Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My FFXIV ready PC

spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

OK, time for some shameless bragging. I just got my new PC and while it really is for freelance work, i can't pretend I'm not looking forward to seeing FFXIV play on it:

Intel i7 930 Overclocked to about 3.5 GHZ (liquid cooled)

12 Gigs or 3-Channel Memory [More for rendering]

ATI 5970 Radeon card with three Dell Monitors and eyefinity (I hope this game supports it!)

128 GB SSD for win and main apps, 2x 1T 7200 HDs

Blue-Ray Drive

As of Right now, I am playing Crysis on it with three monitors and all setting set to High...its smoking...It slows down on Ultra high and any AA will just murder it lol (but that's crysis)..all I can say is EYEGASM!!

I don't normally gush over PCs and hardware...but then this one is mine so...forgive me just a lil bit :-)

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
www.spankybus.com
-3d Artist & Compositor
-Writer
-Professional Amature

Comments

• skoreanimeskoreanime Member Posts: 219

It's a good PC, but I'm still baffled at why people are still using Crysis as some kinda benchmark.  A game with a shitty engine that relies on better components to show it's "beauty".  It's the most unoptimized FPS to grace our PCs.  Ever since Farcry, Crytek has released a new engine with every new game they pump out, instead of working on the engine more and using it more then once.  Shows they're still amateurs.

And the game itself doesn't need to support Eyefinity.  The ATI drivers should take care of that automatically.  The thing you'll have to hope for is if SE will build in those ultra resolutions natively, so the game doesn't look quirky.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

Originally posted by skoreanime

It's a good PC, but I'm still baffled at why people are still using Crysis as some kinda benchmark.  A game with a shitty engine that relies on better components to show it's "beauty". 

The highlighted section above should pretty much tell you the answer to your own question :-)

www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• ErhunErhun Member Posts: 170

Is is innopripriate to say that I creamed myself at the first line?

But that is very nice, I would brag too.

• KryptyKrypty Member UncommonPosts: 454

Why did the 930 stop at 3.5GHz? I have a 920 (D0 stepping) OC'd to 4GHz per core on air.

• ErhunErhun Member Posts: 170

My friend had an Intel Q9 something OC to 4.0 on a water cooled system, I don't remember the exact model.

Originally posted by gameguy369

Why did the 930 stop at 3.5GHz? I have a 920 (D0 stepping) OC'd to 4GHz per core on air.

TBH i am not sure, mate. This is my first time overclocking anything, so I guess I am being cautious?

You're not the first who's told me to shoot for 4.0 since I have liquid cooling. Not  sure how much extra performance I might expect from that 0.5 GHZ, particularly with large batch renders. You think a lot?

www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Originally posted by spankybus

TBH i am not sure, mate. This is my first time overclocking anything, so I guess I am being cautious?

You're not the first who's told me to shoot for 4.0 since I have liquid cooling. Not  sure how much extra performance I might expect from that 0.5 GHZ, particularly with large batch renders. You think a lot?

Clock it up

So, to the overclock. And here, typically, it's a little more complex. The R3E board is already best buds with the 920, and as such unlocks all its chip-chomping options in the BIOS, including the CPU level up – and the auto-voltage settings that entails. Because of this, we could hit a rock-solid 4.1GHz on air-cooling without turning the chip into bubbling molten slag.

Unfortunately the 930 isn't so well recognised on the Asus board, which meant that we had to do the overclocking the hard way: by ourselves. Still, it shows just what an overclockable chip this is by virtue of the fact that without any voltage tweaks on our behalf, and still on air-cooling alone, we managed to hit a stable 4.23GHz clockspeed with our i7 930.

Only in WiC though did this translate into serious performance gains over the 920, being only a second faster in Cinebench and hitting parity in the X264 encode. But is it worth the extra £40- odd you'll be dropping on the 930 over the i7 920?

In real-world terms you'll hardly notice the performance difference between them, but the extreme tweakers out there will be able to post superior numbers with some judicious voltage management. For the rest of us mortals though, the 920 is still the X58 bargain chip of choice.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• DatcydeDatcyde Member UncommonPosts: 573

My 920 is well recognized with my ausus board , i over clocked tto 3.7 with aircooling the chip is so godo you dotn even need water cooling for those speeds.

