Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for an MMO like "The World"

jg0530jg0530 Member Posts: 47

So I throw this topic out every once in a while, more now just to see the responces...I'm looking for an MMO similar to "The World" from the .hack series.

By that I'm looking for:

Very diverse character classes and a lot of customization.

HIGH population of active players and a strong community.

Mostly PvE with PvP on the side if you want to.

F2P/P2P either way is fine. If F2P with cash shop, no game breaking uber swords or full heal mega pots.

Fun combat, flash skills ect.

NOT A WOW CLONE. I hate WoW and all it's many wannabe's.

Somewhat new (i.e. last 8-10 months maybe?) this only because I follow a lot of MMO's so I know a lot of the majors ones are not for me..

Please don't suggest; DDO, EvE (no idea why anyone would haha)

I'm playing FEZ now and loving it, but the majority of the players are uncoordinated idiots, so LF new game =/

Comments

• TanonTanon Member UncommonPosts: 176

Perfect World is the closest thing to "The World" out on the market right now. While there are 'full heal mega pots', they are also easily affordable for high level players and the whole combat system (at higher levels) revolves around said 'pots'. Easy to acquire and fairly cheap, so you don't need to worry about dishing out cash for them. Flashy skills, definitely. Fun combat, arguable. It nearly fits every other criteria if you play on a PvE server though.

• jg0530jg0530 Member Posts: 47

Hmm, bump 'cause that can't be the only option =(

• AlysenMinaseAlysenMinase Member Posts: 361

Phantasy Star Universe. It's set in Hubs (planets) like .hack's Worlds. The combat is fast paced and fun and there are 3 main classes with more sub classes. Customization is just like The World, you pick your character's clothes and that shows on your character besides armour. The expansion added PVP. It's not new however, but IMO this matches The World more than any other game besides the .hack games themselves lol.

Edit-I just checked the website, since I was going to try it again, but it seems the PC/PS2 servers are closing down today -_- The only servers that will remain is the 360 ones.

Playing - EVE, Wurm

Retired - Final Fantasy XI, Anarchy Online, Mabinogi

Waiting - ArcheAge, Salem

• pyrocrazypyrocrazy Member Posts: 65

Anyone know how the 360 servers are doing? are they populated? I have a 360 so im curious =P

• AlysenMinaseAlysenMinase Member Posts: 361

Going by the servers, they're doing pretty good. Not bustling like release, but the party size limit is 6 anyways, and you'll definetly find a whole party each time you log in.

Playing - EVE, Wurm

Retired - Final Fantasy XI, Anarchy Online, Mabinogi

Waiting - ArcheAge, Salem

• voiicuvoiicu Member Posts: 37

Originally posted by jg0530

HIGH population of active players and a strong community.

With the exception of this i would strongly suggest you try Ryzom.

21 day free trial and only a 10 dollar sub. 

The game is far and away from a WoW clone. Skill based leveling with a high point on the PvE content, mobs have a serious Ai to them even some of the herbivores will follow you around like a puppy, all random. 

Anyhow with a free trial why not try it ?

• GigachipGigachip Member UncommonPosts: 35

This is very good question, been looking for one myself. I'll have to check out some of the ones listed here though. Keep the options coming!

Originally posted by AlysenMinase

Phantasy Star Universe. It's set in Hubs (planets) like .hack's Worlds. The combat is fast paced and fun and there are 3 main classes with more sub classes. Customization is just like The World, you pick your character's clothes and that shows on your character besides armour. The expansion added PVP. It's not new however, but IMO this matches The World more than any other game besides the .hack games themselves lol.

Edit-I just checked the website, since I was going to try it again, but it seems the PC/PS2 servers are closing down today -_- The only servers that will remain is the 360 ones.

I actually played PSU on and off since launch for exactly that reason! I did digital download Phantasy Star: Portable 2 for the PSP and I have to say after this I can't possibly go back to PSU haha...maybe to try out the PvP...

• Deviant18Deviant18 Member Posts: 8

WOW! lol I thought I was the only one who had ever thought of looking for a game like this... maybe there will be one someday, there probably isnt one due to the massive amounts of data needed to create a game like the world. Haha but I have been dreaming of making such a game, lol to be honest I have been jotting down all my ideas for a game like the world after playing .hack G.U. I became dedicated to creating this game lol hopefully after my programming and gaming courses in college I will one day make that game, but in the mean time I would also like to know if there is infact a game close to "The World" hope so it would be amazing to find one just close to it image

• pyrocrazypyrocrazy Member Posts: 65

lol kind of semi-ressing this thread just cuz I love its topic

• flydowntomeflydowntome Member Posts: 106

Sad thing was there actually was one in japan, .hack//fragment. Never made it to the states.

Ironically the best bet for you is Final Fantasy XI. It's party based, has the japanese style, almost entirely PvP except for ballista, and has over 20 classes with subjobs available. It's community was very good when I left. The game hasn't much longer though, so I'd try the free trial.

edit: not sure if its online, but if Monster Hunter: Tri is for the Wii, this is probably as close as you'd get to the style of the hack games.

Necro-bumping...seems like Final Fantasy XIV isn't really the game I was hoping for. Anything new come out that I've missed? All I've played since CB is FFXIV and Fantasy Earth Zero (which I still love).

• thecrapthecrap Member Posts: 433

why dnt you try uncharted waters online can think of anything else where you can almost become anything you want

• Whatever420Whatever420 Member Posts: 7

Saga of Ryzom is nothing but pve, nothing but grinding on mobs all day long no quests or instances, and the population aint high eitha

• FoxkounFoxkoun Member Posts: 96

a worthy thing to look up. me? I'd kill for an mmorpg where player choices and actions actually mattered. player contribution to the rise/fall of a city or region, development of items & equipment. to me that would kick ass, take lunch money, and feel goood. all these pre-fab cities don't cut it anymore.