Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suddenly Im not even in the hunt

RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253
Re: Beta not ready yet

quote:

Originally posted by Admini
Simply put -- it isn't ready yet.

Relax. Go eat some cookies and milk.

When its ready you will know.

I apologize for no one getting any annoncement out but its kinda .... busy... here.

quote:

Originally posted by Spoonbender (moderator)

Personally, I don't think the problem is that it isn't ready yet. The problem is that you don't seem to take the community seriously, when you literally say "We'll send out the beta invites tomorrow" every day for several weeks.

What you said above is fine with me. It's the "Ready tomorrow" annoucements that are getting beyond a joke.

So all I have done here is bring to the attention of other folks I thought may be interested here that Mourning is not going as well as some may think it is. I have said all the way along I thought the game was real and just badly managed at a community level. I have also said I hope it lives up to the hype because I want to play a game that sounds so good.

Well it would appear that even the mods are losing patience now and who can blame them. Pretty soon I wont even need to post anymore I can just sit back and enjoy watching others post some truth for a change rather than having to do it myself.

Enjoy. image

+-+-+-+-+-+
"MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
http://purepwnage.com
-+-+-+-+-+-+
"Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

Comments

• WoWisLEETWoWisLEET Member Posts: 68
    Ya, I have to agree with ya Razorback, but Im not gonna give up on this game yet.  Hopefully Admini will do the smart thing and hire a PR professional, and fade into the background.  If not, then hoo boy...
  • RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

The only reason I have been "lurking" on the mourning boards for like 2 years is I want the game to succeed and I want to know the minute it does.

Its really interesting today because there are a heap of threads really serving it up to the devs and they are not getting locked. I suspect the mods want to let people vent since at this stage they have every right to be upset.

I just hope it all works out image

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

I had the game pre-ordered, but after what I just read over at the forums by Admini. I'm going to have to put a stop on it. I'm starting to agree with alot of the negative comments I've read. The dev's do seem to think they are better then the same folks they are asking to buy their game.::::07::

Oh well there is always Darkfall Online, or maybe even Dark & Light.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

Im pinning my hopes on Vanguard. The combination of Brad Maquaid (EQ) and Marius Svenser (spelling) (AO) should by now have resulted in some seriously informed design decisions (you would hope) that has all the chances of developing in to something special.

The forums at Sigil are pretty quiet right now and thats probably a good thing. Its only when you start doing stuff like announcing that your Open Beta is imminent that people start pouring onto these sites as well all know.

http://www.sigilgames.com/forums/

Hopefully the lessons of the last few MMO's (mourning being one) that have announced open betas long before they have any chance of running one and just upsetting people as a result will lead to more cautious and thoughtfull design and media release deadlines from the upcoming titles.

Only time will tell.

As a side note : You notice Face of Mankind has managed to run a completely open beta, maintain a reasonable level of customer satisfaction on its website and acheive it all without a huge fanfare or any of the drama that Mourning has somehow managed to conjure up for itself. Im actually going to download the client and have a gander at it tonight (been meaning to for days)

+-+-+-+-+-+
    -+-+-+-+-+-+

• BilasBilas Member Posts: 78

Originally posted by Razorback

Im pinning my hopes on Vanguard. The combination of Brad Maquaid (EQ) and Marius Svenser (spelling) (AO) should by now have resulted in some seriously informed design decisions (you would hope) that has all the chances of developing in to something special.
    The forums at Sigil are pretty quiet right now and thats probably a good thing. Its only when you start doing stuff like announcing that your Open Beta is imminent that people start pouring onto these sites as well all know.
    http://www.sigilgames.com/forums/
    Hopefully the lessons of the last few MMO's (mourning being one) that have announced open betas long before they have any chance of running one and just upsetting people as a result will lead to more cautious and thoughtfull design and media release deadlines from the upcoming titles.
    Only time will tell.
    As a side note : You notice Face of Mankind has managed to run a completely open beta, maintain a reasonable level of customer satisfaction on its website and acheive it all without a huge fanfare or any of the drama that Mourning has somehow managed to conjure up for itself. Im actually going to download the client and have a gander at it tonight (been meaning to for days)

I agree with you Razorback,

I am looking forward to Vanguard, also D&L and Darkfall.  I was on the Mourning fourm a few days ago and had a few concerns I was ripped then, but now it seems more and more are getting upset.  The devs seem uninterested in the consumer telling them to "Go get some milk and cookies" when asked about the game. 

As for Face of Mankind I agree with what you said and I was beta testing that game, but I feel the game is lacking big time and has problems but it is worht a look see and you don't have to worry about the Devs.

Good luck,

Bilas

'She just left. She didn't even care enough to cut off my head or set me on fire. I mean, is that too much to ask? You know? Some little sign that she cared?"