• MehveMehve Member Posts: 487

The vast majority of games are still going to be GPU-bound at high detail levels, and rendering is going to be hit and miss. Run some tasks with Task Manager open, and see what percentage of your CPU is used. If you're not approaching 100%, the benefit of further overclocking will be more limited.

So if you're not comfortable with overclocking, it's fine not to push it further. It's can be a fun hobby for those who get into it, but there's always that caveat that you should never overclock something that you're not prepared to lose, even if the chances are next to zero. As it is, you've already got a hot rig, should provide lots of eye-candy in the days to come.

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

• YinchieYinchie Member UncommonPosts: 9

This is my FFXIV ready PC :)

i7 920 D0 2.67GHz @ 4.2GHz 1.38V here with DDR3 7-7-7-19 @ 1600MHz memory.

All stable, never tried to go higher than 4.2GHz, pretty sure I can tho if I wanted.

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.2GHz (21x200) 1.38V

MEMORY: 3x2GB DDR3-1600 CL8 OCZ @ 7-7-7-19 1600MHz

MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX480 @ 1700/2000MHz 1.075V

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB (32MB)

HDD: 2x Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB (3.5" backplane)

SSD: OCZ Vertex Limited Edition 100GB

SOUNDCARD: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional

CASE: Corsair Obsidian 800D

PSU: Corsair HX850W

FANS: 3x Noctua NF-P12 120mm

FANS: 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm

KEYBOARD: SteelSeries 6G

MOUSE: Razer Mamba

MOUSEPAD: Razer Sphex

HEADSET: Razer Megadolon

SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5500

SCREENS: 2x Dell 2407WFP-HC 24 Inch Widescreen

FAN CONTROLLER: Scythe Kaze Server 5.25" Black KS01-BK

RADIATOR: XSPC RX360 en XSPC RX240

PUMP: Swiftech MCP655

PUMP TOP: Koolance COV-RP450

TUBING: Tygon 1/2" ID R3400

FITTINGS: Bitspower en Feser

RERSERVOIR: Swiftech Micro Res v2

CPU BLOCK: Swiftech Apogee XT Extreme

GPU BLOCK: Danger Den DD-GTX480

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

up until this minute

this "Will my PC run FFXIV" thread everywhere in all FFXIV sites have me amazed even until today

i mean, i never understand what you guys see in FFXIV that you need this kind of an Overkill to actually play FFXIV. i know i know its your money and all, that's fine, but why did you guys think you need the monster rig to run FFXIV?

as i believe, any PC that runs Crysis.. wait. Crysis comparison seems a bit dated now. ill take something else :D

ok, so Any PC that will run BFBC at full settings without any problems will run FFXIV just fine

but yeah, those are some nice rigs you guys have there, as for me

im only relying on my new M15X to play FFXIV which i can guarantee will run just perfectly fine even with high :D

So What Now?

Originally posted by TweFoju

up until this minute

this "Will my PC run FFXIV" thread everywhere in all FFXIV sites have me amazed even until today

i mean, i never understand what you guys see in FFXIV that you need this kind of an Overkill to actually play FFXIV. i know i know its your money and all, that's fine, but why did you guys think you need the monster rig to run FFXIV?

as i believe, any PC that runs Crysis.. wait. Crysis seems a bit dated

ok, so Any PC that will run BFBC at full settings without any problems will run FFXIV just fine

but yeah, those are some nice rigs you guys have there, as for me

im only relying on my new M15X to play FFXIV which i can guarantee will run just perfectly fine even with high :D

LOL my PC is actually for Work. I am a CG Artist and rendering is a big deal for me...that means lots of CPU and RAM. admittedly, my GFX card was more for my funzies and being able to run 3 monitors is pretty nice (expecially when compositing with Nuke). This is for Freelance work......gaming is just gravy :-)

www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• pojungpojung Member Posts: 810

