguishable from plain Human. Mandalorians have no outward physical differences.

Ya, the planet that was destroyed in KOTOR was called Katarr, it was a colony world.  Their adopted homeworld was called Alpheridies.  Alpheridies has so little written about it; that we must assume it's still alive and thriving.  Sorry for all the bold text, this thing is jacked up.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. - Galileo Galilei

• ZerakusZerakus Member Posts: 19

Definately keeping my fingers crossed for the Kel Dor, personally... pretty interesting species, both looks and lore-wise. Other than that, I just hope for as much variety as possible.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Yay for more speculation and an article that has no facts in it about the actual game to drive up more hype! ...seriously?

I've certainly seen plenty of obnoxious posts when ppl speculate about the potential downsides of this game, certainly shows them up when they don't respond to all speculation the same way

Also have to say I'm not sure i like this less ethical style of piece from a memeber of mmorpgstaff(i guess they are anyway) essentially using the site to advertise the games they like

• JamionJamion Member UncommonPosts: 59

Originally posted by MikeB

Originally posted by RudyRaccoon

The one race I want to play most is Twi'lek, female Twi'leks are sexy and gorgeous, they are very likely to make it in as a playable race since they are a fan favourite.

Kaleesh would be a cool choice since I loved Generial Grievous. =D

Check back next week, and you may see them on the final list! :)

Twi'leks! finally in red (Lethan), blue (Rutian), green, grey, yellow, orange, purple, and tan!  mmmm... I love twi'leks.  They are like the second most populace race in the Star Wars galaxy, next to humans.

• JukoJuko Member CommonPosts: 3

DROIDS!  I WANT TO BE LIKE IG-88 or 4-LOM!

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Just people enjoying the ride these articles are great fun , community creating hype why not.  Weak minds who are influenced by speculation are just that. People who get drawn into speculation can create false expectation. But most are enjoying the prospect !!!!

Now some people cannot enjoy and that is so so Sad. Which camp would you prefer to be in?

Yet another good article , Number three is on it's way I hope :)

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by Karahandras

I've certainly seen plenty of obnoxious posts when ppl speculate about the potential downsides of this game, certainly shows them up when they don't respond to all speculation the same way

Also have to say I'm not sure i like this less ethical style of piece from a memeber of mmorpgstaff(i guess they are anyway) essentially using the site to advertise the games they like

What a card, this site is here for the purpose of discussion of upcomming MMOs and sadly I see your point but then again it's moot. Unless you feel the need to donate to the upkeep of this site so it could be more Uhm neutral in nature. But then I guess if you had your way there would be a good and evil Staff member doina  flipside review of every new piece of content and all adverts would be in Black and White, Blue are Green or even Purple and Red. Yes a perfect utopian world.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Originally posted by Isane

What a card, this site is here for the purpose of discussion of upcomming MMOs and sadly I see your point but then again it's moot. Unless you feel the need to donate to the upkeep of this site so it could be more Uhm neutral in nature. But then I guess if you had your way there would be a good and evil Staff member doina  flipside review of every new piece of content and all adverts would be in Black and White, Blue are Green or even Purple and Red. Yes a perfect utopian world.

So i take it you think that members of this site are being paid to write reviews?

All I am suggesting is that people are abusing their positions to some extent in order to promote the games they like

Neither of these is a good thing

And while i think the devils advocate stance might be an interesting idea when it comes to reviewing games and their aspects all i would actually ask is for a certain ammount of impartiality for this site to be taken seriously or any other for that fact(and not just games sites).  Yes that may seem a lot to ask to some people but that really doesn't mean that i shouldn't

• Myka.DMyka.D Member Posts: 8
    Hopefully Bioware expands the racial choices in order for me to relive my childhood dream of becoming a swashbuckling Gungan smuggler rescuing a beautiful Mon Calamari princess with a little help from my trusty Ewok sidekick. Bow and arrow ftw!

There may be harm in risking but there can also be regrets in doing nothing.

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

Originally posted by Isane

So i take it you think that members of this site are being paid to write reviews?

All I am suggesting is that people are abusing their positions to some extent in order to promote the games they like

Neither of these is a good thing

And while i think the devils advocate stance might be an interesting idea when it comes to reviewing games and their aspects all i would actually ask is for a certain ammount of impartiality for this site to be taken seriously or any other for that fact(and not just games sites).  Yes that may seem a lot to ask to some people but that really doesn't mean that i shouldn't

• MonsoonMonsoon Member Posts: 7

Personally I would like to see Bothans in SW:TOR; I really enjoyed playing them in SWG.

Monsoon Rhayne

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992

Wow do Bioware need to produce any hype for STOR when we have never ending articles like this?

• pSyToRpSyToR Member Posts: 9

What if they are looking forward to the game ???

Tell me where it is written that they cannot post something that they are looking forward to it ?

Tell me where it is written that they can only talk about things that already exist and cannot speculate or discuss about upcoming thing ?

Tell me why you're loosing your time reading something you don't want to read and just complain about it... You don't want to read it... you don't look forward to that game... you don't want to "hope" that someone from Bioware will read our ideas and take some hype in consideration for the playable character and bring it live ?

Then just MOVE ALONG we have no time for your complaining !!!

Twi'lek will probably be my way to go in remembrance of my char in SWG !!!

• AkumaDaimyoAkumaDaimyo Member Posts: 185

I want Dashade as a playable race but it's a NPC race right now. They are probably one of my favorite races in Star Wars.

I just hope no more idiots ask for Ewoks. They weren't discovered until Episode 6 (Return of the Jedi) and they are a primative race. Thus they cant use blasters or armor or even have spaceships. It's just retarded to ask to play one. So don't ask.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

Originally posted by Comnitus

Yes, we should all be punished for using our imaginations and making logical opinions.

Keyword right there you said yourself..."opinions". The OP shouldn't label the thread as "Possible playable Races" when the thread is based only on opinion and no facts stated by BW. So let's stick to those instead of trying to twist my words and claiming I suggested to punish anyone for using their imagination which i didn't. thanks

Do you know what possible means?

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by Monsoon

Personally I would like to see Bothans in SW:TOR; I really enjoyed playing them in SWG.

Bothans are cool, but they remind me too much of Joe Camel. LOL.

They are great for Halloween costumes though! Like, zoinks!

• guardian452guardian452 Member Posts: 5

i cant remember the name of the race, but i'd like to see the race  of Darth Maul/SWKOTOR2(cant remember his name atm) as they hav proven to be both good AND evil :)