Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can we get some people into the Game? (Poll)

Comments

• paulrgodpaulrgod Member UncommonPosts: 240

Originally posted by Afrodo

I just might do that paul its almost done updating so i will be on shortly. My toon on the pve server is only 13 so it wont be to much of aloss to move over to the pvp server. i look foward to playing this again. I will look you up as soon as i get on m8 ;)

Nice one - i'll not be on for around an hour and half - stuck at work... obviously very busy :D   ssshhhhh dont tell my boss!

• merv808merv808 Member UncommonPosts: 511

I love how all the poll options involving not liking the game are insulting.

I liked the characters in spellborn, i liked the world. I didn't like the combat. No, I didn't find it to be too complex, I just didn't like it. I also don't like the lack of gear.

ultimately, i just don't think the game was interesting enough. It is definitely different, but i am not among those that thinks everything in MMOs is broken

• GamerAeonGamerAeon Member Posts: 567

I'm busy at work too don't tell his lol

MY boss knows what I'm up to and has given me permission to do it his superiors have no idea though and frankly as far as I care the big boss doesn't need to know and the one above him and kiss my...well you get the picture.

I may hop on later as AeonStrife on the PvE or AeonsShroud my two nice characters left over from days gone by...so long ago.

You must've not played long enough because about Rank 8 you start getting some nice things to use.

The only stat items you were truly concerned with were Sigils

• jason6078jason6078 Member UncommonPosts: 25

I was there at beta/launch.  What really turned me off was the all the bunny hopping during pvp.  Has this aspect of pvp combat changed?   My lag (or lack of skill) made it nearly impossible to hit someone during pvp.  I read on the forums that hitboxes were pretty small, too.  Lag and small hitboxes make me sad. 

Being a fan of Guild Wars, I was happy with the innovative combat system in TCoS (minus the epilepsy needed for jumping).  The art style, questing, and rpg-elements were immersive.

This thread has intriged me.  I might be seeing you guys soon.

• japojapo Member Posts: 306

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Im waiting for it to be officially f2p with an actual development team behind it.

Right now the Devs are just letting people play until the actual f2p client is released.

I'm not interested in playing a game that isnt supported sorry.

^This ^

It's the same reason I stopped playing Vanguard. 

If the devs and current owner of the game won't actively support it, why should I ?

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

I tried the game and I really liked it at first... but after a couple of days it got to the point where the questing just started to feel repetitive and I saw no one around. I am a big PvP fan and I also felt that the PvP was pretty pointless and difficult to find (again due to the population).

I was also a bit put off by the fact that my character's appearance really never changes depending on factors like gear. I know this isn't a hugely important thing, but it is a nice touch in other MMOs.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

im trying something different!from the google i saw ,the issue would be our os being too new or too old since i dont know witch os is recommended i use the xp3  compatibility mode if it is indeed this it will be the first program i use that need compatibility mode.now i might know why compatibility mode is there lol!by the way today their site works.

Originally posted by merv808

I love how all the poll options involving not liking the game are insulting.

I liked the characters in spellborn, i liked the world. I didn't like the combat. No, I didn't find it to be too complex, I just didn't like it. I also don't like the lack of gear.

ultimately, i just don't think the game was interesting enough. It is definitely different, but i am not among those that thinks everything in MMOs is broken

I fail to see how the poll options are insulting to anyone mate.  I was just interested to see why people weren't playing the game - ok so you didn't like the game - thats fine.

I was only able to include 10 poll options - i'd have liked to offer more but due to the forum limitations was unable to.

If people found the game boring is that an insult to anyone?

If people found the combat complex - is that insulting to anyone?

I guess i just didnt have the option for you - that you simply didnt like it - thats fine, good luck With Atlantica..

@Japo - Read my initial post please.  Playing TCOS your not actualy supporting anything - you dont pay for it so what are you supporting?  The reason for this thread was to maybe introduce the game to people who might not have heard of it.  I feel the game is something that should at least be tried by anyone with a remote interest in MMO's - to dismiss it on the grounds of no support for the sake of a 3.5gb download is a bit silly - you never know you might just enjoy it?

