Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can we get some people into the Game? (Poll)

Comments

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

i actually was about to download the game, but then i read about how it's in freeze state. what does that mean? they aren't making any updates? when will it be out of freeze state?

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

ty for the link i ll try that see if it works ,

• paulrgodpaulrgod Member UncommonPosts: 240

Originally posted by Tazlor

i actually was about to download the game, but then i read about how it's in freeze state. what does that mean? they aren't making any updates? when will it be out of freeze state?

The Frozen state means that for now it will not recieve any further content updates.  But dont think the game has no content or anything like that.  The game is fully realised, though you may encounter some bugged quests here and there and there are a few later locations you cannot enter but What your getting here is a game that was once P2P fully free.  I used to pay to play the game and didnt feel ripped off in any way, theres hundreds of quests, massive world, loads of enemies, instances etc

There's no cash shop, no suscription fees, just a great game to play for free - even if its just a secondary game you've nothing to lose..

The only thing is that once Frogster do release the updated version - it is unclear wether a character wipe will be necessary.

• Redline65Redline65 Member Posts: 486

Character wipe is the reason I'm really not interested in the game at this point. I played it for a little while before it "died" (no more updates till F2P) and found it to be a pretty fun game, but I'll wait until it's reborn to get back into it and start fresh. I just can't see putting any time into a character that may go 'poof'.

But on the other hand with an added cash shop you may have to pay to progress somewhat in the game afterwards?

When the game relaunches and they add stupid PEP potions and other rediculous things you may be wishing you'd experienced the game the way it was intended by its original developers..

And as i stated there's no definite character wipe happening, the fact is that no-one actually knows...

• LizEstSuperLizEstSuper Member Posts: 2

Hello,

I actually played the game with the person who started this post, he helped me while I was in the starting zone.  I have only been playing about two days, but the game is great, the gameplay is neat, the areas are cool, the design is nice.  There is a lack of people, but if all the people saying that there is too low of a population would play, then there would be quite a few more players.  The game has been free for almost a year, so you also must assume that the majority of players are going to be in higher level areas as well.  Once you get past the lame download issues, the game is great.  Like what was previously stated,  it is free so why not give it a try.

• CzelsiorCzelsior Member Posts: 41

Originally posted by paulrgod

And as i stated there's no definite character wipe happening, the fact is that no-one actually knows...

just to add:

The last acclaim GM Enigma said ingame to me,that there won't be any char wipe with the new version of Spellborn

-The Chronicles of Spellborn-
    Czelsior - Wrathguard LvL 50 -Dorzhan
    Kaiyn - Trickster LvL 50 - Deiquonril

TCoS Gameplay videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/czelsior

• kingtommyboykingtommyboy Member Posts: 543

I've played it a bid. The combat system is really awesome, and the world looks great and has a special sphere

But I dunno, I didn't get into it, I need to get sucked into a game, or I won't keep playing it ^^ and that just didn't happen, but that's just me. Apart from that I have to say that TCOS is really a gem

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    waiting for ... nothing..

Originally posted by Czelsior

Originally posted by paulrgod

just to add:

The last acclaim GM Enigma said ingame to me,that there won't be any char wipe with the new version of Spellborn

Great - cheers for the info mate.

So no Wipe - nothing to lose!

Originally posted by kingtommyboy

I've played it a bid. The combat system is really awesome, and the world looks great and has a special sphere

But I dunno, I didn't get into it, I need to get sucked into a game, or I won't keep playing it ^^ and that just didn't happen, but that's just me. Apart from that I have to say that TCOS is really a gem

Mind if i ask why it didnt suck you in?  What aspects you didnt like etc? 

• Crit0nCrit0n Member Posts: 1

I've never tried it before, but wth i'll give it a go.  Game name will be Criton, if it is available.  Downloading now.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I really liked the game. The art style and world were great. It kind of reminded me of  the Spelljammer worlds from AD&D 3rd edition. Really different ...fun...and humorous as well.. Crafting wasn't bad..and the combat wheel truly put a different spin on melee (pun intended). I tried to download it again recently but it keeps giving me all sorts of problems...tried some googled work arounds to no avail.

The main reason I stopped playing was that  I just can't afford too many subs...so I mainly stay with AoC..Fallen Earth and WOW (currently not subbed..probably wont again until Cataclysm). I plan  on trying it again when they "relaunch"  the revamped version..though the way it was seemed fine to me...Why are they revamping it anyway?..hope it doesnt lose it's charm.

• Chile267Chile267 Member UncommonPosts: 141

I was going to give it a shot until Xsyon came out but the download page doesn't seem to work. Oh well.

• LizEstSuperLizEstSuper Member Posts: 2

To people having issue downloading, read this thread.  I did what the 5th poster said to, and it worked perfect for me. http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/271763

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Tried it a while back, didn't stick with it because performance was horrible. Low FPS combined with really bad lag made the game nigh unplayable in many areas (lots of stuttering). And yes, I exceed the recommended system requirements. The network lag made the twitch based combat pretty much a moot point anyway.

