Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Roper Teases New Cryptic MMO

Comments

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Originally posted by Vagrant_Zero

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Originally posted by Vagrant_Zero

Originally posted by Aericyn

I am not sure there is a current game studio out there I would trust with Forgotten Realms. Think there will be a lot of apprehension no matter who gets it. Ah well, there is always Copernicus from 38 Studios to look forward to someday...

Seems like a no-brainer to me. Bioware. They're the ones that made Forgotten Realms big in the first place.

<.<

>.>

Um, no they didn't. Forgotten Realms was "made big" by TSR...

And if you're talking video games, I'd easily argue that teh Gold Box series of games did more for the FR setting. Either way, as I said above, they won't be using MY Forgotten Realms they'll be using the new 4th edition version of which to me doesn't exist. So I'm cool with a company like Cryptic using it as I won't be playing it..

I'd say Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, and Icewind Dale (not made by Bioware but made using their engine) have the Gold Box series rather handily beat in the fame department.

You can argue the merits of the games until you're blue in the face, but there's no arguing which series of games modern day players are more familiar with.

Well of course they are as those games were made further and further down the line when computer gaming had gotten more popular and more people had "gaming" machines. My point is that without the Gold Box series and considering how society as a majority looked at "D&D" (devil worshipping bunch of weirdos), if the Gold Box series hadn't broken the ground it did we may have never seen the Black Isle and Obsidian made titles.

But yeah, it's a good topic of discussion for beer and pretzels night.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• illanadanillanadan Member Posts: 314

For the love of all that is holy dear lord, please strike Cryptic Studios off the face of this earth before they ruin yet another IP/MMO.

- Case: Thermaltake Kandalf Black Chassis
    - CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz (OC'd 4.2GHz on Water Cooling)
    - Memory: Mushkin 8Gb (4x 2Gb) DDR3 1600Mhz
    - HDD: Dual Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM
    - GFX: (2) XFX Radeon HD 5870 in CrossFire - New upgrade! :)

"I like wow, I like aion and I like AoC all for different reasons.....the later cause i get to see boobs, but still its a reason!!" - Sawlstone

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by MikeB

Bill Roper offered a bit of a tease on Cryptic Studios' new MMO that is set to be unveiled this summer on his official Twitter page today.

Not much to work with, but interesting nonetheless, check it out below:

Just popped into and out of a balancing playtest for an in-development game - feels SO good to be able to do fine tuning this early!

via Twitter.

For those who haven't been following, it has been long rumored that Cryptic Studios is working on a new MMO set in the Forgotten Realms D&D campaign. Not much longer until we find out!

[Thanks Christopher8 for the tip!]

Well I don't know what game it will be but considering the abysmal condition of Cryptic's last two games I feel justified to predict their next game will also be another half finished, half baked, cash grab, pail of pig slop. And from reading everyone else's comments it seems I'm far from alone in this opinion.

Here are some of the items I suggest they include in the life time subscription collectors addition of the next game they squeeze out.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

"fine tuning this early". . argh I remember when they said. . we already have the engine from CO so we can start right in on developing content etc. for Star Trek. .

this far this early = same engine?

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• SauronasSauronas Member Posts: 183

Roper needs to go away.  He worked on 1 good game 13 years ago and everything since then has been horrible.  Bill Roper is the Uwe Boll of video games.

• MeromorphMeromorph Member Posts: 75

I'm having a blast playing CO as my main MMO, and I think it's unfair to blame most of the game's problems on Bill.   If anything the game was just developed in a very short time.  

The guys at Cryptic who should be blamed were the ones who promised to Atari "we are going to produce this game in X months with Y dollars", where we all know X and Y were too small.  We pretty much know this wasn't Bill's fault since he only joined Cryptic later on, it is probably the fault of Jack Emmert and John Needham.  

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Most people here are blaming Cryptic as a whole, but at the same time I don't think Bill should be excluded from any blame directly.  He is a pretty big part of the company now and the lack of awesome that surrounds the titles he touches are scary similar to the lack of awesome that he branded at Hellgate:london.   The similarities in several catagories from gameplay to money grabs are just to similar.

Long story short, most don't feel that having Bill Roper speak about anything will inspire confidence or positive feelings toward whatever it is he speaks about. 

As someone else said earlier, Cryptic needs to start delivering and stop talking. 

