Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zoning

2»

Comments

• FalfeirFalfeir Member UncommonPosts: 492

Originally posted by Sykomyke

...you simply cannot find a high quality major MMO that isn't persistant.  So using the term "persistant" to describe them would be rather redundant don't you think?  It's just naturally become something that is expected of MMO's, maybe this is where our confusion comes from, because nowadays persistant is a redundant description and therefore (at least to me and a few of my friends) is interchangable with seamless....

normally, for any other game, you are right; but for gw2, the way gw1 was, when they say it will be persistant it can and probably mean persistant. Also being seamless is kinda a bragging right, i dont think any company would pass the opportunity on that one if their game is seamless by using the term persistant.

I need more vespene gas.

• SykomykeSykomyke Member Posts: 116

Originally posted by Falfeir

...you simply cannot find a high quality major MMO that isn't persistant.  So using the term "persistant" to describe them would be rather redundant don't you think?  It's just naturally become something that is expected of MMO's, maybe this is where our confusion comes from, because nowadays persistant is a redundant description and therefore (at least to me and a few of my friends) is interchangable with seamless....

normally, for any other game, you are right; but for gw2, the way gw1 was, when they say it will be persistant it can and probably mean persistant. Also being seamless is kinda a bragging right, i dont think any company would pass the opportunity on that one if their game is seamless by using the term persistant.

True,  they would definitely use the term as a marketing tool.  But I wouldn't put it past any devloper company to not use any and all marketing tools they have to gain attention.  My main dismay isn't going to come from whether it's seamless or not, but the "Public Dynamic quest" system.  I'm a little worried that it might turn into WAR's PQ system, but we can leave that discussion for that thread.

~~Internet gaming is not for the faint of heart or the dumb of mind.~~

• LazerouLazerou Member Posts: 202

I find it humorous that you think I'm having a spaz attack. Irritated? Yes. Spazzing. Not even close. I understand exactly what you, and he are saying. My point was that terms change and adjust based on evolving trends within industries. If you read my previous statement instead of trying to "one-up" me you'll see that I already stated that you simply cannot find a high quality major MMO that isn't persistant. So using the term "persistant" to describe them would be rather redundant don't you think? It's just naturally become something that is expected of MMO's, maybe this is where our confusion comes from, because nowadays persistant is a redundant description and therefore (at least to me and a few of my friends) is interchangable with seamless. It's kind of like carbonated beverages. In the south/southeast US it's referred to as coke, in the north/northwest it's reffered to as pop, in the far west/southwest it's called soda.

As for seamless, again, I spent 10 seconds reading their site and they said it wil be "heavily" instanced. Since the devlopers have stated time and time again they are moving away from the "grab quest, go here, kill stuff, come back" model of gaming, and that the entire idea behind their philosphies is to create dynamically changing zones that are based upon how NPC's and Players are interacting with each other, I would say that there's an extremely STRONG chance of it not being seamless and being very similar to GW1 in terms of each zone having a loading screen. And honestly, I don't mind. Who cares if it has a loading screen? I won't deny that they are slightly annoying if placed too frequently, but each developer has their own method of trying to deliver their vision to the customer (You).

But being persistent really is a big selling point. Sure pretty much all games are like that now but it is worth pointing out - especially with a number of the other things they have mentioned (someone said on these boards that they don't think this dynamic questing system will work properly unless your game is different from everyone else's - ie you have a separate shard, which kind of defeats the MM part of the MMORPG). So yeah it is definitely worth mentioning the game will be like the standard persistent games, just to reassure some people.

WoW is heavily instanced, hell that's pretty much all people do these days. And yet it is still seamless.

Really there are no drawbacks to being seamless, yet I see a few for each zone being instanced. I really don't see there being any need to have world zones being instanced. To me (and I am not a programmers toenail) it seems like poor programming if they need to do this when other games do not.

They seem to be wanting to create a world rather than a game. Honestly the games that do this do tend to work much better and have much better longevity than the MMOs that are made specifically to be a game and the world is simply the necessary framework in which to do it. And in my opinion if you want to create a world then it has to be seamless (with the exception of instanced dungeons and the like).

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Where did they say that it would be seamless? All I've read that the areas will be bigger. Until I see a link, this "seamless" thing is just some fan's hopeful speculation.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Originally posted by Quirhid

Where did they say that it would be seamless? All I've read that the areas will be bigger. Until I see a link, this "seamless" thing is just some fan's hopeful speculation.

Reading the posts in a thread before posting is generally a good idea. Try just reading the first one.

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

@lazerou

Quirhid means "they" as ANET devs. he's saying, as i am, that ANET never mentioned the word "seamless" pertaining to the world map in any official GW2 article

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

Originally posted by illyana

@lazerou

Quirhid means "they" as ANET devs. he's saying, as i am, that ANET never mentioned the word "seamless" pertaining to the world map in any official GW2 article

Right which is why the OP was actually asking if anyone knew of a dev statement where they did say it was seamless. It's all there in the first few posts.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Originally posted by Lazerou

@lazerou

Right which is why the OP was actually asking if anyone knew of a dev statement where they did say it was seamless. It's all there in the first few posts.

So it IS hopeful speculation.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Originally posted by Quirhid

Originally posted by Lazerou

@lazerou

So it IS hopeful speculation.

No it was a question, but anyway... on with the show.

• LeononaLeonona Member UncommonPosts: 225

Look at the middle of this screenshot in the background you see something round and kind of glowing. If you played GW1, you know what that could be.

• SykomykeSykomyke Member Posts: 116

That?  It COULD be a zoning portal...possibly.  They could also have zones in their alpha/beta tests just to make things easier...you never know.  it could also be an instance (of some sorts).

~~Internet gaming is not for the faint of heart or the dumb of mind.~~

• szebing7szebing7 Member Posts: 12

There will be loading screens, but perhaps less than GW1 because maps will be larger etc. World will be persistent but im not sure how seamless it will be. I dont care. Playing with friends, meeting ppl outside towns. Soloable. No grinding. To me thats perfect.

• aithieelaithieel Member Posts: 232

I don't mind zoning. In GW it wasn't that bad as some pepole say.