Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well I THOUGHT I was going to buy this game...

So this weekend I download and play the AoC trial. Going through Tortage was actually one of the coolest starting experiences I've had in an MMO. Really enjoyed the storytelling of it, the plot itself, the sort-of-dialogue reminiscent of Dragon Age/Mass Effect, and the overall feel of the game. I even went to my local game store today while out running errands with plans to purchase a box copy, but found none so made plans to purchase online.

 

Well, then I finish the solo quest story and go into the Daytime mode, picking up some worthless low-level quests to do on the White Sands place.

 

Then I show up there (at level 13) and am immediately ganked by a pair of 18s just hanging around. Well, I'd heard about the nonsensical PvP-ganking that happens in AoC, so that wasn't unexpected. What I didn't expect was to spend the next 10 minutes getting repeatedly spawn ganked by pretty much anyone who was at least 3 levels higher than me.

 

Among my associates there is a stigma surrounding AoC players--that they are mostly a bunch of mouth-breathing asshat gankers. I don't really believe this is 100% true. My single-player experience in the game was great, Funcom did a fantastic job bringing a world to life and integrating entertaining and fast-paced gameplay with an interesting and dramatic story.

 

However, given my first 10 minutes in multiplayer, I'm having a hard time shaking the feeling that AoC is a fantastic game world populated solely by morons.

 

Someone please tell me the game isn't ruined by its players? I really liked the game itself, it would be a shame if it turned out to be a great online game--as long as you're not around other people.

 

NOTE: I have two EVE accounts and am not a stranger to getting ruthlessly ganked by other players, so don't bother telling me to "LRN2PVP". I'm just wanting to know if the game is even playable--as in my experience, it wasn't.

Currently playing: LOTRO, Guild Wars 2.
Have played: EVE Online; Champions Online; Age of Conan; City of Heroes/Villains; Star Wars Galaxies (pre-CU, pre-NGE); World of Warcraft (Vanilla to Cataclysm); Hellgate: London; Warhammer Online; Lord of the Rings Online; Vanguard: Saga of Heroes; Star Wars: The Old Republic
Wishlist: Mass Effect Online

«1

Comments

  • Cpt_PicardCpt_Picard Member Posts: 300

    I initially had that problem when I rolled on the rp pvp server. I simply rerolled on a pve server and it was smooth sailing from there.

    Make it so...

  • ZeletorZeletor Member Posts: 150

    Originally posted by Cpt_Picard

    I initially had that problem when I rolled on the rp pvp server. I simply rerolled on a pve server and it was smooth sailing from there.

    Yeah I consider doing this as well except the group I am hoping to play with are on a PvP server... :(

    BTW, love the "four lights" reference! awesome episode

    Currently playing: LOTRO, Guild Wars 2.
    Have played: EVE Online; Champions Online; Age of Conan; City of Heroes/Villains; Star Wars Galaxies (pre-CU, pre-NGE); World of Warcraft (Vanilla to Cataclysm); Hellgate: London; Warhammer Online; Lord of the Rings Online; Vanguard: Saga of Heroes; Star Wars: The Old Republic
    Wishlist: Mass Effect Online

  • ZzuluZzulu Member Posts: 452

    Not sure what your problem is. Roll on a PVE server?

     

    Be warned though that Tortage is special and that once you leave, it becomes a much more standard MMO.

  • OotiniOotini Member Posts: 13

    Do remember that since you are on the trial, there are fairly large number of players who build up characters to level 20 or so in Tortage and can play them forever for free.  

    I'm not saying for sure that you will experience anything different once you are out of Tortage and into the world where the dedicated players are, but I would be willing to bet you that you will see a larger crowd of asshats where you currently reside.

     I kind of see it as the whole "twink" nonsense from WoW.   You can't level much higher than about 23-25 (Even that is rough to do given the highest level of monsters in Tortage) given that limit, players can reach the "top" so to speak pretty quickly and thus feel good about themselves by not being outmatched very often at all.

  • TsukieUTsukieU Member Posts: 559

    Honestly no...the game never really ever gets, 'better'.  You are always going to run into that sort of nonsense through the whole thing.  But you just become more adept at avoiding or dealing with it.  It's not quite unlike EVE, if EVE started you in nullsec space.