Cryptic already has 2 problem children to deal with and ramping up hype for a third isn't going to do so well.  It just give the impression they are making fire and forget mmos. 

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

Originally posted by Aethaeryn

"fine tuning this early". . argh I remember when they said. . we already have the engine from CO so we can start right in on developing content etc. for Star Trek. .

Oh yeah, I have no doubt about that. Back when they were developing CO they did some inside the studio videos where they showed people working on STO and a third "secret" project. In the video the guy working on the third project had either a picture or a statue, I can't remember which, of somebody riding a dinosaur, which lead me at the time to believe it was a Turok game. I'm still not sure how that would tie into the Forgotten Realms...but they would have been definately working with the 'Cryptic' engine at that time, and if the game is nearly ready to go I can't imagine that they could have started it from the ground up.

On the plus side it does mean that this game will have had much more time 'in the oven' than their past two mistakes. Of course with the way they've been moving people from project to project it's probably been just backburnered for most of that time.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by Meromorph

I'm having a blast playing CO as my main MMO, and I think it's unfair to blame most of the game's problems on Bill.   If anything the game was just developed in a very short time.  

The guys at Cryptic who should be blamed were the ones who promised to Atari "we are going to produce this game in X months with Y dollars", where we all know X and Y were too small.  We pretty much know this wasn't Bill's fault since he only joined Cryptic later on, it is probably the fault of Jack Emmert and John Needham.  

Dafid011 already gave a good response but I feel I need to add this, here is my two cents.

First off Roper brought a ton of bad baggage with him coming to Cryptic straight after the massive failure of Hellgate London. Cryptic announced they had purchased the rights to the Champions franchise in February of 2008. Bill roper was hired on as Design Director and Executive Producer of CO in November or 2008. CO was released in September of 2009. That is almost an entire year at the helm. If he didn't have any serious input as to the progress of CO in that time then one has to ask just what the living hell was he doing? As to how much blame he shares in the STO fiasco, it is hard to say. However again since he was Design Director and Executive Producer of the game they cobbled STO out of, a game with well known massive pitfalls, he at least assumes guilt by association.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544

lol, another one allrdy?? how much thrash can this company produce? glad i never touched any of their previous products.

Currently Playing Path of Exile

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039

Originally posted by Murashu

Originally posted by Amathe

Honestly, is there anyone - anyone at all - who believes what Cryptic says, after their last two games?

Look at all the lemmings that rushed out to buy STO after seeing what they did to CO. Cryptic will continue making half-assed games as long as people continue buying them up.

If people actually go out and buy this game after CO and STO, then ill have lost all faith in MMO gamers.

The ones I really feel sorry for are the future lifetime subbers of this next pile.

Originally posted by Tardcore

Dafid011 already gave a good response but I feel I need to add this, here is my two cents.

First off Roper brought a ton of bad baggage with him coming to Cryptic straight after the massive failure of Hellgate London. Cryptic announced they had purchased the rights to the Champions franchise in February of 2008. Bill roper was hired on as Design Director and Executive Producer of CO in November or 2008. CO was released in September of 2009. That is almost an entire year at the helm. If he didn't have any serious input as to the progress of CO in that time then one has to ask just what the living hell was he doing? As to how much blame he shares in the STO fiasco, it is hard to say. However again since he was Design Director and Executive Producer of the game they cobbled STO out of, a game with well known massive pitfalls, he at least assumes guilt by association.

Yeah, Bill Roper had a full year at the helm, but by then the budget and deadlines had already been setup.   If you read the IGN review for CO, they mostly praise the combat and the customization, but criticize the lack of content.   I guess my point is that by the time Bill signed on, there was too little time and money to produce enough content for launch.   The only thing any of us could have done differently in Bill's position would be to beg the higher ups to delay the game / increase the budget.

Instead I look at the design choices Bill made.  Specifically, the most fun part of CO for me is the combat, much faster than other MMOs.   That was also the most fun thing about Diablo 2 for me, the action RPG combat.  Of course nobody knows exactly how much of this is Bill's doing, but I can see the similarity having played D2 and CO extensively.  

