Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crysis 2 writer thinks Halo is full of 'bullsh*t'

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Halo can be a divisive game, but there's no denying that it has its fans, many of which consider the franchise's narrative to be a grand and engrossing sci-fi epic. Unfortunately, Crysis 2's lead writer, Richard Morgan, disagrees. He thinks the game is full of bullsh*t.

Morgan was asked about how hard it is to create a believable character whose face is hidden by a helmet. He argued that the helmet isn't the problem, and offered Master Chief as an example: "I don't like Halo at all. The reason that its fiction doesn't work has nothing to do with the fact that you don't get to see Master Chief's face; it's because of lines like 'Okay … I’m gonna get up there and kill those guys.'

"... Halo is full of these bullsh*t archetypal characters."

Morgan also added that Bungie's flagship series has "no real emotional effect" thanks to its stock characters and corny dialog. Hopefully this accomplished author can put his money where his mouth is and craft a terrific story with Crysis 2. He's just laid down the gauntlet, and anything less than total success will now be unacceptable.

Source: http://www.destructoid.com/crysis-2-writer-thinks-halo-is-full-of-bullsh-t--170832.phtml

Comments

• HalpHalp Member Posts: 12

What a trash talker. Well at least Crysis is AWESOME.

I'm Canadian EH?

• shadout00shadout00 Member Posts: 253

Yawn. Comparing apples to oranges really.

Crysis will never meet up to the success Halo has. Why? They aren't even on the same category. Crysis will never dominate XBOX/XBOX360. Halo will never dominate the PC (Crysis didn't do so either).

Its easy to criticize when you aren't comparing your body of work to another's.

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

No one plays a shooter for the story. We play so that we can blow shit up and feel cool while we do it.

Yes, Halo had some... inconsistancies.....

For Instance:

• Master Cheif could ride a bomb the size of a mid-sized sedan through the vaccum of space, but he dies instantly when submerged in ten feet of water.

• Master Cheif survives a four kilometer verticle drop but dies instantly when struck by a guy in a gorrilla costume.

• You need a half a clip of ammo to take out most enemies with a gun, but everything dies instantly by a rifle butt to the face.

• Sniper rifles can penetrate energy shields and titanium helmets, but are unable to pass through a wooden crate.

• speaking of wooden crates, this is the only shooter franchise on earth where wooden crates are completely indestructable.

• Yes, I realize that most of the crates were metal. That's why the wooden crates stood out.

• That and the fact that metal crates were completely immobile whereas wooden crates would bounce around like balloons in a whirlwind.

• Notice how I haven't even gotten to the story yet?

So yeah, busting on Halo for being a narrative peice of shit, is like shooting at dead fish in lunchbox.

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

He is commenting on Haloe's story and plot points and i agree. I will say now that i am a PC guy and like most of us we consider a story a good aspect to a game be it shooter or otherwise. I played Halo on the PC  and the story seemed to be just taped onto the game.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981