     

    So if you have the fortitude to stick it out, it's a fun experience sometimes, but it's also smattered with more negative ones than positive ones.  If you are going to have a problem with that, I'd suggest going to the PVE server.  Especially since Cimmeria is now the defacto Tyranny.

    Mne eto nado kak zuby v zadnitse.

  • ZeletorZeletor Member Posts: 150

    Originally posted by Ootini

    Do remember that since you are on the trial, there are fairly large number of players who build up characters to level 20 or so in Tortage and can play them forever for free.  

    I'm not saying for sure that you will experience anything different once you are out of Tortage and into the world where the dedicated players are, but I would be willing to bet you that you will see a larger crowd of asshats where you currently reside.

     I kind of see it as the whole "twink" nonsense from WoW.   You can't level much higher than about 23-25 (Even that is rough to do given the highest level of monsters in Tortage) given that limit, players can reach the "top" so to speak pretty quickly and thus feel good about themselves by not being outmatched very often at all.

    Twink comparison makes sense. I mean I honestly don't mind open PvP, I just don't like the idea of grinding 80 levels of gankdom to the level that I saw on Isle of White Sands. If the rest of the game is more reasonable (i.e. open PvP but not folks hanging around at an articial level cap just picking on noobs), then I'll probably give it a shot at least for a month. And like someone else mentioned, having a good guild to back you up may be part of the solution.

     

    And of course the learning curve, learning to survive in AoC has got to be similar to learning to survive in low-sec/null-sec in EVE.

    Currently playing: LOTRO, Guild Wars 2.
    Have played: EVE Online; Champions Online; Age of Conan; City of Heroes/Villains; Star Wars Galaxies (pre-CU, pre-NGE); World of Warcraft (Vanilla to Cataclysm); Hellgate: London; Warhammer Online; Lord of the Rings Online; Vanguard: Saga of Heroes; Star Wars: The Old Republic
    Wishlist: Mass Effect Online

  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

    I played a lot of MMOs and whenever you are on a PvP server this things happens. While there are some nice players with a good ethical code most people seems to be gankers.

    Sorry but if you want something different you have to make a PvE char. You can still do minigames,, borderland PvP and sieges, but you wont be ganked.

    I am afraid that the same thing will happen in any similar games, the PvP server attracts a certain type of people while the rest who rolls there moves to PvE fast. 

  • Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

    Roll on a PVE server.

    If you want PVP, play Darkfall.

    image

  • SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

    PvP will never be like it was when UO first launched.

     

    Where people would actually stand around in a dangerous area and not gank each other. Where people would go into a dungeon, see someone fighting a monster and not backstab him.

     

    Those were the early days and only a particular audience, when with some kind of gaming morality. Now MMOs have become more mainstream and attract a wider age range.

     

    In modern times there will never exist another FFA PvP that isn't completely full of ganking, and ganking people far beneath themselves. The type of people those games now attract are those who find enjoyment in griefing players, not in the challenge of PvP.

     

    I remember the early days of UO where someone would get mad at someone else (often me because I played a thief) and they would start attacking them. There would be a good 10-15 people there just watching the thrill of combat and not joining in for a quick gank. The fights would be challenging and entertaining to the people involved and to those who watched.

     

    Now a days it is just "hey let's gank the newbie, roflcopter, lawlcats" and nobody enjoys the honor of a fair, face to face, fight anymore.

     

    Stick to PvE server on all games and just duel with people if the option is there, or do the opt in pvp zones if they have them. There is no FFA PvP server in any game worth the annoyances.

  • rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

    Yeah - this sort of behavior is expected on most pvp servers of games.  The only pve server I ever play on anymore is UO's siege - which has a very great community with great rpers.

    AoC pvp servers (and most pve games with pvp servers) are filled with patrons no different than a candy store (people looking for a quick, sweet sugary induglence).

  • BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

    ill be honest,

     

    when it comes to being new to the game and what class you play,  it boils down to having a group to work with.

     

    no group,  free kill,   free kill, frustrated player.

     

    AOC lives and dies by group play and explotation of  new players,  new players will automatically be placed as free targets to those with the pvp mentality of  "a good win is when the opposing side has no chance of fighting back"  Thats AOC's mantra,  much like any other MMO, 

    BUT.

    but difference is that from lvl 1 all the way up to 80 you are going to be feeling that same fustration until you join a notable guild that works together and fights together.