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Originally posted by xaldraxius

Originally posted by Aethaeryn

Oh yeah, I have no doubt about that. Back when they were developing CO they did some inside the studio videos where they showed people working on STO and a third "secret" project. In the video the guy working on the third project had either a picture or a statue, I can't remember which, of somebody riding a dinosaur, which lead me at the time to believe it was a Turok game. I'm still not sure how that would tie into the Forgotten Realms...but they would have been definately working with the 'Cryptic' engine at that time, and if the game is nearly ready to go I can't imagine that they could have started it from the ground up.

On the plus side it does mean that this game will have had much more time 'in the oven' than their past two mistakes. Of course with the way they've been moving people from project to project it's probably been just backburnered for most of that time.

Man I thought I heard something a bout Turok as well.    Oh well.  I guess I don't hate the engine.. I want the content.  Actually I think it is more suited to a sandbox MMO.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Originally posted by jimsmith08

Originally posted by Murashu

Originally posted by Amathe

Honestly, is there anyone - anyone at all - who believes what Cryptic says, after their last two games?

Look at all the lemmings that rushed out to buy STO after seeing what they did to CO. Cryptic will continue making half-assed games as long as people continue buying them up.

If people actually go out and buy this game after CO and STO, then ill have lost all faith in MMO gamers.

The ones I really feel sorry for are the future lifetime subbers of this next pile.

That is pretty silly.  CO has flaws, but it also has many central features that no other MMO has.  For me, playing something new is worth the flaws, which are pretty minor.  I actually consider the slow combat of other MMOs to be a bigger flaw than anything that is wrong with CO.   Why would I want a game that has more content, but all the combat is slow and boring?  Obviously I will pick the game that has fun combat.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Yeah, Bill Roper had a full year at the helm, but by then the budget and deadlines had already been setup.   If you read the IGN review for CO, they mostly praise the combat and the customization, but criticize the lack of content.   I guess my point is that by the time Bill signed on, there was too little time and money to produce enough content for launch.   The only thing any of us could have done differently in Bill's position would be to beg the higher ups to delay the game / increase the budget.

Instead I look at the design choices Bill made.  Specifically, the most fun part of CO for me is the combat, much faster than other MMOs.   That was also the most fun thing about Diablo 2 for me, the action RPG combat.  Of course nobody knows exactly how much of this is Bill's doing, but I can see the similarity having played D2 and CO extensively.  

How can you suggest that all the "bad" elements were out of Bills control and then turn around and credit him for making the "good" choices like fast paced combat and massive customization?  I know the huge customization was already on the table before Bill came along.  You can even see the roots of that decision in how Cryptic made huge customization in COH.  Likewise the fast paced combat was already in the if everything else was.

Bill was in charge for over a year, he shares some of the games responsibility.  It isn't like he just say around with his thumb up his ass for 12 month months unable to oversee the game he was in charge of or that he only worked on things that did turn out well and the bad aspects of the game were someone elses fault. 

Again the unfinished condition and money grabs from Champions have the same stink that Hellgate did.  You know what they say about where there is smoke.

• ShreddiShreddi Member UncommonPosts: 320

They have huge advantage using "Star Trek"'s name,  get that game up to speed before spreading your selfs too thin.

OR,  tie up all that could be great and sell them.

This post is intentionally written as to not make any sense what so ever. Thank You Very Much.

Originally posted by Daffid011

How can you suggest that all the "bad" elements were out of Bills control and then turn around and credit him for making the "good" choices like fast paced combat and massive customization?  I know the huge customization was already on the table before Bill came along.  You can even see the roots of that decision in how Cryptic made huge customization in COH.  Likewise the fast paced combat was already in the if everything else was.

Bill was in charge for over a year, he shares some of the games responsibility.  It isn't like he just say around with his thumb up his ass for 12 month months unable to oversee the game he was in charge of or that he only worked on things that did turn out well and the bad aspects of the game were someone elses fault. 

Again the unfinished condition and money grabs from Champions have the same stink that Hellgate did.  You know what they say about where there is smoke. 

Yeah, I never meant to imply that Bill was involved in the customization.  My story about Diablo 2 was about the combat, comparing this to CO as they are both action RPGs in terms of combat.  

My only point is that the game was developed in just 2 years, and that was something that was out of Bill's control (the 2 year development cycle, which was promised to Atari before Bill came along).   That short development time is the source of most of peoples complaints with CO, from the lack of content, the imperfect power balancing, and bugs.   

