Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scariest Game

Comments

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

The Thief series had some amazing levels...the Return to the Cathedral and the Cradles are two of the scariest moments I've ever been in gaming. For consistent nerve-wracking ambience, System Shock 2 is amazing. And as someone else mentioned, the original Alone in the Dark was fantastic as well.

I've never found the RE series to be scary or even entertaining.

<3

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Vampire the masquerade: Bloodlines. The Hotel. Anybody who has played it knows what i'm talking about. Played it again a few months ago. Even though I knew every quick time event that was going to hapen I still got very bad poopy pants. Work of genius.

• chocomallowschocomallows Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by spookydom

Vampire the masquerade: Bloodlines. The Hotel. Anybody who has played it knows what i'm talking about. Played it again a few months ago. Even though I knew every quick time event that was going to hapen I still got very bad poopy pants. Work of genius.

i did not realy scarry but it got the surprise factor on it

Originally posted by chocomallows

What do you mean you wern't scared????? you must have balls of steal!! Oh your a girl..........Yeah.......Ummmm......I wasn't scared either you know. Just thought it may be scary to....ummm....other people........ummmm (whistles and slowly walks away) image

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

What do you mean you wern't scared????? you must have balls of steal!! Oh your a girl..........Yeah.......Ummmm......I wasn't scared either you know. Just thought it may be scary to....ummm....other people........ummmm (whistles and slowly walks away) image

Sorry, but VTM:Bloodlines' hotel level really wasn't all that scary, but it was a well written segment of that game. I think Thief's 'the cradle' had more ambiant scares, as well as thoughtful hide-and-seek play, while the shock value of the scripted events were nowhere near as good as say... F.E.A.R. or something. I just think it was the highlight of that game, nothing more.

The problem was, IMO, that you are a total badass that only has to fear the blue fire and nothing else.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• Darkor_hXcDarkor_hXc Member UncommonPosts: 209

Fatal Frame Series Is a most if u wanna scare the sh!t out of you :P

Atmosphere, sounds, psychological, Asian Horror, Random Ghost appearances.

Originally posted by GTwander

Sorry, but VTM:Bloodlines' hotel level really wasn't all that scary, but it was a well written segment of that game. I think Thief's 'the cradle' had more ambiant scares, as well as thoughtful hide-and-seek play, while the shock value of the scripted events were nowhere near as good as say... F.E.A.R. or something. I just think it was the highlight of that game, nothing more.

The problem was, IMO, that you are a total badass that only has to fear the blue fire and nothing else.

You have to apreciate that diferent things effect people in deifernt way. For instance I wasn't remotly effected by F.E.A.R, I acctualy thought Doom 3 was more atmospheric.  Also, the fact that you were such a badass in Vampire for me made more of an experiance. It wasn't about fear of death. As you say your character is a total bad ass and all of a suden all these things are hapening that are outside your control. Odviously we have difern't opinions about what is frightning and thats as it should be. But don't start going round on a high horse telling people they are wrong or right. There is no wrong or right, its all subjective isn't it.

• charlespaynecharlespayne Member UncommonPosts: 381

My scariest game was condemed 1st one with the dark and the part your heading down a dark area and you turn around and there is loads of maniquins all around you and when you turn back there is more, But the atmoshpear of it makes you jump.

For instance I wasn't remotly effected by F.E.A.R, I acctualy thought Doom 3 was more atmospheric. 

Also, the fact that you were such a badass in Vampire for me made more of an experiance. It wasn't about fear of death. As you say your character is a total bad ass and all of a suden all these things are hapening that are outside your control.

I totally agree with the second part, but many of the 'hallucinations' in F.E.A.R. were absolutely tits. Not just when you'd descend a ladder, only to see Alma at the top, sending you falling to the bottom... but things like when you'd wade through a hallway full of blood and have a skeleton rise out and grab you. That was really good stuff, and a welcome break from the a-typical shooter stuff in the rest of the game.

While on the subject, I'd like to state how much I really liked F.E.A.R.'s leaning mechanic - and I wish more games would use the idea of "peering around a corner" and add a scare to that. There was plenty of ripe situations for it, but it never worked that way.

~Also, on Fatal Frame.