     

    Solo is asking for trouble, no matter how you slice it,  unless your a masochist.

    Also,

    for you being a eve player, theres no need to say anything about situational awareness or any of that,  but  as far as the rp-pvp server goes (or pvp server)  it is home to the 4 chan kitties. trolling is praised and logic is shunned, but again...that can be said in other mmos, but the thing is,  IT is in AOC.

     

    if you wish to continue playing AOC but on a pvp server,  be prepared to have a long long long long ignore list,  turn off global because you wont find anything remotely useful.

     

  • somonekilwowsomonekilwow Member UncommonPosts: 96

    OP you are aware that there's pvp guilds specifically for white sands pvp and will gank you on sight. You will just have to deal with it, and once you finally get out of tortage it's going to open up.

    <iframe src="http://www.wowarmory.com/character-model-embed.xml?r=Malorne&cn=Ashkin&rhtml=true"; scrolling="no" height="588" width="321" frameborder="0"></iframe>

  • swollenwabitswollenwabit Member Posts: 107

    Originally posted by Zeletor

    So this weekend I download and play the AoC trial. Going through Tortage was actually one of the coolest starting experiences I've had in an MMO. Really enjoyed the storytelling of it, the plot itself, the sort-of-dialogue reminiscent of Dragon Age/Mass Effect, and the overall feel of the game. I even went to my local game store today while out running errands with plans to purchase a box copy, but found none so made plans to purchase online.

     

    Well, then I finish the solo quest story and go into the Daytime mode, picking up some worthless low-level quests to do on the White Sands place.

     

    Then I show up there (at level 13) and am immediately ganked by a pair of 18s just hanging around. Well, I'd heard about the nonsensical PvP-ganking that happens in AoC, so that wasn't unexpected. What I didn't expect was to spend the next 10 minutes getting repeatedly spawn ganked by pretty much anyone who was at least 3 levels higher than me.

     

    Among my associates there is a stigma surrounding AoC players--that they are mostly a bunch of mouth-breathing asshat gankers. I don't really believe this is 100% true. My single-player experience in the game was great, Funcom did a fantastic job bringing a world to life and integrating entertaining and fast-paced gameplay with an interesting and dramatic story.

     

    However, given my first 10 minutes in multiplayer, I'm having a hard time shaking the feeling that AoC is a fantastic game world populated solely by morons.

     

    Someone please tell me the game isn't ruined by its players? I really liked the game itself, it would be a shame if it turned out to be a great online game--as long as you're not around other people.

     

    NOTE: I have two EVE accounts and am not a stranger to getting ruthlessly ganked by other players, so don't bother telling me to "LRN2PVP". I'm just wanting to know if the game is even playable--as in my experience, it wasn't.

    AoC is a harsh game as in players have the most fucked up view of what world PvP is. The core issue in aoc is the size of the areas, they are not big enough to support FFA world pvp well enough. I have leveled all my chars on a PvE server, it takes patience and time, but when I came back to the game now I transferred my BS to a PvE server. PVp servers are for the eu players imo not good, the mentality there is just rubbish. You will have people jumping you on low health when fighting mobs, and they will wait for you to go on low health to make sure they get the kill. There is gank groups who just want to gank you over and over for the fun of it. I do like world PvP, but I also like world PvP where I have a realistic chance of either getting away or standing toe to toe with the people I fight.

    Loved DFO for it's world PvP, and comparing those 2 games it's obvious AoC world PvP is not good at all. 

  • RhowinRhowin Member Posts: 36

    Since I enjoy the general idea of open PVP I rolled as well on a pvp server. I was about to give up but eventually simply asked if a few others would care to join a group for questing. You can enter all quest zones in 'epic' - the npc monsters will have adjusted HP/damage/XP for questing groups - the quests remain the same. We had a few pvp encounters there as well but that was usually between two quest groups and real fun. Since many starting players will face the same problems and there is a plenty of them around currently it should take no time finding such group.