• stav1stav1 Member Posts: 282

One second.

Everybody knows that the Mourning devs have a communication problem and have made mistakes when it comes to PR. The open beta fiasco being the most important example.

But are you guys saying that if the game is good when it realeases you wouldn't play because of the poor communication skills of the devs?? If the devs develop a good game (after all that is their most important task) then is the lack of PR skills that important?

I don't think it is- of course those of you who disagree can always go back to EQ2 or WoW where the PR is very good  but the games are...

• BilasBilas Member Posts: 78

Originally posted by stav1

One second.
    Everybody knows that the Mourning devs have a communication problem and have made mistakes when it comes to PR. The open beta fiasco being the most important example.
    But are you guys saying that if the game is good when it realeases you wouldn't play because of the poor communication skills of the devs?? If the devs develop a good game (after all that is their most important task) then is the lack of PR skills that important?
    I don't think it is- of course those of you who disagree can always go back to EQ2 or WoW where the PR is very good  but the games are...

Well I for one if the game is good will buy it and try it,  but good PR is important.  As for your last comment I think WoW is a very good game and as for EQ2 I only tested it for a little in beta and it was OK.

'She just left. She didn't even care enough to cut off my head or set me on fire. I mean, is that too much to ask? You know? Some little sign that she cared?"

Hey if the game is half as good as the hype I will buy it too....

Only problem is the hype has been so grossly overdone when compared to the reality that the finished product is gonna have to be pretty impressive or there will be an international egg shortage, because half the worlds supply of eggs will be on the face of the people doing the hyping.

It reminds me SO much of the Ion Storm/John Romero debacle of a few years back. I mean that guy was so impressed with himself he made all sorts of claims about how his FPS (that I cant even remember the name of) was going to revolutionise the genre. Just one small problem, it sucked like a jet powered vacume cleaner running nitro.

History has a weird habit of repeating itself, especially for the critically stupid and overconfident.image

*a few minutes pass and Razorback returns to the room with a grin from ear to ear*

I found a link.... go read this and tell me if in hindsight that is not SO damn similar to what we are seeing here. The classic scenario of over inflated promises. Even the most inexperienced, undertrained sales/marketing person has heard the old saying "under promise and over deliver". I can only assume that even the most inexperienced, undertrained sales/marketing people rarely choose to work in PC game production image. Our industry is teeming with people who seem to think the opposite is a better technique and they never seem to learn from either their own blithering mistakes, or those of the geniuses that have gone before them.

http://www.csoon.com/issue24/p_ion.htm

Funny Funny stuff image

Daikatana was released in March of 2000

*almosts chokes to death laughing* image

+-+-+-+-+-+
    -+-+-+-+-+-+

Only problem is the hype has been so grossly overdone when compared to the reality that the finished product is gonna have to be pretty impressive or there will be an international egg shortage, because half the worlds supply of eggs will be on the face of the people doing the hyping.
    History has a weird habit of repeating itself, especially for the critically stupid and overconfident.image

Razor - i'm a fairly good historian. I can only say to you that you can't predict the future from looking at specific events in history. There is no causal link between what's passed and what will happen. On a macro level we can all take some guidance from what's occurred in the past, but that's all.

You don't know what the reality of the Mourning finished product will be so don't make factual statements. And i think  most of the hype has actually been negative - which is sad since we all want a new and interesting mmorpg to play.

Well lets not forget Stav that this time two weeks ago you were flaming me for sugesting the beta would be delayed image

+-+-+-+-+-+
    -+-+-+-+-+-+

• ShrubberShrubber Member Posts: 219

Well lets not forget Stav that this time two weeks ago you were flaming me for sugesting the beta would be delayed image

Shhhhhhhhhh... Questioning authority could be dangerous::::15::

Well lets not forget Stav that this time two weeks ago you were flaming me for sugesting the beta would be delayed image

Hehe. I never flame you Razor, just a gentle prodding now and again!

Mourning beta wasn't delayed because its vapourware though- there are problems with the code.

If you'd said "Mourning beta may be delayed because of technical problems which are common to all mmorpgs in this phase of development" - i wouldn't have a problem with that since that reflects a true statement.image

• strousestrouse Member Posts: 114
    no game developers owe anybody anything until a game goes into a commercially launched state and people are paying for it.. this game hasnt yet so they can really do whatever they want to do with their testing.. 

Stav you know Im just pulling your chain image

Strouse I agree with you 100%

But during the time you are developing a game it pays to not make announcements like "Open Beta Begins Next Week (insert date here)" Unless you actually have some chance of doing it.

No one eihter here or on the mourning boards wants to see a half done buggy release. Even less of us want smoke blown up our butts about the game releasing "tomorrow". It seems we have had generous helpings of both.

+-+-+-+-+-+
    -+-+-+-+-+-+