Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have they updated armor models yet?

ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293

I played EQ2 when it released and stopped playing shortly after the Kingdom of Sky expansion was released with I think a lvl 55 Necromancer or something like that. I enjoyed the game but one of the things that always bugged me about it was that it seemed like they had only 5-10 different armor models that they just reskinned over and over....and over in order to make their different items.

I remember seeing the alpha footage and seeing how armor models looked in that (which was good) and then how they actually were. They said it was due to wanting a more realistic look but it always seemed to me like an excuse to cut down on game resources and development time so the game could run on lower end computers. Well it's been several years now and technology has advanced. Have they finally gotten around to making better/different armor models or do they have plans to do so? I've looked at recent screenshots myself and things basically look the same as they did when I left, just reskinned...again.

Comments

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

There are now some more diferent armor models but not too many. Some of them are in game, other ones are in the marketplace and are freely useable by any class. In my opinion its improved but the amount of diferent armor shapes is still lacking.

• ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293

This used to be a pretty big complaint back when I used to play. Do people still talk about it? I know I saw a thread about the new battleground armors and it seemed like half the people hated them while the other half loved them. I think that EQ2 would do much better if they updated the looks of their itemization.

I remember EQ1 and seeing that flaming paladin sword for the first time that Brad McQuaid used to tote around and I remember going "I want one of those!". I've never really seen anything in EQ2 that I wanted just based on pure look. The high level stuff looks almost the same as the lower level stuff. I'm usually not picky about stuff like that but for some reason in EQ2 it drives me up the wall.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Originally posted by ltank

This used to be a pretty big complaint back when I used to play. Do people still talk about it? I know I saw a thread about the new battleground armors and it seemed like half the people hated them while the other half loved them. I think that EQ2 would do much better if they updated the looks of their itemization.

I remember EQ1 and seeing that flaming paladin sword for the first time that Brad McQuaid used to tote around and I remember going "I want one of those!". I've never really seen anything in EQ2 that I wanted just based on pure look. The high level stuff looks almost the same as the lower level stuff. I'm usually not picky about stuff like that but for some reason in EQ2 it drives me up the wall.

I haven't found a good looking shield yet for any of my characters.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

I use to believe that good games didn't need good graphics. The game play is far more important than the graphics and bad graphics can be forgiven if the game play is fun. I don't know how EQ2 managed to do it but EQ2 proved me wrong. Mabye EQ2 isn't very fun? I don't know... I've never been able to get past the graphics... the same grahpics that helped push me out of EQ1.

The original EQ1 graphics were bad... but 3D grahpics had not come very far, they fit the game and it was fine. Then came Shadows of Luclin... what the hell were they smoking? The models and animations looked like they were created as part of a high school project by someone who had never taken an art class and had no natural ability. Awful, just awful.

If EQ2 had launched with Aion's graphic capabilities then WoW would've had a serious competitor. I can't help but wonder how much money Sony lost on both EQ1 and EQ2 over the graphics... but then EQ was never known for quality. The client and server code was just as bad as the art... it was an amatuer project that got big business funding. Sony should've fired everyone involved when they took over Verant and hired professional coders to code and professional artists to create the graphic content.

• MiffyMiffy Member Posts: 244

I came back to the game with my 2004 character and they're level 36 but all the armour is still the same from looting : Couldn't play for more than a few levels though because the game is so dated now