Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Gazillion Reveals Marvel Super Hero Squad Online MMO

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Gazillion Entertainment has revealed their first MMO based in the Marvel Universe today, Super Hero Squad Online! Super Hero Squad Online is a MMO directed at the younger crowd, and is based specifically on the popular Super Hero Squad IP which is known for its impressive action figure line and animated series.

Super Hero Squad Online is being developed by Gazillion's The Amazing Society studio, and will allow players to form a squad from a selection of their favorite Marvel superheroes and embark on adventures all over the world and in familiar locations from the TV series. The game will also feature a robust headquarters customization system, where players can show off their trophies and  watch their squad members interact with their created environment.

Super Hero Squad Online is the first MMO being developed as part of Gazillion's 10 year exclusive publishing agreement with Marvel Entertainment. So those of you who are about to freak out that this is "the" Marvel MMO, rest assured, they've got more for ya!

You'll be able to get your first look at SHSO this Friday, May 14th at 12:30AM when the teaser trailer will be revealed on GameTrailers TV.

Visit the official Super Hero Squad Online website here.

Comments

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

First reaction?

"Aw crap!"

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• WarpHunterWarpHunter Member Posts: 147

Seriously? Do they really think there are that many 5-10 year old kids playing mmo's? Whats next, a kipper the dog  mmo.. get the 2-5 year olds.

Warp

• mikejm78mikejm78 Member Posts: 22

First thing... Why?

Next.... Again Why?

• DendroDendro Member Posts: 29

Well, nephew will like it.

As for me ....Meh

Collector of old minis.

Playing WAR:Age of Rekoning

www.oldtimersguild.com

• OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568

Ugh, this "kidding down" of IPs began with the freaking Muppet Babies many, many years ago, and it's all been downhill since.

• ZarcobZarcob Member Posts: 207

Hey, if it gives kids something to play besides the MMO I'm playing, fantastic.  I wish there were more of them.

The morning sun has vanquished the horrible night.

• AutonAuton Member Posts: 48

And Online MMO, huh? As opposed to the ubiquitous offline MMOGs we all know so well, I assume. :-P

Originally posted by Zarcob

Hey, if it gives kids something to play besides the MMO I'm playing, fantastic.  I wish there were more of them.

That is a good point, but I am concerned about any possible talent drain from the 'real' Marvel supers MMO.

It seems almost impossible to make a good MMORPG with the entire company working on just the one.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

Originally posted by Oyjord

Ugh, this "kidding down" of IPs began with the freaking Muppet Babies many, many years ago, and it's all been downhill since.

Do the Muppet babies pre-date the Tiny Toons?

• teddy_bareteddy_bare Member UncommonPosts: 398

Originally posted by WarpHunter

Seriously? Do they really think there are that many 5-10 year old kids playing mmo's?

You'd be surprised....

My son absolutely loves playing Cartoon Networks "kiddie" MMO, Fusion Fall and it's really no big mystery why. These games immerse the kids in a world where they can interact w/ their favorite cartoon characters, have some adventures and platforming fun, meet up with friends in the game, etc. etc, I would have LOVED to have games like these when I was his age. Hell, when I was his age I was just getting into gaming, but the only choices we had were Atari, and Atari, there wasn't even any of that "2600" crap that came later, we just had "Atari".

If the devs of this Super Hero Squad game can keep their core audience, generally 5-10yo boys, and don't try to make things too complicated, and yet don't completely dumb everything down, they could have something somewhat successfull on their hands. My son loves Super Hero Squad, he has a ton of the cool little action figures, and vehicle/base sets, and watches the cartoon religously in the morning before he goes off to school (although it hasn't been on lately). He also really enjoy Fusion Fall, so if the devs can successfully meld the "SHS" IP, w/ an MMO built from the ground up w/ their target audience firmly in mind, it has the potential to be fairly successfull.

On a somewhat related note....I'm kind of surprised and disapointed that a SHS MMO is coming out before a Galactic Heroes MMO. For those that aren't up on today's "hot" toys, Galactic Heroes is an ongoing line of smaller, rubber, Star Wars action figures and vehicle/location sets that were the pre-cursor to all similar action figures they are now making for other IP's, the Galactic Heroes line is one of the all-time best selling Star Wars toy lines, and is way older, and more established then the other lines that are based off it.

Oh well, if this ever does come out I'm sure my son will be excited, and will definitely want to check it out.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by Auton

And Online MMO, huh? As opposed to the ubiquitous offline MMOGs we all know so well, I assume. :-P

Online is part of the title of the game. :P Super Hero Squad Online.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

mm?earh eternal graphic engine?

• FraxtureFraxture Member UncommonPosts: 121

Seriously? Do they really think there are that many 5-10 year old kids playing mmo's? Whats next, a kipper the dog  mmo.. get the 2-5 year olds.

Yes, they do. They have done further research into the genre then you have.

For example, in my household there are 5 occupants. make a Super hero game targetting my household, you will get me to buy the game and play it.

Target my 3 kids, and they have 3 children playing the game out of that household.

My kids make an allowance, and I can see them wanting to play this game together in an online enviroment.

• AtPlayAtPlay Member Posts: 23

As others have said, I have a 6, 8, and 10 year old that all get home from school and fire up RoBlox.  My oldest loves the Super Hero Squad.  Im sure this story made his day...crushed my day.

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

LOL... I love it when the big kids scoff at a game because it's aimed towards a younger crowd. I hope this game is a huge hit, then you might begin to understand why there's so much hate for WoW.

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829

Coming soon...

Fraggle Rock Online

Smurfs Online

Gummi Bears Online

Cabbage Patch Kids Online

then...

Armageddon...not the MMO kind but the end of the world kind...

• Christopher8Christopher8 Member Posts: 134

Ugh.

Is that the result of Disney taking over Marvel?

• eludajaeeludajae Member Posts: 27

This is what you get when Disney Takes over an Teen/Adult Comic House...you get Pokemon on crack. Please Disney just cut up Marvel and sell it...it would be less painful. This is utter crap.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Originally posted by Oyjord

Do the Muppet babies pre-date the Tiny Toons?

yes by several years

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by Ryukan

Coming soon...

Fraggle Rock Online

Smurfs Online

Gummi Bears Online

Cabbage Patch Kids Online

then...

Armageddon...not the MMO kind but the end of the world kind...

Coming soon Candy Land Online for the under fives.

"All right I'm in Molasses Swamp, my own personal hell!"

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544

Prolly fun for kids..

My cousins will prolly play it :P

Currently Playing Path of Exile

• VexeVexe Member Posts: 549

Wait...THIS is what Gazillion was working on?! Dammit. I was really excited. Let's just hope they make it a good game, anyway.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

WTF, and I mean really I guess they want my 3 your old playing mmo's.

I mean really whats up with the toon design.  Somebody should be shot.

• b003b003 Member UncommonPosts: 54

Somebody remembers Fraggle Rock? Now I don't feel so old. But I am curious about this, I.d hope for a Champions type custom design. Can't have kids arguing on who's gonna be iron man.  

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

Originally posted by Vexe

Wait...THIS is what Gazillion was working on?! Dammit. I was really excited. Let's just hope they make it a good game, anyway.

They are also working on Marvel Universe Online, this game is intended to be more along the lines of Free Realms and Wizard 101, while MUO will, hopefully, be more competetive with current SuperMMOs.