@Anubisan - The questing in this game is no different from any other admittedly - what is different is the style of writing, the humour and the lore.  Also you begin to feel that you have a real purpose.  I guess a lot of players these days dont read the quest texts but for me its a huge part of the enjoyment i get out of any MMO.  Spellborn does have a lot of text to read which may be off putting for some.

Regarding the gear i think one problem here is that people can make themselves look awesome straight away from character creation - there's a lot of choices for armour and weapons there.

But having said that there is a lot of gear in this game to collect.  Some things are given as quest rewards - mainly starting upwards lvl 15, but most of it is gotten from monster drops in the form of Broken Items.  Any Broken Item that is dropped can be changed into a recipe and then crafted at the forge if you have the right materials.   Slowly but surely you will be building new armour sets and believe me the Crafted armour pieces look much better than any of the stuff to begin with.

Then of course you want to insert Sigils into your weapons and armour to make them unique and custom to your character.

So to say your character never changes isnt true at all - i think its more true to say that to completely change the look of your character takes a lot longer, and is ultimately more rewarding.

I've got so much recipes in my inventory its untrue - i just need to go and gather the mats :)

Edit - just realised i type way too much :)

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

Originally posted by paulrgod

Originally posted by Tazlor

i actually was about to download the game, but then i read about how it's in freeze state. what does that mean? they aren't making any updates? when will it be out of freeze state?

The Frozen state means that for now it will not recieve any further content updates.  But dont think the game has no content or anything like that.  The game is fully realised, though you may encounter some bugged quests here and there and there are a few later locations you cannot enter but What your getting here is a game that was once P2P fully free.  I used to pay to play the game and didnt feel ripped off in any way, theres hundreds of quests, massive world, loads of enemies, instances etc

There's no cash shop, no suscription fees, just a great game to play for free - even if its just a secondary game you've nothing to lose..

The only thing is that once Frogster do release the updated version - it is unclear wether a character wipe will be necessary.

i see. so now frogster is taking over instead of acclaim?

i actually was about to download the game, but then i read about how it's in freeze state. what does that mean? they aren't making any updates? when will it be out of freeze state?

The Frozen state means that for now it will not recieve any further content updates.  But dont think the game has no content or anything like that.  The game is fully realised, though you may encounter some bugged quests here and there and there are a few later locations you cannot enter but What your getting here is a game that was once P2P fully free.  I used to pay to play the game and didnt feel ripped off in any way, theres hundreds of quests, massive world, loads of enemies, instances etc

There's no cash shop, no suscription fees, just a great game to play for free - even if its just a secondary game you've nothing to lose..

The only thing is that once Frogster do release the updated version - it is unclear wether a character wipe will be necessary.

Eventually Yes - Frogster are currently redeveloping the game with a cash shop model.  Though no-one knows how long thats going to be. 

• dippitydodahdippitydodah Member Posts: 130

I was excited for this game and followed the development for about 2 years, but the combat system was...not to my liking in the least.   You set up your skills then just hold the button down while it cycles through them... for me that couldn't get much more boring push 1 or 3 then hold down the mouse button while it goes crazy. 

Many of the skills are chains and setup moves that need to be used after other skills,  very little reactive gameplay in that kind of set up I've seen chain skills in other games too and it limits how you use your character.   But setting up long chains can be fun but in the end it really didn't feel very interactive because of it.

The art style, lore and world were top notch, similar style to fable but a bit darker fantasy,  for me it was purely the way the combat played out  I play games largely for pvp and exploration of a world  it had half of what i was looking for.

Originally posted by dippitydodah

I was excited for this game and followed the development for about 2 years, but the combat system was...not to my liking in the least.   You set up your skills then just hold the button down while it cycles through them... for me that couldn't get much more boring push 1 or 3 then hold down the mouse button while it goes crazy. 

Many of the skills are chains and setup moves that need to be used after other skills,  very little reactive gameplay in that kind of set up I've seen chain skills in other games too and it limits how you use your character.   But setting up long chains can be fun but in the end it really didn't feel very interactive because of it.

The art style, lore and world were top notch, similar style to fable but a bit darker fantasy,  for me it was purely the way the combat played out  I play games largely for pvp and exploration of a world  it had half of what i was looking for.

Out of interest - what level did you reach?  Your description of combat couldnt be further from the truth.

