Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Intel P55 chip work with ati video cards ?

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Before and I go upgrade I had some people tell me there have been issues with intel chipset working with ati cards. I was wondering if anyone knew how true this is and if not why do they say this ? Thanks!

Comments

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

ya it works just fine.  People have some delusion that since older intel boards only support SLI, they get bottlenecked when you use an ATI board.  Its totally untrue and vice-versa, running an nVidia video board on an AMD Crossfire motherboard is completely do-able.

actually, many newer intel motherboards support both SLI and Crossfire.. so go figure.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Uhm, why should it? 

I have not heard of any problem there. ATIs drivers do sometimes needs tweaking and that was probably your friends problem, if he had a AMD processor he would have had the same issue.

There are some rumors about Crossfire not working as well on Intel motherboards but that was a few years ago if the problem even existed and it doesn't sound to me like you are planning to have more than one card anyways.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Intel has a much closer relationship with ATI in partnering with chipsets then nVidia.  nVidia has been adverse to working with Intel at getting sli to work with their chipset.  ATI on the other hand has been onboard for generations with crossfire.  Considering AMD and Intels cross-patent agreement, its also much easier for Intel to build a chipset around ATIs GPU.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Cleffy

Intel has a much closer relationship with ATI in partnering with chipsets then nVidia.  nVidia has been adverse to working with Intel at getting sli to work with their chipset.  ATI on the other hand has been onboard for generations with crossfire.  Considering AMD and Intels cross-patent agreement, its also much easier for Intel to build a chipset around ATIs GPU.

Benchtests have not proven that NVidia or ATI runs better or worse with Intel or AMD. Or if they do it is so little that it is hard to measure.

• sn0wblind00sn0wblind00 Member UncommonPosts: 388

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Before and I go upgrade I had some people tell me there have been issues with intel chipset working with ati cards. I was wondering if anyone knew how true this is and if not why do they say this ? Thanks!

I run a 5770 on a i5 and it is fine.  Only issues I can occasionally have stem from my dual monitors, and the issue is related to crappy ATI drivers and has nothing to do with compatability with intel on some level.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Originally posted by sn0wblind00

Originally posted by SaintViktor

I run a 5770 on a i5 and it is fine.  Only issues I can occasionally have stem from my dual monitors, and the issue is related to crappy ATI drivers and has nothing to do with compatability with intel on some level.

Ok that is good to know because now i Know what I'l be getting for my pc. I plan to get a ATI 5850 1gbmem and I already have a 700w psu so it sounds like I will be ok. I also have an I5- 750 as well, right now I currently have a Geforce GT240 card.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Cleffy

Benchtests have not proven that NVidia or ATI runs better or worse with Intel or AMD. Or if they do it is so little that it is hard to measure.

Run a nVidia on an ATI Chipset, run an ATI on a nVidia Chipset.  There is a difference.  However, I was not talking about speed difference.  I was referencing that ATI will work on Intel Chipsets without hinderance because of greater cooperation between the 2 entities since some posts earlier might have made it seem like ATI would not pair well on an Intel.