Looking at the parts of the game that Bill, and the other designers, had control over, those are the parts of the game I like: the core gameplay, it's fun.  It is the accountants along with Jack Emmert that screwed up trying to make the game too cheap and too fast.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

I'm actually glad Mr. Roper posted something about testing and tweaking so early in this stage, I've been wondering when cryptic will put out another game. I can't wait to spend money on it.

Oh, but I tease....

• ZeletorZeletor Member Posts: 150

Cryptic gave me my first MMO (City of Heroes in 2004), so of course I've got respect for the kind of product they can produce.

However, given your recent dual-"meh" releases of Champions Online (entertaining, glad I got the Lifetime Sub so I can come back at will in a year or two when you've finally got the game working right) and Star Trek Online (How on earth do you screw that up??? Star Trek!!! If there is ONE fan-base that should be synonymous with online computer game players, it would be...yes!! Star Trek!!! All STO got me to do was to re-sub my 2nd EVE account! Come on!), I'd say STOP ANNOUNCING NEW PROJECTS and FINISH BAKING THE ONES YOU'VE ALREADY GOT!!

I use color because I care, Cryptic. You're making MMORPGs, not Madden or Rock Band releases. Once you released a game, guess what? You can keep working on that one, we won't complain, honest! You make your money in MMOs by getting people to continue their subscriptions, not by selling new boxes at Gamestop. We've got to stop caring about what you're doing NEW because we are so unimpressed with what you're doing NOW.

Anyway, they were one of the coolest dev teams I've ever played under in CoH, I just wish they'd nail down a solid course of action, just to convince us they still know what they're doing (again, that solid thing COULD have been Star Trek Online. I mean you had Leonard Nimoy with you on this thing!).

Currently playing: LOTRO, Guild Wars 2.
    Have played: EVE Online; Champions Online; Age of Conan; City of Heroes/Villains; Star Wars Galaxies (pre-CU, pre-NGE); World of Warcraft (Vanilla to Cataclysm); Hellgate: London; Warhammer Online; Lord of the Rings Online; Vanguard: Saga of Heroes; Star Wars: The Old Republic
    Wishlist: Mass Effect Online

• Chile267Chile267 Member UncommonPosts: 141

I wonder if Roper is moonlighting over at SV and has been helping with Mortal Online. Hmmmmm... Coincidence?

• BetabooBetaboo Member Posts: 384

How exactly are they going to advertise and hype this when the majority of MMO players hate them and go into a rage and start spitting venom every time cryptic or one of the cryptic's execs names are mentioned?

This company needs to fix the steaming pile of dog poo that is STO before they launch another pile of excrement onto the market.

• carlmundcarlmund Member Posts: 4

*Sorry, I don't usually take into account YOUR 'faith' when spending MY money on something I want to. I bought a lifetime sub with STO, play it and have no regrets. And if you feel sorry for me, well, more power to you. I won't give it a second thought as I continue to play and enjoy STO.

• Firestem4Firestem4 Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by Sauronas

Roper needs to go away.  He worked on 1 good game 13 years ago and everything since then has been horrible.  Bill Roper is the Uwe Boll of video games.

THIS^^!!

• GreenLanternFanGreenLanternFan Member Posts: 374

Originally posted by Lobotomist

MUAHAHAHA MUAHAHAHAHA MUAHAHAHA MUAHAHAHAHA MUAHAHAHAHA

You left out:

These are the games you're looking for. Now, give us your money!

Your fail comment, failed.

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Originally posted by maskedweasel

I suppose since they based the last 2 games off of the same boring engine with minor subtleties I don't see how they wouldn't be able to fine tune this early. They probably ironed out most of the problems in the past 2 releases.

All they need to do is dress this game up in a different skin and they'll be ready for launch in about a month.

He is just brimming with positivity!

I can hardly wait to see what perks come with a lifetime sub to this new game!

you get

our brand new mmo (re-skinned sto/co)

a cash shop

a spiffy server wide chat channel for only life time members (that no one uses)

a cash shop

a lounge for life time only members (that no one uses)

a cash shop

condescending or just rude employee posts on our forums

a cash shop

access to our forums with a special title (unless you post negative things about our game, true or not we will ban you)

a cash shop

AND BEST OF ALL ...... early access to a lifetime sub for our new game thats allready in developement and will be out in 6 months!!!!

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME