Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is wow still really popular or should i try something else?

Ashere25xAshere25x Member Posts: 8

Thinking about signing up for wow again. I guess im looking for some input been out of the game for about a year. Is it still popular?

Comments

• TsathogguaTsathoggua Member Posts: 100

Originally posted by Ashere25x

Thinking about signing up for wow again. I guess im looking for some input been out of the game for about a year. Is it still popular?

Yeah, it is still popular--though probably hasn't changed much since you left.

Why did you leave?

• elusivexelusivex Member Posts: 86

For me it's not worth the money. Not anymore.  The leveling  game is lame now kids just use the dungeon finder  from 15-80 and then you are one of the t9 clones running around dalaran.  It's still popular though.

The raiding is fine I guess, however your just gonna bust ass for i264-i277 gear only for it to be trash next expansion.

The game is more for little kids now imo.

IDK man just my opinion.

A man or "gamer" should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

try battles of immortals first(its the flavor of the month!if its not to your liking you can always try wow later(i suggest you wait for cataclysm before you jump in wow)

• Ashere25xAshere25x Member Posts: 8

I usually give it up during the school year. Did the same thing last year but just didnt get back into it.

• orlacorlac Member Posts: 549

No, it is no longer popular. No one plays.

• SouzetsuAeriSouzetsuAeri Member UncommonPosts: 120

Originally posted by elusivex

For me it's not worth the money. Not anymore.  The leveling  game is lame now kids just use the dungeon finder  from 15-80 and then you are one of the t9 clones running around dalaran.  It's still popular though.

The raiding is fine I guess, however your just gonna bust ass for i264-i277 gear only for it to be trash next expansion.

The game is more for little kids now imo.

IDK man just my opinion.

That is entirely your oppinion and does in no way mean someone shouldn't return to WoW.

A lot has changed, and the dungeon finder has been very useful to help gear and level people. No more having to waste time trying to find a group of players your level to clear a dungeon. The system works in a very similar way as the battlegroup BG's work.

Yes T9 is easily attainable, but most people nowadays don't have time to find a guild to carry them through all the pre-raids to get ready for current popular raids.

For the people complaining that WoW has lost all its hardcore luster.. That is why Heroic raids are available, to give a new challenge for those who seek it.

If all you are interested in is popularity, yes WoW is still very popular and has a lot of new features that help is become less work and more fun.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

If the number of players in game along with you is a strong motivation for your gaming then yes WOW is by far still the most populous (anyone remember that old game) mmo by far.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905

In terms of subscriptions, it's pretty much capped itself at 11 million or so subscribers. It will rise and fall a bit with a new expansion, but I think Blizzard and all of us are in agreement this is about where the train lets off.

IMO the new changes make it much more accessible, which holds both good and bad conotations. The good being that many, many people who previously didn't enjoy MMOs for their usual lengthy "grind" and "LFG" sessions can now enjoy WoW's end game content. The flip side to that is, like I said, many more people are playing - not all of those people want to be your best mates. From personal experience on the Bleeding Hollow and Zangarmarsh servers, on both Alliance and Horde sides, I can say that the community in World of Warcraft is one of the worst in any of the major MMOs I've played.

So should you come back? Well, don't expect to feel special or awesome with your skill or gear - there's a million other clones just like you. However, if you just want a quick taste of some good, action gameplay a few hours a week, then subscribe away my friend.

• csheadsh0tcsheadsh0t Member Posts: 77

A simple question deserves a simple answer..... YES .  Plus, with the cross real dungeon finder, you will be able to run dungeons once you reach level 15( easily)... By the way, Tanks = instant dungeon queue, followed by healers, the rest can take around 10 mins or longer SOMETIMES.

• BsheezyBsheezy Member UncommonPosts: 88

Originally posted by drbaltazar

try battles of immortals first(its the flavor of the month!if its not to your liking you can always try wow later(i suggest you wait for cataclysm before you jump in wow)

what he said.  

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

You won't find a game with more people playing than WoW. It's still the most popular by a long shot.

• XKhallusXXKhallusX Member Posts: 31

is it too late to even start wow? i have honestly never played it past the trial but am thinking about trying it again since i dont have anything else to play. obviously the game is top heavy which is no problem. but im wondering how hard it would be to get geared up to start casual raiding.

planning on playing a hunter, i know i know ... huntard. but i can't help it the archer class always has appealed to me in MMOs.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

If the game is fun for you then no it's not too late to play.

As for the gear question, that just depends on how much time you have. At level 80 you could get geared for raids in about 2 weeks. Less if you can stand the dungeon grind.

• aretinaaretina Member UncommonPosts: 104

I played on 3 diffrent EU servers , both alliance and horde and i must say WoW community nowdays is worst i ever see in any MMO not to mention billiards gearscore you must have to even join casual raiding guild.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Yes the game is still very popular.

I could be wrong, but by the way you pose your question you give the impression that you'd only play something if it's popular. Is this the aspect of an MMO you find most appealing?

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

If your thinking of starting a new toon then wait a few months for the expansion, new 1-60 revamp, new talent trees, new class/race combos - then if you buy the expansion, 2 new races, 5 new 80-85 zones etc.

Loads of people will be rerolling and the 1-60 zones will be jam packed just like vanilla wow, and if you follow the wave Outlands and Northrend will be packed too, so wait for the expansion I say.

• BloodDualityBloodDuality Member UncommonPosts: 404

Well since it has been stated that WoW is still popular I just feel like saying my experiece after returning a week ago after 9 months off.

First thing I have to say is that the gear really doesn't seem all that different to get than it was before, just a bit different. Can buy gear through saving up the emblems just like before, but now that they have the dungeon finder the first random heroic dungeon you enter gives you special emblems for the best gear. Other heroics after the first give you different emblems can can be used for the tier 9. It is nice to not have to worry about getting a quest for the special emblems, or worrying if your friends are saved to the instance that the daily was for, because the daily doesn't exist like that anymore.

On my realm and with the realms that we would be doing dungeons with I have been very impressed so far with the people I have played with from the dungeon finder. Everyone has been friendly and helpful, even when I mess up with my healing they are nice about it. So not everything is bad with the system, and I just consider myself very lucky.

Largely the game still seems much the same as before, but I do admit that now that the gear has gotten even better than before now with the new dungeons and raids the older content seems to be getting easier and eaiser, but I guess that is to be expected. Now I get to see how long I can play before I get burnt out and pissed at the gear grind before I leave again.

• kingtommyboykingtommyboy Member Posts: 543

Originally posted by XKhallusX

is it too late to even start wow? i have honestly never played it past the trial but am thinking about trying it again since i dont have anything else to play. obviously the game is top heavy which is no problem. but im wondering how hard it would be to get geared up to start casual raiding.

planning on playing a hunter, i know i know ... huntard. but i can't help it the archer class always has appealed to me in MMOs.

It is never too late to start wow, just start and lvl up. The low lvl zones are a bid empty, but there are always people lvling alts or even new players like you, so it won't be like you won't see people between lvl 1 and 80 ;-) with the dungeonfinder tool ( in my opinion one of the best features blizz ever released for wow) you can find groups for low lvl dungeons. But if you want to play in the revamped world with looooots of new players, then wait until cataclysm comes out. A lot of people (like myself) will start to reroll new toons.

When your 80, getting geared for raiding isn't that hard, just start doing dungeons, there are quite a lot of them. And I personally don't get bored so fast of wow dungeons, some are pretty cool actually. (I left because I got burned out of the immaturity of the community on my server, but there are also a lot of mature people) And after that you can start doing 10  man raids, to get raid gear (wow's endgame is indeed a geargrind). Don't expect you will immidiatly get into a raidguild or a pug group. Even casual raiding guild ask pretty pimped gear. And for PUG's you mostly need achivements (they ask mostly people who already have done that raid) to get into them. But you can get into PUG's if you know some people, or with your eventual guildmates, or you can just copy paste someone else his achievement :p, PUG leaders don't check those in detail :p .. Annyway after a bid of work you will get into raids and you will get your geat and you can find friendly mature raidingguilds (yes, they exist!) And after that you can start with 25 man raids! and grind your gear over there... and so on ^^

And there is nothing wrong with a hunter, If you wanna get into a raid or party, just try to get your dps as high as possible.

goodluck!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    waiting for ... nothing..

• vladakovvladakov Member Posts: 710

you gotta be kidding me, right?

• TsathogguaTsathoggua Member Posts: 100

If you feel like starting anew-- you should roll a character on Llane.

If I can recover my account (got hacked), then I'll be restarting on that server.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

IMO.. save your money, and go sub to EQ2..  I left WoW because after 4 years, it was truely END game for me.. Waiting around to do a raid, or doing a daily for the 1 millionth time was the END..   I and others have since moved to EQ2, and so glad I gave SOE another chance of redemption from years ago.. The changes to EQ2 are great, and I see myself playing that game for a very long time.  It definately is more challenging and mmo'ish then WoW..  If you do the Station Pass, you'll definately get the best value for your dollar as you can play so many games for one price..

have a great day :)

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

The structure of WOW is as follows:

leveling - always easy .. either quest or dungeon.

last tier of raid loot - accessible through random heroics

current tier of raid loot

entry level - accessible but may take long time (251now)

standard level - requires raiding (264)

high level - difficult .. need a good guild/group to do it (277)

• XKhallusXXKhallusX Member Posts: 31

Originally posted by nariusseldon

The structure of WOW is as follows:

leveling - always easy .. either quest or dungeon.

last tier of raid loot - accessible through random heroics

current tier of raid loot

entry level - accessible but may take long time (251now)

standard level - requires raiding (264)

high level - difficult .. need a good guild/group to do it (277)

LOL i have no idea what those numbers mean.

• slimmifireslimmifire Member Posts: 18

What level the item is.

• TaoMcDohlTaoMcDohl Member UncommonPosts: 103

Here's the thing about WoW:  If you like what WoW offered, go back.  

WoW continues to refine itself into a more efficient machine of what WoW is all about: end-game raiding.  As the game progresses, so too does the accessibility of end-game raid content.  In Cataclysm, 10 man and 25 man content will drop the exact same gear.  

Wrath of the Lich King has brought some fine tools to get on the "rides."  That's how, IMO, one should approach WoW.  WoW is no game to look for immersion.  It's an amusement park, and people get on the ride and see a story played out in front of them.  With this in mind, aspects such as the value of travel and the need to create an organic world are tossed out the window.  This is where tools like the new dungeon finder come in.  If your bag is running instances, playing the gear metagame, and checking out end game content, the dungeon finder will help.  Blizzard finally got a LFG tool right with the dungeon finder.

Achievements will give you something to do, if you're interesting in achievements.  They give no rewards (save for a very select few), and they're mostly for bragging rights or just fun.   Dailies are still the same, and PVP is up and down.  Blizzard has suggested that Wintergrasp (the public PVP battleground) didn't turn out as they wished.  

I do not suggest listening to those who claim EQ2 is better than WoW, or other games.  You've played WoW, you know what the beast is.  EQ2 offers a different set of pros and cons.  If WoW is something you enjoy, then you will really enjoy Northrend.  For anyone looking to start fresh, jumping in right might cause you to be caught in the middle of the Cataclysm launch.

I've played WoW for many years (though now I play LotRO), and I've played EQ2 (and countless other MMOs).  Don't let anyone tell you that one game is "better" than the other.  It's all about what you want out of the game.