Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Introducing the 17 button Naga mouse

BedrokkBedrokk Member Posts: 2

Have you seen this beautiful baby yet?

17 buttons to program. It glows. A tangle free cord.

Here's video of it from the Razr site. I want one!

I can't think of a reason why not to get one if you're an avid mmorpg gamer

http://www.razerzone.com/getimba-share-n-win/uc7nf7m

Comments

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by Bedrokk

Maybe because some of us have toe-thumbs that cant dial a phone right, let alone manage this beast. Hell, I had a mouse with two side-buttons on it and one was set as the 'back' button for webpages. I always hit the damn thing by accident.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• BedrokkBedrokk Member Posts: 2

Haha, well from the video in the link, the guy says it's really easy to use the buttons on the side.

Also, if we can learn how to use our thumbs to hit the qwerty keyboard on our cellphones, we can definately handle 17 buttons, 12 of which are on the side for the thumb.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I have a 7 button mouse in the G5, I haven't really seen a mouse that has superceded the G5.  I am tall so I have big thumbs, probably not made for the average american.

• PlasmicredxPlasmicredx Member Posts: 629

Yeah I have one! I originally bought one for my brother for his birthday while we were playing World of Warcraft.  It was so excellent I got one for myself after. We both loved it.

The truth about the mouse, however, is that you won't be able to truly utilize ALL 12 side buttons because your thumb (our thumbs) can't reach the lower ones unless you move your hand away from the right mouse button (very bad in WoW or any game). Moving your hand at all is simply not an option so you will end up picking which buttons you want instead. Most likely the top half ones. So that is sort of a disappointment to only use 6 out of the 12. Even in that Naga review the dude is only using the first 3 rows.

Still, the ability to use key mods like button 1 can be modded with shift, ctrl, or alt, can turn those 6 buttons into 24.

You still end up using keyboard for some things in WoW but the naga makes more room for your keyboard so you can be more efficient.

The mouse also comes with the ability to make scripted macros and saves different profiles. It's also good for other games other than MMORPGs.

So only downsides to buying Razer is their stuff is expensive but very high quality. You definitely get what you pay for.

I can vouch that their other products are good as well. I have a Lycosis keyboard, a Lachesis mouse, and a Megalodon 7.1 headset which was patched for Windows 7 64bit it used to have issues. Sometimes their new products come out with issues but Razer has always patched it in driver patches afterwards. Plus their product naming system is funny.

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Bought this thing ~ 2 weeks ago and its been marvelous. Took me ~ 10 hours of getting used to the buttons. I'd advice every "novice" focusing on 1 - 9  (using the advanced NUM alt, shift, cmd -> +36 buttons HUGE improvement) cause 10 - 12 are somewhat tricky to hit. Its not just a  MMORPG mouse you can also use it for Photoshop. Done some wallpaper design with it and its been a lot faster as usual.

Did some PvP earlier (Darkfall) and it fully blasted me away combined with some neat Autoit scripts it speeds up your DMG/Healing skills in no time :-). CoD 4 (in my mind still the best one) has been a blast with this mouse by focusing fully on the movement you'll be soon lvl 55 :)

Altough there are some negatives also:

- only 5 profiles avaiable (why is that?!)

- upgrading the firmware can be a little bit tricky

- auto profile changing is a bit buggy (doesn't always work)

Hopefully they'll fix some of that with the driver update.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

how do you know which number you're hitting......and why would you need this? last time i checked tapping a key wasn't a hard task. or did the new patch make it harder? wait no they don't make patches for real life.

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Like I said takes some time getting used to it but after that you know exactly which button you're hitting.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

I've had this beast for a while now, this site has reviewed it also. I got it for darkfall and it raised my game 20% in pvp, my problem is I can't hit a number key on a normal board without looking first. I have a merc stealth which helped alot but assigning some of the keys to my mouse hand and using macros gave me an edge.

I use it playing Global Agenga now and can use keys 1-7 without a problem, I'm not a small guy (187 cm) with small hands so that's really only and excuse given by people that haven't used one in my opinion. I can use 1-6 easily with total comfort, 7-9 is a bit of a crunch and 10-12 I haven't used for playing games as it's too uncomfortable and difficult to hit it in the heat of battle.

I consider this to be an essential for online gaming now and am very pleased with it, it's well worth the money to buy Razer when it comes to a gaming mouse as they blow the competition back into the stone age in my opinion!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Originally posted by Bedrokk

Have you seen this beautiful baby yet?

17 buttons to program. It glows. A tangle free cord.

Here's video of it from the Razr site. I want one!

http://www.razerzone.com/getimba-share-n-win/uc7nf7m

yup, have one.

I'll never play another mmo without it. image

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Originally posted by Plasmicredx

The truth about the mouse, however, is that you won't be able to truly utilize ALL 12 side buttons because your thumb (our thumbs) can't reach the lower ones unless you move your hand away from the right mouse button (very bad in WoW or any game). Moving your hand at all is simply not an option so you will end up picking which buttons you want instead. Most likely the top half ones. So that is sort of a disappointment to only use 6 out of the 12. Even in that Naga review the dude is only using the first 3 rows.

That's not exactly true.

Or I should say, "your mileage may vary".

It depends on the facility in your hand/fingers as well as what feels natural.

For me I'm very much used to moving my fingers to extreme configurations as I initially majored in Classical Guitar and Harp in college/conservatory.

Anyone with similar dexterity/flexibility will be able to do this. Also, as was mentioned above, finger size doesn't have to be an issue as that also relies more on dexterity.

However, to your point, if one feels that this puts an awkward stress on their hand, especially where it causes pain or fatigue then DON'T continue unless you can train your hand to reach these buttons in a fluid yet natural way.

I would also advise to map your keys so that the buttons that fall naturally under your thumb also be the skills you use often. This way your hand can make the repetitive motions without stressing the hand in an awkward fashion.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

I bought one but returned it.  I found the number grid really easy to learn with the sticky trainers, but for whatever reason the right mouse button gave me a lot of trouble.  It seemed too short, or too narrow. 

Also, not that it matters with the number of buttons on the grid, but the top two thumb buttons usually used for forward and back on browsers couldnt really be used with your thumb.  Actually I felt it was totally impracticle and either needed to be relocated or removed completely.

I can see why a lot of folks like it, it just seemed to be more of a game controller and less of a game mouse.  Also, it really didnt benefit me since I already use a Nostromo and have more functions programmed on that gamepad then what could program on a complete keyboard and just use one hand.

• NightCloakNightCloak Member UncommonPosts: 452

I got one of these and love it.

I have smallish hands and have no problem using the side buttons.

I also dont have an issue with using the two index finger buttons. I easily navigate forward and backward in webpages with them.

Its a niche mouse. Not for everyone but great for those that want it and can use it.

I also tend to have no standard posture in which I use the computer or play games. I can hold a mouse claw-like or flat without issue.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Oh yeah. I've had mine for a while now, and I'm totally in love with the thing.

Originally got it for Darkfall, but I've used it in a shitload of games since then.

Playing Age Of Conan with it now...and it pwns face.

I CAN actually use all the buttons without too much trouble at all. I wouldn't put something I had to get to in a hurry on 11 or 12, but I do use them.

I also find that the "forward and back" browser buttons are best used with the side of my index finger, instead of my thumb. Gotten quite used to that now.

But Hell yeah, this was one of my best buys for gaming gear. I can't picture myself playing anything without it.