While the game had good ambiance and scare-factors, the thing that set it apart from other games was how close you had to let things get to you before making your move. You had to wait till the very last second to snap a powerfully damaging photo, and since ghosts would come through objects blocking their view, it made that 2wice as epic.

Oh yeah!

Creepiest game ever was Rule of Rose. Not scary, just absurdly wrong in nearly everything it supposes. Nothing gets worse than being a teenage girl fighting your way through horny goat-imps with a salad fork.

• BlazzBlazz Member Posts: 321

Doom 3...

The flashlight to see the upcoming danger, or a weapon to kill it. Not both.

Some hated that, I thought it added to the flavour of the game. Eventually, you could just live off the gun-fire lighting during fights, although some pros probably managed to use the flashlight to kill things.

Either way, that game freaked me out - I would have been about 15 at the time.

I am playing EVE and it's alright... level V skills are a bit much.

You all need to learn to spell.

• ZarcobZarcob Member Posts: 207

Originally posted by dreamscaper

The Thief series had some amazing levels...the Return to the Cathedral and the Cradles are two of the scariest moments I've ever been in gaming. For consistent nerve-wracking ambience, System Shock 2 is amazing. And as someone else mentioned, the original Alone in the Dark was fantastic as well.

Oh yeah, forgot about that.  Thief always had a scary level or two, but it was the 3rd game that really had my blood run cold on The Cradle.  I didn't care much for most of Thief 3, but god the Cradle will freak anyone out.  Zombies with cages over their heads, stumbling from room to room moaning and muttering to themselves, then rushing straight towards you if you happen to so much as bump a bottle.  That was pretty unnerving...

But the moment that really set the tone of the level came at the beginning.  It's atmospheric, very creepy, but entirely deserted when you first arrive.  I remember exploring almost the entire building with nary an unwelcome visitor in sight until I started hearing that strange banging noise coming from somewhere.  Sure enough, just as the developers likely intended, I follow the noise up to the attic room where I quickly realize the noise is someone - or something - banging away on the door from the inside.  Something wanted to get out.

Boy that really got me.  I think I turned around and left the door alone, cover the entire level about 3 times before I went finally went back and realized I couldn't advance without opening that door.  I think I must have quicksaved about 9 times before finally touching it and that single hair-raising moment set the tone for entire level to come.

The morning sun has vanquished the horrible night.

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

1)Silent hill (PSX)

2)The Suffering 1/2 (PS2)

4)Silent hill 4 (PS2)

3)Fatal Frame 3(PS2) - I dint like much of the photo thing but yep very creepy scenes.

4)Alone in the Dark 4/5 (PS2/PC)

5)Dead Space (PC)

Honor mention: Penumbra - while not THAT scary its has a very dark atmosphere and the puzzles get you so immersed its a shame the game (all 3) is too short.

"Plz grow some balls ppl" metion: F.E.A.R / Doom /Any FPS "horror"/Resident Evil 4/5. Your holding a BFG and your crapping your pants? Gordon Freeman face twice the scariest thing with a CROWBAR!!! plz go home and leave your man card at the reception.

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• laglotuslaglotus Member Posts: 43

I totally agree, good stuff. I remember I had to call my roommate to watch just so I won't ruin my pants hehe.

System Shock 2 was also quite scary back in the day.

• ZarcobZarcob Member Posts: 207

Originally posted by Kenaoshi

"Plz grow some balls ppl" metion: F.E.A.R / Doom /Any FPS "horror"/Resident Evil 4/5. Your holding a BFG and your crapping your pants? Gordon Freeman face twice the scariest thing with a CROWBAR!!! plz go home and leave your man card at the reception.

Don't be obtuse; you're evaluating manhood by who is less frightened by a scary video game?  I assume that was a crude and unfunny jest.

The difference between F.E.A.R. and a standard FPS horror title like Doom is exactly the point you brought up, that the player can't kill Alma with guns or bombs or the local BFG equivalent.  The player will go through F.E.A.R. happily blasting away at everything in sight, and then unload a clip or more into Alma and hit nothing but air.  It reinforces the point that the player is at her mercy, and that all the fancy bullets and grenades you collect don't amount to a hill of beans once Alma shows up.  Their only recourse is to flee, or at best stay alive, rather than fight head-on.  In fact the dichotomy created between the periods where players blast enemies into bits and when they're mercilessly hunted by Alma are in such striking opposition that it's easy to have your nerves frayed by the rollercoaster.