That's a dedicated gamer right there! image

That is exactly right, and we're not saying NO to save WoW, because it is already a lost cause. We are saying NO to dissuade the next group of greedy suits who decide to emulate Blizzard and Cryptic, etc.
    We can prevent some of the future games from spewing this crap, but the sooner we start saying no, the better the results will be.
    So - Stand up, pull up your pants, and walk away.
    - MMO_Doubter

yep i can understand that as i am also a 3d Artist, you need those power, oh yeahhh :D

but i witnessed lots of people "actually" rigs a new PC specially for FFXIV which amused me, even less gamer do that when Crysis was around

i know FFXIV seems to have a very powerful graphics need, but yeah i think if for those who are building for FFXIV, i think a core2duo and a mere 9800GT will run it smoothly XD

otherwise, FFXIV isn't gonna sell man XD

oh and btw Spanky, my previous post is actually not directed against your Topic, dont get me wrong  ;)

So What Now?

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Originally posted by TweFoju

otherwise, FFXIV isn't gonna sell man XD

While I agree you don't need that much power to run the game, PS3 is for the "poor" people!

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • Ichigo83Ichigo83 Member Posts: 86

ACCOUNT MANAGEMENT

BETA PROFILE SETTINGS

My System Specifications:

• OPERATING SYSTEM:WINDOWS 2.6.0.6001 (SP 1)

• CPU TYPE:AMD PHENOM(TM) 9500 QUAD-CORE PROCESSOR

• CPU SPEED (GHZ):2.22

• SYSTEM MEMORY (GB):3.498

• GRAPHICS CARD MODEL:NVIDIA GEFORCE 8500 GT

• GRAPHICS CARD DRIVER:NVD3DUM.DLL

• DESKTOP RESOLUTION:1176X664

• HARD DISK SIZE (GB):335.349

• HARD DISK FREE SPACE (GB):335.251

To update your system specifications, download and run the beta opt-in application using the controls below.

WindowsMacReset Specifications

Beta tests I'm interested in:

Preferences updated!

Update Preferences

• Ichigo83Ichigo83 Member Posts: 86

That's my PC specs i can play FFXIV just fine but i rather play it on my ps3 i hate PC games most of the time i have some pc games but i dont like playing on my pc all the time.

• hidekianohidekiano Member Posts: 5

OK, time for some shameless bragging. I just got my new PC and while it really is for freelance work, i can't pretend I'm not looking forward to seeing FFXIV play on it:

Intel i7 930 Overclocked to about 3.5 GHZ (liquid cooled)

12 Gigs or 3-Channel Memory [More for rendering]

ATI 5970 Radeon card with three Dell Monitors and eyefinity (I hope this game supports it!)

128 GB SSD for win and main apps, 2x 1T 7200 HDs

Blue-Ray Drive

As of Right now, I am playing Crysis on it with three monitors and all setting set to High...its smoking...It slows down on Ultra high and any AA will just murder it lol (but that's crysis)..all I can say is EYEGASM!!

I don't normally gush over PCs and hardware...but then this one is mine so...forgive me just a lil bit :-)

Haha, core I9 at 3.5GHZ?? Im running core I5 at 4.0 GHZ for 1/4 the cost, core I9s are a waste of money...

Originally posted by Ichigo83

That's my PC specs i can play FFXIV just fine but i rather play it on my ps3 i hate PC games most of the time i have some pc games but i dont like playing on my pc all the time.

yeah im thinking of playing FFXIV on my PS3 as well, but im gonna see which one is better in terms of control, but again, for the simplicity of it, i might just play on PS3

the only reason is because there is a 40inch HDTV in my house, but then i might also try it on my 24inch monitor using my m15x but then i get a better graphic

XD

So What Now?

• skinzfan55skinzfan55 Member Posts: 2

omg dude that computer kicks my computers ass.

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

I myself am going ps3 to start. I am going to try to save up over summer and try to find a solid pc for $1500 or so. Anyone who has played 11 on both ps2 (or 360 for that matter) and pc knows the amazing advantages of playing on pc, not just graphically speaking.

• JonolinbJonolinb Member Posts: 66

Don't get excited. It's being developed to work with PS3/360 as well.