As far as content goes, its nothing new. Go here, kill this, deliver that, etc. The art style is nice, but the world feels generic overall. Been there, done that, have the T-shirt to prove it.

Bottom line: It has a few neat ideas and nice artwork, but generic overall design and terrible performance drove me away. I think it ranks in the top tier of F2P games I've tried despite the faults, but that's not saying much.

for those having issue read post 24 of this tread the dud link solution didnt have the time to try it yet but other seems to have used it and it seems to work!

i tried the full version(poster 40 )and i got a gameguard error 0 when i tried to login but aside from that the full version downloaded patched and the verifier worked fine!so post 40 to have the full version and poster 24 link to get the gameguard issue resolved!

• dzikundzikun Member Posts: 150

Ok... I saw the game a few years (?) back and i didn't quite like the combat system they shown... intrugued by your post i did try the game tho. 

I only past the turtorial a second or two ago and i must say this game has a great "feel" about it. They menaged to get me a bit interested in the world they created and thats rare nowdays. I still can't "feel" the combat system. Maybe because i'm used to something different... But i am looking forward to seeing a bit more of this world.

The strange thing is this game is of good quality- Graphics are nice and so is the sound (altho its a bit "eerie" buit it adds to the mood of the game)- but still it is empty... After an hour or so of playing i saw no random chatter or anything on the chat box...

To sum it up... It looks like its the best mmo i played in a while... Maybe i'm saying this too soon but... i'm interested in it.

Thanks for this thread.

I've been uplinked and downloaded, I've been inputted and outsourced. I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading.

I'm a high-tech low-life. A cutting-edge, state-of-the-art, bi-coastal multi-tasker, and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond.

I'm new-wave, but I'm old-school; and my inner child is outward-bound.

I'm a hot-wired, heat-seeking, warm-hearted cool customer; voice-activated and bio-degradable.

RIP George Carlin.

• GamerAeonGamerAeon Member Posts: 567

Gameguard issue is definately a pain in the ass to resolve.

TCoS has some definate enchanting music to it but unless there's a HUGE WAVE of population soon the game is still gonna be pretty quiet.

The combat does take some getting used to

If you're used to point click kill hah get ready to have your eyes opened to the world of Active Combat Revolvers :)

• semajinsemajin Member UncommonPosts: 47

thanks

Doc

Hi Guys,

Good to see some of you biting the bullet and giving the game a go - happy to see some positive results of this thread.

Some answers to some of your posts :-

@BarCrow - There is no sub fee to this game - in its current state it's completely free - though it did use to cost to play  Also see my initial post for a working download link and manual patch download.

@Chile267 - Again there's a working download in my initial post and several others have also posted working links.

@RedneckSmith - I dont get any lag or performance issues at all - i have an ATI 4850 and can run the game smoothly at 1920x1080 with 24xAA and 16x AF.  There is something you can try for poor performance :-

• Close The Game

• Goto C:program files he chronicles of spellborndatacache

• Here you will see a folder called "shaderscache", delete it. (don't worry if you delete this folder and leave nothing in cache it will remake it when you login).  However, we do not want it to remake itself as that's whats causing the slowdown.

• Now create a text file, delete the .txt extension at the end of the file and rename the file to "shaderscache" without the quotes.

• Right click on the file you just created and go to properties. Now check the box that says read only and then click OK.

• Restart the game and see if performance is improved.

@dzikun - No problem mate - good to see your enjoying it so far

@Semajin - There's no need to install another game - it's only a particular file needed from that gameguard.  Links to the fix are in this thread where you can download the single file to fix it.
  • nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Topic title made me laugh, sorry.

Originally posted by nyxium

Topic title made me laugh, sorry.

Thanks for the useful contribution...

• CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232

I had been following TCoS for a long while before release and had every intention to play.  Until I heard it turns to open PvP at later levels and you can't progress without it.   I would absolutely give it a go if I didn't have to deal with that.

Originally posted by Cherise

I had been following TCoS for a long while before release and had every intention to play.  Until I heard it turns to open PvP at later levels and you can't progress without it.   I would absolutely give it a go if I didn't have to deal with that.

On the PVP server that is true.  There is a non PVP server, though certain later areas are still contested there.

But the PVP in the game is a lot of fun and there's no penalty for dying in PVP.

by the way i sent the file gameguard asked so they could fix the issue.their response(this game no longer use our service please contact the gamresponsabible since we know acclaim put it there only because its their way of shelfing it instead of putting it on a real shelf there is not to correct the gameguar issue aside from the post made in their forum.i ll try that later see if it works!no hellp on accaim end and no help on gameguard end!we are on our own on this one!