The morning sun has vanquished the horrible night.

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170

Originally posted by Zarcob

Don't be obtuse; you're evaluating manhood by who is less frightened by a scary video game?  I assume that was a crude and unfunny jest.

The difference between F.E.A.R. and a standard FPS horror title like Doom is exactly the point you brought up, that the player can't kill Alma with guns or bombs or the local BFG equivalent.  The player will go through F.E.A.R. happily blasting away at everything in sight, and then unload a clip or more into Alma and hit nothing but air.  It reinforces the point that the player is at her mercy, and that all the fancy bullets and grenades you collect don't amount to a hill of beans once Alma shows up.  Their only recourse is to flee, or at best stay alive, rather than fight head-on.  In fact the dichotomy created between the periods where players blast enemies into bits and when they're mercilessly hunted by Alma are in such striking opposition that it's easy to have your nerves frayed by the rollercoaster.

But that's the problem - this enforces the 4th wall. Anytime they tried any retarded scare tactic I was blasted out of the universe and back into my chair. This is because you damn well know Alma won't kill you - because it's a game. You don't die like that in games. Condemned on the other hand - you have to go down in that fucking dark cellar equipped only with a 2x4. The enemies hiding there will try and rip your friggin' skull of, and they WILL kill you.

FEAR and Dead Space also suffered from ripping off horror movies in their scare tactics. I've seen it all before, and every single time there was laying a body around in Dead Space I could tell if it would jump me or not - because it was simply so obvious to me. In FEAR I was busy tactically covering corners and clearing rooms when ghosts tried to get my attention lol. And when I was "forced" to see Alma it didn't mean shit because she can't do shit... it's a rule in games and it has never been broken. Alma will never kill you without a big boss fight.

I currently holding out for that new game called Amnesia.

• sanitysendsanitysend Member Posts: 123

The hotel level in VTMB was pretty scary, although I didn't jump out of my chair finding the "suprise" in the washing machine and such were pretty unnerving...

Condemned 1 was a good game, creepy to say the least.... Never played the sequel though so i can't comment on that.

You know what game always creeped the hell out of me? The Path... this twisted take on some sort of Little Red Riding Hood fantasy is not as much a game as it iks an experience... and can either be a short simple one, or something far creepier and more perverse....

Wildstar:
    Phantazm, Pago(PvP), Exiles

Guild: Socks with Sandals

Playing: Wildstar
    Retired/Tried: DCUO. The Secret World, Darkfall UW, Darkfall, Mortal Online, DDO, Rift, Fallen Earth, Aion, APB, EQ, EQ2, PoTBS, WoW, WAR, SWG, CoX, Vangaurd, CO, GW, EVE, DAoC, LotRO, SW:ToR, GW2, Dragon Nest

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

Originally posted by Jackcolt

Originally posted by Zarcob

But that's the problem - this enforces the 4th wall. Anytime they tried any retarded scare tactic I was blasted out of the universe and back into my chair. This is because you damn well know Alma won't kill you - because it's a game. You don't die like that in games. Condemned on the other hand - you have to go down in that fucking dark cellar equipped only with a 2x4. The enemies hiding there will try and rip your friggin' skull of, and they WILL kill you.

FEAR and Dead Space also suffered from ripping off horror movies in their scare tactics. I've seen it all before, and every single time there was laying a body around in Dead Space I could tell if it would jump me or not - because it was simply so obvious to me. In FEAR I was busy tactically covering corners and clearing rooms when ghosts tried to get my attention lol. And when I was "forced" to see Alma it didn't mean shit because she can't do shit... it's a rule in games and it has never been broken. Alma will never kill you without a big boss fight.

I currently holding out for that new game called Amnesia.

Exactly my point, Thank you.

They are just plain obvious, after 30 min of Doom 3 you know that after climbing the chair the will be a monster crawling behind you.

and dont take the interwebz so literally =p

And also looking for Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

Originally posted by sanitysend

Condemned 1 was a good game, creepy to say the least.... Never played the sequel though so i can't comment on that.

Condemned 1 had the most epic final boss fight in a game, ever, ever. Try to youtube it if you never seen it, you go through like 3 combat phases where after each you rip a body part off the guy and he keeps going. Being in first-person helps to that aspect.

Never got far in the sequel, but I'll never forget the original.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Oooo I can LIST some!

System Shock 2 without a doubt. This game gave me nightmares.

Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines in the haunted hotel part....god, I almost peed myself the first time in there.

Clive Barker's The Undying   virtual hell...omg that game made me feel STRESS

Jonathan Boake's Dark Fall series of games....fuuuuuck....best sound effects in any games EVAAAR

Doom 3, because the first time I played it was a Halloween night and I was all alone at home.

All of them were just creepy, creepy, creepy, with atmosphere and sounds that made me about jump out of my skin.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by laglotus

I totally agree, good stuff. I remember I had to call my roommate to watch just so I won't ruin my pants hehe.

System Shock 2 was also quite scary back in the day.

Yeah, honestly....I can't imagine anyone that really REMEMBERS the first time in the Haunted Hotel in VtMB....NOT being scared. Then on the other hand....all these people talking about F.E.A.R. being scary and it didn't scare me any more than the movie The Ring did.  Meh.  I guess different kinds of things scare different kinds of people.

But you guys list two of my top scariest here....SS2 and that part of VtMB.  There are also some other parts of VtMB that are pretty intense, imo. And SS2.....?  Well that whole game was bonkers.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• sanitysendsanitysend Member Posts: 123

OK so all this talk of VTMB made me start a new game in it and I remembered a spot that creeps me out FAR WORSE than the hotel level....

That mission where you are trying to find the bounty hunter and you track him to the prothetics lab... That british doctor who is TO HAPPY, and as you decend into his workshop, the further down you get the more sinister it starts looking... eventually finding rooms with bloodstained saws and doctor tables... looking like a mad scientists wet dream...

and then BAM he jumps out at you wielding his weapon of choice... a fucking severed arm... how fitting?

God that (short) sweet level was absolutely terrifying... creepiest atmosphere and area...

Wildstar:
    Phantazm, Pago(PvP), Exiles

Guild: Socks with Sandals

Playing: Wildstar
    Retired/Tried: DCUO. The Secret World, Darkfall UW, Darkfall, Mortal Online, DDO, Rift, Fallen Earth, Aion, APB, EQ, EQ2, PoTBS, WoW, WAR, SWG, CoX, Vangaurd, CO, GW, EVE, DAoC, LotRO, SW:ToR, GW2, Dragon Nest

• esiegeesiege Member Posts: 13

I've played most the resident evils, most the silent hills, fatal frame, fear, doom 3...

There were only a few games that really scared me...

Dark Fall Lost Souls - The tunnel vision movement and awesome feeling in in the graphical art sets you into such a trance.  And omfg the fetus monster in the sink that looks at you and makes it squishy organ noises, and searching through mutilated corpses for bones to summon a demon is just the beginning. 

Scratches - Very slow moving, the entire game takes place in a house where a researcher studied a cult of savages that used psychedelic rituals of sacrifice and torture, and the accounts that he recorded during his travels.  I wont spoil what the scratches are :).

• JagarusJagarus Member Posts: 1

Only game that I actually got a fright from is RE2 and only in the beginning of that game wandering around the police station.

One game that came out for Gamecube i think was ment to be scary, Enternal Darkness, completely messed with its players. Anyone who has played it knows what I mean. It was actually kind fun the sanity bar was a nice effect.

• KamikazegoKamikazego Member UncommonPosts: 224

I'm going for Dead Space, as well.  My friend and I were playing it and half the time I would toss the controller over to him and say "Here. You do this. I don't want to" because I like watching freaky things happen rather than be in the midst of them haha.

I like horror games in general, it's just hard to come from MMO's that are like "Well, you died... here, run back to your corpse and everything is okay!" and go to "Well, you died. That blows. Start over?" :P

• TimmeyhTimmeyh Member Posts: 166

the Silent Hill series with the broken radio