This is the most strategic, and action based combat system of any mmo out.  If you were just holding the mouse button down i guess you got killed lots :)

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

Eventually Yes - Frogster are currently redeveloping the game with a cash shop model.  Though no-one knows how long thats going to be. 

till licence of acclaim end!next year if i recal

Out of interest - what level did you reach?  Your description of combat couldnt be further from the truth.

This is the most strategic, and action based combat system of any mmo out.  If you were just holding the mouse button down i guess you got killed lots :)

I got to whatever the max level was before i had to sub and tested most of the skill choices in duels ect.   From what I read in posts as well in later combat it is very skill chain and deck setup oriented so I don't think it will change greatly from what I've witnessed except of course grow in complexity of skills, debuffs, buffs.. the cycling deck it'self I did not like  you have several choices of linear paths you setup in actions and you can set up those actions of course before hand.

I didn't say it wasn't strategic, but I don't really think it's very reactive the feel FOR ME was way off.

I got to whatever the max level was before i had to sub and tested most of the skill choices in duels ect.   From what I read in posts as well in later combat it is very skill chain and deck setup oriented so I don't think it will change greatly from what I've witnessed except of course grow in complexity of skills, debuffs, buffs.. the cycling deck it'self I did not like  you have several choices of linear paths you setup in actions and you can set up those actions of course before hand.

I didn't say it wasn't strategic, but I don't really think it's very reactive the feel FOR ME was way off.

Ah ok - you played to lvl 7 then :)

and how would you propose than any of my conclusions are false?

Ok for starters your Skilldeck will be at 4x4 (out of a potential 5x6) this is very limited in scope compared to later in the game.  You may also not have enough unique skills at this level to populate each slot with a unique skill - so Skill cooldowns will have to be considered.

You may be able to hold the mouse button down to cycle a single column of skills but thats to be expected at lower levels - the combat systems comlexity isn't exactly present at that stage.

Now we also need to look at the components a single skill is built from.  Apart from a few basic lvl 1 skills most are built of complex sub abilities.  A Melle Strike has much more to it than just a hit with your weapon.

For example i have a skill that if i hit successfully it is very useful to me, however if i miss my opponent it can surely lose me a fight as it will disarm me for 12 seconds meaning i cannot use any melle skills for 12 seconds - pretty much more than enough time for a mage to annihilate me.  In this sense skill timing is very important - something that would be impossible just holding down the mouse button.

Another thing to mention on skills is that the mouse crosshair changes depending on the skill and the situation - it will tell you if your in range - if the skill will be AOE etc

Next one has to understand the States System in the game - States consist of 3 bars under your HP - Physique, Morale and Concentration

• Physique - Increases Movement Speed

• Morale - Increases Damage Dealt

• Concentration - Increases Skilldeck Rotation Speed

Each state by default is at 5 dots out of 10 - meaning that is your default movement speed, damage rate and skilldeck rotation speed.

States can be increased in 2 ways - by earning levels in PEP or by using skills.

PEP levels are earned by fighting (seperate to your fame level) and can be levelled upto a max of level 5.

States increase by one dot permanently (until a pep level is lost by death) at PEP 1, 3 and 5 - meaning at PEP 5 your states will be at 8 dots out of 10.  You will be really fast, Hit much Harder and be able to use skills faster as the deck rotates faster.

States can also be increased by using skills in battle, and likeweise can be decreased by a clever opponent.

For example a Mage fighting a warrior may want to use skills to lower the Warriors Physique - at 0 physique a warrior will slow to a crawl giving time for the mage to get some distance and pepper him with Ranged spells.

The Warrior on the other hand may want to boost his physique so he can rush in, and then use skills to lower the mages concentration so he can't cast spells very fast.

The states system is a very interesting system and works alongside the skills and skilldeck.. If your not thinking about the combat situation and just holding the mouse button down cycling through a column of skills your gonna get seriously hammered later on :)  The idea behind the skilldeck is that you must always have access to a skill that is going to be useful in any situation.