    (and with any addon / new release of a game the worst kind of player seems to find a way on any open-pvp game - eventually everything is a bit more normal again)

  • mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

    AOC could probably do a better job of notifying noobs that PVP is unrestricted in this game and what to expect rolling on a PVP server. And players could do a better of of helping to retain newbs by not running them off. But you can either have total freedom or none. People who dont want to PVP against their will shouldnt roll on a PVP server. Thats all there is to it.

  • majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

    Ganking and camping is PvP. If you roll on a PvP server, you say "I don't mind it". If you dislike beeing ganked and camped more than that doing the same on others would even this out, then you better don't play on PvP servers.

    Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

    Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

  • SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

    PvP will never be like it was when UO first launched.

     Where people would actually stand around in a dangerous area and not gank each other. Where people would go into a dungeon, see someone fighting a monster and not backstab him.

     

    What server were you on?  I got smashed by one shotting tank mages, archers, macers, packs...  Maybe you played Tamriel?  Anyway yes PvP is a gank fest.  Some people actually enjoy the rush of being hunted.  Not me.

  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,606

    Yep, they're probably Demo griefers.  Playing for free and mucking things up for others genuinely interested in the game.  Gotta love the anonymity of them internets...

  • neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

    i had a blast getting people killed in pve games like eq1 back in the day, that was the best part of monk, getting as much aggroe as you could outrun to chase ya, finding an enemy faction noob you couldnt hit since it was a pve game but his guards hated you so you hated him, and then playing dead next to him while he fought, whammo 10 extra orcs!  noob down, xp lost, laughs to be had!

  • greymanngreymann Member Posts: 757

    I haven't bought yet either.  Trying different classes on pvp and pve servers.  Playing my 17-19 conq on white sands does suck.  Using ignore alot after gank / taunts.  Word I'm getting is that pvp games are still fun and numerous on pve servers.  I might not be as skilled in pvp at 80 not having to pvp while leveling but we're all in the same boat.  They say wiccana is nicely populated without so many asshats as tyranny.

  • ZeletorZeletor Member Posts: 150

    Well I liked the game prior to being introduced to the asshat gankers enough that I figure I can shoot $19.99 its way to have a go at the full experience for a month. I'm going to either have to meet up with my guild on Tyranny and hope that can improve things or just give up on a hopeless PvP environment that AoC seems to have bred (unfortunately) and roll on the PvE server.

    Currently playing: LOTRO, Guild Wars 2.
    Have played: EVE Online; Champions Online; Age of Conan; City of Heroes/Villains; Star Wars Galaxies (pre-CU, pre-NGE); World of Warcraft (Vanilla to Cataclysm); Hellgate: London; Warhammer Online; Lord of the Rings Online; Vanguard: Saga of Heroes; Star Wars: The Old Republic
    Wishlist: Mass Effect Online

  • mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

    For me, PVP in AOC is pointless without realtime territory control and full looting. SO I play on pve

  • sn0wblind00sn0wblind00 Member UncommonPosts: 388

    Excluding uo, I haven't played any MMO ffa pvp game that wasn't like this.  MMO players tend to only fight if they outnumber the enemy and/or outlevel/gear the enemy.  I don't think I've ever seen a fair fight.  If it is, the coward ganking-type usually runs.  FFA pvp in MMO's without consequence does not work well.

  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

    Originally posted by sn0wblind00

    Excluding uo, I haven't played any MMO ffa pvp game that wasn't like this.  MMO players tend to only fight if they outnumber the enemy and/or outlevel/gear the enemy.  I don't think I've ever seen a fair fight.  If it is, the coward ganking-type usually runs.  FFA pvp in MMO's without consequence does not work well.

    This is why I hate PvP in MMO's. It simply doesn't work unless several variables are matched, which, since being an MMO they don't most of the time!

    I call myself a carebear when playing MMO's. I don't care.

  • ShadinShadin Member CommonPosts: 294

    Happened to me a lot on the RP server I used to play... Initially it wasn't That bad but it became worse over time... I'm back now though, ingame I mean, but rerolled on the RP-PVE server.. Never been so happy to be a roleplayer tbh. ^^ I can't describe the difference^^ And if sacrificing some openworld excitement (that usually turns to camping and ganking) and some realism is the price I have to pay to have a good community, I'll pay it gladly. :)

Sign In or Register to comment.