Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dark Ages Of Camelot.... worth it?

GeminiStaticGeminiStatic Member UncommonPosts: 182

People have been recommending to me DAoC for awhile now because I love open world PvP and a large variety of classes. The only thing that scares me is logging on and then its like a major ghost town and I have no other "noobs" to kill. 

My computer is not really speced up to play awesome graphic games. The best it plays is EQ2 at its low graphics and runs it perfect. This is me using Parallels Deskto 5 on my 2008 Black Macbook. (which surprises me) 

So I like open world PvP games with a large variety of classes to choose from... or skill based. 

Would you recommend me to try DAoC even in these days where the game is totally out dated population is a little important to me..... :/

Old School Gamer - http://www.rsclegacy.com/

Comments

• VotanVotan Member UncommonPosts: 291

DarK Ages is not open world PvP.  It is frontier based pvp.  While you can level in the frontier the game does have a lot of pve only area's. 

As to your question that is up to you.  I would check to see if they have a free trial, if they do then it could not hurt if you are not doing anything else.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011

Originally posted by GeminiStatic

People have been recommending to me DAoC for awhile now because I love open world PvP and a large variety of classes. The only thing that scares me is logging on and then its like a major ghost town and I have no other "noobs" to kill. 

My computer is not really speced up to play awesome graphic games. The best it plays is EQ2 at its low graphics and runs it perfect. This is me using Parallels Deskto 5 on my 2008 Black Macbook. (which surprises me) 

So I like open world PvP games with a large variety of classes to choose from... or skill based. 

Would you recommend me to try DAoC even in these days where the game is totally out dated population is a little important to me..... :/

Somehow I think your pc should be fine.

As Votan said, it's not open world, it's Realm vs Realm. You aren't going to be killing "noobs" in your area. there seems to be a decent population playing.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

There is an open PvP server, Mordred, but I have no idea what the pop is like.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Is there a classic server? If so is it fairly populated? Been slightly jealous of reading about those guys playing Vanguard from this site (though I'm happy for them) and thinking about subscribing to something since this is finals week and summer approaches. Didn't want to play with ToA though.

Thanks in advance.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Nope, no classic. People here posted it was really popular but when I asked around in game everyone said it was no good and least popular. /shrug. Dunno, I wasn't there.

As far as the ToA stuff, I don't think it has the effect on the game it did at launch. It's mostly about Master levels, champion levels and RR these days. I hear a lot of people going to ToA areas to grind for glass. Thats about it.

I'm not going to pretend to know for sure however. 

• keolienkeolien Member Posts: 198

Garith and the other classic server are no more, Mythic formed a super cluster called Ywain and transfered everyone to it, even the EU servers are coming or gone already.

As far daoc being skill based, not anymore. You will find that gear/master levels/champion levels make a huge diffrence in daoc. Giving casters the ability to place nodes that make stealthers light up like a christmas tree, a skilled non templated character against a skilled templated character the templated character will always win.

Getting a toon templated is one of the most over-burden things about daoc, I just recently cancelled my subs. It cost me 400p to template my warrior. Thats quite a bit of $$.

The community is well, terrible.

The want and need to run more then 1 account at a time, I could run 3 accounts at once and still not get all the buffs available for my realm. Alot of people run a crap ton of accounts and in rvr/pvp it shows

I will say daoc is a very addictive and fun game tho, regardless of all the downsides and grinds involved.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

If you haven't played in a while, it is at least worth a look. I'm on day 7 of a 10-day veterans visit, and tried creating a new character last night. The tutorial is greatly expanded from the last time I played 3-4 years ago. My vague recollection was bashing some dummies, then some guards, then go outside to kill an invader and carry a message to the village; sell loot to a merchant and buy a cloak, then get a horse ticket to the regular game. Now the Midgard tutorial has class trainers, lots more quests and reward gear, travel on horses and boats and griffins, and goes up to level 10 or so. There is even access to that first PvP dungeon (where I was promptly potted by a Lurrikeen 3 levels above me). Be careful how you exit this dungeon or you could wind up in the regular game instead of the tutorial. But you can get back in by re-entering the dungeon and using the correct exit. Interesting, but I doubt I'll stay; I already have my hands full with CoX, EQ2 and maybe some more EQ.