Then there are Combos to think about - Some skills are 'Combo Starters' These initiate a combo - you must then fill up the combo with filler skills (normal skills) and eventually end with a 'Combo Finisher' - a Combo in all will be 8 skills long - So Starter > 6 fillers > Finisher

If you manage to complete a combo the finisher usually has some sort of multiplier - meaning that if you hit all 8 combo hits the finisher will deal 8x damage or damage 8 nearby enemies, heal comrades x8 stronger than nomral or something similar.

Something else - while not directly to do with the combat system it's worth mentioning that the enemies outside the starter zones are frighteningly intelligent - have you ever been kited by npc mobs?   No didn't think so...  These enemies will kite you, ambush you, and basically get you in all kinds of trouble if your not thinking :) 

Well that about explains 'The Basic's of spellborn combat - you'd not really get too far holding down the mouse and hoping for the best.

It's Action Packed

It's Dynamic

And It's Reactive

Hope this helps!

• japojapo Member Posts: 306

@Japo - Read my initial post please.  Playing TCOS your not actualy supporting anything - you dont pay for it so what are you supporting?  The reason for this thread was to maybe introduce the game to people who might not have heard of it.  I feel the game is something that should at least be tried by anyone with a remote interest in MMO's - to dismiss it on the grounds of no support for the sake of a 3.5gb download is a bit silly - you never know you might just enjoy it?

I did read your post....and I played the game at release and for quite some time after that.  I was one of the biggest supporters on the Official boards before they became the Acclaim boards. 

The game is fun and I actually enjoyed playing it.  However, like I said, I just can't support a game that doesn't get supported by the people that run it.  I'm not talkiing financially supporting it....I know it's free. 

MMORPGs require a time investment and a commitment by the player to be a part of the community and the game,.  That's the only way they succeed. 

In orderfor that "player commitment" to occur, there needs to be some kind of commitment to the game and active development from the game's devs.  There is none of that from Acclaim/Frogster. 

They have been talking for about 11 months about setting up a cash shop and changing some things about the game. Nothing has happened and communication is dreadful...just like the day it was originally supposed to be released (remember that fiasco?). 

Right now, it's a dead game.  That's not a comment on the community or lack of players.  It's in reference to the fact that nothing has happened or changed in the game in almost a year.

If they won't take or make the time to get things moving, then I won't make the time to play it.

But, I hope you get more people in there.  It really is a unique and interesting game.

Ok for starters your Skilldeck will be at 4x4 (out of a potential 5x6) this is very limited in scope compared to later in the game.  You may also not have enough unique skills at this level to populate each slot with a unique skill - so Skill cooldowns will have to be considered.

You may be able to hold the mouse button down to cycle a single column of skills but thats to be expected at lower levels - the combat systems comlexity isn't exactly present at that stage.

Now we also need to look at the components a single skill is built from.  Apart from a few basic lvl 1 skills most are built of complex sub abilities.  A Melle Strike has much more to it than just a hit with your weapon.

For example i have a skill that if i hit successfully it is very useful to me, however if i miss my opponent it can surely lose me a fight as it will disarm me for 12 seconds meaning i cannot use any melle skills for 12 seconds - pretty much more than enough time for a mage to annihilate me.  In this sense skill timing is very important - something that would be impossible just holding down the mouse button.

Another thing to mention on skills is that the mouse crosshair changes depending on the skill and the situation - it will tell you if your in range - if the skill will be AOE etc

Next one has to understand the States System in the game - States consist of 3 bars under your HP - Physique, Morale and Concentration

• Physique - Increases Movement Speed

• Morale - Increases Damage Dealt

• Concentration - Increases Skilldeck Rotation Speed

Each state by default is at 5 dots out of 10 - meaning that is your default movement speed, damage rate and skilldeck rotation speed.

States can be increased in 2 ways - by earning levels in PEP or by using skills.

PEP levels are earned by fighting (seperate to your fame level) and can be levelled upto a max of level 5.

States increase by one dot permanently (until a pep level is lost by death) at PEP 1, 3 and 5 - meaning at PEP 5 your states will be at 8 dots out of 10.  You will be really fast, Hit much Harder and be able to use skills faster as the deck rotates faster.

States can also be increased by using skills in battle, and likeweise can be decreased by a clever opponent.

For example a Mage fighting a warrior may want to use skills to lower the Warriors Physique - at 0 physique a warrior will slow to a crawl giving time for the mage to get some distance and pepper him with Ranged spells.

The Warrior on the other hand may want to boost his physique so he can rush in, and then use skills to lower the mages concentration so he can't cast spells very fast.

The states system is a very interesting system and works alongside the skills and skilldeck.. If your not thinking about the combat situation and just holding the mouse button down cycling through a column of skills your gonna get seriously hammered later on :)  The idea behind the skilldeck is that you must always have access to a skill that is going to be useful in any situation.

Then there are Combos to think about - Some skills are 'Combo Starters' These initiate a combo - you must then fill up the combo with filler skills (normal skills) and eventually end with a 'Combo Finisher' - a Combo in all will be 8 skills long - So Starter > 6 fillers > Finisher

If you manage to complete a combo the finisher usually has some sort of multiplier - meaning that if you hit all 8 combo hits the finisher will deal 8x damage or damage 8 nearby enemies, heal comrades x8 stronger than nomral or something similar.

Something else - while not directly to do with the combat system it's worth mentioning that the enemies outside the starter zones are frighteningly intelligent - have you ever been kited by npc mobs?   No didn't think so...  These enemies will kite you, ambush you, and basically get you in all kinds of trouble if your not thinking :) 

Well that about explains 'The Basic's of spellborn combat - you'd not really get too far holding down the mouse and hoping for the best.

It's Action Packed

It's Dynamic

And It's Reactive

Hope this helps!

Well now that I can get farther into the game without a cash commitment I'll give it another shot and see how it plays out.   I do remember the 3 different action bars and how they worked, it made debuffs incredibly powerful tho I'm sure down the road in skills you get more counter skills and buffs to work in direct opposition to the debuffs.  

I'm not totally opposed to playing a low population game usually the community that is present is better that way.   I do worry they will shitcan our characters when acclaim switches over but the way I look at it if I do enjoy the game I won't mind starting over on a new server with the knowledge I'd gain in the mean time.

any server suggestion?

Theres only the 2 servers mate - a PVP one and a non PVP one.

I'm on the PVP server.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Hi Guys,

Good to see some of you biting the bullet and giving the game a go - happy to see some positive results of this thread.

Some answers to some of your posts :-

@BarCrow - There is no sub fee to this game - in its current state it's completely free - though it did use to cost to play  Also see my initial post for a working download link and manual patch download.

@Chile267 - Again there's a working download in my initial post and several others have also posted working links.

@RedneckSmith - I dont get any lag or performance issues at all - i have an ATI 4850 and can run the game smoothly at 1920x1080 with 24xAA and 16x AF.  There is something you can try for poor performance :-

• Close The Game

• Goto C:program files he chronicles of spellborndatacache

• Here you will see a folder called "shaderscache", delete it. (don't worry if you delete this folder and leave nothing in cache it will remake it when you login).  However, we do not want it to remake itself as that's whats causing the slowdown.

• Now create a text file, delete the .txt extension at the end of the file and rename the file to "shaderscache" without the quotes.

• Right click on the file you just created and go to properties. Now check the box that says read only and then click OK.

• Restart the game and see if performance is improved.

@dzikun - No problem mate - good to see your enjoying it so far

@Semajin - There's no need to install another game - it's only a particular file needed from that gameguard.  Links to the fix are in this thread where you can download the single file to fix it.

Thanks...Actually the affordability aspect pertained to time as well..not just money. Two MMO at a time is plenty..with life...work..going back to school and console games as well...you get the point. That being said...the windows 7 torrent will probably fix my issue...as I have not seen that  one before and all other attempts at resolution failed. So...I think I will download it again..and keep it on the side to enjoy..since it is free and fun. Again..thanks.

• GamerAeonGamerAeon Member Posts: 567

Not a problem the Torrent is up and running for anyone who needs it running Win7

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

The download torrent worked fine on win7...but i am still getting an "error with Gameguard.." after I hit start...any quick fixes?

• fobarfobar Member UncommonPosts: 7

Originally posted by BarCrow

The download torrent worked fine on win7...but i am still getting an "error with Gameguard.." after I hit start...any quick fixes?

Did you unzip GameGuard_Windows_7_Fix.zip and follow the instructions in the textfile?